Items of Barter... What do you store to trade later?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tater Raider

Re: Items of Barter... What do you store to trade later?

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Anything with a "sin tax" on it is a money maker pre-PAW, so in a PAW the value will be even higher. Booze and smokes would be two.

ZomBosox
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the dead, and Shaun of the dead. Life without humor is like living life as a Zombie!

Post by ZomBosox » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:53 pm

ITZombie wrote:We're steering clear of tobacco and alcohol because I was around alcoholics and chain smokers during most of my formative years and they can, did and will go to some seriously messed up lengths to feed those habits. Like I told my wife, we do not want to be known as the group that has liquor to trade. YMMV of course. Such things are and will be of high value to the right people. We just don't want to deal with those people when they turn into the wrong people.
Thats an unbelievably valid point that i dont think i have ever thought of. In the PAW just because we here will be as civilized as possible doesnt mean others wont. Adictions can do funny things to a mans mind. I wouldnt want to be the one between a man and his addictions just because he cant pay for it.
'Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not.'
-Robert F. Kennedy

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LtCmdLeia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:19 pm

I totally agree. I don't want to stock booze to trade.

I've always wondered why people stock ammo to trade. I certainly don't want to arm a potential enemy.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

funkychicken

Post by funkychicken » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:57 pm

What about nails, screws, wire, and lumber/Plywood? It's all good that we are trading food and consumables but without shelter your only 2/3's out of the woods. Water, food, and shelter are the big three. Wood working tools like rip saws, drills, hammers, etc. for building permanent structures will be harder to find, apart from the fact that nobody has said they will have them as barter items. So one of my preps is assorted sizes of nails and wood screws for boarding up windows etc.
I am Funkychicken, and I approve this message.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:57 pm

By all means, prep your trade items according to your moral compass. Just remember everyone's moral compass is a bit different.

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LtCmdLeia » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:03 pm

With all of us saving different items to barter I can kind of imagine an interesting "barter market" set up like in the mall parking lot in the PAW.

I wish bartering was more prevalent in today's society. I'm fortunate that I do farmers markets and have the opportunity to barter with people there, but I'd love to barter more than I get to do now.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:18 pm

LtCmdLeia wrote:With all of us saving different items to barter I can kind of imagine an interesting "barter market" set up like in the mall parking lot in the PAW.

I wish bartering was more prevalent in today's society. I'm fortunate that I do farmers markets and have the opportunity to barter with people there, but I'd love to barter more than I get to do now.
I know a guy who wants to be a merchant prince in the event of a PAW.

Gr3g

Post by Gr3g » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

Tater Raider wrote:By all means, prep your trade items according to your moral compass. Just remember everyone's moral compass is a bit different.
Have to gree with Tater on this, if your not comfortable with it then dont stock tobacco and alcohol.

You considered that in times of desperation those nice people you know may turn in the the people you currently dispise, with or without alcohol!

Having at least a little alcohol and tobacco may win you very valuable friends. Remember that not everyone who enjoys a smoke or drink is a bad person, and it may turn bad people into better people for long enough to take the appropriate action :)

ElvenNyx

Post by ElvenNyx » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:17 pm

How about animals as trade?

For example, that dude from Doomsday Preppers that had bunnies. I personally think that is a great idea. If you want to trade for something big that you really need/want, you can trade a male and female bunny. If the people are patient enough and wait for them to breed, than BAM! Instant infinite meat source.

I also think people, while desperate for survival goods, will also want luxuries to trade for. Soaps, lotions, hot chocolate, sugar, chapstick, tampons even!

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:35 pm

I'm not really stocking anything for bartering purposes. That being said, I could part with a fair amount of boolitz, matches, Advil & Alkaseltzer, if the need arose.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:40 pm

LtCmdLeia wrote:I've always wondered why people stock ammo to trade. I certainly don't want to arm a potential enemy.
I think it depends on who you picture yourself trading with. I hate doing retail with a passion right now, in a situation where there's a serious chance any unknown customer could turn out to be a highly armed robber, possibly with a well armed gang? I think I'll pass.

Any trading I do would, ideally, be within a community. If I've just delivered your second child, I'm probably somebody safe to pay in ammo, if that's the currency that works. If my neighbor is low on ammo, it's probably good if I can find something they can trade me for to get them restocked on that. Trading such things, within a community, makes much more sense to me. A community trading such things with outsiders would need to be big enough and have organized defenses.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:48 pm

ElvenNyx wrote:How about animals as trade?

For example, that dude from Doomsday Preppers that had bunnies. I personally think that is a great idea. If you want to trade for something big that you really need/want, you can trade a male and female bunny. If the people are patient enough and wait for them to breed, than BAM! Instant infinite meat source.
You eat a lot of inbred rabbit, do ya? It doesn't work like that, you need more than just 2 to breed rabbits, although the numbers they could create would be large in their lifetimes, it certainly wouldn't make very many viable future generations I'd think.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

ElvenNyx

Post by ElvenNyx » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:51 am

BigDaddyTX wrote:
ElvenNyx wrote:How about animals as trade?

