Moving forward with homestead land search (with pics)

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Moving forward with homestead land search (with pics)

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 16, 2016 8:39 pm

Hey 005. I mentioned in another thread about pass fires I was recently over in E WA looking at land.

Just wanted to let you all know I am moving forward with one property, though still open to look at other property and planning to check others out in case this one falls through.

But I visited a really nice 40 acre property with a pond on it. It is in a natural bowl with 3 hills. There hills hills East, NW and SW. I would own up to the tops of two hills East and NW, and a decent amount of the SW hill. The property hasn't been logged since 1987, and has minimal work done on it. A little bit of over grown road, and the pond was man made by blocking the gaps between hills. The pond is 150' wide at the widest, and 620' long. Listed as seasonal, but the neighbor said only one end tends to dry up during dry years and the south side is spring feed and stays all year round. Otherwise in wet years it is all year for most of the pond. I made an offer $8K under the listed price. The realtor said the owners had refused that price 3 times in the past. So bumped up to $4K under the list price and seemed agreeable to that being at least worth taking to the owners. So I made the bid and moving forward. It is a 30 day cash out offer, and while I expect them to counter rather than just accept I have my step father who is an architect, planner, and developer doing the negotiations for me. In other words I let a shark loose in the kiddie pool. So he is ready to keep firm on the price, or if they want more, a list of improvements that are needed as well as extending the cash out to 90 days, or even requiring a partial financing.

But it is looking like depending on the owners and how much negotiation is done, I could be closing in a month or so.

Keep your finger crossed, or send out some prayers, or wish me luck. Any little help I can get to make this happen is appreciated.

But let me share the story of how I got to the property. And then some pics.

First off, I driven over in the night and camped out at a lake park so I could get a nice early start to my land hunt. Had plenty of properties to look at. First one in the Coalville Rez, couldn't find though the area was lovely dotted with lakes and ponds. My GPS said it was right to my right but it definitely was not the right place. Maybe I entered the lat and long in wrong? Second was a nasty mess of slash piles. It would take a lot of effort to clean up and then the property itself wasn't all that great. Another and it was just way too steep slope with no benches or flat. On to two more, and a long drive on paved roads then a gravel road that was not very well done. The gravel road was recently washed out part way up and filled with course rubble rock. Still long ways down the gravel road and I come to a truck stuck in a mud hole, in the path blocking me from continuing. no way my CRV would make the hole if he got stuck. I hung out and did my best to help and offer support to the guy. And he did get unstuck. But the access issue crossed the next two off my list.

On to the property I am hoping to get now.

As I got off the 3 lane wide hard pack gravel road and onto the actual road that leads to the property I saw a guy walking along carrying groceries. I slowed down so not to kick dust up in his face and just past him, stopped poked out the door and asked "do wanna walk, or would you like a lift?" he asked where I was going, I told him and turns out he owns and lives on property that boarders the one I was there to look at. He offers to come up and show me around and tell me about the place and hops in.

View down into the valley about 3/4 the way up the road to the property.

I learned a lot about the road from my new friend and potential neighbor. While not horrible and it could use some work, he had lots to say about it. Obviously it was something he likely complains about a lot. A bit bellow the area I took the pic posted above, is a really nice homestead set up with wind and solar, who I was told are nice folks retired military and I look forward to meeting them later.

My passenger was giving all the gossip about the neighbors, pointing out one set just above where I took the pic who he felt were the ones responsible for the condition of the road. They had a big privacy fence, and posted security cam surveillance as well as a no trespassing including government agents etc. Most likely hard core Libertarians who don't want gov interference. My passenger mentioned the cops wont step on their property. LOL.

My passenger's place was just bellow mine, and the road goes right by his small 5th wheel camper. Not sure why folks put their places so close to the road, I sure wouldn't. Just past his place though and the easement road to the property I am looking at arrives.

The entrance to the property is an easement road that only leads to the property I am looking to buy

The easement road is a bit over grown and there is a small mud hole on easement road, but as you can see not a big problem.

