ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Re: Chapter Status

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Seriously, in this country its easier to go north/south then it is to go east/west

Quicker for me to get to London then Nottingham for example
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Svothe » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Ad'lan wrote:
sheddi wrote:
ForgeCorvus wrote:
K9medic wrote:Think you answered your own question mate. Does East Anglia still exist these days :mrgreen:
It does from where I'm standing :D
"East of England" from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_of_England" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "includes the ceremonial counties of Essex, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk."

Sort of a "Greater East Anglia"; Großostanglien to allow you some lebensraum ...
Essex has never, and will never be East Anglia. East Anglia is only Norfolk, Suffolk and grudgingly Cambridge.
What do you mean grudgingly cambridge :evil: haha and yeah no we do not include Essex in East Anglia. Eww.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:45 am

ForgeCorvus wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:
K9medic wrote:Aaaaaa so it’s not a real place, more one of those pink fluffy make believe places then :mrgreen:
No that's Northern Ireland
:wink: :lol:
The United Kingdom is one of those places.

If East Anglia had a flag like Cornwall does we wouldn't be having this conversation :P
Royal Flag of East Anglia.

Okay, if we are going local, then I'm in Cambridge, as is Svothe, Forge and 66606 (not see for a while) are in Norfolk. Cambridge was where we had our first meet up. If we were to form a local ZS chapter (and I may or may not be able to get my housemate involved), We could have the meetings in Cambridge, and events across the UK.

There are several problems with this, one is I"m planning on leaving the country, and the other is that still might be too dispersed.

However, we could all still have a meet up in Cambridge.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Ad'lan wrote:However, we could all still have a meet up in Cambridge.
On the right day, I can get to Cambridge for a meet.

It's about 3 hours / 120 miles each way, call it £40 in diesel for the round trip.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
'28 Days Later'

Post by ForgeCorvus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Cambridge, Cheapday return, less then a tenner
London (with travelcard) about twice that

Oh the joys of living near a mainline station
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter

Winner, PMBoB

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 pm

ForgeCorvus wrote:Cambridge, Cheapday return, less then a tenner
London (with travelcard) about twice that

Oh the joys of living near a mainline station
See, rail to Cambridge comes in as £55 same-day, £65 next-day for me.

Plus if I drive I can sleep in my car if necessary ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Svothe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:42 pm

I can ride to Cambridge in about 30 minutes easy. If someone wanted to stay the night there more than welcome to chuck a tent up in the garden and camp out. I'd offer you a room but our house is tiny and still living with the folks (Eurghh) but camping could definitely be done. An East Anglia chapter would do great I think I've got some friends I think I could lure in who have similar interests as well.

P.S Sheddi if you were to drive down your more than welcome to park-up and sleep in car or camp near me, we don't have a Drive as such but its a nice quiet Cul-De-sac and you'd probably be fine to tuck up in the car around here but im 30 minutes drive from camb.

Also, I'm interested in becoming a part of the Chapter Staff if we go local and stay in East Anglia. I'd be more than happy to chip in sometime whenever I can. Will have to get my membership straightened out but still. I'd be happy to do it.

Aeon

Post by Aeon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Apologies I've been travelling with work.

Crypto, Mystic; this is the same kind of bureaucratic diktat that gave ZS:X (and others) such a hard time when they were active that they got disillusioned with the whole premise and gave up. Clearly the arguments about the disparate nature of UK members & arbitrary geographic boundary restrictions are falling on deaf ears. I suggested/encouraged the UK Chapters formation (twice now) on the premise that an official chapter would bring about a sense of camaraderie and encourage others to get involved, but the rules have become so inflexible I don't see how it's possible to create a UK chapter of any sustainable size in the long-term. If the board are going to be obtuse in the face of people who genuinely (and enthusiastically) want to contribute then they take away the only real merits of forming a chapter at all; if I can go camping, have drinks and donate to charity without all the red-tape, political kowtowing and expense of mandatory meetings; whilst not paying for the privilege: then why should I bother?

As it stands you've put me right off the idea...again no less. How's that for 'improving the long-term sustainability of chapters'? :roll:

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Svothe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Its a good thing most of us are first aiders, Because someone just got BURNT! :rofl:

mystic_1
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by mystic_1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Aeon, by all means, if you don't agree with the requirements for starting and operating a ZS chapter, then don't do so. You do not need to run a chapter just to camp, drink, and give money to charity.

Meanwhile, 39 other chapters have started up since ZSC010. The following thread is less than two weeks old: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5&t=102689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

18 ZS chapters have been launched in calendar year 2012. Many of them got of to modest starts indeed, but they did get started.

Sorry it didn't work out Aeon.

Meanwhile, if anyone else in this thread has any questions about launching a chapter, emails are always welcome at chapters@zombiehunters.org
Image Image Image

ZS Chapter Volunteer
● Want to start a ZS chapter? ● Want to find other ZS members near you? ● Want to make your chapter more successful?
Email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

See also: ● ZS Event CalendarZS Wiki

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Aeon wrote:Apologies I've been travelling with work.

