Article for legalization of suppressors in our state

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

Space Jockey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Article for legalization of suppressors in our state

Post by Space Jockey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Just an article I found when browsing the interwebs. I can't find the name of the bills right now, but I am looking. There is potential out there after all.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/jan/ ... ers-draws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Re: Article for legalization of suppressors in our state

Post by Big B » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:47 pm

There was a short lived thread in the firearms section mentioning this topic.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=74810" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really hope it goes somewhere. I would like to buy a suppressor and not have leave the state to use it. :?

Liff

Post by Liff » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I came from AZ. I own a dozen cans. I really want to bring them here. I don't because it makes things easiest to deal with.

Agent

Post by Agent » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Nice to see some support among legislators, I'll see if I can find some time to write letters to mine.
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:48 am

Liff, you can bring them here, it is just not prudent to actually put them on a weapon. :roll:

CDAT is our local suppressor advocate and knows the most about the issue of anyone I know personally. Unfortunately he's in Afghanistan right now playing with IED's. (He's EOD) Suppressors aren't banned, just their use. And there is no exception in the law for local LE agencies either. My agency can have them, being as we are fed's, and I wish we did have them for indoor use especially.

Liff

Post by Liff » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:56 pm

Istvan56, I know that I can have them here. But I hate ATF agents. Like Jews hate Nazis, not like children hate cauliflower.

Long story short, I am afraid of proving the negative fact that I did not use the cans in the State of Washington, so I am leaving them in Arizona.

Istvan56

Post by Istvan56 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:33 am

The ATFE doesn't care about the Washington law, they don't have the authority to enforce it is why. Nor do I as a federal LEO. Only state commissioned LEO's can enforce the suppressor use ban. The only thing the ATFE cares about is the tax stamp. So as long as you have your paperwork in order they are fine here.

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:32 am

I had no idea that Feds were prohibited from enforcing state law. This changes things. Maybe this summer we will have to have a ZS suppressor shoot organized for our chapter. I'll bring a bunch of em.

Space Jockey
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Post by Space Jockey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Count me out, I don't plan on going to jail
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

DemonLlama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, I Am Legend

Post by DemonLlama » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:28 pm

Space Jockey wrote:Count me out, I don't plan on going to jail
I'm pretty sure he meant "if the bill passes......"
nimdabew wrote:I will probably end up eating cold creamed corn out of a can in a wife beater in some god forsaken hole in Alabama.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:31 pm

DemonLlama wrote:
Even if the bill dosn't pass we could try to organize a shoot out of state. Maybe down in OR or over in ID.....

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:41 pm

DemonLlama wrote:
I absolutely positively 100% meant "IF this bill passes".

I also absolutely positively 100% mean "if this bill does not pass, then I will not bring any NFA item into the state of Washington".

Space Jockey
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Post by Space Jockey » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:29 am

Now I feel like a total goob for not catching that the first time.
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Istvan56

Post by Istvan56 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:53 am

Liff wrote:I had no idea that Feds were prohibited from enforcing state law. This changes things. Maybe this summer we will have to have a ZS suppressor shoot organized for our chapter. I'll bring a bunch of em.
"Federal authority is limited authority" is something they drill into us during our legal training block. Feds who are not cross-designated as state commissioned officers (and those are very rare, it is usually the other way around) have no more authority to enforce state law than you do as a private citizen. Which means at best they can make a citizens arrest for a state crime they witness occuring in their presence. Which means they'd have to witness you using a suppressor, not possessing one to make such a citizens arrest. Again, possession is not banned under RCW 9.41.250(c) "Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm..." So an ATFE agent can check your paperwork on your suppressor and so long as it is not attached to your weapon during the inspection they can't turn around and try a "gotcha" on you even if somehow they were cross-designated.

And if this bill passes I'm all for having a shoot. 8)

nimdabew
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD
I am ledgend

Post by nimdabew » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Istvan, there is no law that says you cannot attach a supressor to a firearm in Washington state. It is only illegal to use a device to muffle or reduce the sound of a firearm within state limits.
RCW 9.41.250 wrote:(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or

(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.
Thanks Anianna!
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I say when Wee Drop visits the US, we make her ride a goat. You know, like those little monkey cowboys they have at some rodeos. :lol:

wyecoyte

Post by wyecoyte » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 am

HB 1016 is passed out of judicary committee now it languishes in the rules committee. SB 5112 had its public hearing on Jan 26th.

Both of these had their public meetings and no one in oposition showed up. WACOPS is supporting the bills as is. Randb on northwestfirearms.com has been the one pushing these bills. He probably has more information on them than anyone else. Something he has been working on for years.

As Nimdabew stated it is only illegal to use a suppressor in the state and it is a gross misdemeanor. Also from AG's office a police officer actually has to see the use of the suppressor. Simply having it "screwed" on or permanately attached is not against the law. LEOs can not claim "dirty" suppressor and bust you for that. Though they will try as happened in Snohomish County.

If you are interested in getting this passed write your senator and reps in support of these bills. Final hurdle will be the governor if they pass in the house and senate.

EDIT: Just found out that the house it supposedly has little to no opposition and been placed on the suspension calender for bills that are considered easy passes. The senate is the tougher issue. Suprisingly from what I understand Senator Kline is on the fence and last I heard Senator Roach was opposed to the bill. Don't know if Roach has changed her mind or not but last I heard she was in opposition.

wyecoyte

Post by wyecoyte » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:57 am

HB 1016 passed today 88 yeas 4 nays 6 excused. Now onto the senate.

Space Jockey
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Post by Space Jockey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:38 am

Linkage: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary ... &year=2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:33 pm

More linkage: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx
Fill in your address, click "Find My District" and click on your Senator. From there it will get you to their individual page and lead to an email link. You have to pass the address verification again (sheesh...), but you can fill out the form email with "1016" in the "Bill Number" and it will auto populate with the bill name. Pretty slick. Add your personal remarks, a "Thanks You" and send.
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

wyecoyte

Post by wyecoyte » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 am

Found out that today SB 5112 the companion senate bill just passed out of committe. All yas and recomendation "do pass" from the executive committee. One person that watched it stated that Senator Kline stated, "this will bring state law in compliance with federal law." Should pass the senate from what I understand in the next week or two then on to Governor.

Looks like it could be legal this year for us to use suppressors.

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:59 am

bump. watching this.

DemonLlama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, I Am Legend

Post by DemonLlama » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Does anyone know if the veto system in our state is anything like the federal system i.e. 2/3 vote in each house overrides the need for governers/presidents signature? I've always assumed it was the same but I just realized I don't actually know.

I ask because if it is the same and if the vote in the senate goes anything like it did in the house then it won't even matter if the governer doesn't want to sign it.
nimdabew wrote:I will probably end up eating cold creamed corn out of a can in a wife beater in some god forsaken hole in Alabama.

Liff

Post by Liff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Dear Mr. Liff,

Thank you for writing to me about House Bill 1016. The Senate companion bill is SB 5112 and as a member of the Judiciary Committee, I recommended this bill for passage along with a majority of the committee members. SB 5112 is currently waiting to be sent to the Senate floor for debate and I encourage you to track its progress on the Washington State Legislature website here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your advocacy is important and lets me know what I need to be fighting for. I am here voicing your concerns to my colleagues. Please let me know if you would like additional information about this, or any other issue impacting our state.

Sincerely,

Nick Harper
Senator, 38th Legislative District

Please visit my website: http://www.sdc.wa.gov/senators/harper/default.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the message I got from my senator. Thanks for the link for us to be able to e-mail them.

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Excellent. It's nice when democracy and representation work.

Return to “ZSC:005”