Shipping container buildings

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

multipass

Shipping container buildings

Post by multipass » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:41 am

I found this link to a website about the subject via Raptorman's website, it is highly informative and i think very good idea. Many have talked about making an underground facility but worried about the cost of all that concreate, well here is part of a way to curve the price perhaps.

www.undergroundcontainer.com

The site outlines one a few designs with layout plans for homes made with containers, all covered by dirt by the looks of it. Now he also shows a couple 'castle' desgins which could eaisaly be sunken below ground level with a small buolding above ground for access to the lower levels.

I can see a very fessible way of including these into the contruction of my compound for dual level storage facilities and containment areas and so forth.What are your thoughts on this?

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:22 pm

Not the worst idea ever:
Shipping containers are cheap, and easy to move. They cost about $2000 for a used 40'x8'x8' one, and you can have them moved (delivered) for $200-$400.
They are pretty damn strong too. You could add hatches anywhere you wanted really without really weakening them. Basically it's a giant steel box.

The author says he wouldn't trust more than a few feet of soil unless they were supported by a concrete slab on the roof, but shipping companies stack these things 6 high on ships, full of cargo, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't put at least 4 or more feet of soil on it. Still, you'd have to do the right research.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

Orson

Post by Orson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:35 pm

Apparently people live in those, in the bahamas and saint george and stuff. My parents told be about it when they got back from thier cruise.
kyle wrote:I, for once, actually agree with gundown.
GunDown wrote: I never would have fucked her if she didn't have a vagina.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:47 pm

If you were going to bury one partially, would something like Rhino Lining on the exterior work?

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:23 pm

I just finished spending about a week in one. Where I am, the military has a little series of them set up as living quarters they use as a kind of hotel while they set up permanent quarters for people coming into the area.

The Army calls them conexes and they are pretty comfortable. My roomate and I did just fine. The only problem was walking to the containers setup as bathrooms through the snow.

I kind of think the website in the original post is a bit optimistic about how much living space you can squeeze out of one though. We sure didn't have room for closets, a toilet, and kitchen facilities. Maybe the military uses smaller containers so as to be more mobile. I am not really a logistics expert. A series of them linked together could be made quite livable for extended periods though.

Gunny the Rhino lining idea sounds really good it you are going to bury the container.

This thread is definitely giving me some ideas for when I get back state side.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:33 pm

This thread is definitely giving me some ideas for when I get back state side.
Stay safe out there mate and thanks.

Big J

Post by Big J » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:45 pm

the_klenzer wrote:The author says he wouldn't trust more than a few feet of soil unless they were supported by a concrete slab on the roof, but shipping companies stack these things 6 high on ships, full of cargo, so I'd be surprised if you couldn't put at least 4 or more feet of soil on it. Still, you'd have to do the right research.
I would guess the concern for the weight of the soil is that although in the containers the corners are quite sturdy and the sides more than likely have some type of reinforcement supports, the overhead is supported by nothing once you start moving inward from the sides. Those shipping containers you see (we have some at my work, just not nearly as buff) are stacked because the corners and sides are lined up just right. If you were to put something just as heavy with less width and length on top it would more than likely crash right down or at least give it one hell of a sag.

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:09 pm

Great idea Gunny!
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:22 pm

If anyone wants to take this further, find out how much it would be to coat this structure with 1/4 inch of Rhino Lining for me :)

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:26 pm

Do it!
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:31 pm

I assume inside and out. We got a company here in AZ called Inyati I believe they were the fist ones to do the spray on coating. They did a truck for me in the early 90's. They said they got the idea from mining carts in South Africa. I give them a call tomorrow and post the cost per container.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:56 pm

Rock the hell on, let me know mate. Might be good to get a rough sq. ft. measurement for them.

Bald Chihuahua

Post by Bald Chihuahua » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:15 pm

Whoever came up with this should get some kind of award or something... like a gift card b/c this is frickin cool.

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:02 am

OK, I will have quotes from three bidders by Monday. Is anyone serious about this? It sounds like a great Idea to me. I might just do it. My estimate is about $2,500.00 USD for the container, and about $5,000 for the coating. Add about $2,500.00 for mounting and pluming. You got yourself a hell of a hidey hole.
Buy some land and put a double wide on top= $35,000.00 USD. Total for safe house <$50,000.00 USD. Hell I might just do this!
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:13 am

Shit I kind of like the idea. Quick question though, wouldn't the doors have to be modified? My understanding is they only open from the outside (and lock damn securely).

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:20 am

Yep, but we do all modifications before spraying!@!!
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:23 am

The plans in the original post are pretty good. I'm pretty good with a torch but I bet there are some ZS's that do it for a living. Just ask for help!
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:03 am

Hell I like optimism.

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:21 am

Adapt and overcome!!!!
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

multipass

Post by multipass » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:31 am

I'm wondering here, the castle setup is interesting, now could it be possible to set on of them below ground then build a 2 storey structure on top to hide the fact there is a sod off bunker beneath?

And i already got ideas floating in my mind for a storage building made from some 40 foot containers, 3 or 4 above ground with equal below ground. Would mean a shed load of space and would be effective as well.

Moby

Post by Moby » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:54 am

When they are buried how do you get air/ventalation, and what type of septic system would you use. Do you put them on a slab underground, bricks or right on drit

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:12 pm

Stay safe out there mate and thanks.
The guys you should be thanking are the soldiers. They are out here for love of country and have my total respect and support. I am out here for the money. While I love my country I wouldn't do what I am doing now for $1.50 an hour, which about what a soldier makes when you boil everything down.
When they are buried how do you get air/ventalation, and what type of septic system would you use. Do you put them on a slab underground, bricks or right on drit
Ventilation would be important underground. I think if you are setting up a PAW bunker coming up with some sort of solar system to run a fan to bring in fresh air from the surface and take stale air out would be ideal. The big problem would be hiding the solar panels if you are trying not to be noticed.

Water could be taken care of with a gravity feed cistern fed by rain water, the local stream, etc. Just be sure to run it through a good filter setup before drinking. I think a septic tank would be a necessity for waste elimination. I don't like the idea of a night soil bucket in an underground living space. Just make sure the tank and wherever you drain it out to is well away from your water source.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

jptp0831

Coating

Post by jptp0831 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:19 pm

The best price on spray on bed lining is from Inyati. Frankly they are the only ones that can do it. Rhino can't do it because of size. The price for inside and out all surfaces would be $7,200.00 USD for a 20'x8'x8'. There would be a volume discount. If anyone is serious about this PM me.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

JRod

Post by JRod » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:54 pm

I am definately keeping this in the back of my mind when I move from Florida. I just don't think I'd would work down here. If I dug a 10' hole behind my house I might hit water.... :?
Charter founder of the Hoff Squad Center for Hoff Appreciation. LLC 2008
kyle wrote:Like OMG... this thread is sooo two years ago.
BethDeath on the PAW w/out razors wrote:There will be hairy people fornicating everywhere. :D

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”