Summergeddon 2013, Aug 24-26 (location confirmed)

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland

Re: Summergeddon 2013, Aug 24-26

Post by marktaff » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:14 pm

I propose the North Fork Skykomish Trail (1051) along the North Fork of the Skykomish River (duh!). It has been about 5 years since I hiked it, but I have hiked it about a half dozen times. It is lightly used, so we won't have to worry about idiots (except ourselves!).

Northwest Forest Pass is required (one per vehicle at the trailhead), no other charge for hiking/camping, as this is National Forest land. Sign-in at the trailhead is required.

From experience, the trail will be free of snow before summergeddon, if it isn't already, though there will likely be some deadfall we have to climb over/under, as well as perhaps the odd washout or two. The trail eventually dumps into the PCT just past Dishpan Gap, but I don't propose we go that far. I am proposing a 5 mile hike (one-way). I've broken the hike into legs. On each leg, the elevation gain is generally quite constant and gradual--not a lot of up and down.

The new trailhead is common to the Quartz Creek Trail and the West Cady Ridge Trail (~2480 ft.). The recently-designated Wild Sky Wilderness Area begins at the new trailhead.

The first mile of the hike is along an old forest service road, which is being reclaimed by nature, and ends at the old trailhead. About 480 ft of elevation gain on this leg, the most of any of the legs I am proposing. This is probably the toughest stretch. At the old trailhead, there is a large flat graveled area (former parking lot) which may may camped on. Water is a very steep scramble through the woods about 80 feet elevation drop down to the river. Doable, but not very convenient. (~2960 ft.)

About two miles into the hike, you enter the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness Area. About 240 ft. elevation gain on this leg (~3200 ft.)

About 3 miles in, we arrive at the junction of the Pass Creek Trail (1053). About 160 ft. elevation gain on this leg (~3360 ft.)

About five miles in, we would have to ford the North Fork of the Skykomish River (with possibly high and swift water) followed immediately by the first switchback of the trail if we wanted to proceed further towards Dishpan Gap and the source of the North Fork of the Skykomish River. On this leg, there is about 360 ft. of elevation gain (~3720 ft.)

If memory and my old maps serve me well, just before this river fording, there is a large flat campsite area, with fire pits, a large waterfall, and very easy access to the river for water. Also should be some good hammock trees. I have camped here before for two days, and not seen even a single other person, not even a ranger. This site is where I propose we hold summergeddon. Total elevation gain is about 1,240 ft. over about 5 miles. The hike is pretty easy. It should take about 3-5 hours to hike in, depending on the pace. There are many small creeks along the way (more than shown on topo maps, as some are seasonal), so there is no need to carry a lot of water--you can filter it as you go.

From my proposed campsite, you could day-hike up to Dishpan Gap (~1880 ft. elevation gain to an elevation of ~5600 ft, with 3 average switchbacks and one really nasty switchback) about 2.5 miles beyond the campsite. There is also a large bench about 200 ft. above the campsite that may be suitable for exploring. The trail is easy to follow.

This is a Wilderness Area, so our group is limited to a maximum of 12 people. Anything more than that, and we have to break into logistically-separate groups and stay at least one mile away from each other while hiking and camping, which wouldn't really work for us. Between the old trailhead and my proposed site, there are very few spots suitable for pitching a tent if you wimp out. :-)

I will post some of my old photos of the trail to facebook and tag them with "Zombie Squad: The Western Washington Chapter". If you guys are seriously interested, I can day hike up there this week to reconnoiter the trail and campsite. I don't want to spend the money on a Northwest Forest Pass and fuel if this isn't a serious possibility.

Directions:

Drive US Highway 2 to just west of milepost 50 (located between the town of Skykomish and the Skykomish Ranger Station). Turn north onto Beckler Road #65, toward Beckler River Campground. From US Highway 2 on FS Road #65, drive 15 miles and turn right on FS Road #63. Continue 4.2 miles to the end of FS #63. The old North Fork Skykomish trailhead is 1.5 miles on the old roadbed past the new trailhead, which has lengthened the hike by 1.5 miles.

Trail Website

ETA:
Trail photos on facebook

Recent trail report

Proposed Campsite, Google Maps, center of map
ImageImage
Summergeddon: X, XI, XII, XII, XIV
Wintergeddon: X, XI, XII
Summer Bugout: XIII

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 am

marktaff wrote:All the primitive campsites at Moran are closed until further notice, and as of this writing, there is also a burn ban, so no campfire. :-(
Boooo! Thats lame.