Just a little ways and there is a for sale sign then just past that a barbed wire fence line that looks newish, as it still hasn't rusted. I suspect this is the property line for this side. But not completely sure, as it doesn't seem to cut the land like I would expect.

You can however see this easement road is in a narrow cut between a ridge and a big hill. Which would mean securing the entrance would be fairly easy.

Here is a pic from the road on the property looking up onto the ridge. Nice steep slope that would make putting a gate across the road quite effective.

The first thing you see coming on to the property is a large clearing/pad. Not quite level, with a SE down slope. But I could easily grade and level the space.

Sorry bout the dark camera phone pic, seems it had trouble dealing with the bright light at times.
This is the view coming down the road and looking out over the pad and pond beyond. Mostly east direction wise

Main clearing looking southish, the entrance road to the right of the pic

Main clearing looking northish, the entrance road to the left of the pic, my CRV behind that tree closest

And looking back up the entrance road, sorry again a bit dark

The pond is fairly hidden by trees, which I would do a lot of cutting down and using for some fencing, and other projects. But would want to clear and gain better access to the pond. However I do want to be careful not to go too crazy. I want to leave some trees and bushes around the water edge in places.

So this might be a good time to give you some areal reference to the property. To give an idea of where things are. This is the realtor's posted areal image, which gives not only an idea of the property and it's boundaries but also the parcels around the property. Top is north, the easement access comes in from the west side. *edit to add, I figured out later about 1/2 way along the west property line it turns into the property. The easement Rd actually follows the west line to about the middle of the line.

I had transferred the lines onto google earth to get a much better idea of the property ahead of going to visit it. Really like when they give you the property lines to understand what your looking at.

So on we go, while there is a road continuing down that goes to the south tip of the pond, lets move around the property the other direction, and go North to East and around the pond and back up to the clearing. Since that is the route I explored. :D

So up on the Northern hill/ridge. This was close to the western edge of the property.

Looking north *edit to add, this is actually looking west, but I had though it was North when making this post originally

Looking south

*edit to add, this is actually the area I plan to build my home, the south view would be the view from my house out.

Up on the hill and looking back over the property and the pond you get a great view. You can see how dense the tress are around the property, as well as the trees over on the eastern hill across the pond. That V notch was filled to help make the pond, and I was told the spring that feeds the pond is on that end.

Looking right from same vantage in pic above, toward the clearing and where I parked

Down closer to the pond looking toward the south end.

From here if you look northish, you can see a marsh where there is spillway for the pond overflow, as well as a nice little meadow.

around and over on that meadow, looking at the wetlands and spill way

And the spillway, a bit dark but it was obviously an intentional spillway man made

The pond mostly runs N & S, but where the spill way is a finger runs off to the east.
This is from where the marsh and spillway are, and the separation between the finger and main pond body

Beginning of that finger of the pond, looking back at the main body of the pond, looking west

same place but looking east down the finger

The pond's finger is fairly narrow and straight, but a decent looking depth.

Berm at the end of the finger

Looking down hill from on top of the berm, if there was no berm here all that pond water would flow right over and down this slope.
[img]hhttps://i.postimg.cc/tTZdRKcG/looking-down-hill-from-finger-berm-eastish.jpg[/img]

continued..

* edit March 21 2019, noticed image links broken and am fixing them so the thread can be enjoyed as it was meant to be.
Last edited by ineffableone on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Homestead land in the WA Okanogan

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Now around to the eastern side of the property, which seems to have lots of wonderful rock formations, stair step flat benches, and surprisingly the road that goes down to the pond on the southern end actually comes around on this side but is hard to tell when at what looks like the end of the road at the southern tip of the pond.

This is the continuation of the road, over on the east side of the lake

But the roads this side are pretty over grown

Looking out over the pond from the eastern side

Stair stepping flat benches on the eastern side

Looking down on the pond finger from the eastern side

As I mentioned some great rock formations and cliffs over on this side

up on top of the rock looking at the tops of others.

OK so I have mentioned the south side of the pond, and the road going down to it several times. The road comes down to this point and curves and goes into the pond. I think this was done at some point to make a boat launch into the pond. As i mentioned the road actually should continue around the pond. But a dozer blade seems to have cut into the earth and made a step you wouldn't be able to drive over, as well as the area where the road continues is quite over grown to the point you don't see it standing on the road at the southern end of the pond.

