Food Storage - when to cycle the stores?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Roak

Food Storage - when to cycle the stores?

Post by Roak » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Hello everyone~

I see some great lists and pics of what everyone has stored up. I have a question though. How long do you keep your food stores before you have to cycle them out with fresh supplies? Do you do it once a year, or fives years, etc?

Also, how about water. If I store water in plastic (55 gallon cont. or 10 gallon water jugs) How long will it keep before it should be used?

Thanks!

TacAir

Re: Food Storage - when to cycle the stores?

Post by TacAir » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:40 pm

The simplest is to eat what you store and store what you eat.

Buy in bulk when the item is on sale or in season, eat at your pleasure.

An inventory helps, planning and (planning) menus will also go a long way to help with this.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

johndoe

Post by johndoe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Roak wrote:Hello everyone~

I see some great lists and pics of what everyone has stored up. I have a question though. How long do you keep your food stores before you have to cycle them out with fresh supplies? Do you do it once a year, or fives years, etc?

Also, how about water. If I store water in plastic (55 gallon cont. or 10 gallon water jugs) How long will it keep before it should be used?

Thanks!
It really just depends on what it is. I have a good year's worth of grains, rice, legumes etc in 5 gallon buckets for me and my wife, and they're good for a long, long time so they don't get cycled frequently. My other class of food stores are things I use up regularly and I generally buy large quantities when I find a good deal, so I just rotate them out as I use them. Generally nothing in that category sits in there for longer than a year before being rotated. The final category is stuff I don't eat all that often, if at all, but bought large quantities because I got it pretty darn close to free with coupons and such. For instance, I have probably 50 boxes of cereal right now, and I don't really eat cereal that often, but I got it for like a dime a box so it was worth having it just in case. They expire in about 3 months, and a couple weeks before then I'll donate it all to a homeless shelter. But that's just how I do it, and there are as many ways to do it as there are people I imagine.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 pm

I have an excel spreadsheet for the prep pantry inventory. :roll: It contains, among other things, the earliest expiration date for that item. Every couple months I sort the list by expiration date and check. A month before it's up, I check what's still in the pantry - usually that's been eaten and I enter the new earliest date. If not it gets et or donated that month.

I do stock significant quantaties of food we eat but not that often, so I shop for expiration dates as well as price. (I cook fairly low fat, no way do I go thru what's supposed to be a year's supply of shortening and oil - but I'd need it if I was cooking every meal from storage.) I expect that to eventually get donated - I've always given to the food pantry, and at least this stuff is all staples.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Roak

Post by Roak » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks everyone.

How about water? Kept out of sunlight how long can you keep bottled water?

Atomic Punk

Post by Atomic Punk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Roak wrote:Thanks everyone.

plastic is not the best oxygen barier. eventually it might taste funny. but realistically as long as you dont store it near something with a strong smell (chlorine, laundry detergent, chemicals ) it will probably be fine till you use it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:37 pm

Roak wrote:Thanks everyone.

If you have large storage containers/drums for your water, mix some Aerobic Stabilized Oxygen in with it to keep it tasting fresher and bacteria free longer.

Here's a link to some long-term food storage tests. Some folks around here don't agree with it, but I'll leave it here anyway:

http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”