Summergeddon 2013, Aug 24-26 (location confirmed)

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Summergeddon 2013, Aug 24-26 (location confirmed)

Post by DrGonzo » Wed May 08, 2013 2:04 am

I stepped outside today and actually saw the sun. It reminded me that I need to go camping (screw you, Wintergeddon, with all your slushy shenanigans). I don't see a Summergeddon planning thread (I'll delete this if I missed it). Every year, we have a great summer campout with lots of gear, toys, incendiaries, hammocks, bacon, beer, bacon, whiskey, bacon and bacon, funny hats, stories, lies, exaggerations and tall tales, tomahawks, wrist rockets and whatever the hell Black November has been building in his garage. While the availability of outside activities (fishing, hiking, shooting, etc) is always a plus, simpler may be easier to organize and plan quickly (whitewater rafting would be cool, but a pain to organize with so many people). So, everyone chime in with the following:

1: Suggested dates. Fri-Sun or Fri-Mon on a holiday weekend usually work, although holiday weekends usually are bad times to go camping (too many civilians).
2: Suggested locations. Most here are in the east side of the Sound, but we've gone on trips as far out as Ross Lake.
3: Any other suggestions. We usually get a quick consensus, and then set a date. The sooner the better, this allows people to get time off if necessary.

Let's do this quickly, I already feel like summer is already about to end (yeah I know it's only May...)
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Re: Summergeddon 2013

Post by Big B » Wed May 08, 2013 2:28 am

Sat, Sun, Mon would be my preference. I'll have to take a look at the calendar to see what week(s) would work best for me, but if we can lock in a date soon enough I could always request time off.

Even though I don't live up near the North Cascades anymore, I do still have a key for the range up there if we wanted to camp near there again. I'm up for somewhere new, preferably north of Seattle :wink: , but I though I'd throw that info out there for general consumption.

Mr_Sheesh

Post by Mr_Sheesh » Wed May 08, 2013 5:09 am

Sun? Sun. -Scratches head- Not sure what that is? Is that some newfangled math thing? :P

Only Aug 16-18 are bad for me this summer; Hoping it's such that I can get to Summergeddon tho. I need more time in the woods.
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” ― Albert Einstein

Black November

Post by Black November » Wed May 08, 2013 3:18 pm

According to yahoo Answers:

Looking for secluded camping in Washington?

Washington is a big state. Would you like to stay in a certain region? If you want seclusion, get a high clearance vehicle and head into the national forest. Almost all of them allow dispersed camping.

Dispersed camping is when you are camped outside of a designated campground. You will not have any facilities at all i.e. water, toilets, etc.

It is always best to contact the ranger station for the forest that you plan on visiting. They can help you find a spot where you wont see anyone for the whole two weeks that you are allowed to camp there. They will also provide you with maps so you don't get lost up in them there hills.

Source(s):
Experience. 3+ years of traveling and living in on the road
http://freecampsites.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(We can always bring water filters, and Pasha's porta-dumper/ maybe some cat litter.)

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/okawen/ ... 3&actid=34
[Indian Creek has dispered camping, and even vaulted toilets.]
"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

Black November

Post by Black November » Wed May 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Snoqualmie District Ranger Jim Franzel says:

"The entire National Forest is open to target shooting and hunting unless it's near a campground or trailhead."

"The national forests are for everyone to use and enjoy including people that are target shooters and hunters and there's plenty of room out there to do all these things and do them safely"

He says there are specific rules for target shooting, most importantly "you have to have a safe backstop and it can't be vegetation like trees."

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Wed May 08, 2013 3:43 pm

I'm all for picking a random spot in the woods, but coordinating and transportation might be an issue. I good idea to pursue, though.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Just spitballing here. A lot of these are pretty tame for some of you hardcore guys, but I'm just trying to think of a cool place to go car camping. :

Tinkham Campground in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. Not sure if they do group sites, but it's not a super long trip for most of us. Near the old shooting pit, but I keep getting updates that it's closed.

Newhalem Campground in the North Cascades National Park. It's super far away and we've been there a bunch. Shooting is questionable. I'm not real psyched about this one.

Deception Pass State Park Not too far for most, pretty amazing locale, might get a bit crowded for our tastes.

Fort Flagler State Park. I went there as a kid, has some neat old WWII forts to check out. Kind of far, on the Olympic Penninsula on the other side of Whidbey Island.

Black November

Post by Black November » Wed May 08, 2013 6:00 pm

DrGonzo wrote:I'm all for picking a random spot in the woods, but coordinating and transportation might be an issue. I good idea to pursue, though.

I will look into it. Camping in the remote woods via GPS coordinates with a bunch heavily armed people you met on the internet sounds like a good idea to me. What could possible go wrong?

[BN famous last words]

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Thu May 09, 2013 5:46 am

Black November wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:I'm all for picking a random spot in the woods, but coordinating and transportation might be an issue. I good idea to pursue, though.

I will look into it. Camping in the remote woods via GPS coordinates with a bunch heavily armed people you met on the internet sounds like a good idea to me. What could possible go wrong?

