How serious are you about Prepping?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

oklahomaprepper

How serious are you about Prepping?

Post by oklahomaprepper » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Its a question that I have asked myself several times over the years and will continue to do so. There have been those times when I wavered in the lifestyle, when I wished I could not know all that I do and not give a damn about the world situation but those quickly passed (thankfully). I've been in this lifestyle for nearly twenty years now and have learned many lessons, not all of them pleasant. The last eight years or so I have really picked it up in regards to prepping and doing more. I am currently better networked than at any point since beginning to live a more prepared lifestyle. I don't know it all and never will and so continue to learn.

For me this is more than a fad, a weekend kick or something that will pass. I'm a prepper and proud of it.

So here's a few questions and for the record yes I have asked and answered all of these for myself as well.

1. Have you taken an objective look at your own skills and experience?
2. Are your disaster (insert type of disaster here) plans realistic?
3. Are you networked with those who are serious about prepping?
4. How often do you train and practice with your equipment?
5. How serious are you about being prepared?

Rob Salem
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Re: How serious are you about Prepping?

Post by Rob Salem » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:25 pm

As a new guy to prepping I can say that I'm serious enough about it to think about it quite a bit, always looking for things I need to pick up for my preps, and regularly re-evaluating my current preps (at this point, EDC, GHB, BOB/INCH-lite). I've also started putting thought into bug-in preps. Honestly, I've had to kinda rein myself in and not go overboard with getting everything I think I need RIGHT NOW. As I've said in a few other posts, I came into this from being a gear-nut hunter, so bug-out gear was pretty readily on hand, and finding ZS has helped me beef it up while making it more efficient, both for hunting and prepping. But the fact that I use my gear for hunting has helped me keep myself in check from becoming an overzealous prepper - hunting reminds me that I'm still living, right here, right now, in the world as I know it. I have an eye and a mind towards possibilities for potential disasters, whether of the realistic kind for my AO (flooding, blizzards, tornados, earthquakes) or the alien invasion/zombie hordes/WW3/2012 kind. But I have made a conscious decision to not forget to live in the here and now - I'm far more likely to die in a car crash or have a heart attack than I am to have to attempt to survive in a PAW. So in the nature of 'Be Prepared' I work with thoughts of tomorrow's possibilities, while enjoying what I have today.
In conflict, we do not rise to the level our expectations, we fall to the level of our training. - Archilocus, 650 BC

williaty

Post by williaty » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:17 am

Yep, that came right after working out what might happen and what we might need if it does. Step 3 was "Now, how much of that can we already do?"

I think so. Reading other sane people's plans seem very similar to our own.

Other than ZS, not really. I'm finding it basically impossible to find preppers other than ZS who are willing to keep their politics and religious nutjobbery out of their discussions of prepping and/or prepper gatherings. That's something, useful network contact or not, that I'm just not willing to put up with. ZS is a refreshing change in this respect, as was the one ZSer I've met so far.

Pretty frequently at the moment because we're still deeply in the "learn it for the first time" stage.

Fairly but not outrageously so. It's something we give a good bit of thought to, it's something we've extended significant planning effort on, and it's something that's been worked into the budget. On the other hand, it's not something that we're letting take over our lives. For instance, as our large "fun" expenditure for the year, my wife is getting a fishtank. We could get a lot of prepping done with that money but there's no point in being prepared if you're going to be miserable even before the disaster comes. On the other hand, we're cutting out a lot of our eating out in order to be able to afford training and supplies. It's a compromise.

HanShot1st
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days Later, and Resident Evil. Is it shameful that I've never seen Night of the Living Dead?

Post by HanShot1st » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:52 am

Rob Salem wrote:As a new guy to prepping I can say that I'm serious enough about it to think about it quite a bit, always looking for things I need to pick up for my preps, and regularly re-evaluating my current preps (at this point, EDC, GHB, BOB/INCH-lite). I've also started putting thought into bug-in preps. Honestly, I've had to kinda rein myself in and not go overboard with getting everything I think I need RIGHT NOW. As I've said in a few other posts, I came into this from being a gear-nut hunter, so bug-out gear was pretty readily on hand, and finding ZS has helped me beef it up while making it more efficient, both for hunting and prepping. But the fact that I use my gear for hunting has helped me keep myself in check from becoming an overzealous prepper - hunting reminds me that I'm still living, right here, right now, in the world as I know it. I have an eye and a mind towards possibilities for potential disasters, whether of the realistic kind for my AO (flooding, blizzards, tornados, earthquakes) or the alien invasion/zombie hordes/WW3/2012 kind. But I have made a conscious decision to not forget to live in the here and now - I'm far more likely to die in a car crash or have a heart attack than I am to have to attempt to survive in a PAW. So in the nature of 'Be Prepared' I work with thoughts of tomorrow's possibilities, while enjoying what I have today.
Thank you. I've had to reign myself in too because I think I need to start out with everything, be ready today for every possibility, and I was driving myself crazy. Prepping is a big part of my life now but I have to remember not to neglect today's responsibilities. I can't not pay the power bill because my FAK doesn't have a defibrillator. I'm more prepared today than I was yesterday, and hopefully I'll be better prepared tomorrow than today. That's the best I can say for right now.
Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:03 am

my answer for all those question would be not enough

but my new years resolution is to start preparing more seriously
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

oklahomaprepper

Post by oklahomaprepper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:22 am

I've been in this lifestyle for going on 20 years but about three years ago I got divorced and left 90% or so of our accumulated preps with the ex (she is a prepper too) since that is where our son lives. So I got to get real world experience at starting over, funny thing some of the gear I have now is better than what I had then and I have some gear I didn't have back then at all, go figure.

