Keep cash in your vehicle? yes or no?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

blades7558

Post by blades7558 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:18 pm

it has occured to me lately (mainly pointed out by old timers) that i NEVER carry cash. this could be a big detriment if SHTF and atms have lines/ banks close and noone is accepting cards..

Im thinking about putting a couple hundered bucks in a nice hiding spot in my jeep so i will be able to tap into it at any time (even good for tolls).

im not to worried about theft, i live in a very rural area and we are a tight knit neighborhood. I work all over the country and where i do drive to is usually secure.

would you stow cash in your car and how much would you have?

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Re: Keep cash in your vehicle? yes or no?

Post by Smü » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:38 pm

blades7558 wrote: would you stow cash in your car and how much would you have?
I do. Not much (50€), but enough to refuel or get some groceries just in case my wallet is empty or I forgot it at home.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

JustInCase

Post by JustInCase » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:41 pm

In the short term of an event, cash will be king. Soon after it will make good tinder or toilet paper. :lol:
Former member of Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children
Strength and Honor!

http://www.meetup.com/SouthPugetSoundPreppers/

Equuleus

Post by Equuleus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I wouldn't put it anywhere that wasn't secure. Like with a lock. And NOT a glove box. When my car finally dies on me and I get the truck I've been dreaming of for the last three years, I plan on getting one of these:

http://www.hitchsafe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You said you drive a jeep, so I would assume you have a hitch. If not, or it doesn't work with your set up, look into a small lock box you can mount to the floor. Something like a pistol box.

For the amount, it would all depend on your needs. Personally I wouldn't put more than $500 in my car, but I don't drive that far from home. If I made regular trips across the state, I might bump that up to $1000 so I can have enough to buy lots of gas for all the back roads I may need to drive down to get around backed up traffic and for food and hotel if I had to spend some time in a place. It all comes down to risk vs reward.

ScottAW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, dead alive

Post by ScottAW » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 pm

I always have at least a full tank of gas worth of cash and a few bucks for a snack. Usually just in my ashtray.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Why not just keep it on you?
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

shulatt

Post by shulatt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:28 pm

I try to keep at least enough for a full take of gas in the NanoVault I use as a gun safe in the car. Very handy, lockable, secured to the frame with cable, and easy to forget about until I really need it since I tuck it under the padding in the box.

shulatt

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:45 pm

I keep about $40 in my truck in varying amounts. Enough for a tank of gas, get a cab or lunch.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Bluewater

Post by Bluewater » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 pm

A small box taped to the backside of the bumper reinforcement (electrical tape looks the least obvious) with a spare key to the house, vehicle and a $100 bill has saved my ass more than once.
You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:55 pm

I keep $300 in mixed bills in the center console. Another $300 in the truck BOB behind the seat.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

david-robyn

Post by david-robyn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 pm

Hell no. I don’t even leave loose change in plan site, due to what I have seen, working in and out of big cities. The way people are today. That's like going to the wrong side of the rail-road tracks, and yelling on a megaphone that your house is wide open and take everything...LOL..LOL...strangers and most people (at lease people I met in Chicago, New York & Jersey city) are worse then the walking dead.....thats just my 2 cents :evil:

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:37 pm

A very good question. As others have noted, there are times when only cash will do.

Besides the usualy loose change in the ashtray, I keep a roll of quarters and a roll on DOllar coins in the jocky box. Total risk, 26 USD. More than enough for 1/2 a tank of gas - but with gas pushing 4 USD/gal, not for long

I also keep some larger bills in the auto. There are at least 7 locations in my SUV were the bills are both protected and hidden. There may be more, I stopped at 7.

Other items may be worth stowing (hidden) in your auto as well.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:24 pm

I don't keep anything in my vehicle that I can't bear losing. Car thefts and break-ins may be few and far between around here, but they still do happen.

That being said, I usually keep enough for a tow or some gas in the car, maybe about $50 or so, out of sight and mind just in case.