Skykomish sounds cool, plus it looks like its not too far away for most of us. I'll make sure to hit the weights the next couple of weeks so I can still bring plenty of beer :mrgreen:

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by marktaff » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:11 am

Big B wrote:Skykomish sounds cool, plus it looks like its not too far away for most of us. I'll make sure to hit the weights the next couple of weeks so I can still bring plenty of beer :mrgreen:
Good luck with the beer--I'm planning on "Sweet Russian Fire" (TM) if Seanwins will give up the recipe. :mrgreen:
ImageImage

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by marktaff » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:06 pm

It appears that nobody but Big B and I are interested in a summergeddon that involves a short hike, so I am not doing my recon hike today and my proposal is off the table for summergeddon. I am perfectly comfortable just heading out into the unknown with a map and compass, but I don't feel comfortable leading others into conditions that may have changed since I was last there.

If anybody wants to do that hike on their own at some point, it should be a nice beginner's hike.

So, the question remains: Where are we going to hold carcampinggeddon? :-)
ImageImage

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Can a camp site even be reserved this late in the game?
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:25 pm

marktaff wrote: So, the question remains: Where are we going to hold carcampinggeddon? :-)
My wife was just asking "so where are you going and how long will you be gone?". I have time off, so I'm pretty open. If we can figure this out soon it would be nice to keep her happy ( if that's ever really possible :) )

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm still hoping that I'll be able to make it still trying to convince the gf we should go that it would be fun, but she had other plans for that weekend.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by marktaff » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:53 am

Just checked on Moran again. The burn ban has been lifted, but all the primitive campsites are still closed (the built-up campsites are still open).
ImageImage

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:42 am

How would people feel about doing it at Coho again?

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by marktaff » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:17 am

Seanwins wrote:How would people feel about doing it at Coho again?
I've never been there, so that works just fine for me. But really, I don't care too much where we go, as long as we go, and get a location nailed down soon. Time is running out.

For those unfamiliar with "Coho": Coho Campsite link

ETA: My schedule is open, so I am available for quartering party duties.
ImageImage

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Big B » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Is that on the peninsula? It's hard to tell on my phone

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by marktaff » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Big B wrote:Is that on the peninsula? It's hard to tell on my phone
Yes, Southern edge of Olympic National Park. Google Map
ImageImage

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by marktaff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:28 pm

It's official! The Coho campground near the southern edge of the Olympic National Forest will be the location of Summergeddon XIII. Some of us will be arriving early to claim campsites for the group, but we need to know who and how many people will participate so we can claim enough sites. Please RSVP so we can get a headcount. Thanks.

I will definitely be there.
ImageImage

Mr_Sheesh

Post by Mr_Sheesh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:02 pm

I'll be there then; Went camping last weekend, managed to misplace the sunblock so I'll be fixing THAT organizational problem before I hear there. And found that my stove's missing, one I knew the location of is my brothers' that isn't working, so I'll work on that. Anyone want to carpool over there, or is it "everyone drives themselves"?
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ― Albert Einstein

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:26 am

I and Piper will be there.
Your greatest adversary hides in your mirror
ZS:OO5 Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/433432705260/

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:36 am

I plan to be there.

*Will be arriving late Saturday evening.
Last edited by JustInCase on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Big B » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:24 pm

Ok, cool, I'll be there for at least one night. Are folks showing up Friday night or Saturday am?

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by marktaff » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Does anyone attending summergeddon have a pancake griddle for over the fire? If so, I could make us some pancakes with homemade blackberry syrup, since I have fresh blackberries in the backyard.
ImageImage

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:44 am

Big B wrote:Ok, cool, I'll be there for at least one night. Are folks showing up Friday night or Saturday am?
The Piper woman and I will be showing up on Friday in the mid afternoon at the earliest. Whoever gets there first should try and secure the group site. I believe it is "hike in site 50".
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/PA_WIDConsum ... %20Service

Does anyone know if there is a place to stop and shoot on the way out?
And bring firewood!
Your greatest adversary hides in your mirror
ZS:OO5 Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/433432705260/

Mr_Sheesh

Post by Mr_Sheesh » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:37 am

Has anyone tried to make Reservations: Online at http://www.recreation.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Phone: (877) 444-6777

And there's been a push to use only local firewood, to prevent spread of pests etc., IDK much about that.
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ― Albert Einstein

Dietrich

Post by Dietrich » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:48 am

Won't be attending this year, sorry. Too many things crept in while waiting for firm location.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:37 pm

pasha wrote:I and Piper will be there.

Yaaaaay!

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Summergeddon 2013, Aug 24-26 (location confirmed)

Post by DrGonzo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm in. Either Friday night or Saturday morning.

I'll bring a load of firewood.
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

marktaff
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Summergeddon 2013, Aug 24-26 (location confirmed)

Post by marktaff » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 pm

I will bring a small amount of firewood, and will be arriving Thursday afternoon/evening. I will try to secure 'hike-in site 50'. I will leave a note on the dash of my truck ('94 Chevy S10 extended cab with canopy, silver/teal) noting which site(s) I was able to secure. I will also be on ZS comms.
ImageImage

Return to “ZSC:005”