Zombie Squad Amateur Radio Club

Discussion forum for the ZS Amateur Radio Club

Moderator: ZS Board of Directors

Strangersolz

Re: Zombie Squad Amateur Radio Club

Post by Strangersolz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:19 pm

My 12 year old son and I passed our Tech a couple weeks ago. Callsigns KF5DRB and KF5DRF respectively. Trying to decide on a radio now. I fellow church-goer and ham operator loaned us one of his.

Brandon
"Now, why would you jump out a perfectly good airplane?"

"Um... because the door was open"

hawke84
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead,Dawn of the Dead,Day of the Dead,

Post by hawke84 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:10 am

Congratulations to you both and welcome to Ham radio

"73"
Rex
N5TDA
N5TDA
"I Stand Between"

"Never shall innocent blood be shed,
yet the blood of the wicked will flow like a river...
For I shall spread my blackened wings...
and be the vengeful striking hammer of God."

Necronos
Favorite Zombie Movies: Don't get me wrong, I liked Zombieland... but seriously, it doesn't hold a candle to Shaun of the Dead

Post by Necronos » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm a newly minted (yet currently cardless) ZS member who is studying for my Technician and will test on Feb. 6th. I have $130 in my 'buy Necronos his first ham radio' fund and I'm game for ZSARC.

Once I got my call sign I'm going to join ARRL and start working towards testing for General. How can I help out?
Idaho ZS'ers Unite!

KF7HLH
ZS# 1802
ZS Fleet#'s 0159, 0162

2xMakina
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, original Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Democrats...oh wait...

Post by 2xMakina » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:58 pm

I became a ZS member just so I could join the radio club.
KJ4IQY - Technician here.

Planning on going to HamFest in Orlando in February and see if I can make Extra. If not, I'll settle for General. Studying now.

2x
Finch wrote:you can live a lot longer when not getting shot

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:39 pm

Hey guys! The radio club is currently in active but I know there are a lot of folks who would like to see it pick up again.

The primary purposes for the ZS radio club are to find creative ways to get ZS folks involved with radio communications and to get some nets going to keep people in practice so their equipment doesn't get all dusty. :)

If anyone in here is interested in heading the project drop me an email at kyle@zombiehunters.org and I can get you more information.

I plan to post up a "job description" for the volunteer positions we are trying to fill to get the radio club back up once I get board approval.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

1Originalist

Post by 1Originalist » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 am

CQ CQ CQ Hello all stations.... This is KF4-LBG Calling.... I am a excited to announce my recent membership to the ZS collective. I have 2M and 10 M and 2M packet capability.....I am presently located in north cental Florida on the coast in Tarpon Springs. Standing by for all concerned traffic.....73's Larry

Post script: Although I admire Sherman.....He was a great general and new what it meant to wage war......I sir being from the south and having much of my family blood spillt in that horrible war, have to admit that he still provokes aggressive intent in my heart.....Never the less it will be my honor to make your acquaintance....
Tyler Durden: Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

evergreen

Post by evergreen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 am

well, I have always had an interest ...my grandfather was into this my whole life i have never done more than chat on his as a kid....so im real amateur, however i learn quick and ive decided it would be a good time to start coz u never know when it might become the only way yer gonna chat with ppl.
so any helpful hints would be appreciated...such as starting with what kinda set up should i look at and where do i get it etc...yeah i could look on the internet and find out but experience is my preferred option.
thanks in advance
Keep America Beautiful-close the damn door!

BEar667
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pick one

Post by BEar667 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 am

I'm still on board with the ZSARC, I'm on a 2 meter HT currently. Call Sign is k0mrd (yep I opted for a vanity cs). I'm in South Central Iowa EN31dl

Bear667
KØMRD General Class

NRA MEMBER

Parate Omnes Casus!

1Originalist

Post by 1Originalist » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:50 pm

Good communications via radio will and are constantly proven crucial during a disaster scenario....Being from Florida we have the looming hurricanes to contend w/ and that helps to remind our local population of the importance.....I have found that in my travels, lots of rural homes in the grain belt and areas of the like, CB radios are used to act as a back-up for the phone lines commonly severed in ice storms and tornado damage, as well as a great way for folks to communicate socially to pass the evening.
Just setting up a simple receiving station to get important information on the status of weather or critical aid after an incident or instructions prior to one is priceless. Remember,"information is power". As a commercial fishing boat capitain, I would cancel a trip over faulty communication equipment......Don't leave home without it....a cell phone just won't cut it..... "1"
Tyler Durden: Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

Scotticus
Favorite Zombie Movies: The ones where I'm alive at the end.

Post by Scotticus » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Need another Extra?

Northeast Ohio, licensed Extra 10+ years. I was an Advanced under the old rules having passed my Extra written just before the change. I was studying for 20 wpm CW but never had to take it, lucky me!

I'm also a former accredited ARRL VE, though I've since let it lapse. What's the status of ZSARC?
Due to repeated abuse and ego raging from ZS moderators, and no more mature adults to which chapter officers can appeal, ZSC:029 has been permanently dissolved.

I'd never ask members to accept that kind of institutional mistreatment, and you shouldn't sign up for it in the first place.

President - ZSC:029
"Until there is no enemy."

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:20 pm

It's been slow going...a work in progress.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Scotticus
Favorite Zombie Movies: The ones where I'm alive at the end.

Post by Scotticus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:53 pm

Doctor Jest wrote:It's been slow going...a work in progress.
QSL. Let me finish getting my chapter organized and maybe I can lend a hand over here.
Due to repeated abuse and ego raging from ZS moderators, and no more mature adults to which chapter officers can appeal, ZSC:029 has been permanently dissolved.

