Security System - Pinnacle Security

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

pyratemime

Security System - Pinnacle Security

Post by pyratemime » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Had a door to door sales guy from Pinnacle Security come by my house today. They are trying to establish a presence in our city and based on the location of our house they think it would be good location to advertise. With that in mind they are offering to install their high end system and do the monitoring for 50% off. I am curious if anyone has any experience with this company, with two-way voice security systems (think On-star for homes), and mobile apps used to monitor their system. I am considering this system one because it becomes a $1200 free upgrade to the house and two because while a security system should never be the only line of defense it is, in my opinion, a good part of layered security. Not to mention the panic function that would help set my wife's mind at ease.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Re: Security System - Pinnacle Security

Post by ais4122 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:56 pm

I never trust door to door salesman. I doubt that they are giving you a great deal, it just a salesman making you think its a great deal. But I concur, a security system is a good thing, depending on the yearly monitoring fees.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Shop around. That is only way to know if they are offering a good deal. A door to door salesman making an unsolicited security system sales call sounds a little fishy.

I am a little jaded when it comes to security systems and CCTV. My experience with them is that while they have their place they really do not prevent crime. A CCTV system is good at documenting the time and criminals and the alarm is good at calling for help.

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:33 pm

If they're offering 50% off then they were charging too much to begin with...

Sales gimmicks aside, shopping around sounds like a good idea. I'm with raptor on the CCTV thing.

Grimstad
Favorite Zombie Movies: Children shouldn't play with dead things
Location: Seattle, Washington .......... ,.................Left Wing Gun Nut

Post by Grimstad » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:57 pm

As someone who sold and installed CCTV, it will deter if it's obvious (and well designed) but what it's best at is documenting crime.
"Yeah, but she's our witch, so cut her the hell down." - Malcolm Reynolds

armydawg11b

Post by armydawg11b » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:37 am

Just a heads up, Onstar ( and most other two way voice systems) can be activated by the company when ever they want. Want someone else ears in your house whenever they want?
Be willing to be called a terrorist in order to be a true patriot.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:30 am

armydawg11b wrote:Just a heads up, Onstar ( and most other two way voice systems) can be activated by the company when ever they want. Want someone else ears in your house whenever they want?
I, too, think a security system is a good idea- I really don't think anyone would say it wasn't, if used as a layer of your overall security. But, the idea that someone else can just "tune in" to my home for whatever reason they want- legalities of doing so aside for the moment- is more than a little unsettling. I'm not planning or discussing the committing of any crimes, so I don't worry about someone getting "evidence", but I DO play role playing games from time to time. I'd hate to think what someone listening in to one of those game sessions, missing the start, and therefore the context, would decide was going on at Roc's house. :lol:

Now, I work security for a living, having retired from plumbing. I do think a CCTV system is an important part of the overall system. Obvious or hidden, depends on the application, but being able to document what happens is important- so don't just get cameras and a monitor- have a recording device as well, preferably one that can either record, or dump recordings, to a location off-site. Advertise the system's existence- it's not just free advertising for the company- it DOES deter the lower level forms of life from doing something stupid- the non-professional scumbags, that are much more likely to escalate things to violence if something goes wrong with their spur-of-the-moment B&E. A professional, someone like you see in the movies, is going to be able to defeat your system, regardless. The upside being, any such professional isn't going to be the kind of person who freaks out and does something stupid at the first sign of problems. A pro is just after your stuff, not your blood.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Usually those door to door people are like contract salesmen for the company they are shilling for. They get commissions on the units they sell and then setup an actual employee of the company to come out and do the install and such. I'd be weary if it was a company I had never heard of and of course i'd call the number listed on the website for that company before giving any money to them or letting them inside my home.

Adding to the CCTV bit, even just having the alarm company stickers on the windows and possibly a dummy wall unit barely visible from outside could be enough to deter a would-be thief. Why risk an alarmed house when the one next door has no stickers or wall units.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:35 pm

The 50% off in return for "advertising in a new area" is a gimmick that is older than I am. As I recall, aluminum siding salesmen used it in the '50s.

I'd shop around. I make it a point to never buy anything door to door. Investigate on your own, get prices for a system that will work best for your needs, and buy it when you are ready.

nyvp

Post by nyvp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 am

by me they give you the system for free if you sign a contract for monitoring.

southern_goober

Post by southern_goober » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:37 am

Just Google "pinnacle security scam"

I'd rather spend the money on reinforcing my house. Ie burglar bars, deadbolts, and guns.

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

armydawg11b wrote:Just a heads up, Onstar ( and most other two way voice systems) can be activated by the company when ever they want. Want someone else ears in your house whenever they want?
That's not the case with home security systems. I've had Alarm Force for almost a year now and I could not be happier. They give you two wireless door/window contacts, a wireless keypad and a wireless motion sensor on a fully monitored system with two-way voice contact. You pay only the monitoring fee which is $25 per month. They cannot listen in anytime they want. The two-way voice utilizes the telephone line (can also use a cellular based system as a backup for an extra fee) and the one and only time that anyone at the monitoring station can hear anything that is going onb at your house is when the alarm is activated and it places a call to the monitoring center initiating two-way communications - the alarm unit (which has full battery backup) essentially acts as a speaker phone. They cannot call in other than dialing your number and waiting for you to answer.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”