Zombie Patrol

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

rrc
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pretty much all of them...

Re: Zombie Patrol

Post by rrc » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:51 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
rrc wrote:This is by far one of the best posts I've read on this website. I have been a member now for almost a year and cannot believe I've never stumbled upon this. That being said, I'm only on page 3 and will continue catching up. Meanwhile, I will start my own recon missions down here in SEPA. Unfortunately I do not have a mighty companion to recon with, so I'll be flying at this solo. Keep up the great work. :clap:
Back when I was a young buck private in the Zombie Corps, I was stationed in the Media/Swarthmore area. Did regular patrols in a place called Ridley Creek State Park. We were always tamping down outbreaks there.

What a coincidence... I literally live 30 seconds from the Ridley Creek State Park and will be patrolling there, as well as other, lesser known places, on a regular basis soon to come.
People ask me "How can you be so in to this 'prepping' thing?" My only response is "When SHTF, maybe you'll understand why..."

jare-3
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:42 am

BlueSilkRibbon wrote:
jare-3 wrote:Condition: Critical
Importance: High
To all ZRD handlers in the NEPA area, Canine Influenza threat should be taken seriously and all precautions made to avoid exposure. ZRD Elsa will be responding to Battalion Sick Call sometime around 1200 hours EDT for what appears to be a moderate case. Be advised, this is highly contagious and may be passed to you ZRD without the host animal present. Symptoms are quite similar to human Influenza. As with human influenza, failure to recognise and treat the virus may result in pneumonia and death.

End transmission.
Thanks for the heads up brother. I hope Elsa gets well soon.

End Transmission

BSR
Just as an update since I have a minute. The Canine Flu is quite a bit like our own. Symptoms are very similar, runny nose, cough, fever, aches and pains, loss of appetite due to sore throat, CRANKINESS. According to the local corposman...uh vet Dr. Clair (who is actually a former corpsman) it can be passed as easily as an uninfected dog sniffing the urine or snot of an infected dog. As we do not frequent dog parks, groomers, or other public canine venues due to Esla's lack of social skills you can imagine my confusion. In his estimation, she most likely picked it up during one of our routine patrols by simply inhaling or licking something on the ground.

So fellow ZRD handlers, please be on guard and careful of your surroundings. Its not only the undead that can cause problems. Additionally, the antibiotic or Doggie Z-Pac is quite expensive. $165 for a 3 week supply and that was with 20% off. That's all I have of value on the topic for now.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!

No eating/drinking/snorting the Bath Salts! - jonm61 (WaltherForums)

BlueSilkRibbon
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Walking Dead
Location: Pocono Mountains, North Eastern Pennsylvania (NePa),

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Ok my fellow patrollers, anyone wanting some patrol gear can find it here.

http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zazzle gives back 10% of sales to the "store/artist" and I will donate ALL profits from sales to my local "no kill" shelter
"The Center for Animal Health & Welfare" (http://www.spcanorthampton.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) these are great people doing great work.

Please support and enjoy.

BSR
Zombie Patrol: It's like neighborhood watch...with Zombies.
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:05 pm

BlueSilkRibbon wrote:Ok my fellow patrollers, anyone wanting some patrol gear can find it here.

http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zazzle gives back 10% of sales to the "store/artist" and I will donate ALL profits from sales to my local "no kill" shelter
"The Center for Animal Health & Welfare" (http://www.spcanorthampton.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) these are great people doing great work.

BSR
Read the thread, responded to it and now I literally got the t-shirt. So much WIN!

Don't know what your break even order level is, but I hope this fantastic source of exclusively-esoteric zombie swag generates a tidy little profit for that no-kill animal shelter. Thanks for doing this, BSR!

jare-3
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Way to go BSR! This is gonna rock!
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!

No eating/drinking/snorting the Bath Salts! - jonm61 (WaltherForums)

a_lebeduik
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, The Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Comet

Post by a_lebeduik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:48 am

BlueSilkRibbon wrote:Ok my fellow patrollers, anyone wanting some patrol gear can find it here.

BSR
Another great link! Thanks again! :clap:
-Annisa
We work in the dark, to serve the light.

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Meningitis-linked steroid may have affected 13,000 people in U.S.: CDC

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Reuters) - Some 13,000 people in 23 U.S. states may have received steroid injections linked to a rare fungal meningitis outbreak that has killed eight people, but far fewer are likely to contract the disease, the Centers for Disease Control said on Monday.

12 fatalities are currently attributed to the outbreak. FYI: This is why despite being in healthcare I do NOT get the Flu shot.

Im telling ya Patrollers this is just how this apocalypse shit gets started!

Mission: Patrol of undisclosed location in the wilderness of the NEPA to assess undead encroachment and potentially dangerous fungal overgrowth.

Team: Myself and Riley, the Zombie Response Dog (ZRD)

Equipment: EDC and crossbow for me, 12 lb ruck for Riley (ZRD)

Weather: Gorgeous 78 degrees but damp from 2 days rain.

After Action Report:
As stated in earlier reports , we have observed a bumper crop of mushrooms this year but we are also seeing rarities and frankly we are concerned. One never knows how Z Day is going to arrive and fungal spores is as good a way as any. So we set about on a recon mission of tagging and monitoring some of the more prolific species. It only takes one local Iron-Chef wannabe to serve a questionable 'shroom in his Bistro and the NEPA would be overrun. Photo recon attached:

Just a boy and his (Zombie Response) Dog...and a crossbow. Good times.
As part of our ongoing effort in the NEPA we continue to place static game camera's and dynamic solar powered live cams in likely hot spots and approach routes. Here, Myself and Riley (ZRD) are caught on a static cam.