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:28 pm

I have enough hidden in the car to fill the gas tank, buy a meal and make small emergency purchases.
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

bae

Post by bae » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:49 pm

I keep cash in my vehicles, and don't worry about how it's stored. I haven't had anyone break into one of my vehicles in 25+ years now, and if they were to break in, losing some cash would be low on my concern list.

As to how much: "enough" :-)

Shroud

Post by Shroud » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:14 pm

I keep some cash in my (Maxpedition) pocket organizer (along with other EDC items that I don't carry on my person), which I put in my vehicle when I leave my home, and I bring it back in with me when I return.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Besides emergency use, keeping some cash in the console comes in handy. The local scout troops and high school kids are always fundraising by selling Krispy Kremes at the 4-way stop intersections.

Not having to use pre-allocated monies from my wallet to get my donut fix is convenient. :D
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Not having cash has historically caused me more problems than having too much cash. So yes keep some cash in your vehicle. How much is up to you but at least a $20 or $30. In small bills.
Last edited by raptor on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha-17
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later

Post by Alpha-17 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:06 pm

JustInCase wrote:In the short term of an event, cash will be king. Soon after it will make good tinder or toilet paper. :lol:
^--- True that. It's always a good idea to have some cash on you, or at least easily accessible. I plan on putting some in my BOB and more in my Jeep when I get back to the States.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:21 pm

DannusMaximus wrote:Why not just keep it on you?
Because people like me need better security against spending that shit :lol:

I keep a tiny amount, hidden and secure.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:10 am

ninja-elbow wrote:
Ain't that the truth! :oops:

I don't keep any money in my vehicle, just because I don't have any :shock: Seriously, right now I try to keep less than $20 in the gas tank :shock:

Don't be like me :mrgreen:

Back when I had a little more cash to spare, I just kept at least a twenty hidden somewhere within my wallet. Sometimes it was quite hard to forget it was there. A vehicle ashtray can hold a lot of change, and some people may think "it's not that much", but it is amazing how much further down the road even $5 can get you when you are in a bind.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

fourway
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'd have to go with Return.
It's pre-cgi, it's funny, the zombies are fast and they talk. Remember the half a corpse on the embalmer's table explaining why zombies eat brains?

Post by fourway » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:15 am

I'm a big fan of the pre 1965 dime. contains .072 troy ounces of silver, worth about two dollars at today's price, so its a reasonable pocket money denomination if the bills in your pocket should suddenly turn into paper, and everybody knows what they are.

That said, last year when silver was around 17 bucks an ounce my wife threw two silver quarters that I left in the center console of the car (away from the normal change and little wad if bills in the ashtray) into the 50cent bridge toll basket. Six dollar toll. At least the return trip doesn't have a toll.

I've considered stashing a roll of silver dimes somewhere unobtrusive in the car.
Shumway's Law: Bleeding will always stop on its own eventually

Killmoarzombies

Post by Killmoarzombies » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:23 am

I think I have like $40 in the ashtray. Mostly because I forget my wallet a lot when I go to work since I wear scrubs. It's helped when I needed gas and didn't feel like making a seperate trip or when I wanted some fast food.

DannusMaximus
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DannusMaximus » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 am

ninja-elbow wrote:
Now THAT is a legit reason, my friend. :)

My parents used to keep a $20 tucked away in the glovebox for emergencies. My usual routine, including commuting to work, seldom takes me more than 5 - 10 miles away from my house, easy walking distance. If I'm heading out for a longer road trip I always put $100 bucks or so in the wallet (10's and 20's) as a 'just in case', even though I'm mostly a credit/debit card guy when I'm out of town. No secret stash in the car, though. I would likely just forget it was in there.
Holmes: "You have arms, I suppose?
Watson: "Yes, I thought it as well to take them."
Holmes: "Most certainly! Keep your revolver near you night and day, and never relax your precautions..."

- The Hound of the Baskervilles

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”