How much fuel do you have on hand right now

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

echo2

How much fuel do you have on hand right now

Post by echo2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 pm

How much fuel do you keep on hand for emergencies?

How are you storing it?

Do you use any stabilizing chemicals?

How do you go about cycling it?

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: How much fuel do you have on hand right now

Post by duodecima » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:51 pm

12 gallons gas
plastic gas cans, until I buy better (damn squirrels...)
no stabilizers
rotate into cars every 3 months (maximizes my grocery store gas rewards.)
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:03 pm

duodecima wrote:12 gallons gas
no stabilizers
Where do you store the gas? A garage (not sure about the squirrel comment)? I do not have access to a garage. I posted this weeks ago and did not get any good recommendations. If I did have a safe place to store it, I think 12 gallons sounds like a decent amount, especially with a 3 month rotation.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

jt526

Post by jt526 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 pm

40 gallons stabilized with Sta-Bil and stored in 8 Scepter 5gallon contaiers. The Scepter cans can pretty much only be found on ebay and go for between $50 to $150. I've got the used Canadian Army ones. Pay attention the caps, make sure you get ones with Viton gaskets for storing gas, and not rubber for diesel. Option B would be the 5gal nato cans from http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_in ... ts_id=1718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, at $200 for 4. Rotate every six months or so.

Any other storage container I am familiar with pales in comparison to these. And of those two, I prefer the Scepters. Mine is stored in the garage. Scepters melt, not explode, so they have that over metal cans (or so I understand

http://www.expeditionportal.com/equipme ... er_can.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:25 pm

AnonEmous wrote:
duodecima wrote:12 gallons gas
no stabilizers
Where do you store the gas? A garage (not sure about the squirrel comment)? I do not have access to a garage. I posted this weeks ago and did not get any good recommendations. If I did have a safe place to store it, I think 12 gallons sounds like a decent amount, especially with a 3 month rotation.
Yes, garage. Termite ridden, squirrel infested... The squirrels chewed thru the cap on one of the cans. I find this bizarre and no one else chimes in with any other experience, I guess I have whacked out squirrels...

We'd have a shed, if we didn't have a garage. In fact, if I had neither, I'd put the cans in the little garden storage unit (which can be locked). If I lived in an apartment (not clear what your situation is) I don't know what I'd do, I sure wouldn't store inside a vehicle or in an inhabited structure. Under some kind of cover on a balcony? (My last apartment had no balcony, I'm thinking there was just no way to store gas when I lived there.)
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Welcome to ZS Devineus. Please take a second look at our rules. We don't discuss taking other people's things, ever.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 44&t=19895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.) No discussion of illegal activities as a viable option.
We do not condone murder or theft or explosives so we do not appreciate them being promoted on our boards. Other illicit activities are also verboten, but these are the ones most often brought up.
Regardless of what you think a disaster will look like, looting has been (proven by history) a bad thing to do, do your research. Since we are a not for profit that does many charitable things across North America, we have adopted the rule - don't take people's shit.

A great way to avoind stealing people's gas is to get your own now, when it is avaialable, from vendors that will give it to you for money.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

funkychicken

Post by funkychicken » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 pm

3- 6 gallons blitz fuel cans
5 gallons in the genny
sta-bil fuel stabalizer in all.
Truck and van never go below 1/2 tank.
Vinson 500 quad is always full.
And post above is stealling which is wrong. No matter what the situation.
Edit*Thanks Ninja Elbow*
I am Funkychicken, and I approve this message.

echo2

Post by echo2 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:43 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Welcome to ZS Devineus. Please take a second look at our rules. We don't discuss taking other people's things, ever.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 44&t=19895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.) No discussion of illegal activities as a viable option.
We do not condone murder or theft or explosives so we do not appreciate them being promoted on our boards. Other illicit activities are also verboten, but these are the ones most often brought up.
Regardless of what you think a disaster will look like, looting has been (proven by history) a bad thing to do, do your research. Since we are a not for profit that does many charitable things across North America, we have adopted the rule - don't take people's shit.