Here is the south side of the pond looking westish

This is the path the road used to take around to the east side of the pond, can you see it? Believe it or not I had just come through that. But it is a couple feet higher up than where the road goes into the pond.

This is looking south, and the berm built up to fill the gap between hills, obviously no water escaping that route.

Looking up the road from the south end of the pond, it curves to meet the pond

road going back up to the clearing, pretty straight going

Almost back up to the clearing

Well that about does it, I have plenty more pics but that is a general loop around the pond and a general sense of the place.

The property has a lot of potential. I think I can deepen the pond a bit here and there. Cut back some trees, and clear lots of brush. Do a little leveling and reconnect the road to gain access to the other side of the pond. Likely do plenty of terracing and swales to maximize water run off, catching it and keeping it from eroding soil. I didn't explore too much along the south edge of the property, as it is heavily forested with thick underbrush. I did push my way in a bit, and would want to thin it down a bit but retain much of the trees and patches of brush. I did spot a place in there that looks like it might likely have a spring, due to the vegetation, however it was far too thick to get in there without cutting stuff back. Also on the eastern side I spotted a likely spring where there was lush grass and moisture just under the surface of a dry crust of algae. So there might be multiple springs on the property. Though would need to monitor them and see if they dry up and are just seasonal seeps, or full time.

Well thanks for checking this out, and hope you enjoyed. Leave some feed back if you think of anything. Or feel free to ask questions.

* edit March 21 2019, noticed image links broken and am fixing them so the thread can be enjoyed as it was meant to be.
Last edited by ineffableone on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Moving forward with honestead land search (with pics)

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 16, 2016 10:34 pm

Hot damn that looks awesome! Look forward to hearing about it in the future! Hopefully you get the property and the 005 guys get to come and explore. The area that you're in isn't one I'm real familiar with may have to make some trips up that way and explore!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 16, 2016 10:56 pm

Halfapint wrote:Hot damn that looks awesome! Look forward to hearing about it in the future! Hopefully you get the property and the 005 guys get to come and explore. The area that you're in isn't one I'm real familiar with may have to make some trips up that way and explore!
Thanks, and I will be inviting 005 over no matter which property I end up getting. Though I am really excited about this one, and think I have a pretty good shot at it.

The Okanogan area is definitely an area worth exploring and checking out. Lots of lakes and forest, though also plenty of sage brush and more deserty arid parts too. And the night skys, are amazing. Huge open skys without all the light pollution to keep you from seeing the stars.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 16, 2016 11:27 pm

I also didn't realize that the pond is that big! I mean 600' long? That would be a huge asset, I thought it was like 25'x25' or something. Digging that out and using it as a nine diploma the to your gardens and being able to stock fish and other other animals would be a huge benefit to you.

Here's to hoping you get it!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Mon May 16, 2016 11:42 pm

Halfapint wrote:I also didn't realize that the pond is that big! I mean 600' long? That would be a huge asset, I thought it was like 25'x25' or something. Digging that out and using it as a nine diploma the to your gardens and being able to stock fish and other other animals would be a huge benefit to you.

Here's to hoping you get it!
Only thing I will have to be careful of, is not breaking the seal on the pond when I deepen it. Last thing you want is to break the seal and have all the water drain out into the the ground under it. You then have to find clay on your land (and eastern wa is low on clay deposits) or buy clay to make a seal which is expensive.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Re: Moving forward with homestead land search (with pics)

Post by ineffableone » Tue May 17, 2016 4:33 pm

So just to keep 005 in the loop, I made an offer $8K under the listed price. The realtor said the owners had refused that price 3 times in the past. So bumped up to $4K under the list price and seemed agreeable to that being at least worth taking to the owners. So I made the bid and moving forward. It is a 30 day cash out offer, and while I expect them to counter rather than just accept I have my step father who is an architect, planner, and developer doing the negotiations for me. In other words I let a shark loose in the kiddie pool. So he is ready to keep firm on the price, or if they want more, a list of improvements that are needed as well as extending the cash out to 90 days, or even requiring a partial financing.