I own and operate a preparedness consulting firm and the majority of my clients have the "oh there is so much to do" problem and it takes me a bit to get them to understand that it is NOT a quick fix. It takes time and that is counter-intuitive but its the truth, slow and steady really is the smart, sane way of doing it. There are times I get worked up and in the "gotta do it NOW" mindset then I have to yank myself back to a slower pace.

So long as we keep training, adding to our supplies and networking we improve our chances. The thing I tell my clients is this, Prepping increases both the quality and quantities of our options. Stay safe

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:34 am

oklahomaprepper wrote:So here's a few questions and for the record yes I have asked and answered all of these for myself as well.

1) Yep. It's fantastic in some areas and not so great in others.
2) For the most common disasters, yes. If the nuke plant goes, I'm not as realistically prepped for that (but at least I know it...)
3) Not yet at least. There's an upcoming supposed event this month that may help, but as with many of us, finding some place that doesn't come with baggage can be hard. I appreciate ZS, and I'm working on this one.
4) Which equipment? Some of it, daily/weekly. Some of it every 1-2 years (which is enough for some of it, and not enough for other parts).
5) At the moment, very. I haven't been doing this for 20 years yet, ask again in a year and we'll all have a better idea how serious I really am over the long haul.

The advantage of coming to this somewhat later in life is that I have experience with a lot of things that just can't be done over night, and slowly improve and come together over years.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Wolfmanjack

Post by Wolfmanjack » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:50 pm

1. Have you taken an objective look at your own skills and experience? I'm a noob so there is nothing to look at.
2. Are your disaster (insert type of disaster here) plans realistic? Not at all. But it's a last attempt type of thing so I might as well die trying as apposed to just rolling over.
3. Are you networked with those who are serious about prepping? Don't know any peppers.
4. How often do you train and practice with your equipment? Have to get the equipment first. I have opened cans with my leatherman can opener, does that count?
5. How serious are you about being prepared? I think I am beggining and we will see just how serious I become.

Edit - to add that this is all subject to change of course.
Last edited by Wolfmanjack on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:36 pm

oklahomaprepper wrote: 1. Have you taken an objective look at your own skills and experience?
1) Yes. I have taken a fairly critical outside view of my abilities and also of my experiences. I have gotten opinions from friends and professionals in varying fields on how they would rate my level of adequateness. For the skills I am lacking, I work to get them up to par whenever I have the time.
2) I like to say they are, yes.
3) No. ZS is about it for me. And I am so new to this site and it's regular members that I don't have that much available to myself even here. I have one close friend who I keep in close contact and several distant friends who I feel I can fall to nearby in the event of disaster. Need to work on this and find those who aren't entirely crazy or obsessed with 'the man' taking over.
4) Right now as a FF and EMS employee, I gotta say medicine is my top area of expertise and it gets the most honing each and every day at work. Next would definitely have to be my behavior in the outdoors which I can attribute to my history of scouting and my family ties to hunting. Some areas definitely need practice, though I never place a piece of equipment in my BOB/BOV/EDC without being at least moderately proficient with it. When we train at my fire department in a non-live burn scenario, we often do it blindfolded so we can learn to rely 100% on our equipment and memorize every aspect of it. Much like Marines field stripping a rifle blindfolded.
5) I am definitely serious about prepping. I gotta admit it has its limitations at the moment being a college kid and such but I try to make at least one small step each day.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:48 pm

*update*

1. Have you taken an objective look at your own skills and experience? i have some good skill, still need to get my advance first aid course updated though
2. Are your disaster (insert type of disaster here) plans realistic? 50\50 i wish to develop it better
3. Are you networked with those who are serious about prepping? yes and no, yes i know people who know how to survive, but no one around here are as prepared as we try to be on this forum.
4. How often do you train and practice with your equipment? not enough, i'm still trying to get what i need , but i know the kit i own are as good as it could be, and i tried everything i have for that so i know what is good for what
5. How serious are you about being prepared? i'm not prepared enough but the motivation is there. i compensated in preparation what i lack in equipment
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm

I've taken a thorough look at what I can and can't do, as well as how I handle stressful/emergency situations. It's always a balance between investing funds into supplies/items vs training along with testing out everything in a way that comes close to the actual scenario in question.

I don't dream of alien invasions or chopping down looters with a kukri in each hand at Wal-Mart. I'd like to think my plans are pretty realistic.

No. I'm more concerned with steady work and not moving around the country to find permanent employment. Once that calms down, I'd be all for it.

Not enough.

As serious I can be without financially crippling myself.
Take what you're being given, make your stand
because the life that you're living
may soon come to an end.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:41 pm

williaty wrote: For instance, as our large "fun" expenditure for the year, my wife is getting a fishtank. On the other hand, we're cutting out a lot of our eating out in order to be able to afford training and supplies. It's a compromise.

How much training could a new fish possibly need? :lol:
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

williaty

Post by williaty » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 pm

crypto wrote:
williaty wrote: For instance, as our large "fun" expenditure for the year, my wife is getting a fishtank. On the other hand, we're cutting out a lot of our eating out in order to be able to afford training and supplies. It's a compromise.

Heh, while that's an amusing twisting of the statement, when I wrote that, I had NO idea what I was getting into suggesting that she get a tank this big! Good lord, I never realized fish tanks have infrastructure!

azrael99

Post by azrael99 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 pm

heck, i saw people who actually had trout in their fishtank.

that can be useful. they look nice in their tank............and are yummy in your pan.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 pm

williaty wrote:
crypto wrote:

Heh, while that's an amusing twisting of the statement, when I wrote that, I had NO idea what I was getting into suggesting that she get a tank this big! Good lord, I never realized fish tanks have infrastructure!
lol yeah, they do. Brine tanks even more so.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”