Where is your gas gauge needle pointing right now?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Scout308

Where is your gas gauge needle pointing right now?

Post by Scout308 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:13 pm

I filled up the other day - $91 - both jerry cans and the 20gal tank in the jeep. I was below a 1/4 which I really try to avoid but I got lazy - with both jerry cans empty I still had enough to get home, then back to the BOL assuming light traffic (bad assumption in an emergency).

So where is your needle pointing right now? No cheating!
Last edited by Scout308 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I CAN do it. Doesn't mean I should, or will.
I think Life has treated me better than I've treated it, and I regret that. Can't change the past but I can affect the future. (--me)

LtCmdLeia
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Where is your gas gage needle pointing right now?

Post by LtCmdLeia » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 pm

A smidge below full. I'm obsessive about keeping it full because we live so far from town. Another board I'm on has been posting gas prices in their areas, and I'm fortunate to say our prices are really low compared to those posted. (ours was $3.01 when I was in town the other day) I've been trying to fill a gas can for storage almost every time I head to town lately (when I can afford it) because of the news about the gas prices going up.
"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" ... Senator Padmé Amidala, Star Wars, Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith

ImageImageImage

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Three quarters. Just filled Friday. I usually get a week to ten days out of a fillup.

With the direction gas prices are going, I specifically looked for something that got good mileage. The best BOV in the world becomes a fixed location shelter when it runs out of gas.

Azraeleternity
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (haven't seen many)

Post by Azraeleternity » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Probably just over 1/3rd. I was lazy yesterday when I was leaving from work and driving home. Didn't feel like stopping. When I drive to pick up my wife, a fill-up is on the to-do list. We have no storage for spare cans so I can't fill up any extra.
ZSC:015 North-California/Bay Area
Jeriah wrote:"I'm fucking perfect. I'm a god among men. I'm like Charlie Sheen's penis if it could hold a gun."
Y.T. wrote:my first year at Burning Man I brought Twinkies.
those things were like fucking gold.
I could've bartered for a frickin car with Twinkies.

Nickthezombiehunter

Post by Nickthezombiehunter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Gauge.....

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:46 pm

The little display where my car tells me how far i can go on my tank if fuel was all dashes! Too busy vhasing problems at work and did not have time to fill upy

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Almost full, I have 33 miles on this tank. Unless I'm going on a trip, I rarely let it get past half-a-tank. And when I stop to fill-up, I pack it to the brim.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:56 pm

cv66er wrote: The best BOV in the world becomes a fixed location shelter when it runs out of gas.
One of my neighbors is fond of saying: "I can live in my car, but I can't drive my house." :wink:
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 pm

Towards poverty.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:01 pm

RickOShea wrote:
cv66er wrote: The best BOV in the world becomes a fixed location shelter when it runs out of gas.
One of my neighbors is fond of saying: "I can live in my car, but I can't drive my house." :wink:
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Where is your gas gage needle pointing right now?

Post by wee drop o' bush » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Both the 4WD & the car are around the 3/4 full mark. As much as possible we try to keep them above 1/2 full.
My husband is convinced that fuel evaporates more quickly once the needle drops below 1/2 full?
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:32 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote: My husband is convinced that fuel evaporates more quickly once the needle drops below 1/2 full?
I believe that the auto-makers calibrate that needle so that by the time it shows half full, it's actually used 2/3 the tank. I guess because no one likes to see the needle drop quickly after just filling up.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Where is your gas gage needle pointing right now?

Post by wee drop o' bush » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 pm

That is a more likely explanation Rick :)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:50 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:That is a more likely explanation Rick :)
I originally heard that from a good friend of mine who was a used-car salesman.

He was a very good used-car salesman, which leads me to believe that he knew what he was talking about.

BUT, the very fact that he was a used-car salesman means that any words that passed his lips are highly suspect. :lol:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:53 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:Both the 4WD & the car are around the 3/4 full mark. As much as possible we try to keep them above 1/2 full.
My husband is convinced that fuel evaporates more quickly once the needle drops below 1/2 full?
Something tells me your husband has lots of entertaining stories. :P

Mine is between 2/3rds and 3/4s full at the moment, but I'll be honest, I've spent a lot to time recently driving at 1/4 a tank or below, sometimes with the needle hovering around "E". A full tank will last me about 10 days of normal commuting/weekend errands. Funny thing is I don't get paid every 10 days. So depending on where I am in the month, I sometimes let that gauge head a lot further south than I'd like.

I've often thought a good starting level of preparation would be to try to keep your tank above 3/4s at all times, never let it get below half full, and keep at least a half a tank's worth of fuel stored at home, to at least top it off in the event of something really bad happening.

I know a single tank of gas isn't going to make a ton of difference in the long run, but at least it's something to base your planning on, knowing that even if some major event catches you totally flat-footed, you'd have that as a bare minimum.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:55 pm

1/2, which actually means more like 3/5. I have a 22gal tank and a 5gal jerrycan.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Last summer you guys "reminded" me not to go past half a tank so that's what I've been doing since then.

Right now, I'm at 5/8 tank in my Cherokee and my Silverado is full.

hatchtrikk
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead, land of the dead, diary of the dead and many more...

Post by hatchtrikk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:10 pm

FML.

Gas light has been on for 3 days :lol:
My Draco SBR: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=79016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Belt fed always wins. -GD4

I am serious...and stop calling me Shirley. -Agent Smith

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:25 pm

About 7/8's of a tank (for once...usually I'm at around half).

Plus two 1 gallon emergency cans of treated gas in the well of my toolbox in the bed.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

kmcdon3960

Post by kmcdon3960 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:28 pm

My car's gas light is on.

My truck (company) is topped off with that sweet, sweet company fuel.

RacinRob

Post by RacinRob » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 pm

7/8 SInce I have been driving my dad always told me to keep 1/2 tank plus in the winter. That just turned in to habit year round.

Sheriff McClelland

Post by Sheriff McClelland » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Just above 1/2 . I'll fill up tomorrow or Thursday .

I don't like to go below 1/2 if possible . For years I would let the tank go to E . Found out from the mechanic it's hard on the fuel pump . Also less likelyhood of condensation accumulation with higher gas level .
"Yeah, they're dead. They're all messed up. "

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Browning 35 wrote:Plus two 1 gallon emergency cans of treated gas in the well of my toolbox in the bed.
Just about everytime I go to put some fresh in mine, they've already evaporated bone dry. :oops:

zombie_kibble
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland, evil dead, well...all of them

Post by zombie_kibble » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:29 pm

one is at 3/4 and the other is at half tank. when i have to fill both from empty it costs me over a days work... :(
ZSC:035 Financial Officer

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”