Gnats, "no seeums" & Mosquitos - Suggestions Needed.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Gnats, "no seeums" & Mosquitos - Suggestions Needed.

Post by raptor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:37 pm

I just came back from fishing in the Bahamas. I stay at a really nice place but it like the rest of the rest of the Bahamas has a bug problem. The mosquitos are not bad but the gnats, midges or "no see ums" are really obnoxious.

Here is a link which describes the little bastards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem to be oblivious to DEET and only Skin So Soft will keep them at bay. That or wearing long pants socks and a long sleeve shirt. Does anyone have any experience with controlling these critters? The place has a system like this but I suspect the repellent they are using is the wrong type or too watered down.

http://www.swatmosquitosystems.com/WhatIsIt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sealegs

Re: Gnats, "no seeums" & Mosquitos - Suggestions Needed.

Post by Sealegs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:25 pm

We have the exact same little pests here too. About the only critter I would really wish extinction upon.

We have about 70 or more species of them here and they are documented as pestering us since at the very least the 1700:s. They can even kill horses and livestock if there are too many and the animals are left untended.

As you can expect knott repelling is a hot topic in Sweden. Mostly though planning is king. Avoid places with water and no wind. That's where the buggers will bite you to bits. But on to the chemicals.

Beckolja:
Made from tar and smells just like it. Sticky and thick. Some results have been reported when mixing it 1/1 with "Djungelolja". (Another liquid repellant) I haven't tried them mixed myself though. Smells like TAR, and is TAR. :D

FLY-RITE:
Allot of fishermen recommend this as perfect against the knott. It works and is a spray on thing. It kills the mosquito and knott after they get in contact with it. So you should avoid smacking yourself when the buggers land. Lest you smear it out. Smell free.

Nordic Summer:
Smells like tar and looks like shoe polish but is very effective. I have tried it and it works. Just smear it on like suntan lotion. :lol: This is actually a store bought mix of beckolja, djungelolja and tjukolja. Works with synthetic clothing. Remember to wash it off before you go to sleep or it can irritate your skin. Smells like tar, is sticky, but works like a charm. Commonly called Wilmas Nordic Summer.

Mosi Guard:
This newfangled thing incorporates some lemon eucalyptus thingie and is supposedly less poisonous to humans. It works against mosquitos and has a fair degree of function for knott as well. Will not hold any 6hrs as stated on packagaing though. Maybe 2hrs of camp work. Lemon stink included. This is a well know product for the Aussies.

Use the rain gear and zip up the sleeves and button down the hatches. Cover the remaining skin with Nordic Summer or some more modern thing. Avoid the most haunted areas by watching the map and setting camp accordingly. (Sorry I live in the woods. :lol: )

Some woods in the camp fire have a knott and mosquito repelling function and that works like a charm. I suppose the local versions are known in the regions you frequent. We have plants like that can be used but they are often poisonous as well. Ledum Palustre (Skvattram for Swedes) will lower blood pressure and have other side effects. Human poisoning is not uncommon in that case and unless there is very skilled people involved I'd advice against making home grown stuff from herbs.

Other products I've heard good things about.
FLUSA works very well on horses sheep. Works VERY well.
Absorbine Ultra Shield has varied reports. Some extremely well and some only OK. Might be down to usage.
US622 works for less than an hour if you put it on the neck and wrists. The knott usually crawl in until they can't go further and then they bite. Repeatedly the buggers.
OFF is recommended by people I know living out in the gnat infested hells of northern Sweden.

Basically any brand that has the maximum allowed dosage of DEET (NN,-dietylmeta-toluamide) will work fairly well. Compared to back before the regulations they aren't worth much though. You have to rub/spray/apply more often than you might remember doing back in the 80's.

Sorry for the long and fragmented post. Might come back and insert links and pictures of products and clean it up a bit. This is from a Swedish perspective and I don't claim any expert knowledge other than I really hate the bastards and I have been bitten by them since I was born.

I forgot to mention Bite-Shield. A pack with a small fan in it that will mosquito free about 3yds around you by spreading some flower oil gunk that smells like a wunderbaum. Allot of golfers I know love the thing. Like a small walkman or wall mounted thing that runs for 120hrs on the oil and I have absolutely no idea what the battery life is though. http://www.biteshield.se/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said, this is a big deal here. :lol:
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:55 pm

I was considering a fogger like this to deal with them.
http://www.epestsupply.com/skeet_daddle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hear you about avoid the places where they go, but unfortunately they exist where the fishing is great.
Sealegs wrote: About the only critter I would really wish extinction upon.
:lol: I agree I am a live and let live person but these varmits try even my patience.

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:51 pm

I was abroad on work a bit back and saw a very similar fogger being used with great effect. The down side was the entire street looked like the burning of London for an hour or so.

