AR-mageddon - Northern Alliance AR15 Lower Buildout

Forum for the Pacific Northwest chapter members.

Moderators: ZS Chapter Volunteers, ZSC 005 Officers

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: AR-mageddon - Northern Alliance AR15 Lower Buildout

Post by DropZedFred » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:44 pm

2 of 3 LPK's spoken for.
3 of 10 Receivers spoken for.

If you are not on the list (OP), let me know, this is the last chance for ordering (Monday) as I will be out of town Tuesday for GLock Armorers school. Thx!
ZSC:019 Member
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:49 pm

DropZedFred wrote:2 of 3 LPK's spoken for.
3 of 10 Receivers spoken for.

If you are not on the list (OP), let me know, this is the last chance for ordering (Monday) as I will be out of town Tuesday for GLock Armorers school. Thx!
I didn't see my name on the OP for a lower receiver......

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 am

Oops! I counted you, but skipped your name.
Added!
Former ZSC-005 Chapter Vice Overlord and Potentate of the Northern Alliance for ZSC:005 - Western Washington Chapter (Founding 10), Activities Chair (by royal proclamation), "LIFER".

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Etc

Post by Big B » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:39 am

Thanks! I figured I was good to go, but I thought I should speak up just in case :mrgreen:

MEANTREE

Post by MEANTREE » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:19 am

OK DZF, I have a few questions for you:

Do you have a time frame in mind for this double event (Start time or schedule of events)?

If this is going to be over the lunch hour do we want to go in together on some grub and bring it or do we want to fire up the grill and everyone bring a few goodies?

How many participants are going to show so I can make sure I have enough chairs and table space?

Do you need me to get you a good set of directions for arrival and parking?
raptorman wrote:You're such a bitch. I should break your bones in alphabetical order.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Good call!

OK - Glockageddon is from 11 - 1
AR-mageddon is from 3 - 5
Lunch is from 1 - 2

BBQ sounds good, I can bring some dogs...
From 2 - 3 I will carpool the Lower Receiver folks to my place for the transfers (about 10 min each).

No total on numbers yet, but it looks like 8

I would like you to do the directions/parking info and use it as an RSVP.
So, if you are going to the event (either), please PM MEANTREE for info - Thanks!

MEANTREE

Post by MEANTREE » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42 am

Hello everyone,

Anyone who is going to ARmageddon and would like to get in on the lunch before please check the Glockageddon thread for a list of items to bring. I will keep that list updated as people post for responsibility. Any questions please ask.
raptorman wrote:You're such a bitch. I should break your bones in alphabetical order.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:38 pm

3 LPK's are in hand, No stock sets and 10 lower receivers.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:17 am

CDNN is having a sale on stock sets, I will have the catalog with me if anyone is interested. Can't make any recommendations, but the prices are so low, I'll be getting 3 sets (one of each) to check.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:38 pm

I BCC'ed everyone in a PM, just in case everyone didn't get the info.
MEANTREE and I are still trying to get a head count, please RSVP.
Thx

pasha
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead(both), 28 Days later, 28 Weeks later, The Last man on earth, Night of the comet, Dawn of the dead(both of them), Day of the dead(old one), Shaun of the dead, Lifeforce, Dance of the dead, Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D, Zombieland

Post by pasha » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:52 pm

Me and BN should be there for Ar-mageddon after the side trip. But I'm to poor right now to buy toys. :(
Your greatest adversary hides in your mirror
ZS:OO5 Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/433432705260/

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:47 am

Excellent meeting. Thanks for all the knowledge, food and good times, as usual. I'm now a happy owner of my very own AR lower receiver, and maybe someday I'll have a fully assembled rifle! Thanks guys!
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:24 am

Yeah, good times.
Great people, great food, and plenty of learnin'!
Someone has pix to prove it happened... :lol:

Black November

Post by Black November » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:36 am

Awesome skill builder.

"I guess you broke into the wrong goddamn rec room, didn't you" -Burt- Tremors
WINTERGEDDON: IX, X, XI, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI, XVII
SUMMERGEDDON: IX, X, XII, XIII, XIV, XV, XVI
SUMMER BUG OUT: XIII

Dietrich

Post by Dietrich » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks again for doing this, Northern Alliance.
You guys could probably put in a parts kit in your sleep, but having done it once, I know I could probably do it again if I had to. It is also good to do this just so one knows how all the pieces work on the inside.
So maybe someday I'll finish the thing with a stock and upper.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:03 pm

The amazing part was we launched a dozen detent pins in to orbit and managed to recover all of them!