A great way to avoind stealing people's gas is to get your own now, when it is avaialable, from vendors that will give it to you for money.

Amen....

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:14 pm

I really do not like having a lot of gasoline on hand in my home. I think the risk of fire far outweighs the advantage of gasoline on hand.

That said I do store gasoline but in jugs inside a container outside in the backyard away from the house.

I maintain 20 gallons year round (roughly one full tank of gas for a car) in 4 5 gallon jugs. During hurricane season (July through September) I bump this up to 30 gallons (6 -5 gallon jugs). I do not use stabilizer because with so little fuel I can rotate 100% of the gasoline every 90 days. Once a month I dump 10 gallons into a car and fill up the jugs.

The generators run on either diesel or natural gas. The diesel does have stabilizer in it and is rotated annually. However, storing diesel (in a properly secured and vented fuel tank) does not bother me as much as having a lot of gasoline around.

If you store fuel you need to make sure that if it leaks and/or catches fire it will not burn your property down. Do not underestimate the danger of a stored liquid fuel.

I would also point out that if you keep your vehicle fuel tanks full they make very good storage tanks. They are easy to transport, properly secured and the fuel is very close to where you will likely need it. I normally refuel at 1/2 a tank. So if you have two cars keep them at half a tank and have means to strip and transfer the fuel from one to the other. This along with even just 10 gallons gives you significant options if your concern is a bug out.

Edited to add:

If you are going to keep significant quantities of gasoline on hand you should consider using either 55 gallon drums or a properly approved and installed above ground storage tank. I would note that metal 55 gallon drums are DOT approved for transport and storage of gasoline. State and local laws may be more restrictive but at least the feds do not mind if you use 55 gallon metal drums.

A painted metal drum stored on a pallet (off the ground to avoid a rusty bottom) or in a containment berm with a drum cover does not need any additional protection from the elements.

A drum cover to protect the top of the drum from the elements.
Last edited by raptor on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:32 pm

Just hit half a tank last night, then I saw gas was $4.19 a gallon at my friendly local Shell :lol: 7 gallons is cheaper than 14 :)
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

GentryMillMan

Post by GentryMillMan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:37 pm

I keep 5 - 20 Gallons of gas at the house, stabilized (sta-bil) it usually makes it through the spring/summer/fall for the mower, tiller, weed eater, and chainsaw. But typically I only have a gallon of mixed fuel that way if I need straight gas I have it.
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

Benny
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Benny » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:45 pm

I currently have 7 x 5gal plastic cans of gasoline, treated with Sta-Bil, working my way to 10 x 5gal cans. I rotate through the mowers and generator, and I should be able to rotate through that in a summer season, maybe summer season + winter.

I also have 3 x 5gal plastic cans of kerosene, working my way to 7-10 x 5gal for the kerosene heater. I don't think I'll go all the way to 50 gallons of kerosene, as I'm not sure I'd be able to rotate through it in a winter season. I plan on picking up a few metal cans for kerosene for longer-term storage, as it's pretty much stable in metal.

These are stored in a shed away from the house with no electricity, so hopefully chance of ignition and fire is low.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"
Chapter electrician & mad scientist

Richard Dupp

Post by Richard Dupp » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:25 am

I had 110 gallons of gas treated with stabil in two 55 gallon steel drums in the garage at the BOL but lost them in a tragic boating accident.

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:26 am

123 gallons of diesel; 85 in pickup bed aux tank and 38 in the full tank.
150 gallons of non-ethenol gasoline in the boats tanks.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

Feeney

Post by Feeney » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:38 pm

About 35 Gallons, old NATO Gerry cans that I fixed up by sanding and repainting. Stabilized with Sta-bil, double dose lasts two years. I have done this for several years in a row now, recycling at the end of shelf-life through our cars with no ill effects. Notice the lock cable so no one walks away with them... :o

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:29 pm

10 of the 5 gallon containers, kept full with stablizer added.
Tahoe is 20ish gallons
Camry 17 gallons
Frontier 15 gallons
All of these are always above 1/2

Don't forget about the gas grills! We have 5 grill tanks we use and rotate.
I am always searching for grill tanks and 5 gallon fuel containers at garage sales & flea markets.
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

Trident
Favorite Zombie Movies: Have not yet decided.

