Zombie Patrol

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Zombie Patrol

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Brass sent me orders to officially join the ranks of civilian wing of ZS, saying it would be good for morale if I bellied up to the bar, seeing how I spend so much time with our ZRD volunteer ranks. I "respectfully" countered that I was actually faithfully executing my martial responsibilities because the ZRD program has so much tactical value to our combat branch. But you know how it is. Once the upper echelons get a wire up their ass, there's no talking them out of it.

At any rate, it'll take a few weeks (minimum) for the admin ranks to process my papers. In the mean time I thought (since I hardly ever contribute photos of my own) I'd share the pic I selected for my ZS civvie ID. This was from the Northeast outbreak a few years back. To say we got caught with our pants down would be an understatement; there's a reason why I'm out of uniform in this picture. I have a bit less hair and a few more pounds today, but you would still recognize me from this photo if you saw me in the flesh.

Not as dramatic as it looks; this particular shot was taken by a war correspondent with an extreme telephoto lens. The zed in this picture is actually a good 5-10 feet back from the corner I'm sidling up to. And I never did get a crack at him with that lobo; a fully armed ZS response team arrived seconds after this picture was taken and dispatched the rascal with a single, well placed head shot.

Still, I had him dead to rights. It actually would have felt good to this old dog to plant that axe blade in just one more zombie skull (it's split more than a few over the years, let me tell you). But I suspect that unless things ever got really get bad again, those days are long behind me.

Weather's cooling off, which as we all know slows down the decomposition process. So autumn is always a period of increased undead activity. And especially with the days getting shorter, stay sharp people, and keep those reports coming.

OTTB

Post by OTTB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Missus and I went on a Bicycle Zombie Patrol today.Image Terrain was indicitive of overgrown and unkempt Northern Florida.

We did see a few signs of habitation Image evidently there is some remnants of society in hiding judging by the recently trimmed grass and the trail in the background. Also someone appears to have been on the run during the initial outbreak judging by this hasty and poorly put together encampment with trash Image

Also a Navy Blackhawk was spotted presumably doing evecauation operations from Saint Augustine Fort. Image

Lastly an abandoned mostly sunk boat was spotted and judging by the lack of recovery operations that no one will be around for a while. Image

Our Z dog couldn't come on the patrol due to the lack of her ability to distinguish Z from Human.
If you cant run, you walk, if you cant walk you crawl, if you cant crawl pray the zombies dont find you.

BlueSilkRibbon
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Walking Dead
Location: Pocono Mountains, North Eastern Pennsylvania (NePa),

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:41 pm

Very well done OTTB, the key is to get out there, the make up of your team is inconsequential. It is great to see the Southern States checking in!

Majorhavoc, that is a badass looking zombiechopper you got there! And congrats on the promotion(?).

I had a huge post of recent activity WITH video which has been lost in cyberhell, but I should have something else by the weekend.

BSR
Zombie Patrol: It's like neighborhood watch...with Zombies.
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Mission: Urgent patrol of Bear Swamp Archery Complex, Northhampton County, Pa USA for reported sighting of undead.

Team: Myself and Riley the Zombie Response Dog

Weather: 82F but VERY humid.

Equipment: EDC and 45lb Bear recurve, 6 carbon fiber arrows with field points and my Lobo for me. 12 lb ruck for Riley ZRD.

After Action Report
A beautiful day in the NEPA, until I hear some strange reports on the police band regarding Bear Swamp Archery Complex. It seems some strange creatures were spotted by some archers on the KD range and authorities were notified. So Riley (ZRD) and I hop in the Zombie Response Vehicle and excuse the pun hightail it over there. Strange creatures were indeed found. Photorecon attached.

Per ZS and ZRD patrol guidelines: on arrival the trailhead was secured and warning tape placed.

As each sector is cleared, we take some target practice in preparation for the inevitable. Note the water and foot bridge to the target.
"Bear Swamp" is not just a clever name.

Upon arrival at the tree stand training platform, as is our procedure, we ascend for a better vantage point.

It is not good when you see something in one direction and your partner see's something in the other.

Having cleared this area we decide to take some more target practice at the 20 and 30 yard targets. This time using our new Zombie Hostage targets.

This is my no-shit first shot at the 20 yard mark from and elevated position, instinct shooting.

