Article for legalization of suppressors in our state

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

Dutch253
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend (does this count?), The Walking Dead(?)

Article for legalization of suppressors in our state

Post by Dutch253 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:04 pm

So does it have to go the federal level now or what is the next step? I checked that website and it said they voted yes with the "do pass" recommendation but what's next? I have my eye on the new Ruger 22/45 with the threaded barrel!
"But Lord, during the hardest trials of my life, why was there only one set of footprints?"
"Because," said the Lord, "Sandpeople always ride single-file, to hide their numbers."

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Re: Article for legalization of suppressors in our state

Post by Big B » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Dutch253 wrote:So does it have to go the federal level now or what is the next step? I checked that website and it said they voted yes with the "do pass" recommendation but what's next? I have my eye on the new Ruger 22/45 with the threaded barrel!
No, this would be a change to the WA State law regarding suppressors, not any federal laws. Even if this passes you will still need to do your paperwork with the ATF and pay $200 to be able to buy a suppressor.

Currently in WA you can own a suppressor, but it is illigal to use them. This bit of legislature would chage our state's rediculus law about suppressors and it would allow us to actually use them.

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 pm

I bought a SPR/M4 the day that the house bill was voted yes.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

Agent

Post by Agent » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:03 pm

Great to see it passed the House by such a wide margin. I just emailed my state senator in support of the bill and requested a response, I will post it when I get it.
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:27 am

[DZF],

Thank you for your email and your comments on House Bill 1016. This bill seems to have bi-partisan support and passed off the House floor and in now in the Senate. There is a companion bill as well, Senate Bill 5112. This bill is in the Rules Committee.

I am including a link to the house bill for you to follow the progress it makes:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary ... &year=2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I very much appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Feel free to contact me anytime.

Mary Margaret
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

wyecoyte

Post by wyecoyte » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:26 am

From my understanding SB5112 is in the rules committe. However, if it does not get voted out by the 7th then it is dead for the year. Though HB1016 has to go through the entire process by April 28th. I suggest contacting your senators about SB5112. Especially if they are on the Rules comittee and ask them to "pull" the bill. Pulling from what I understand basically forces a rules committee vote on the bill which then could end up on the floor of the senate for an actual vote.

Liff

Post by Liff » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:43 am

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary ... &year=2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am a bit lost here, fairly new to Washington (4 or 5 months here). SB 5112 is dead, HB 1016 rocks on. It passed in the senate yesterday by the margin of 47 to 0.

So is it now on the the governor? What is the next step and who can I spam e-mail/letter about helping this along the way?

Liff

Post by Liff » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:55 am

http://www.leg.wa.gov/legislature/Pages/Bill2Law.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Found it.
How a Bill Becomes a Law
For more information, see Legislative Process Overview, Reed’s Parliamentary Rules, and Students' Page.

1) A bill may be introduced in either the Senate or House of Representatives by a member.
2) It is referred to a committee for a hearing. The committee studies the bill and may hold public hearings on it. It can then pass, reject, or take no action on the bill.
3) The committee report on the passed bill is read in open session of the House or Senate, and the bill is then referred to the Rules Committee.
4) The Rules Committee can either place the bill on the second reading calendar for debate before the entire body, or take no action.
5) At the second reading, a bill is subject to debate and amendment before being placed on the third reading calendar for final passage.
6) After passing one house, the bill goes through the same procedure in the other house.
7) If amendments are made in the other house, the first house must approve the changes.
8.) When the bill is accepted in both houses, it is signed by the respective leaders and sent to the governor.
9) The governor signs the bill into law or may veto all or part of it. If the governor fails to act on the bill, it may become law without a signature.
Looks like we are on step 8.