Post by Trident » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:01 pm

What do you do if you have ethanol in the gas?
Our local bulk fuel supplier, says that Sta-bil will not protect fuel with ethanol?
From the ethanol from precipitating out.
They said it turns to a white chalky substance and will gunk out your engine.
Is that true?

Currently we keep our tanks full in our vehicles.
Have on hand a small amount of mixed fuel for the chainsaw.

Due to the danger of wild land fire near our home we do not keep large amounts of gas on hand.

We have found that bears love gas and oil cans! It is like honey to them.

Have had a bear chew out the chainsaw plastic gas, water lines and empty plastic gas cans.

In our state we have the cruddy air saving features and it is a pain in the behind to use them!

Locally folks have taken to stealing gas from the the school vans and buses. They cut the fuel lines and it is a real drag for our transportation department.

Maybe, the car fuel filters will filter the gunk out. I do know that if we don't use the fuel in about six weeks time, the ethanol gunk plugs up the smaller engine equipment ie. chain saws and mowers.

Does anyone have suggestions for treating ethanol laced fuel?

thanks

GentryMillMan

Post by GentryMillMan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Trident wrote:What do you do if you have ethanol in the gas?
Our local bulk fuel supplier, says that Sta-bil will not protect fuel with ethanol?
From the ethanol from precipitating out.
They said it turns to a white chalky substance and will gunk out your engine.
Is that true?

Does anyone have suggestions for treating ethanol laced fuel?

thanks
This is what we use in boats to deal with ethanol. Boat fuel tank vents are typically on the side of the boat about a foot above the water. The "breathing" (temperature expansion and contraction of air in tank) will cause high humidity and subsequent water intrusion and ultimately phase separation. Check with local marinas (subject to AO) to see if they have an ethanol free gasoline that you can buy in "approved" containers.
http://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Enzyme ... B001VMNHX8
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

Paratus

Post by Paratus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:59 pm

I just filled up my car a few hours ago, so I have that along with an extra 'emergency-only' two gallon jug in my garage, which I rotate out every two and a half months.

...Not very much.

[Edit; Typo, I actually switch out my gasoline every six weeks (one and a half months)]
Last edited by Paratus on Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and carry on.

grennels

Post by grennels » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:12 am

50 gal. in a drum in the shed out back. Plus a variable amount in 5 gal. cans in the garage.
50 gal. drum gets cycled into the mower through the summer. Which leaves me low by late
summer. Should fill a second drum, I suppose, but cycling would become a hassle.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

inop

Post by inop » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 am

50 gal gas in nato cans
15 gal diesel in usgi/blitz steel cans

in the barn

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:11 am

2x 5 gallon boat tanks (with the marine oil mixed in for the outboard... I've looked and this can be run in your tank. I'd likely try and dilute the mix even more (i.e. not fill the Escape up with both of these at once)

4x 5 gallon gas cans (plastic)

1 gallon chainsaw mix

couple of spare 1 gallon cans (empty)
2.5 gallon can (empty)

My goal is to get up to 50 gallons of regular gas in the shed.

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

HKTackDriver

Post by HKTackDriver » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:12 am

Between both cars - 30 gallons + 7 - 5 gallon containers = 65 gallons.

Mr.Pliskin

Post by Mr.Pliskin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:59 pm

2 55 gallon drums which I fill up the vehicles on instead of the gas station
8 5gal nato cans
3 5-6 gallon poly cans (though the 6 gallon one is light pink its so old)
1 usgi can
1 2.5 with treates weed eater gas

So usually around 100+ gallons at any given time.

We could use my wifes car for almost a year without ever going to a gas station.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”