[BN famous last words]
This sounds like a plan.
Your greatest adversary hides in your mirror
ZS:OO5 Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/433432705260/

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Dispersed camping sounds cool, I've never been too keen on having a lot of other campers and kids running around nearby. I'm just concerned we'd have to hike in with all our crap, and Summergeddon is usually set up as a car camp. But if we can get someone to recon a potential site, that would be sweet.

Any other ideas for dates? Late June, early August maybe?

Black November

Post by Black November » Fri May 10, 2013 5:09 pm

DrGonzo wrote:Dispersed camping sounds cool, I've never been too keen on having a lot of other campers and kids running around nearby. I'm just concerned we'd have to hike in with all our crap, and Summergeddon is usually set up as a car camp. But if we can get someone to recon a potential site, that would be sweet.

I think there are some dispersed camping sites located on forest service roads with turn outs. We might not have to hike in. I will look into it.

Hammer31
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Hammer31 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Where-ever and whenever are good for me. I am easy to schedule. Deception pass would be nice but it is VERY busy and lots of little kids. Late night shenanigans and lies would have to be subdued.
One of the eighty.

Of every one-hundred men,
Ten shouldn't even be there.
Eighty are nothing but targets.
Nine are real fighters....
We are lucky to have them,
They make the battle. Ah, but one,
One of them is a Warrior....
He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Sat May 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Black November wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:Dispersed camping sounds cool, I've never been too keen on having a lot of other campers and kids running around nearby. I'm just concerned we'd have to hike in with all our crap, and Summergeddon is usually set up as a car camp. But if we can get someone to recon a potential site, that would be sweet.

I think there are some dispersed camping sites located on forest service roads with turn outs. We might not have to hike in. I will look into it.
Let me know if you need someone to ride shotgun.
Hammer31 wrote:Where-ever and whenever are good for me. I am easy to schedule. Deception pass would be nice but it is VERY busy and lots of little kids. Late night shenanigans and lies would have to be subdued.
Boo for subdued shenanigans and lies.

Squeek

Post by Squeek » Sat May 18, 2013 10:40 pm

I so want to play this year... need a car camping experience as I have the wonderful opportunity of having foot surgery this summer. Maybe I can kidnap the dear husband for this adventure... August would be sweet, July would suck...
Thanks for doing the recon on this gig.
Damaged people are dangerous. They know how to survive..... Josephine Hart

Seanwins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days Later, Resident Evil (all)

Post by Seanwins » Sun May 19, 2013 11:56 pm

May I propose:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/T ... rkId=71647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read about this site in a camping book. It might be convenient for a three-chapter Summergeddon. We can even make reservations!

Sounds good to me.

Black November

Post by Black November » Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 am

Seanwins wrote:May I propose:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/T ... rkId=71647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read about this site in a camping book. It might be convenient for a three-chapter Summergeddon. We can even make reservations!
Sounds good to me too.

rsd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any Romero of course. Do like the Return of the Living Dead movies (the 3rd being my favorite. I'm actually very picky with these types of movies but I'm just putting the obvious ones. lol

Post by rsd » Mon May 27, 2013 10:24 pm

I'm down with summergeddon this year. If you can make a definative date for august that would be awesome. With where I work I have to put in pto before the 15th of july.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Fri May 31, 2013 3:00 am

Sounds good to me.
If we get dates nailed down I could probably make the trip down there.

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by pasha » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Sounds good to me.
Sounds good to me as well. Now for the date..

Hammer31
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Hammer31 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:14 pm

I love the site. Lets do a date and get cracking.
One of the eighty.

Of every one-hundred men,
Ten shouldn't even be there.
Eighty are nothing but targets.
Nine are real fighters....
We are lucky to have them,
They make the battle. Ah, but one,
One of them is a Warrior....
He will bring the others home.

Hericletus 500BC

Falman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Zombie land

Post by Falman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Looks good for me also. Hopefully in late June early July.

golddigger14s
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead

Post by golddigger14s » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Just one more idea, I just ran across. Aug 15-17 Location is right by Rainbow Falls State park.
http://poshrat.com/bug-out-beta-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by pasha » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:04 am

Here are a few dates to consider when planning
July 6 Red white and dead
August 16-18 Mock bug out beta
Sept 27-29 QZ con

Right now late July (25th) through till Aug 16 looks good for me, as well as most of Sept.
golddigger14s wrote:Just one more idea, I just ran across. Aug 15-17 Location is right by Rainbow Falls State park.
http://poshrat.com/bug-out-beta-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I want to know if they will let me bug out to the pirate ship. :lol:
http://dryadsrest.net/blog/?p=25

CQZ Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by CQZ Jinxmedic » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Hey, how about that- I'm all registered up again. :clap:

Seriously, though- the "Bug Out Beta Test" scheduled for 16-17-18 August is exactly that, a chance to try out the Dryad's Rest site as a camping event site. If we like the facility, the site owner is willing to put in an actual small-arms range (100-200 yds) for when we want to do an invitation-only event, such as next year's Summergeddon. That means campin' and shootin' in the same place! (Sounds good to me.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97409163@N ... otostream/

(unsucessfully trying to post photos here...)
"Building communities, one body at a time"

Return to “ZSC:005”