Check out the insidious and ingenious camo on these suckers

Same species, camo is less effected when deployed in this manor.

Bingo! We believe this to be ground zero of the NEPA fungal outbreak.

Close-up of ground zero. Web cam placed at this location to monitor situation.

Harmless "Chicken of the Forest" best dealt with by sauteing in butter.

End Transmission

BSR
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Zombie Patrol

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Meet Judy my ZRD
Image as you can see she takes patrolling the perimeter of my farm seriously.
She's always quick to listen and alert me to any potential undead intruders
So far all is clear in N. Ireland.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

rrc
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pretty much all of them...

Post by rrc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:29 am

Just thought you all might like to take a look at this, since you are all avid dog owners and I currently can not own a dog with my living situation.

Enjoy... :mrgreen:

http://pactforanimals.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~RRC
People ask me "How can you be so in to this 'prepping' thing?" My only response is "When SHTF, maybe you'll understand why..."

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:07 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:So far all is clear in N. Ireland.
"An Ulster man I am proud to be from the Antrim Glens I come..."

Welcome to the Patrol Wee! And sure a fine ZRD lass Judy is. Great post! Ahhh just to see your pics of Éireann...
One question, is that a short fence or a big dog? :)

End Transmission

BSR

My Lobo:

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:07 pm

rrc wrote:Just thought you all might like to take a look at this, since you are all avid dog owners and I currently can not own a dog with my living situation.

http://pactforanimals.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~RRC
rrc that is a great link, thank you.

End Transmission

BSR

My Lobo:

GoneFishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead (Or as my preschooler calls it: "Walking The Dad")

Post by GoneFishin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:13 am

Solar Operations Briefing
September/October 2012
Checkpoint Whiskey
Sector Boston
Report completed by: ZRD Schmaltzie (all my humans are making cookie dough for today's solar ops, leaving me to file the +&@# paperwork)

Sometimes you don't have to look any farther than your own back yard. ZRD Schmaltzie (yes, Schmaltzie) on rounds. Oddly, this neighborhood is plagued by twice-daily migratory Zed movement, as well as some rare Zombie Squirrels. Fortunately they're the more passive Ghoulish Grey Squirrel variant, versus the much more dangerous (and LOUD) Ragin' Reds. Zombie Squirrels are nothin' to mess with! As for the migratory, bi-pedal Zeds...they seem drawn to a nearby rail station. Perhaps they're attracted to the smell of diesel. I'm sure you all remember that toe-tapping classic, "Charlie On The MTA", about our Boston subway system. It is possible that Charlie was a Zed after all. Must investigate further. In the meantime, here's a peek at recent security rounds:

ZRD Schmaltzie (There, I said it again.), cleverly disguised as a massive feather duster as I monitor the assembly of a Copenhagen solar panel cooker.

Surprise! It's a Zombie Response Dog! Told you so!

Here, I am providing extra cover for the preschooler's ("Survivalist Barbie") pink leopard print car sunshade panel cooker. The mission was successful - pepperoni pizzas for all!

Finally, when conducting high-risk solar parabola ops, I cover the Safety Observer *and* Gate Security billets. Here, I complete a perimeter check before returning to my duty post - a spot directly in line-of-sight for the gate, driveway and approach sidewalk, while maintaining a perfect 90-degree visual angle to the skillet on the burner.

Respectfully submitted,
Schmaltzie, ZRD
Checkpoint Whiskey, Sector Boston

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Zombie Patrol

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:50 pm

BlueSilkRibbon wrote:
rrc wrote:Just thought you all might like to take a look at this, since you are all avid dog owners and I currently can not own a dog with my living situation.

~RRC
rrc that is a great link, thank you.

End Transmission

BSR
QFT
A gorgeous, family dog called Lennox died here earlier this year because of breed specific legislation :(
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Zombie Patrol

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome BSR.
My ZRD is just particularly compact :D

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:00 pm

BSR

My ZRD t-shirt in stone green arrived in the mail today from Zazzle. A mere five days after ordering it. Super high quality Hanes tagless with the flat-stitched shoulder seams. Looks fantastic!

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:57 am

BlueSilkRibbon wrote:Riley ready to patrol. Sporting his new working dog patch.
where did you get the patch, if I may ask ?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:02 pm

Barnabus wrote:
BlueSilkRibbon wrote:Riley ready to patrol. Sporting his new working dog patch.
where did you get the patch, if I may ask ?
The "Zombie Response Dog" is actually two velcro backed name strips which can be had all over the web such as

http://www.1800nametape.com/law.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BSR

My Lobo:

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:15 pm

WeeDoB, we are very aware and saddened by the plight of Lennox. Bastards got Henry Joy, Plunket, Pearse and Tone and many more and were always willing to spit in the eye of world opinion so a poor dog never stood a chance.

Gonefishin, great post and very interesting, thank you. Schmaltzie's looking in top form!

End transmission

BSR

My Lobo:

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

Blue, thnaks to your thread, I got a pack for my dog Barney the other day. With it on he looks like a 74 pound version of Riley, soon as I can I'll try and post pics of him. I'm going to start him out getting used to it with 2 cans of food, then add bottles of water a little at a time to get him adjusted to wearing it on our walks.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”