And my no-shit second shot.

Unfortunately this is my no-shit first shot at the 30 yard target. In my defence her head is in the bullseye of the target behind her. Oops.

Contact! Further down the trail we we see a creature stumbling and shambling through the woods. We race to dispatch the fiend who is now digging around a rotting hardwood log. As I take an arrow from my quiver it turns it's head and says "hey look, chicken of the forest" "want some?"
It seems the hot humid weather this season is producing a bumper crop of mushrooms and the mycologists and mushroom hunters are out in force.
Geez these people are worse than Geocachers for chrissakes.

Boardwalk trail through swamp. Note that due to close quarters I ditched the bow and brought my Lobo.

Keep it simple. The new "Zombie Misericordia".

End Transmission

BSR
http://www.zazzle.com/bluesilkribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; all profits go to a no kill animal shelter

You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement.

My Lobo:

jare-3
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Update from Pike County, NEPA:

Patrol weather has been beautiful. ZRD Elsa has managed to get herself a "hot spot" that looked nasty, and of course it was while ZRD Medic Dr. Clair was out of town. Yesterday, we yelled for Corposman Up! Ok, not really, we just went to the vet since he was back from vacation. 1 shot of antibiotic, 14 days of antibiotic pills, some antiseptic solution, and a ZRD with a bald pot on her left hip and we're back in business. A side note is that Elsa managed to drop 3.5 lbs on her new diet. :clap: No photos of the "hot spot" will be posted as they resemble a Zed bite and I wouldn't want any "over reaction". OK, ok honestly, its just gross to look at.

Patrol weather remains beautiful, roads recently repaved here. Makes patrols easier on my knees since my boots are about shot! What have we found? Area in the post-Labor Day PAW mostly Zombie free. There are a few remaining shamblers (mostly given away by out of state license plates), but they remain quarantinned to their vaction rentals. Prior to the "hot spot", I decided to conduct water borne patrols at Camp Minsi (for the 2nd time this summer) and found that I have an avid swimmer. One thing to note is that if a ZRD has never jumped off of a dock, they need to be taught how. Nothing funnier than watching an 80lb GSD "walk" of the end of a dock thinking that she will simply continue to walk after a step down. No photos of that either, sorry. Planns to undertake one more water borne patrol are underway for late September-early October based on healing. If this does not come to pass, we will also be undertaking winter training also at Camp Minsi this year. Intel to follow....

End Transmission
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit!

No eating/drinking/snorting the Bath Salts! - jonm61 (WaltherForums)

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 am

Mission: Patrol of northern boundary of AO, Appalachian Trail-Fox Gap to Wolf Rocks.

Team: Myself and Riley the Zombie Response Dog

Equipment: EDC, Lobo and Misericordia for me, 12 lb ruck for Riley ZRD.

Weather: Freakin' Gorgeous

After Action Report:
Near perfect weather in the NEPA sent the Team to our northern border for a 3 mile patrol that morphed into a 5 miler. A trip down original AT (before a reroute for environmental reasons) took us to the OTHER SIDE of Wolf Rocks so we had to navigate over this amazing obstacle to get back. Special recognition goes to my partner Riley the Zombie Response Dog. I was truly worried he was going to get hurt but he was such a GOOD boy. He knew we were in a tough spot so he listened to every command, let me lift him down from rock to rock, and never lost his cool. Folks my ZRD is all go, no quit.
No contacts were noted, but we did see some sign. Many day hikers seen and much education about disaster prep. Photorecon attached.

Heading out, note Lobo attached to pack via Ice Axe loop (aka the LoboLoop)

Bushwacking on an old section of the trail

As you can see this area is not maintained and this is one of the many "widow makers" seen today. For you Patrol novices a widow maker is a tree that has only partially fallen. With the wind today the forest was alive with the creaking of these things. be very careful passing under these and always check for them before setting camp.

The rock stacking freaks have returned.

Contact left! As you can see by Riley (ZRD's) tail forming a "Z" he is on to something.

This is all he came up with bet we are defiantly getting closer!

View from the top of Wolf Rocks, Elev 1620 feet.

Riley following command to "stay" at a 5 foot drop off.

In honor of my intrepid partner, I humbly submit the new logo for the canine section of the Zombie Patrol, the ZRD's.