I'd never ask members to accept that kind of institutional mistreatment, and you shouldn't sign up for it in the first place.

President - ZSC:029
"Until there is no enemy."

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Mr. NoAm & I are taking our courses every Thursday night. Hopefully we will pass our test on 10/27 and we will have our licenses.
I would be more than happy to help out with the Amateur Radio Club!
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

fastback65
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombie Apocalypse

Post by fastback65 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:38 pm

I am an Amateur Extra as is my wife. I am the EC for our county and if you will have me, I would like to be a member of the ZS ARC. I am the founder and past president of the Central Mississippi Amateur Radio Association.
http://www.cmsara.org

M_anstrom
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George Romero

Post by M_anstrom » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:21 am

I'm an 8 year ham radio operator. Haven't been too awfully active but I do carry a Yaesu FT817 backpack rig when I'm hiking.
SrA Anstrom Mykal J.
Active Duty USAF Security Forces 08-Present
NRA Reloading Instructor and Range Safety Officer
Amateur Radio Operator KC9FJE

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 am

NoAm wrote:Mr. NoAm & I are taking our courses every Thursday night. Hopefully we will pass our test on 10/27 and we will have our licenses.
Congrats on BOTH of you passing your Tech exams!

(Now stop flashing your pumpkins at me) :mrgreen:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:20 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
NoAm wrote:Mr. NoAm & I are taking our courses every Thursday night. Hopefully we will pass our test on 10/27 and we will have our licenses.

LOL! I didn't realize they were flashing *blush*
PM me if it's messing with your screen (I think phone users more than computer users.)

I think we are going to start the General Class on Thursday. Hey! Might as well go for the GUSTO! :wink:
ZSC025 President
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:29 pm

NoAm wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

LOL! I didn't realize they were flashing *blush*
PM me if it's messing with your screen (I think phone users more than computer users.)
S'ok... they're kinda cute. :)
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:11 am

I am going to press forward and see if we can't get this Club rolling!

I was thinking of an Echolink Conference spot, or if somone else has another idea let me know.
I am partial to the internet link because new HAMs can still be involved, even if they don't have all their equipment set up.
I think everyone has internet here? (j/k)
Post Up .......................... let's Doooooooooo It!
ZSC025 President

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:21 am

NoAm wrote:I am going to press forward and see if we can't get this Club rolling!

I was thinking of an Echolink Conference spot, or if somone else has another idea let me know.
I am partial to the internet link because new HAMs can still be involved, even if they don't have all their equipment set up.
Just keep in mind the time differences between the two coasts, not to mention for our fellow members overseas. That will make setting up net times a compromise, at best, or might dictate that we have multiple nets.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:10 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
NoAm wrote:I am going to press forward and see if we can't get this Club rolling!

Just keep in mind the time differences between the two coasts, not to mention for our fellow members overseas. That will make setting up net times a compromise, at best, or might dictate that we have multiple nets.
From the OP in the ZSARC Introduction
kyle wrote:This section of the forum will be used for the Zombie Squad radio club. Any business matters related to the radio club, it's function, events it is holding or how to get involved can be posted in this section of the forum.

Please join the Zombie Squad Radio Club forum group if you are interested in updates on the club. You can add yourself to the group by changing your group settings in the User Control Panel here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/ucp.php?i=167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Zombie Squad Radio club, unlike other ZS chapters, will not be region specific. The club will include radio operators within the Zombie Squad community as a whole. The club is currently in the initial planning stages. To get in on the ground floor of the club's planning and structure, jump on in!

Any general discussion about emergency radio, radio equipment or other general radio related stuff that is not directly related to the Zombie Squad radio club business needs to be posted in the ZS communications forum located HERE
This idea has been bounced around for nearly 2 years now. I know we will have some obstacles with time, but we need to start somewhere.
If anyone has any other suggestions besides echolink, please let me know.

I was thinking of Sunday evenings at 7:00 EST (6:00 CST, 5:00 MST, 4:00 PST).

This is just an idea, I know we haven't considered our overseas ZS Hams, but everyone chime in and lets get something started.
ZSC025 President

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:28 am

I would suggest we use Zulu (GMT) times for all net schedules. Any ham worthy of their callsign should already be familiar with it, and easily be able to translate it to his/her local time, and it eliminates the problem of daylight savings time shifts.

Not to mention it starts with a Z, and we could call it Zombie time. :mrgreen:

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:36 am

If anyone is interested in us Sunday night 7:00 PM EST/2:00 Zombie Time :wink: (6:00 CST, 5:00 MST, 4:00 PST).
Echolink software can be downloaded here http://www.echolink.org/
If this is your first time on Echolink, you will have to go through the validation process. (It will take a little time, not long through) If you can't validate by phone (with the home # listed on your license registration), you will have to scan/email a copy of your license for validation.
Today's mission: I will figure out how to set up a conference, I am going to call it ZS ARC.
So far my favorite way to view is Explorer View, then click on Nodes, then conferences.
ZSC025 President

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:31 am

NoAm wrote:If anyone is interested in us Sunday night 7:00 PM EST/2:00 Zombie Time :wink: (6:00 CST, 5:00 MST, 4:00 PST).
Echolink software can be downloaded here http://www.echolink.org/
If this is your first time on Echolink, you will have to go through the validation process. (It will take a little time, not long through) If you can't validate by phone (with the home # listed on your license registration), you will have to scan/email a copy of your license for validation.
Today's mission: I will figure out how to set up a conference, I am going to call it ZS ARC.
So far my favorite way to view is Explorer View, then click on Nodes, then conferences.
If I remember (7-8 pm is dinner time in this house) I'll try to join you.

Return to “Zombie Squad Radio Club”