Could you stomach these Great Depression Meals?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Could you stomach these Great Depression Meals?

Post by Czechnology » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 pm

I render lard and schmaltz when I've got enough fat left over from cleaning meat. Nothing beats an egg fried in schmaltz, on top of Leberkäse w/ mustard.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:05 pm

At least a third of it sounds like regular stuff i eat anyway...

In fact, i did have a potato soup made with water today (and some wild garlic and spices in it to add flavour).

And i love lard. The only thing i love more, is lard half mixed with shredded pork. Fuck bacon, i´ll take lard over it any day. (MUST be homemade lard though! I have no idea how store bought lard may taste.)

You gotta be carefull with it though, or you´ll soon be a....

:lol:

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:32 pm

fourway wrote:
wagdhead wrote:my grandparents always kept a can on their stove tops that they would pour used grease in, and they would reuse it for cooking. They would throw a dollop in a pan and get it warm and then spread it on bread.

A practice so common that canisters were sold specifically for thew purpose:
:lol: If my grandparents ever saw me use something like that my grandfather would whip my ass with a switch until it broke and my grandmother would be handing him reloads. Chockfull-o-nuts was their prefered can brand.

I could here him now: "boy if you are too stupid that you need to know what a can of grease looks like, you need to be kilt."

Btw I have the exact same one you show, I just hide it when they come around.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 am

Hungarian fatback. Szolonna.

My grandmother would take a cooky sheet slab of this stuff 2 inches think of pure fat with the skin still on it to hold it together.
Sprinkle paprika, garlic, and coarse black pepper. My cousins and I would steal chunks of this stuff all day long out of the fridge and take it into the basement with a loaf of fresh bread. Heated up over the wood burner till it dripped the fat onto the bread. Heck half the time we just stuck it on the bread and ate it that way.

There is NOTHING on that list i would pass up.

I have eaten sushi so fresh the squid and octopus was moving as I ate it. I've eaten sea cucumber and sea urchin.

Though I am sorry but i will NOT eat lutafisk. Any food that needs lye to be made edible is not really for me. Though I do like Hominy.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:00 am

I found a 70 year old book on wild foods of North America.

Everything from finding to preparing such fair as acorns and chick weed to dandelions and cattails. It gave recipes for them all along with all the parts that were edible at each time of the year.

They had some crazy foods in there also. Like battered and deep fried flowers or fiddle head salad.

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:05 am

I've actually eaten a lot of the meals in the list.
Take what you're being given, make your stand
because the life that you're living
may soon come to an end.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:45 am

MacAttack wrote: deep fried flowers
Fried Squash blossoms are delicious.

I like to grow and eat Nasturtiums. They taste like Wasabi (particularly the roots, stems, and flowers) and are pretty vitamin rich (C and Iron), as well as being antiseptic enough to make into a poultice. I've read it works about as well as OTC topical antibiotics (neosporin etc), though the potency is at its peak just before flowering. I generally either throw them in salad, or mince them and garnish meat as a pepper substitute. They're super colorful, and my wife loves the variety they give the garden. They're also excellent companion plants for keeping away Aphids, Squash Beetles, and a couple other bugs from tomatos, gourds, radishes, and melons. Add all that to the fact that they grow like weeds, and it's hard not to like them.

Fun fact: Supposedly the flowers of nasturtiums are so color-rich and dense, that they disrupt macrophotography. Apparently the camera can't deal with such monochrome saturation or something. I should try it and see what happens.

Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:46 am

MacAttack wrote:There is NOTHING on that list i would pass up.

I have eaten sushi so fresh the squid and octopus was moving as I ate it. I've eaten sea cucumber and sea urchin.

Though I am sorry but i will NOT eat lutafisk. Any food that needs lye to be made edible is not really for me. Though I do like Hominy.
When I look at that list (and at low-budget menu planning) I find 2 challenges. One is a balanced diet, altho the list does actually include veggies (tomato, cucmber, dandelion) and adding things like fiddle heads and flower blossoms helps. The other is putting meals on the table that look like what I and my family expect a meal to look like (plate full of cassarole, or main dish with sides). If all I set out for lunch was a bacon grease sandwich, even tho thats actually kinda yummy, it would seem...insufficient. We never just have a sandwich, there's a side of some kind and a drink. Food's not just about calories and nutrients. I ran across an old thread (http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 31&t=69163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and it's a useful challenge for me to meal plan 2 weeks like that, starting with nothing in my pantry.

And, off topic, when the folks from the old country would come to visit in Minnesota, they were suprised that anyone still ate lutefisk. Apparently they only ate it because the alternative was starvation... :lol:
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:55 am

Czechnology wrote:I render lard and schmaltz when I've got enough fat left over from cleaning meat. Nothing beats an egg fried in schmaltz, on top of Leberkäse w/ mustard.
Nom.....But I like to mix some mayonnaise in with my mustard.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:14 am

duodecima wrote:
MacAttack wrote:There is NOTHING on that list i would pass up.