But it is looking like depending on the owners and how much negotiation is done, I could be closing in a month or so.

Keep your finger crossed, or send out some prayers, or wish me luck. Any little help I can get to make this happen is appreciated.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Wed May 18, 2016 3:58 am

I couldn't be happier for you! :D
I hope it works out!
Your greatest adversary hides in your mirror
ZS:OO5 Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/433432705260/

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Wed May 18, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks Pasha, I am keeping my fingers crossed as this property really seems to be the perfect one for what I want to do and just feels right. Only sticky issue is the price. As their asking price was a bit higher than my budget. So if I can't get them to come down to my top end of my budget I will sadly have to pass on the property.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Black November

Post by Black November » Thu May 19, 2016 3:08 pm

That looks amazing.
"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 19, 2016 3:23 pm

Black November wrote:That looks amazing.
Thanks, waiting for the owners to respond to my bid. Though considering they didn't come back with a quick no, seems like a decent sign. Seems they are taking some time to think it over.

I would definitely enjoy getting your permaculture thoughts on the property if I get it. As I plan to make it a wonderful little permaculture homestead. Being a bowl shaped property I can do a lot of work on keeping and holding the water on the property. And have that nice pond to hold the water in.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Black November

Post by Black November » Thu May 19, 2016 4:33 pm

ineffableone wrote: I would definitely enjoy getting your permaculture thoughts on the property if I get it.
Yes the bowl shape might be a good asset for the property. There looks like usable slopes facing almost each direction making many micro climates. The first thing that struck me is the huge south facing slope. You should be able to grow ridiculous amount of food there. Also the change in elevation works in your favor. You could catch the rain high on the hill irrigate the whole side of the slope and eventually dump it into the pond at the bottom.

Judging from the "view pic" you might be able to put in a good wind turbine and/or sizable solar array. If you end up getting the place I am happy to help you anyway I can.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 19, 2016 5:00 pm

You echoed many of the thoughts I have had. :crazy:

Yes the large south facing slope could be a great asset, and the amount of varying terrain creates a lot of micro climates that make for wonderful variety of growing plants that have different requirements. And yes, I suspect I could easily end up growing way more food than I ever need on this property. Though it will take a lot of time and prep to get to that point.

Since there is no power running up to the property, I would have to set up an off grid power system. But then that is what I want anyways. I have already been pricing and checking out wind and solar. And getting an idea of what I can install right away vs what I want to eventually have set up. Only bummer is lack of flowing water to get a micro hydro set up. Though if I can get water capture on the land going into the pond enough, I might end up creating a year round stream coming out of the pond in later years. Which could then allow for micro hydro install.

Since we are both into permaculture it would be great to have someone to bounce ideas off of, and to have someone who is on the same page not only with permaculture but prepping too who might think of something I overlook. Some thoughts in permaculture while nice, don't mesh as well with prepping. So some of info I see on permies.com doesn't quite fit with my prepping planning.

Something I am really looking forward to is getting some of the land cleared, cut back, and thinned out so I and others can really see the opertunities of this property. At this point it is so over grown, it is hard to see a lot of what is going on.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Black November

Post by Black November » Thu May 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Don't get too attached to the land until you actually close on it. 3 years back I thought I found the perfect place but it didn't work out. I was crushed. It took me a long time to get over it, but eventually we found another property and closed on it last year. There are always other properties out there.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episo ... operty-bol

With that being said I hope this place works out for you. It look awesome.

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Black November wrote:Don't get too attached to the land until you actually close on it. 3 years back I thought I found the perfect place but it didn't work out. I was crushed. It took me a long time to get over it, but eventually we found another property and closed on it last year. There are always other properties out there.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episo ... operty-bol

With that being said I hope this place works out for you. It look awesome.
I know, and working hard not to get to fixated on it. I have still been looking at other properties and was considering going over to Eastern WA this weekend to look at other properties. But seems the weather is going to be rainy all weekend, which wouldn't make for good tromping around weather.

Thanks for the warning though. If I hadn't already been preparing myself for possibly not getting it I surely would need to hear that.

