When the Wind Blows

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mk_ultra

When the Wind Blows

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:00 am

Interesting old cartoon about nuclear war and prepping . Probably the saddest thing I have seen in a long time .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aHT-Il ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

TacAir

Re: When the Wind Blows

Post by TacAir » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:41 pm

NO cartoon - some kind of Brit movie with trucks and rock music. Rick Rolked?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Squidi

Post by Squidi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:01 pm

TacAir wrote:NO cartoon - some kind of Brit movie with trucks and rock music. Rick Rolked?

The cartoon starts about 2 minutes in, the british pop music ( david bowie? ) stops about 3.5 minutes. Then it's a cartoon about what the other guy said it was about. Like most british tv, I fell asleep immediately.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

When the Wind Blows

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:10 pm

mk_ultra wrote:Interesting old cartoon about nuclear war and prepping . Probably the saddest thing I have seen in a long time .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9aHT-Il ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep I remember watching that as a teenager, it is really sad :(

It lingered with me for a long time.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Drethos
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, zombie land

Post by Drethos » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:38 pm

Sorry im a Dr. Who fan and i saw this....
The Silence seemed to have a hand in this. Good thing the doctor defeated them durring the apollo launch in 1969. sorry anyways, kinda a morbid cartoon but still an interesting thing to watch. One thing i learned was two wooden doors will protect me against the initial blast and the radio active fallout. Who needs a nuclear fallout shelter with a heavy blast door and air filtration system when 2" of wood leaning against a wall will protect me.

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Interesting, but I was hoping the husband would die off about ten minutes into this thing. Yap, yap, yap. :evil:
Take what you're being given, make your stand
because the life that you're living
may soon come to an end.

Drethos
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, zombie land

Post by Drethos » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Hermit wrote:Interesting, but I was hoping the husband would die off about ten minutes into this thing. Yap, yap, yap. :evil:
I was hoping the ruskies woud nuke the house because of how borring the husband was and how naggy the wife was about this and that. I did like the illustration they made of the russian soldier. Atleast they wont make the same paw mistakes again..... EVER!!!!

SiXiam

Post by SiXiam » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:43 am

Drethos wrote:Sorry im a Dr. Who fan and i saw this....
The Silence seemed to have a hand in this. Good thing the doctor defeated them durring the apollo launch in 1969. sorry anyways, kinda a morbid cartoon but still an interesting thing to watch. One thing i learned was two wooden doors will protect me against the initial blast and the radio active fallout. Who needs a nuclear fallout shelter with a heavy blast door and air filtration system when 2" of wood leaning against a wall will protect me.
The Silence will fall when the question is asked.
Doctor Who?
Doctor, Who?

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:00 am

Drethos wrote:Sorry im a Dr. Who fan and i saw this....

Erm, this was made a long time ago, and the info available to the public was akin to the duck and cover stuff taught in the US, I too was surprised that hiding under a blanket would protect you from a nuclear blast.....

The whole point of this movie is the terrible things that can happen, and the confusion over what is happening as seen through the eyes of an average couple.

Think more, post less.
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

SiXiam

Post by SiXiam » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:11 am

Fletch wrote:Think more, post less.
No he should post more. He's a Doctor Who fan! :D

Also Drethos, is that inspired a little from Davros?

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:17 am

Lol, yes, moar Doctor Who!

Forgive me ;)
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:22 pm

I did sit thru the toon. Horribly depressing, And, no doubt, made as an indictment against what passed for the British Civil Defense ministry back in the 80s.

I was fortunate to have read Mr C. Kearny and Clayton's 1980 book Life After Doomsday. Both were widely available well before the featured cartoon was broadcast (1986). Today, both are rather dated for much of the information they offer. Still, they are both worth a read. If, for nothing else, as an antidote to this 'cartoon'.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:44 pm

We have two copies of the graphic novel - also very moving.
Man is a beast of prey

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:45 pm

From a prepper standpoint I took a few things away from watching this .

- Redundancy is great ( they had one plan for water for example)
- Lack of or bad info can get you killed ( no understanding of how fallout works)
- Don't count on anyone coming to your aid

If nothing else it just serves as a good reminder that there are a lot of people in the world that simply don't have what it takes to survive in a bad situation . Motivates me keep up with what I do , training and preps etc.
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”