End Transmission

BSR

My Lobo:

a_lebeduik
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, The Walking Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Comet

Post by a_lebeduik » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Great action Reports and I would like to see that logo as a bumper sticker for my BOV!
-Annisa
We work in the dark, to serve the light.

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:30 pm

a_lebeduik wrote:Great action Reports and I would like to see that logo as a bumper sticker for my BOV!

Thank you and you have full permission to do so.
Just go here http://www.makestickers.com/tcat/303/cu ... r-stickers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and use the image from the post. It's where I got mine lol. One will cost you $4.65, 2 for $6.75.

My Lobo:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:21 am

I realize I keep postponing replying to this thread because I feel like I have to craft a complete operational debrief every time I do. But I've been meaning to say how much I LOVE BSR's graphic design for the ZRD corps. If that were ever to end up on a limited edition run t-shirts; say, one in either large or extra large, I'd be very interested.

The man with the lobo has the logo!

Yeah, I might be a little drunk......

jare-3
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:02 am

BlueSilkRibbon wrote:
a_lebeduik wrote:Great action Reports and I would like to see that logo as a bumper sticker for my BOV!

Just go here http://www.makestickers.com/tcat/303/cu ... r-stickers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and use the image from the post. It's where I got mine lol. One will cost you $4.65, 2 for $6.75.
I couldn't find one with a GSD...or like yours with the Lab on it. HOW??? MUST HAVE!!!!!

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:21 pm

jare-3 wrote:
BlueSilkRibbon wrote:

I couldn't find one with a GSD...or like yours with the Lab on it. HOW??? MUST HAVE!!!!!
I made it on that site. Lemme see what I can do to make the design public.

BSR

My Lobo:

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:13 am

BTW...

Anyone interested in seeing video of my Lobo and Misericordia in action this is the link:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 33&t=99476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BSR

My Lobo:

jare-3
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:20 pm

BlueSilkRibbon wrote:
jare-3 wrote:
BlueSilkRibbon wrote:

I made it on that site. Lemme see what I can do to make the design public.

BSR
Cool, thanks Blue!

GoneFishin
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead (Or as my preschooler calls it: "Walking The Dad")

Post by GoneFishin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:27 am

Zombie Response Dog Schmaltzie (hey, we didn't name him) recently investigated a troubling development. Apparently in Massachusetts, the zeds have managed to form their own Political Action Committee, complete with lobbying at the MA state house. In a late night session, local legislators added zombies to the "protected class" of citizens. Photos from his recent scouting at the Middlesex Fells Reservation Sheepfold area:

ZRD Schmaltzie, on patrol:

We observed a ZS citizen rescue drill in progress:

The citizen was rescued successfully by her Daddy:

And last but not least, confirmation of that ugly rumor about special perks for the Undead, thanks to local ordinance:

So get out and VOTE. Your lives may depend on it!!

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:51 pm

GoneFishin wrote:Zombie Response Dog Schmaltzie (hey, we didn't name him) recently investigated a troubling development. Apparently in Massachusetts, the zeds have managed to form their own Political Action Committee, complete with lobbying at the MA state house. In a late night session, local legislators added zombies to the "protected class" of citizens. Photos from his recent scouting at the Middlesex Fells Reservation Sheepfold area:

So get out and VOTE. Your lives may depend on it!!
Outstanding patrol and report and fine looking ZRD. Great looking photorecon and very well crafted. Thank you for the much needed belly laugh as well!

On an official note 2 things:

1) Welcome to ZS and to the Zombie Patrol thread. We look forward to tracking Zed activity in Massachusetts .

2) Schmaltzie...really?

End Transmission

BSR

My Lobo:

rrc
Favorite Zombie Movies: Pretty much all of them...

Post by rrc » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:25 pm

This is by far one of the best posts I've read on this website. I have been a member now for almost a year and cannot believe I've never stumbled upon this. That being said, I'm only on page 3 and will continue catching up. Meanwhile, I will start my own recon missions down here in SEPA. Unfortunately I do not have a mighty companion to recon with, so I'll be flying at this solo. Keep up the great work. :clap:
People ask me "How can you be so in to this 'prepping' thing?" My only response is "When SHTF, maybe you'll understand why..."