The neighbor I met on the way there was constantly saying "your property" I kept reminding him it wasn't mine yet, and even if I want it I might not be able to get it. I think he might be more upset if I don't get the place than I will be. LOL, he seemed to get pretty excited about me moving in.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 20, 2016 1:49 pm

Hey 005, just got the call and my bid was accepted. So I pretty much have this lovely 40 acres just have to finalize and deal with the bureaucracy stuff to make it official.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm

ineffableone wrote:Hey 005, just got the call and my bid was accepted. So I pretty much have this lovely 40 acres just have to finalize and deal with the bureaucracy stuff to make it official.

Woooot! Congrats! Time to start planning (not that you haven't been)!

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Yep lots of planning, and budgeting.

I have to get a temp housing situation set up, which seems like the most likely being a travel trailer. Since they offer the most bang for the buck, coming with all the necessities and easy to patch a water system and power system into it. Plus it can end up as guest housing after I build my place, I can sell it off to recoup some cash, or hold on to it to travel with.

I have to get some sort of off grid power set up. Generator, solar, wind as well as a decent battery bank. I recently found a nifty generator option that takes regular generators and adds a LP and Natural gas option to it. They even warranty through their company since the mod voids the manufacture warranty. I have a few solar and wind options I am looking at. Big tough part really is sorting through the inverters.

I have found a pretty good video on how to build Water Organization Modules (WOM) like Earthships use. And even also found a nifty backpack that has a small scale WOM built into it. Though I could build the full scale type for similar cost as the back pack one, I could see the backpack useful for folks who are away from their cabin a lot as it would be easy to stash or bring with.

Composting toilet will be dependent on what the county says I can do. But It could be as cheap as a Homedepot bucket and a toilet seat, or $600 for a low cost professional bucket and seat, or $1500 for a real deal composting toilet from Sunmar.

From there it is just various tools, trading in my CRV for a pickup, build or buy a garage for the trailer to protect it, and build or buy some sort of tool shed that can secure my tools. Buy or rent a backhoe to fix up road access and the property.

Sounds simple but still lots of wiggling stuff around to fit my budget and plenty of time waiting between to do things.

But I am on my way to getting it going.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Fri May 20, 2016 10:54 pm

So thought I would share a few Google Earth screen caps of the property so folks could get some idea of the topography. Of course the topography is more general but gives much better idea than a just a flat areal photo and some camera phone pics.

top view

facing East

facing South

facing West

facing North

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Sat May 21, 2016 2:12 pm

After getting a PM from a a ZSer not in 005 sharing some helpful advice, I decided to post info on this over in self sufficient living forum so others not in 005 can share and follow easier. Thread is here viewtopic.php?f=39&t=118485&p=2631567#p2631567

However this can still be used for 005 specific info on the property. Like if I plan to head over and folks want to come see the place with me, etc..

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Sun May 22, 2016 1:53 pm

This is really cool to watch. I've been looking at playing the land game myself. However I spend too much time overseas to really get the opportunity to really shop around.

CQZ Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:53 pm

That's an awfully nice piece of property.
"Building communities, one body at a time"

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:27 pm

CQZ Jinxmedic wrote:That's an awfully nice piece of property.
Thanks was wondering when you might notice. BTW there is more pics and info on the new thread for the entire ZS forum. Link is up a couple posts.

I do want to have an 005 camp out over there sometime after I close on the property and before I get too busy working on the place. I would probably also invite some BCUSA folks too and have a nice little camp out and fun on the property before it becomes a work site.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:29 pm

ineffableone wrote:
CQZ Jinxmedic wrote:That's an awfully nice piece of property.
Thanks was wondering when you might notice. BTW there is more pics and info on the new thread for the entire ZS forum. Link is up a couple posts.

I do want to have an 005 camp out over there sometime after I close on the property and before I get too busy working on the place. I would probably also invite some BCUSA folks too and have a nice little camp out and fun on the property before it becomes a work site.
Sounds like a blast once you close post in here that way I can try and get the time off (assuming it'll be a weekend).

Return to “ZSC:005”