And, off topic, when the folks from the old country would come to visit in Minnesota, they were suprised that anyone still ate lutefisk. Apparently they only ate it because the alternative was starvation... :lol:
I've never eaten lutefisk...I doubt you can even buy it in Northern Ireland. My friend has married an Icelander and for a joke they had some Hákarl at their wedding :lol: I've never tried it either as it's meant to be almost inedible.
Back on topic Corned beef (I assume it's similar to chipped beef?) makes a tasty stew with carrots, onions & potatoes :)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:16 am

wee drop o' bush wrote: Back on topic Corned beef (I assume it's similar to chipped beef?) makes a tasty stew with carrots, onions & potatoes :)

It's widely believed in America that the Irish subsist almost entirely on Corned Beef Brisket, cabbage, and potatoes. I prefer Boxties, myself, though I've been lead to believe they're a tourist thing.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:22 am

Czechnology wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote: Back on topic Corned beef (I assume it's similar to chipped beef?) makes a tasty stew with carrots, onions & potatoes :)

It's widely believed in America that the Irish subsist almost entirely on Corned Beef Brisket, cabbage, and potatoes. I prefer Boxties, myself, though I've been lead to believe they're a tourist thing.
:lol: when I was a child probably but food here has gotten much more varied in the last 20 something years.
The Boxtie is a confusing beast...its called fadge or potato bread locally and is fried in bacon fat as part of an Ulster Fry. I've never heard them referred to as boxties by a native Norn Ironer :)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:28 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:
Czechnology wrote:

:lol: when I was a child probably but food here has gotten much more varied in the last 20 something years.
The Boxtie is a confusing beast...its called fadge or potato bread locally and is fried in bacon fat as part of an Ulster Fry. I've never heard them referred to as boxties by a native Norn Ironer :)
When I've had them, they've basically been braised beef pierogies. Delicious, but of dubious pedigree.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Some of the old-timers around here bake possum for dinner.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:45 pm

DarkAxel wrote:Some of the old-timers around here bake possum for dinner.
Yeah, there was an Old-Timer that my Uncle used to give the possums he caught in his traps to.

Ole Man Richardson would gut 'em and cut off the head and feet, then drop them into his always-bubbling cauldron. He'd deep-fry them, fur and all, with the tails clipped to the edge of that big black cast-iron pot in his back yard.

Tasted like greasy pork chops with a bit of a crust. :D
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:29 pm

GMScooter wrote:
ruralranger wrote:
GMScooter wrote:
EChryst wrote:That's what I was thinking.. .most of these aren't so bad, some of these I actively seek out as meals, and... well... Chipped Beef on Toast is my FAVORITE meal.
Ditto, sir. I grew up eating chipped beef on toast....although we used the army name for it.
yea,it was known as ''sos'' lol
My mother hated us calling it that. LOL
Back when I was in, SOS was another recipe called minced beef, made with ground beef and canned tomatoes. Creamed chipped beef was originally called foreskins on toast. Love 'em both!

Glad to see someone mentioned pokeweed and dandelion up above, but I didn't see groundhog. Just remember, pokeweed is poisonous if picked too late. Another favorite of mine is potatoes and green beans in bacon grease. As others have mentioned, I eat this way all the time.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Czechnology wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:
Czechnology wrote:

When I've had them, they've basically been braised beef pierogies. Delicious, but of dubious pedigree.
I had to google pierogies :lol:

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote: I had to google pierogies :lol:
Oh you poor dear. They're glorious.

Akissy

Post by Akissy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Cucumber and mustard sandwiches
Mayonnaise sandwiches
Ketchup sandwiches
Turtle/tortoise
Gopher
Potato soup – water base, not milk
Dandelion salad
Lard sandwiches
Bacon grease sandwiches
Sugar sandwiches
Hot dogs and baked beans
One eyed Sam – piece of bread with an easy over egg in the center
Fried potatoes and hot dogs
Onion sandwich – slices of onion between bread
Tomato gravy and biscuits
Deep fried chicken skin
Cornbread in milk
Gravy and bread – as a main dish
Toast with mashed potatoes on top with gravy
Creamed corn on toast
Corn mush with milk for breakfast, fried corn mush for dinner
Squirrel
Rice in milk with some sugar
Beans
Fried potato peel sandwiches
Banana slices with powdered sugar and milk
Boiled cabbage
Hamburger mixed with oatmeal
American cheese sandwich, ‘American’ cheese was invented because it was cheap to make, and didn’t require refrigeration that may or may not exist back then.
Tomato gravy on rice
Toast with milk gravy
Water fried pancakes
Fried bologna
Warm canned tomatoes with bread
Butter and sugar sandwiches
Fried potato and bread cubes
Bean soup
Runny eggs with grits
Butter and grits with sugar and milk
Baked apples
Sliced boiled pork liver on buttered toast (slice liver with potato peeler)
Corn meal mush
Spaghetti with tomato juice and navy beans
Whatever fish or game you could catch/hunt
Tomato sandwiches
Hard boiled eggs in white sauce over rice
Spam and noodles with cream of mushroom soup
Rag soup: spinach, broth and lots of macaroni
Garbanzo beans fried in chicken fat or lard, salted, and eaten cold
Popcorn with milk and sugar – ate it like cereal

There. ^^ That's what I would stomach. ^^

EChryst

Post by EChryst » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:44 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote: I had to google pierogies :lol:

Poor, poor girl. Pierogies actually come fro God, whichever one you believe in.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Ok I have a Polish friend, I'm going to ask her to make some for me :D
I cannot not wait to try them.
Last edited by wee drop o' bush on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:13 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:Ok I have a Polish friend, I'm going to ask her to make some for me :D
I cannot not try them.
Excellent, and yes it's a requirement.

EChryst

Post by EChryst » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:Ok I have a Polish friend, I'm going to ask her to make some for me :D
I cannot not try them.
Potato or Potato and Cheese. NOT applesauce. NOT sauerkraut. NOT mushroom.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:23 pm

EChryst wrote:
I cannot not try them.
Potato or Potato and Cheese. NOT applesauce. NOT sauerkraut. NOT mushroom.
ok I'll remember that :)

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”