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:16 am

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductD ... M4-16SOCOM

or

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M ... mid-16.htm

What's the real difference between the carbine and rifle versions, other than placement of the gas block/front sight? Will a 6-position carbine stock work well for a mid-length rifle, or is there really no difference? I have a Magpul CTR stock on the way, and I'm thinking of getting a mid-length upper to round it out.

What do you think?

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:15 am

They look pretty similar, I guess it is just if you want to look at the M203 cuts or not.
I like the looks of the mid-length myself - but then I'm not an M4gery fan.
I REALLY like the 1:7 twist, you can use 62 to 80 grain bullets instrad of being stuck using just 55gr.
I like the sight radius of a 16" (or 20") "Dissapator" though.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am

Ordered a DPMS Mil-Spec Buffer Tube Assembly.

Also planning:
Magpul Angled Foregrip (Flat Dark Earth)
Magpul MOE Carbine Stock (FDE)
Magpul MOE Trigger Guard (FDE)
Magpul P-Mag (FDE)
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle (Medium)

Obviously I like Magpul, but not for everything. I haven't decided on rifle handguards or detachable rear sight. I don't like carrying handles, so it'll be a flat-top. I don't plan on having optics soon, so a good set of irons is a must. I'm doing my best to space all this out, I don't want to drop a whole paycheck all at once!

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Big B » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:33 pm

DrGonzo wrote:*snip*

Obviously I like Magpul, but not for everything. I haven't decided on rifle handguards or detachable rear sight. I don't like carrying handles, so it'll be a flat-top. I don't plan on having optics soon, so a good set of irons is a must. I'm doing my best to space all this out, I don't want to drop a whole paycheck all at once!
If you like Magpul you should check out their real flip up sight. I have one on my patrol rifle and I like em so far. Plus you can get them in FDE. :wink:

If you're looking for a hand-guards with rails Daniel Defense. They have a new quad rail out that's priced pretty good link.

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Big B wrote:If you like Magpul you should check out their real flip up sight. I have one on my patrol rifle and I like em so far. Plus you can get them in FDE. :wink:

If you're looking for a hand-guards with rails Daniel Defense. They have a new quad rail out that's priced pretty good link.
Yeah, this one here. Looks slick.
I'm not looking for a free-float install right now, although those handguards look really nice. I think those are carbine length, when I'm going for a 16" mid-length. Unless it's all the same. The Magpul MOE handguards look like a toy, so no go there.

DropZedFred
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by DropZedFred » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:22 pm

If you are even considering using a sling that mounts past the lower receiver, you really want a free-float tube to keep the barrwl flex to a minimum. A can ROUTINELY change my point of impact with sling tightness - I am doing a FF tube and MilSpec A2 handguards.

Big B
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Big B » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:24 pm

So I got to the range today and was able to play with my new lower. :mrgreen:

I threw on an old M4 style stock I had laying around. This wont be what I leave on it, but it worked for today.

I took my Daniel Defense upper off my patrol rifle so I could run some drills with it.
I’m liking the logo on these lowers!

I had the range to myself so I got to run around, go prone, move & shoot, and just have a good old time! It also gave me a chance to play around with my Tactical Tailor MAV (I just moved some of the pouches around on it…. again :roll: ).

It was nice to make sure I actually put the lower together correctly since this only the 2nd lower I’ve done. Big thanks to DropZedFred & Meantree, you guys rock! :D

The only issue I had was some of my Magpul Pmags did not want to drop free when empty. The metal GI mags dropped no prob though. It’s not really a big deal because I have a whole bunch of GI mags, but I figured I’d let everyone know before you go out and buy 100 Pmags. I might try polishing up the mag well to see it that helps.

Now I just need to decide what kind of upper I want to put on this guy……. Hmmm….

MEANTREE

Post by MEANTREE » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 am

I would be willing to bet that after a few hundred magazine insert and removals with the standard metal magazines your P Mags will start to drop free on their own when empty. I might be wrong but only time will tell.

Return to “ZSC:005”