Winter driving guide

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

infoleather

Re: Winter driving guide

Post by infoleather » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:03 am

I think I see more split 4x4s than any other type of vehicle.
The beauty of being able to keep your Double handle handbags safe and sound when you are out in the http://WWW.CWMALLS.COM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; open is that Embossed Python handbags will save you money from having to get a replacement.

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 am

Just had my winter tires put on, that means it's time to revisit this old topic. What have we learned since last year?
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:31 am

Horatio_Tyllis wrote:What have we learned since last year?
To check batteries. Mine died on me mid october in moist, cold, foggy weather. Which means it is no fun at all to detach it with cold fingers. Have a Battery check in case it is doing it job for more than three years and replace it when in doubt.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

grennels

Post by grennels » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 pm

""-Low gear: Putting an automatic transmission vehicle into low/first gear will give you more torque and more traction at low speeds and may help you get moving. It not as good as 4x4, but it is the next best thing.""

Totally disagree, have argued this point many times.

IMO a lower gear, which you correctly state gives more torque, will spin the tire quicker
BECAUSE of the added torque.

A higher gear will be less likely to spin the tire.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

m ellis allen

Post by m ellis allen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm

grennels wrote:""-Low gear: Putting an automatic transmission vehicle into low/first gear will give you more torque and more traction at low speeds and may help you get moving. It not as good as 4x4, but it is the next best thing.""

Totally disagree, have argued this point many times.

IMO a lower gear, which you correctly state gives more torque, will spin the tire quicker
BECAUSE of the added torque.

A higher gear will be less likely to spin the tire.
i agree, (based on many trials), but switching to a lower gear when going down hill or slowing down is helpfull to keep you off the brakes as much
zombies are notoriously bad drivers
lunicy wrote:Mosins doesn't have Kool aid. It would have to be vodka and coffee,mixed with cosmoline, made with mud, in a hat. Mosins are too rough for kool aid.

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 pm

I don't recommend this for much of anybody else, but my personal winter driving habits involve the following:

1. Wait until there is 3 feet of snow on the ground
2. Start Jeep, let it warm up.
2a. While warming up the engine, air down the tires a bit.
3. Take off into parts unknown
4. Bust as many drifts as you can, giggling like a child, but always make sure there is a light pole within 100 feet to attach the winch to.
4a. Stop and clear off your lights.
5. Return several hours later with mounds of snow and ice stuck to every inch of the Jeep, beaming a painfully large ear-to-ear smile.
6. Park Jeep in garage and let all the ice and snow melt flood the floor.

I love snow. Full out ice I could probably do without though.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

Smü
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Videotape of my 13th birthday ...

Post by Smü » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:31 am

^^ works with a van as well.

As it started to snow [Insert Mupper Show applause] over here, one thing I usually do once roads are snowed: Assume you are twice as fast as you actually are. That helps to keep a healthy distance to other participants, yet you still don't drive like aunt Marble from Alabama.
"Never use actual experience within an internet debate."
- Woods Walker

If you find typos, you may keep 'em.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:54 pm

As I stand at my apartment window and watch the 10th car get stuck trying to navigate the parking lot this afternoon, I think it's as good a time as any to bring this thread to the top.

It would appear that a lot of people are unaware that an automatic vehicle can be switched from "Drive" through "Neutral" and into "Reverse" and back without depressing the break ...
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:00 pm

BullOnParade wrote: It would appear that a lot of people are unaware that an automatic vehicle can be switched from "Drive" through "Neutral" and into "Reverse" and back without depressing the break ...
Yep, like a certain other very important activity in life, rhythm and timing are critical to achieving full satisfaction in rocking a car free from a snow bank. :mrgreen:

LostDrifter

Post by LostDrifter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 pm

http://thelostdrifter.com/index.php/tra ... er-driving" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:13 am

Excellent guide. Thanks for adding it.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:59 am

Just a reminder:

4wd does not exempt you from the laws of physics. The driver of this vehicle was moving at 40 MPH in 4wd High. They slid across the road, went through a grassy ditch, jumped an 18ft road, killed a USPS mailbox, and still hit the Post Office hard enough to knock a 4x42 hole in the side of the building.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

grennels

Post by grennels » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 am

BullOnParade wrote: It would appear that a lot of people are unaware that an automatic vehicle can be switched from "Drive" through "Neutral" and into "Reverse" and back without depressing the break ...