Those little shield thingies I linked to has a set number of square feet of room they protect. So for indoor use I would have tried those, if it'd allow for open windows in a warmer climate. I will try one out this summer when I go fishing. I mostly fish on a still lake so the gnats are better than the actual fish. Unless you're an ace fisherman like me who gets pike THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS big. :mrgreen: Non-photoshopped pictures of said pike to come as soon as one appears and in conjunction with a review on the thingie.

Edit:
With similar I mean a resmethrin based fogger/fumigation system. Was terribly noisy though.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

wagdhead

Post by wagdhead » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Controlling them is pretty much impossible on a wide spread scale, unless you want to personally fund a Superfund site. :D

but.....
I swear by Thermacell's for the critters you are talking about. I have used them on my trips to the islands, but they have all been by boat or private plane. It uses a butane canister, so taking one by air might be an issue, but I have a bunch of hunting and fishing buddies who bring theirs down with them via commercial airlines.

http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The nice thing about them is they cover a pretty broad area, so you can wear one is a holster or set it down and cover you and your buddies. If I am in an area with a stiff breeze I use it combined with regular bugspray.

You can get the Thermcell, a couple of refills and a holster for under $40.00.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:19 am

For those gnats, which attempt to fly into your eyes, the best policy seems to be sunglasses or to outright trick them. Insects near as I can tell don't think about much of anything, they simply react in a pre programmed way. Eye gnats are looking for.......you guessed it your eyes. If something else looks like eyes to them they will fly in a tight pattern in front of that object. Sometimes the two sternum buckles of a backpack will trick them. Other times a camera case a bit lower will make them swarm to that. Deer flys don't seem to know what to do about wide brimmed hats. They land multiple times and eventually give up. No-see-ums are nasty evil little things and often I don't find out until after the fact they're chewing on me. No-See-um mesh works well for tents. Black flies use DEET as an appetizer and will crawl under sleeves. I never tried skin so soft but heard it works for gnats. Deet helps for maybe a few minutes during the height of mosquito season. I think a campfire works better.

When out for a longer trip I tend to become more indifferent over time. I can recall a few trips which people were shocked as to the numbers of bites on me back home but on the trail is was old hat.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:45 am

I'm another advocate for SSS, thanks for reminding me to get some more. Do you just rub it on before you go out, or do you put it in the washing machine for the clothes you intend to wear? I've had good results with the washing machine method, but it takes foresight, obviously not a problem when packing for a trip.

I've seen the ThermaCELL units around, no experience with them, but probably worth trying. Now that I'm thinking about it, it might make a Christmas gift for my parents to take out on their boat.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:28 am

I used 100% DEET for the longest time, as we were jungle grunts. I noticed I'd sweat it off as easily as cammie paint, and it kinda irritated my skin. Still have lots of it around, but my wife found some other stuff we T&E'd with good success.

Beat It

Some kind of all-natural hippy snake-oil, Beat It promises to rid you of all the biters, and does a pretty good job. I think it works better than 100% DEET, smells better, and Wifey lets me put it on the kids. I've also noticed it works well sprayed on surfaces for area-of-effect. Case in point: the entry doors from the back patio into the garage, and garage into kitchen were a problem area since early spring. Bugs hung out there a lot, swarming by the doors, and would get in the house when people walked in. Add to that the fact that my wife and the kids can't keep those doors shut when we have a fire out back, and my house always had skeeters in it.

Until...

Until I got a couple cans of this Beat It stuff, and 'painted' the doors and areas around them in this chemical, at which point all bugs and spiders were gone for at least 2 months. When I saw a few return, I repainted, and no bugs returned for another 2 months.

It smells lemony, and you gotta dust it on pretty thick, but the smell goes away after a bit, and it doesn't irritate my skin. We got 3 large aluminum spray bottles for T&E, 1 for each car and another for the house, and next I'm buying the gallon refill jug. Planning to try coating my bush clothes with it in advance, to see how well that works...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Utah_ZHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: YES!

Post by Utah_ZHunter » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:14 am

I am really surprised no one has said anything about garlic. Sure, your wife/ girlfriend/ buddies will not come near you. :lol:
But all the bugs will not come near you ether. :twisted:
All you need to do is eat A LOT of garlic for about a week before and during your trip :)
If at first you don't succeed, double-tap. Zombie Squad Fast Response Vehicle #0317
Lead, follow, or get out of the way. I don't care, just don't be on the cellphone when your doing it.
Why Yes, I am a Super-Trucker
Dexion1619 wrote:Oh god, I just realized I'm Fry from futurama! **Face-Palm**

m ellis allen

Post by m ellis allen » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:33 pm

for keeping any biteing fly away when im camping, i get a fire going, and throw some green (fresh) cedar bows on top of the fire and then stand in the smoke. makes me stink like hell for the rest of the day but it works.

