Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Fatal shooting by police in London

Post by sheddi » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 am

40-yo man shot to death by police in Islington. Doesn't sound like another Mark Duggan but if you're in the area you should probably stay alert for signs of civic disturbances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29074100
http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/p ... 13386.html
The Independent wrote:Police have shot dead a man who was threatening a woman with a knife at a house in London.

A number of shots were fired during the incident at Shepperton Road in Islington at around 1am and the 40-year-old died 20 minutes later while on route to the hospital, Scotland Yard said. Police had sent a negotiator to the scene at 11.19pm yesterday following reports the man had broken into a house.

The man and woman involved are believed to have known each other, police said. The woman was not harmed but is being treated for shock.

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement: "As in any shooting, officers from the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) have been informed and this incident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)."
By all accounts this is the first fatal police shooting in England and Wales since March 2012.
http://www.inquest.org.uk/statistics/fa ... -shootings
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Re: Fatal shooting by police in London

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:00 pm

The mainland police force is somewhat different in it's operations than over here & I admittedly am not familiar with them so I'll just ask if this was a standard response to this kind of situation?
Edit: it wouldn't have been ordinary place officers as they're not armed so an armed response unit would have been called. I wonder if they thought there was a danger of another beheading :|
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:35 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:The mainland police force is somewhat different in it's operations than over here & I admittedly am not familiar with them so I'll just ask if this was a standard response to this kind of situation?
Edit: it wouldn't have been ordinary place officers as they're not armed so an armed response unit would have been called. I wonder if they thought there was a danger of another beheading :|
I'm no expert but it seems that the armed officers are called in on the infrequent occasions where there's a siege or stand-off with a hostage being held. They rarely get called upon to shoot; more often than not the hostage-taker gives in of their own accord. However they do occasionally get to fire if the hostages are seen to be directly threatened.

And I guess the beheading earlier in the week didn't exactly help matters.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:14 pm

sheddi wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:The mainland police force is somewhat different in it's operations than over here & I admittedly am not familiar with them so I'll just ask if this was a standard response to this kind of situation?
I'm no expert but it seems that the armed officers are called in on the infrequent occasions where there's a siege or stand-off with a hostage being held. They rarely get called upon to shoot; more often than not the hostage-taker gives in of their own accord. However they do occasionally get to fire if the hostages are seen to be directly threatened.

And I guess the beheading earlier in the week didn't exactly help matters.
Yeah I had thought that too, apparently there's been a serious incident in London today thats not a terror incident either.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

ais4122

Post by ais4122 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:16 pm

Chalk up one for the good guys.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”