Agent

Post by Agent » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

I never did get a response to the letters I sent last month, not sure what the current status of the bill is. :|
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:50 pm

From NRA email: "Washington: Legislation to Legalize the Use of Firearm Suppressors Headed to Governor’s Desk

On March 29, House Bill 1016 passed in the Washington Senate by a 47 to 0 vote and on February 7, it passed in the state House by an 88 to 4 vote. Sponsored by state Representative Brian Blake (D-19), NRA member and staunch supporter of firearm rights, HB 1016 would legalize the use of firearm suppressors. This bill now goes to Governor Chris Gregoire’s desk for her consideration."
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

bae

Post by bae » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 am

OK, now that this thing has finally passed, does anyone have pointers to decent dealers of suppressors in western Washington?

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Easy tiger...
The bill has passed the House/Senate, it isn't law yet.
If you are doing this JUST to fire through a suppressor, I'd hold off until it is signed.

g0nz0

Post by g0nz0 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 pm

4/6 Update:
IN THE HOUSE
Apr 1 Speaker signed.
IN THE SENATE
Apr 4 President signed.
OTHER THAN LEGISLATIVE ACTION
Apr 6 Delivered to Governor. (View Bill as Passed Legislature)

Liff

Post by Liff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 am

So now it gets vetoed, signed, or passed into law without the Governor's signature. Still not over, but really, really close. I am very excited, but also ready to have my hopes dashed. Anyone know of a link to the Governor?

zombiegristle

Post by zombiegristle » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:35 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.
"It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."
-- Condom Rule
"Everybody gets one."
-- Spiderman Rule

Narc1911

Post by Narc1911 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:22 am

Hopefully it passes and I'll be getting a suppressor this year.

nimdabew
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:14 am

Narc1911 wrote:Hopefully it passes and I'll be getting a suppressor this year.
I would buy it now before there is a giant run on suppressors in this state. I have a feeling that when people start realizing that they can legally shoot suppressors, they will want them, which means there will be a dwindling supply, increased wait times for transfers, and also increased costs of suppressors because of the increased demand. Then again, the people that really wanted a suppressor already ahve them or they are on their way to getting them so there might not be that big of a rush on them. I just hope I get my stamp back before the first legal day because I am going to go to the fud range with my uberscaryevilblackrifle and the omgsilencer on it and shoot tinny tinny groups.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

g0nz0

Post by g0nz0 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Get those orders rolling gentlemen for today is a good day for silence!

IN THE HOUSE
Apr 1 Speaker signed.
IN THE SENATE
Apr 4 President signed.
OTHER THAN LEGISLATIVE ACTION
Apr 6 Delivered to Governor. (View Bill as Passed Legislature)
Apr 11 Governor signed.

Link to Bill

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:31 pm

No shit? A Dem gov signed a silencer bill?

I hear music, and the sky is parting ...
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

wyecoyte

Post by wyecoyte » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:00 pm

CitizenZ wrote:No shit? A Dem gov signed a silencer bill?

I hear music, and the sky is parting ...

Yep it is signed. From what I understand it will be legal 90 days after the session ends (to shoot). Should put the date around the 23rd or 24th of July. There is going to be a suppressor shoot at the Kitsap Range on the day it is legal from what I understand.

PS.

I just think I saw a flying pig go by my window.

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland

Post by marktaff » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:19 pm

wyecoyte wrote:I just think I saw a flying pig go by my window.
For the record, with sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Just saying.
ImageImage
Summergeddon: X, XI, XII, XII, XIV
Wintergeddon: X, XI, XII
Summer Bugout: XIII

Space Jockey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Post by Space Jockey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 am

Now to determine how to make my glock and AR suppressor complaint. It's been a good day people, a very good day.
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

Liff

Post by Liff » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:45 am

Wow. When I moved into this state a few months ago I was bummed because of the no suppressor use thing. Now I am amazed.

Well then, time to get a safe and work on getting my cans up here. I am not sure when that will be with the new job and being able to get away (I have had 5 days off so far this year), but in the near future we will have to have our own suppressor shoot.

Wow again.

nimdabew
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:58 am

And this is the reason why I bought it a while ago. As soon as I found out that the major police organizations were behind this, I had a very good feeling that it was going to pass. Annnnnd I am one month ahead of everyong for the stamp 8)
Thanks Anianna!

Return to “ZSC:005”