Where is your gas gauge needle pointing right now?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Re: Where is your gas gage needle pointing right now?

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:44 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:Plus two 1 gallon emergency cans of treated gas in the well of my toolbox in the bed.
Just about everytime I go to put some fresh in mine, they've already evaporated bone dry. :oops:
That sucks.

Maybe the seal on your cans are bad. Maybe time for some new cans.

Using Sta-bil in my emergency gas cans I've used gasoline that I stuck in there after 14-15 months just so long as I'm filling up my entire tank with fresh gas along with it. No problems in anyway, shape or form. Never had it evaporate on me either.

From what I understand Sta-bil is only supposed to treat it for up to 12 months, but I've used gas that's been treated a little bit longer ago than that.
Last edited by Browning 35 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:48 pm

There is a gas light? I try real hard not to let it get below 3/4. It seems cheaper that way. Right now just a tad below F
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

2005RedTJ

Post by 2005RedTJ » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:29 pm

In the company van - 1/2 a tank or so, I don't pay for it so it doesn't concern me much.
Fiance's SUV (our normal vehicle) - 1/2 tank or so.
My Heep (SHTF/offroading rig) - about 7/8 tank.

The Heep is usually pretty much full since A) it doesn't get driven every day and B) it will go anywhere even when nothing else can, so it's the worst-case scenario vehicle. I need to keep some extra gas on hand, but haven't started doing so yet.

Ryder358

Post by Ryder358 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Nickthezombiehunter wrote:Gauge.....
Technically both gage and gauge are correct/interchangeable though I also prefer g-a-u-g-e. My car is about 3/4 full but I've been guilty lately of letting it get low enough to turn the gas light on. I drive about 1,000 miles a week for my job so I'm filling up every 2 or 3 days.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm

I refuel at 1/2 tank about 95% of the time.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 am

Full, minus 1 mile home, since I was out tonite grocery shopping, the usual time to refill. It was at 1/2 before that. I have let it get much lower in chaotic weeks, since we live in town, and have about 30 miles to fix the problem once the little light comes on...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 am

Never below 1/2. I ran out of gas once as a know-it-all teenager, and never forgot after that. Right now, more than 3/4 in the car, and about same for the ZombieWagon RV.

Always have Sta-bil in the RV tank since it tends to sit even if we're in it. I rotate the extra 5 gallon gas can at home into the tank every three or four weeks so I won't need Sta-bil there, especially since I put it in the car occasionally.

I'll modify the question, too. Beyond gasoline or diesel fuel, how much propane do you have available, if any?

I've got the main RV tank (40lb, if I recall correctly) which needs to be refilled plus externals (20lb and a 40lb) that are also both nearly empty. Since it's secondary, I wasn't too worried, but as soon as that paycheck arrives, fill 'er up!

Anyone here have significant fuel kept at home in a tank (under or above ground)?

ZAG
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:04 am

Browning 35 wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:Plus two 1 gallon emergency cans of treated gas in the well of my toolbox in the bed.
Just about everytime I go to put some fresh in mine, they've already evaporated bone dry. :oops:
That sucks.

Maybe the seal on your cans are bad. Maybe time for some new cans.
Actually, mine's a fairly decent 2 gallon tank. It just gets so damn hot around here that it swells up until there's enough pressure to push the vapor past the seal and cap threads.....Which is probably a good thing.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Benny
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Benny » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 am

Mine's at about 1/8th. Yes, I know better.

I try to keep it above a half, but with the commute I have, it's hard for me to break the momentum and stop along the way. I just want to *get it done*.

I gotta get better at that.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"
Chapter electrician & mad scientist

JesterODX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gotta be Dawn of the Dead or Shawn of the Dead. But I will opt for anything Romero.

Post by JesterODX » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:02 am

"Where is your gas gage needle pointing right now?"

Depends what angle I am on. A slight down angle and it is just bellow the E. A flat surface and just above the E. Reguardless, it was beeping at me this morning. Time to go loose another $50 to $60 on the way home.