I think using the brake while rocking is more effective. In reverse roll back as far as possible. As the vehicle comes to a stop it will tend to ride up slightly. Catch it at the top with the brake. Off the brake and onto the gas, lightly. As it comes to a stop going forward it will again rise a little as it stops. Again catch it at the top with the brake. Rinse and repeat. You get a significant amount of extra ommph from rolling off the slight inclines on each cycle.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:13 pm

grennels wrote:
I think using the brake while rocking is more effective. In reverse roll back as far as possible. As the vehicle comes to a stop it will tend to ride up slightly. Catch it at the top with the brake. Off the brake and onto the gas, lightly. As it comes to a stop going forward it will again rise a little as it stops. Again catch it at the top with the brake. Rinse and repeat. You get a significant amount of extra ommph from rolling off the slight inclines on each cycle.
Obviously, you need to take your foot off the accelerator to shift through neutral, or you'll rev your engine going into the opposite gear. With the foot off the accelerator and the car at the peak of the trough, you will come to stop without using the break. If the ground is hard enough to start rolling on an incline without sinking, you're not that stuck. Breaking at the top in a heavy snow and you give the vehicle time to sink at what used to be the closest point to being out of the trough. By shifting straight from reverse to drive you have less time to sink in the medium which has stuck you down, and get more momentum of the downward roll.
BullOnParade

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Winter is coming.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:05 am

Don't know who said what, but I will throw my expertly professional amateur advice in the ring....
Here are Jeeper Creeper's 10 commandments of winter driving!!!!

1.) snow tires save lives if you get bad weather and drive a lot.
2.) 4x4 and golden tires made by Jesus are not a guarantee that you are unstoppable.
3.) 4x4 and golden tires made by Jesus will not save you if you hit ice.
4.) Upshift, not downshift to get more traction on a start. This will keep the wheels from spinning and losing traction
5.) Downshift when going down a hill (yes, in automatics, put it in "1") and let the transmission control your speed so you do not ride the brakes. Do it at slow speeds and gently and you will not cause any vehicle damage.
6.) Do not lock up tires. The coefficient of friction between road/snow/ice and rubber is greater when the force vectors are aimed down, not sideways; hence, ABS and the elctronic gizmos that keep you from skidding (yes, I still hate electronic aids). But I dropped out of engineering so my terms may be a little off.
7.) Never drive in someone else's tire tracks in a heavy snow. They will compress the snow to an icey layer. Yes, in rain you want their tire tracks because they clear water, but in snow they create ice.
8.) Always top off your windshield washer fluid.
9.) Put down the cell phones.... ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
10.) THE BIGGEST THING: Go to an empty parking lot a few times a winter and do donuts. Practice spinning out and regaining control. This will teach you your vehicle limits, how to feel it, how to deal with no control, how to recover, etc etc etc. And it is fun. I do it at night every heavy snow and the police never bother me as long as I am not wreckless.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:22 am

Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Winter is coming.
Surprised you didn't bump this when you first got to Calgary.
BullOnParade

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:54 pm

no need. It was 2 days of awful weather then very nice.

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Another year, another bump.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Living in and being from a place where the standing climate/weather joke is that we have 10 months of good skiing and 2 months of poor skiing I always sit back with amused anticipation every year when snow arrives in the US and the UK(as well as a few other places in Europe)... :crazy: :mrgreen: :rofl:
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Just had my winter tires put on, that means it's time to revisit this old topic. What have we learned since last year?
Even if you only have all season tires, consider getting replacements in the fall if your existing tires are nearing the end of their service life. Trying to get those last six months out of your tread warranty is a false economy on the eve of the winter driving season.

Fresh rubber makes a world of difference in snow and ice.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:23 pm

A few flakes have flown so winter tires on here too. My son asked me the other day how long until summer and I told him 8 months. Yeah!! Time to rewinterize everything!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:26 pm

I just finished a 5 hour drive through the Rockies in near blizzard conditions. I broke my own rule of heed travel warnings, but our vacation was over and we hand to get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”