You eat a lot of inbred rabbit, do ya? It doesn't work like that, you need more than just 2 to breed rabbits, although the numbers they could create would be large in their lifetimes, it certainly wouldn't make very many viable future generations I'd think.
I wasn't thinking of having the kits breed, just the adults. Female rabbits can be bred at 6 months and can have an average litter of 7 rabbits, though they can have as many as 14 at a time. If she's breed often (and safely), she can average about 90-100 kits per year. That's a little under 2 rabbits a week for eating. Considering rabbits usually live to about 10 years or so, it's a lot. Now if you trade 2 males and 2 females, you can have 20+ years of safe rabbit meat to eat.

*shrugs* Anyway, just an idea. I used to volunteer for a animal sanctuary and we had a lot of rabbits, so this came to mind.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:21 pm

You could still go back to the guy who you got your wabbits from and trade back a buck and a doe for a different buck n doe to get the genetic diversity in the future. Might even pack a few more does and let them get impregnated by various bucks of the other guy for a fee.

Tank Woman

Post by Tank Woman » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:30 pm

If you start with 1 buck and 3 does you can have a reasonably safe genetic pool for meat rabbits to continue on indefinitely. Way, way, way back when I was in 4-H, rabbits were one of my faves.
A few things I remember:
Don't breed siblings to each other.
It's ok to breed mother to son, or father to daughter.
It's ok to breed cousins.
Lol, ok I really don't remember all that much, but if you are interested you can research it...I think its called Line Breeding.

searching4itnc

Post by searching4itnc » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 pm

RexHavoc wrote:Hershey's syrup in the can, Hershey's Powder to divide and barter for smaller transactions, only half kidding.
Man, I'm gonna have to trade with you! If the SHTF, chocolate is where it's at!
"Save the last bullet for yourself".

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:57 pm

I have been stocking up on laundry detergent (Tide), Gold (I melt down), Alcohol (I can also make my own in a pinch with fruit, sugar, yeast), Chocolate, hard candies and medical supplies.
Learning is an ongoing process.

NorrisUnleashed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead.
World War Z(I know not a Movie)

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:39 am

Every pay day I go to the bank and get 5 or 6 sacagawea dollars and throw them in an ammo can. I dont really plan on bartering with anyone in the paw that I dont barter with now but why not. Its not like I cant spend those coins tomarrow if If I wanted too.
Draugrbitr

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:46 am

I like the idea of tools that directly replace the gas or electric tools we use now. The quality of many of that type of hand tool you find at most big box hardware stores suck. Some of these things can be found cheaply if you look around.

1. Old True Temper, Plumb, Council, etc. axe heads that can be rehandled.
2. Hand saws: more specifically large saws for cutting up trees and making boards.
3. Files and jigs for sharpening saws.
4. Non electric drills that can use regular drill bits.
5. Cultivator tines
6. Hoes and Pitchforks that were made with the collar and head having one piece construction.

Some items that are impractical to store many multiples of, but can be used to make goods or provide services.

7. a pedal powered wood lathe
8. a pedal powered sewing machine
9. large grape, berry, olive presses
10. large grain and meat grinders
11. forge, bellows, and metal working tools

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

Dark_Knight7096

Re: Re: Items of Barter... What do you store to trade later

Post by Dark_Knight7096 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:06 pm

NorrisUnleashed wrote:Every pay day I go to the bank and get 5 or 6 sacagawea dollars and throw them in an ammo can. I dont really plan on bartering with anyone in the paw that I dont barter with now but why not. Its not like I cant spend those coins tomarrow if If I wanted too.
Only problem with this is, PAW, US legal currency may not be worth anything.
Martin C Ingenbrandt IV

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Re: Items of Barter... What do you store to trade later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Dark_Knight7096 wrote:
NorrisUnleashed wrote:Every pay day I go to the bank and get 5 or 6 sacagawea dollars and throw them in an ammo can. I dont really plan on bartering with anyone in the paw that I dont barter with now but why not. Its not like I cant spend those coins tomarrow if If I wanted too.
If people aren't accepting the legal currency, then there are no guaranteees what the currency will become.

I'm gonna start collecting bottlecaps and pull-tabs myself.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Dark_Knight7096

Re: Re: Re: Items of Barter... What do you store to trade l

Post by Dark_Knight7096 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Doc Torr wrote:
Dark_Knight7096 wrote:
If people aren't accepting the legal currency, then there are no guaranteees what the currency will become.

I'm gonna start collecting bottlecaps and pull-tabs myself.
Something tells me bottlecaps and pull-tabs won't work. If were honestly talking about SHTF PAW WOTRL TEOTWAWKI etc then currency will be anything with intrisic or practical value. If you have skills that are valuable they can be currency, gold and silver may work, food, ammo, water, gasoline, knives, lighters, flashlights, etc can all be used as currency.
If people are still taking sakegewia(sp?) coins they would still accept standard USDs so its pointless to specifically look for these "gold" dollars when paper currency would take up less room. If you want precious coins silver quarters, dimes, nickels, dollars, etc would work better.
Martin C Ingenbrandt IV

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Lots of hygiene products! We used to get the freebies from the hotels, when Mr. NoAm traveled. Now it's free from couponing.
Deoderants, shampoos, lotions, toothpastes, toothbrushes, floss, soaps. etc.
We finally found a good use for the 3 gallon containers, barter items. :wink:
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

minengr

Post by minengr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I have several 1/2oz and 1oz silver coins. I also have a few gold nuggets from when I worked at a mine in NV. Gold and Silver have been preceived to have value for a couple thousand years, I hope the PAW doesn't change that.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”