UK hit by storms

Discussion forum for the United Kingdom ZS chapter

Moderator: ZS Chapter Volunteers

stu_wat

UK hit by storms

Post by stu_wat » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am

To all ZSX members living down south stay safe tonight and use this brief period to get preps sorted.

Hoipoloi

Re: UK hit by storms

Post by Hoipoloi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks

Just ratchet strapped my car port to my BOV so if you see a yellow Vivaro flying from the Midlands area you'll know it's been a bit windy.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Just been around the garden, putting things away and so forth.

I'm bound to lose a few fence panels - it happens every time - but besides that I'm hoping things won't be too bad. Main vulnerabilities are the shed, roof tiles and next-door's tree (which is right next to the fence line but thankfully too short to reach the house).

Besides that, there's the possibility of a power cut (our lines are all above-ground) but we're not flood-prone.

By Gulf of Mexico standards this is no biggie, a Cat 1 hurricane at best, so don't expect much sympathy from the US ZSers!
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Hoipoloi

Post by Hoipoloi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Britain cannot experience hurricanes - the word is used for tropical cyclones when they form in the Atlantic and north-east Pacific.

These are low pressure systems which develop over tropical or sub-tropical waters - not the cold waters around Britain - which become "cyclones" once wind speeds reach 74mph (119km/h).
Just something I learned today.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:56 pm

I always call them Gales.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

freenarative
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, 28 days/weeks later (viral outbreak not zombie but still,,,,)

Post by freenarative » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:29 am

IMHO, I don't know what all the fuss is about?! Sure, It's a little windy and there is a spattering of rain [read: I swear I just saw a cow flying past my window while some guy canoed down the high street].
Being the good English prepper that I am I have NOTHING to do apart from watch the tv and make sure that the kettle is full and the brewing tackle is stocked up.

In all seriousness now though; Please, be safe. Baton down the hatches, shore up the doors and if you come out of this unscathed could you please make sure that others are ok too. Friends, family, neighbours, the elderly Etc.
Drichar Deis wrote:Sledge hammer to the forehead, night night cow ;)
Prepping; Why prep? Well just think of it as a physical form of insurance. You insure your home "just in case" it gets robbed. Why not prep "just in case" the poop hits the propeller?

stu_wat

Post by stu_wat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:55 am

Missed me and family here had heavy rain and localised flooding but we got off lightly.

Anyone down south learn anything from the experenice and there preps and skills that they would like to share?

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:47 am

stu_wat wrote:Missed me and family here had heavy rain and localised flooding but we got off lightly.

Anyone down south learn anything from the experenice and there preps and skills that they would like to share?
Nothing new. A tree came down near me, that was all. Me and Mine seem to have made it through okay.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:26 am

We lost a couple of fence panels, but that's all.

Locally (and on my commute) there were a few trees & branches down in the roads but nothing big enough to close a road, just block one lane.

A friend ~15 miles away lost power for 48 hours. She's further out in the sticks than I am and this isn't uncommon for her, it happens most years. I offered her the loan of my generator but she wasn't bothered!
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”