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:31 pm

rrc wrote:This is by far one of the best posts I've read on this website. I have been a member now for almost a year and cannot believe I've never stumbled upon this. That being said, I'm only on page 3 and will continue catching up. Meanwhile, I will start my own recon missions down here in SEPA. Unfortunately I do not have a mighty companion to recon with, so I'll be flying at this solo. Keep up the great work. :clap:
Back when I was a young buck private in the Zombie Corps, I was stationed in the Media/Swarthmore area. Did regular patrols in a place called Ridley Creek State Park. We were always tamping down outbreaks there.

Deenie7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

Post by Deenie7 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 pm

I love the ZRD logo! I can't really have a dog where I live now - plus we're house-rabbit owners - but I adore the patrol updates. Thanks for keeping us updated on your anti-Zed efforts!

meganriot

Post by meganriot » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Mission: Search the Rocky Mountains for evidence of Zeds.
I realize the mission might seem a little overwhelming, but no job is too big for ZRD Louie.

ZRD Louie climbing a 14'er

Team: ZRD Louie (Maltese mix 12 pounds), myself & sgtpoliteness

Weather: 100 degrees F in Denver, CO, Sunny & Hot, 55 degrees F at the Summit of Mt. Evans, Sunny, Cool & Windy. Elevation 14,264 feet.

No rock was left unturned, or unmarked for that matter.
Alpine Garden

The lake was tested and it was determined too cold for Zeds or ZRD's alike.
Summit Lake

No life or undead to report, except for the Big Horn Sheep.
Nothing but Mountain Goats... I mean Big Horn Sheep
“She remembered the lead ammunition in her pocket and offered it to him. "Your balls, Mr. Darcy?" He reached out and closed her hand around them, and offered, "They belong to you, Miss Bennet.”
― Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:16 pm

To: rrc and Deenie7 and to whom it may concern.

Re: dontworryaboutit

The ZRD's are a small albeit important part of the Zombie Patrol. Just get out there in your AO, excersise, keep the undead at bay and show us your interesting area. Glad to have you all aboard!

End Transmission

BSR

My Lobo:

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:29 pm

meganriot wrote:Mission: Search the Rocky Mountains for evidence of Zeds.
I realize the mission might seem a little overwhelming, but no job is too big for ZRD Louie.
What a fine, alert ZRD, Louie looks all business! A while ago (pg7) I posted a pic of a lovable 188lb Bull Mastiff that didn't make the cut and now we have Louie the Maltese taking care of business! The old adage it's not the size of the dog in a fight but the size of the fight in the dog rings true again. Bravo Louie and welcome to the ZRD's.

meganriot those are some great pics and a lovely AO you got there, Welcome to the Patrol!

End Transmission

BSR
Last edited by BlueSilkRibbon on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Lobo:

jare-3
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:52 am

Condition: Critical
Importance: High
To all ZRD handlers in the NEPA area, Canine Influenza threat should be taken seriously and all precautions made to avoid exposure. ZRD Elsa will be responding to Battalion Sick Call sometime around 1200 hours EDT for what appears to be a moderate case. Be advised, this is highly contagious and may be passed to you ZRD without the host animal present. Symptoms are quite similar to human Influenza. As with human influenza, failure to recognise and treat the virus may result in pneumonia and death.

End transmission.

BlueSilkRibbon

Post by BlueSilkRibbon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:33 pm

jare-3 wrote:Condition: Critical
Importance: High
To all ZRD handlers in the NEPA area, Canine Influenza threat should be taken seriously and all precautions made to avoid exposure. ZRD Elsa will be responding to Battalion Sick Call sometime around 1200 hours EDT for what appears to be a moderate case. Be advised, this is highly contagious and may be passed to you ZRD without the host animal present. Symptoms are quite similar to human Influenza. As with human influenza, failure to recognise and treat the virus may result in pneumonia and death.

End transmission.
Thanks for the heads up brother. I hope Elsa gets well soon.

End Transmission

BSR

My Lobo:

jare-3
Diary of the Dead
All Resident Evils

Post by jare-3 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:02 pm

As of today, vet says only a mild case. Very good news. So after a shit load of antibiotics and a $200 vet bill, we should be good to go. Just in time to get the damn cyst removed.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”