Crypto, Mystic; this is the same kind of bureaucratic diktat that gave ZS:X (and others) such a hard time when they were active that they got disillusioned with the whole premise and gave up.
With all due respect, Aeon, you are badly whitewashing the reasons for the chapters collapse. I had many, many long conversations with all of the people involved as it was happening including, as I remember, yourself. As I remember the torrid details of that drama, I don't seem to recall it having too much to do with board/chapter policies and everything to do with interpersonal conflicts within the chapter, with you very much as a nexus of the drama.

As it stands you've put me right off the idea...again no less. How's that for 'improving the long-term sustainability of chapters'? :roll:
Perhaps some new leadership willing to work within the chapter system would be more productive next time.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:52 pm

As someone who was friendly with a lot of the ZSX people, and was there when it collapsed, I have to say that ZS Policies were not on the table as a major cause of it doing so.

As a chapter VP who was initially part of a regional chapter, then a state chapter, and now a local one... It doesn't work mate. What happens is this: You get a ton of people interested, who all sign up online. Then wherever the largest group is centralized becomes the ACTUAL chapter-served area. After 6mo anyone who was actually willing to drive/ride 3 hours to get to events in the first place burns out, and it becomes a local chapter by default. All the board has done is cut out the waiting period and discontent involved. Sure, you will have a harder time starting a chapter, but those that start will actually last.

Why go through all the trouble to make a cake for 30 people if only 4 can actually eat some?
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:23 pm

With all due respect to all involved. I was not a chapter officer when ZX10 was formed, though I was a member and attended the mock bug out as well as donating to the inital charity event. I have over the years gathered a little information on why the chapter folded, though to be honest, I have no great intrest in finding in finding out more. While, to put it mildly, I was a little disappointed to log on one morning and find in suspended, with no explanation from the “then” chapter officers who were conspicuous by the absence.

Over the years since then I have moved away from the idea of a reformed chapter ZX10, on the grounds that if the first incarnation of the chapter folded at the first problem, how would it survive a really SHTF incident? It is all about trust, and one of the first lessons I was taught by a certain Cpl J is when you have rank you NEVER EVER leave your subordinates arses flapping in the breeze. At the very lest you keep them informed, after all how hard is it to send a PM.

So far some of the posts in this thread have contained a lot of inflammatory statements, a lack of diplomacy and a total absence of common sense. Not attributes normally expected from a Real Officer. Perhaps people should ask the question why they wish to assume a position of authority rather than a position of responsibility.

So far I can see no advantage of a UK chapter over smaller county chapters with possible closer links to the continental members. However, if there is an overriding advantage to reforming the old ZX10 then can it be presented in a rational manner for consideration by both the members and the ZS Head Shed.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Svothe » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Ok so with all the grouching, whinging and moaning over and done with. What is actually going on?

K9medic

Post by K9medic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:15 am

The way I see it reading the above posts, the only way to get “official” chapters moving in the UK is for half a dozen people getting together and forming a new chapter centred on a county or city.

I don’t know how the “Head Shed” would view it, but I would suggest retaining the old ZSX sub forum, and new UK chapters could be numbered ZSX: I, ZSX: II etc. The reason I am suggesting this is because I’m not sure smaller UK chapters could generate enough traffic to keep the post from getting stale and eventually tailing off.

This would also give use the option of a “clearing house” for UK relevant information, such as special offers, as well as the opportunity to invite other chaptered to mock bug outs and other events.
"small tin of sardines with easy ringpull (I don't understand why, but I carry it)" Redstain

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Chapter Status

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:28 am

K9medic wrote: I don’t know how the “Head Shed” would view it, but I would suggest retaining the old ZSX sub forum, and new UK chapters could be numbered ZSX: I, ZSX: II etc. The reason I am suggesting this is because I’m not sure smaller UK chapters could generate enough traffic to keep the post from getting stale and eventually tailing off.

This would also give use the option of a “clearing house” for UK relevant information, such as special offers, as well as the opportunity to invite other chaptered to mock bug outs and other events.
I like those suggestions/ideas.
Active UK Chapter(s) that its members are local to, and meet regularly in, would be a good thing. They should raise the profile of ZS in the UK of GB & N.I.
I guess if we look again at the ZS:X map we'll get an idea of where at least 4 members are.
What's everybody else's thoughts?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
'28 Days Later'

Post by ForgeCorvus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 pm

Was thinking of suggesting ZSX as an umbrella for UK Sub-Chapters rather then each region having its own full Chapter

There are quite a few UK only subjects that I'd rather not have to post on five or six different Chapter boards in order to ensure total UK coverage rather then spamming a general board with stuff the US membership don't want or need.

Just from reading the above it looks like we might have a ZSX:Fenland Sub-Chapter.....

I want to stay with ZSX as the UK Chapter, but then (if the powers that be approve) have local Sub-Chapters that are in effect setup as though they are 'normal' Chapters (Three officers, regular meets, charity works etc) that could then come together to do something nationally should we wish to (but wouldn't be required to do so)

Winner, PMBoB

Svothe
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Svothe » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Yeah I agree Forge, A Cambs/Fenland chapter seems a good place to start and I think regional chapters are going to have to be the way to go. Once the recruiting picks up I'm sure more national stuff will be possible but until then each small chapter in its region could run its own local activities and events.

Return to “INACTIVE - ZSC:010”