How many of you remember when it was $1 a gallon? THat is where it was when I started driving in 92. It went to $1.25 pretty quick thou.
JesterODX
"The Great and Powerful"

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:08 am

I remember as a kid in the late 60's seeing gas signs showing about 30 cents a gallon .

I think I was paying around 80-90 cents ? in the late 70's as a teen driver . It never fluctuated 30-50 cents like these days .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

jeepgunman

Post by jeepgunman » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 am

Never below half (unless wife is driving, she has other things to worry about, sales, shoes, blah,blah).
Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

John Adams

colinz

Post by colinz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:42 am

JesterODX wrote: How many of you remember when it was $1 a gallon? THat is where it was when I started driving in 92. It went to $1.25 pretty quick thou.
I started driving in the mid 90's, and gas was around $1 per litre here. Quityabitching. :P

My daily's gauge is just under full (done 100km since filling, so about 40-odd litres left), and the toy car has half a tank.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Cars and motorcycle full, the truck has one full tank but the other has water in it.
Have to get that out first.
How do you do that?
Sounds like there is a lot of it.
Take it to the nice man, I reckon.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:17 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Cars and motorcycle full, the truck has one full tank but the other has water in it.
How do you do that?
If there is a lot of water try siphoning as much fluid as you can get out of the tank. The water will be at the bottom of the tank. However, it is unlikely to get all of the fluid out. But with the tank as empty as possible you can remove the tank and drain the remaining fluid out of it. Then bolt it back in place.

If there is just a bit of water in the tank then you can use an emulsifer to make the moisture bind with the gasoline and simply burn the fuel as the engine runs.

nes999

Post by nes999 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:53 pm

I get antsy if my gas gauge is near half. That being said it is at 1/2 right now.

Drethos
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, zombie land

Post by Drethos » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:56 pm

all three vehicles are sitting on full or a hair below full. i have about 10gal of stored gas out of 60 (gas prices are keeping me from buying more). my boat has 15gal of stored gas and both atv's have about 2.5gal each all full. i wanna fill the tank on my travel trailer (60gal) and get the other 60 full soon but with gas prices on the rise shoe leather and pedal express are looking better even in a paw. Plus i live in the woods so bug in is my choice atm.

mariposa

Post by mariposa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:24 pm

Slightly below full.

echo2

Post by echo2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:47 pm

5/8 tank.....

echo2

Post by echo2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:52 pm

But you have to realize I have these....

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Truck - Full
Tahoe - 3/4
Camry - Just below 1/2

1/2 is usually our empty (Seems cheaper to fill up) :lol: .................................. but, I have .45 off 20 gallons on my Bi-Lo fuel perks (I like to get every last drop of the 20 gallons) all our gas cans are full, with stablizer added.
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Cars and motorcycle full, the truck has one full tank but the other has water in it.
How do you do that?
Have you tried adding a bottle of HEET water remover to the tank?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Squidi

Post by Squidi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:10 pm

How do you do that?
Redneck way? You poke a hole in the bottom of the tank with an icepick, after all of the fluid drains out, you put a screw in the hole through a piece of rubber fuel hose. Sometimes it doesn't leak. Alternately you can pull your fuel filter off and use the cars fuel pump to pump it out, but that leaves a little at the bottom still ( and depending on how you hot wire your fuel pump and how long you run it.. could burn up your fuel pump ). So you mix in a bunch of fuel treatment ( it's mostly alcohol ) to help with the remaining water.

The mechanic will either use a pump rated for gas to pull it out or drop the tank out of the vehicle and turn it upside down. Dropping the tank is a bear in your driveway, and it's pretty quick with a lift and air tools ( depending on vehicle..etc.. ).

Darwin award way is to use a wet/dry shop vac and a hose. It doesn't always explode, just most of the time.

Velociryan

Post by Velociryan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 pm

I picked up a 2012 Civic last summer and it averaged 35-37 mpg. I can drive almost 2 weeks on a tank if I don't do to much extra driving. I still top the tank off every week on payday so I'm never below a half tank.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”