Where else to find UTM maps?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
klamp
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by klamp » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 pm

The USGS website has a topo overlay for google maps, but I've found there's no scale. I've printed a copy to check and it's neither 1:50k nor 1:25k. Coming from the military, I'm comfortable traversing with grid squares and the UTM system, but I'm having a hard time finding any. So where do you guys get your UTM maps?

akraven
* * *
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by akraven » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:56 pm

I don't use Google maps for actual navigating so maybe this isn't any help but I do use the Nat Geo TOPO program to create my own maps with my GPS logs and it has the UTM function. I wasn't in the miltary but like using UTM since I find it easier than dealing with standard lat long. I beleive the paper USGS maps have the UTM numbers on the side also.

klamp
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by klamp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:52 pm

I think I was looking at that program at one point, but it didn't mention anything about which system it used and what scales. What scales are available with that software? Can you make/print 1:50,000 scale?
Last edited by klamp on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equuleus
* *
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by Equuleus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:59 pm

I use http://store.usgs.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Select "Map Locator" in the middle and then zoom in on the area you want and put a marker. Click on the marker and it will give you a list of maps with scale and date. It gives you a link to buy the map, but you can also download a high resolution digital version in PDF to print or do whatever you want.

I hope this is what you are looking for. From the comparisons I have done with US Topo these are the same maps they use.
Image

klamp
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by klamp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Equuleus wrote:I use http://store.usgs.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Select "Map Locator" in the middle and then zoom in on the area you want and put a marker. Click on the marker and it will give you a list of maps with scale and date. It gives you a link to buy the map, but you can also download a high resolution digital version in PDF to print or do whatever you want.

I hope this is what you are looking for. From the comparisons I have done with US Topo these are the same maps they use.
That's what I was referring to in my first post. There's no scale indicator or declination on the maps I printed out. Maybe I'm using it wrong? I don't have windows, so I can't download the GeoPDF software. Is that software very useful?

As far as buying maps go, I found a place locally that sells the 1:25,000 maps. Does no one make/sell 1:50,000 maps?

akraven
* * *
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by akraven » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:00 pm

klamp wrote:I think I was looking at that program at one point, but it didn't mention anything about which system it used and what scales. What scales are available with that software? Can you make/print 1:50,000 scale?
The options are either 7.5' (1:24,000) or 63K or 250K and then the larger ones are called "reference maps". Keep in mind that my version is for here in Alaska which doesn't always have all the normal scales you would find in the lower 48. I just took a brief look at the TOPO site and it does appear they are all the same sizes for each state in the TOPO series. What is your reason for specifically needing the 1:50,000 series? In looking at the USGS site themselves they don't even list any 1:50,000 maps.
But just to clarify in the TOPO series maps you can choose either system to print on the map, UTM or Lat Long, in what ever size map you like. Hope that is some help.

klamp
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by klamp » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:55 pm

1:50,000 is just a personal preference. I like the wider view, especially when traveling mounted. Otherwise, you need to carry 3 or 4 maps to travel 20 miles. For me, I'd rather have a few maps with limited terrain data that covers a larger area, rather than have very detailed data for a small area and be required to carry more of them. Coming from the military, I figured UTM and 1:50k would be more common.

User avatar
deMaccusweil
* *
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, 28 days later,
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by deMaccusweil » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:21 pm

I tend to use ordinance survey maps.

Equuleus
* *
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:40 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by Equuleus » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 pm

klamp wrote:
Equuleus wrote:I use http://store.usgs.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Select "Map Locator" in the middle and then zoom in on the area you want and put a marker. Click on the marker and it will give you a list of maps with scale and date. It gives you a link to buy the map, but you can also download a high resolution digital version in PDF to print or do whatever you want.

I hope this is what you are looking for. From the comparisons I have done with US Topo these are the same maps they use.
That's what I was referring to in my first post. There's no scale indicator or declination on the maps I printed out. Maybe I'm using it wrong? I don't have windows, so I can't download the GeoPDF software. Is that software very useful?

As far as buying maps go, I found a place locally that sells the 1:25,000 maps. Does no one make/sell 1:50,000 maps?
OK, I looked at it again and made a demo to make sure you are doing it correctly. For the 1:50000 maps, I guess it would all depend on how you wanted to make them. You could always reduce them by 50%? The guy on this site ( http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/002970.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) who wrote the post on these maps has merged two or more areas together to make a custom map of his AO depending on where he is going. A lot like MyTopo does but with much better maps.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Go to the page in my first post and zoom in on the google map and "mark" the area you are looking at. After you place the "mark" you click on it and it will give you a list of maps, their "names" and the scale and date. For example:
Image

I selected the 7.5X7.5 Charleston map from 1994. This will bring up an order page:
Image

From this page, you can either order the map as is, or click on the image and it will download the file which is a zipped PDF image of the map. This one came out to be about 18+ MB after I unzipped it. At the bottom is the scale which is what you are looking for. In this case:
Image

-------------------------------------------------------

If you PM me the general location you are looking for, I can see what I can find. I didn't find anything when I looked at your profile, so I pulled my AO as a demo. What you do with your maps are up to you, but I tend to download a copy of the PDF version to my iPhone and iPad into iBooks so that I can look at them whenever I want. The full resolutions versions don't take up that much room, I can access them offline, and the screen size doesn't matter because I just zoom in on them. I am planning to print a zoomed in version of my neighborhood onto waterproof paper to keep in my hurricane box just in case, but never plan to deal with it.

-------------------------------------------------------

I did download the GeoPDF software and messed around with it. It just mixes several different maps into one map with different layers which you can add or remove. For example: sat, road, topo, etc. A lot like an AutoCAD drawing if you have access to any of those. You may find some use for it if you are looking for a map with just specific information on it. I added an example of the Charleston 2011 map with and without the sat image and the list of features. I guess you could select what you wanted and then save a copy as a standard PDF for use with either OSX or some other OS. See below:

With:
Image

Without:
Image

Layers: (FYI: The Contours section it the Topo area. Can't tell much from the above maps because my whole AO is a sea level.)
Image

This is an example to show more Topo features. This is from the Shenandoah National Park in VA:
Image
These maps have a LOT of potential. You could print the same map on two different sides of a single piece of paper and have one show topo and water sources and the other be an enhanced road map, just use your imagination.
Image

klamp
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Where else to find UTM maps?

Post by klamp » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks for the SS of the GeoPDF software. I may have to hook up the old windows tower to dl it, now that I've seen it. Are you able to adjust between lat/long and UTM? Is scale user adjustable?

Oh yeah, I forget how I did it, but I found an xlm list of maps for my state, so that I can order them from USGS at my local store. But I want to try to print my own maps with waterproof paper and see how that works.

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”