F@#K skin so soft, i swear it attracts them to me
zombies are notoriously bad drivers
lunicy wrote:Mosins doesn't have Kool aid. It would have to be vodka and coffee,mixed with cosmoline, made with mud, in a hat. Mosins are too rough for kool aid.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:27 pm

raptor wrote:I was considering a fogger like this to deal with them.
http://www.epestsupply.com/skeet_daddle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought one of these and use a pesticide with resmethrin in it. It works but only if you spray it right before you need it. The no seeums need constant attacks to keep them under control.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:35 pm

I was told that three teaspoons of vinegar ( one, three times a day ) will make you unattractive to mosquitoes. Start 1 week before you head out to the area there is a problem. Now I have never done this but I have more vinegar in my diet than most people and I have never had large problems with the critters.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:28 pm

BullOnParade wrote:I'm another advocate for SSS, thanks for reminding me to get some more. Do you just rub it on before you go out, or do you put it in the washing machine for the clothes you intend to wear? I've had good results with the washing machine method, but it takes foresight, obviously not a problem when packing for a trip.

I've seen the ThermaCELL units around, no experience with them, but probably worth trying. Now that I'm thinking about it, it might make a Christmas gift for my parents to take out on their boat.
ive seen the thermacell units before but never gave them much thought. i have 50.00 in basspro gift cards so i was messing around the website and came accross the thermacell. i was very suprised to see it gets 4.7 out of 5 stars with 111 reviews! they sell the unit with a holster making packing extra refills easy. i think i will order one up with a few refills and check it out.

often times mosquitos dont bother me, but when they do they love me! DEET works well for me, but it has been mentioned it sweats off and sweating is what we do in FL. also i have seen DEET "fog" up the outside of my nalgenes before. the thermacell seems like a good alternative to DEET though the refills can be a bit pricey.

http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCell-Mosqu ... 2165/69440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCELL-Mosqu ... 287/159880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gillis

Post by gillis » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Utah_ZHunter wrote:I am really surprised no one has said anything about garlic. Sure, your wife/ girlfriend/ buddies will not come near you. :lol:
All you need to do is eat A LOT of garlic for about a week before and during your trip :)
Does this work with scentless Garlic vitamin supplements?

Utah_ZHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: YES!

Post by Utah_ZHunter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:34 am

gillis wrote:
Utah_ZHunter wrote:I am really surprised no one has said anything about garlic. Sure, your wife/ girlfriend/ buddies will not come near you. :lol:
Does this work with scentless Garlic vitamin supplements?
I Never tryed that. Sorry.
If at first you don't succeed, double-tap. Zombie Squad Fast Response Vehicle #0317
Lead, follow, or get out of the way. I don't care, just don't be on the cellphone when your doing it.
Why Yes, I am a Super-Trucker
Dexion1619 wrote:Oh god, I just realized I'm Fry from futurama! **Face-Palm**

nes999

Post by nes999 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:06 am

I do a lot of night fishing have have tried the 99% sporters deet, it doesnt work. The only thing that works good is vanilla. Find some cheap spray that small likes vanila and your set.

overkillpaintball

Post by overkillpaintball » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:43 am

we went on a hiking trip in the smoky mountains and everyone with us took skin so soft and off etc. out of the 10 of us i only got 2 bites (on our way out of missouri) and i was the only one that did not use any...i dont know if it was luck but if they are attracted to stuff like that just make sure everyone else around you is covered
"why is the rum gone?"
rock out with your glock out
i have nothing sober to say to you

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Mulit pronged approach.

Eat garlic, spray clothes with deet, rub beatit on skin. Keep smoky fire going upwind of you (even cigars or incense). Choose an open well ventilated place to stand, breeze preffered. Avoid swampy areas. Using a Leeward shore, instead of a Windward shore. Keep the breeze comming from the ocean rather than the swamp/woods.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:37 pm

WW, those eye gnats drive me nuts when we go to NC in August for a week. I found litterally hosing down a ballcap brim top and bottom with Deet keeps them away. They get close but never make a dive bomb attempt on me. It's the only time I ever wear a hat.

Raptor, those foggers work good if you are in a certain area for a couple of hours. Fog under short trees and bushes as most critters live under the leaves of stuff 5 feet high and shorter. Hit the grass really hard if you intend to sit in chairs for a while. I've had a hand held fogger for 12 years or so, it's called Mr Death Cloud.

Those thermocell units work well. Just do NOT wear one in a Florida State Park. They call it harrassing wild life (mosquitos are the FL state bird) and will give you a ticket. Saw that personally.

I use 100% Deet and it's works ok.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

The Mrs.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead
REC I & II
28 Days Later
Dead Set
Exit Humanity
Tucker and Dale Vs Evil
Zombieland
Location: Leaning on an acacia, deliciously shaded, with the occasional sunbeam streaking through leaves.

Post by The Mrs. » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 pm

An article on natural mosquito repellants: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/aznatur ... squito.htm

I was also recently told about this simple DIY contraption that you can place in your home to trap mosquitoes:

>Cut the top (just before the start of the cone) off a 2 liter bottle.
>Invert the cone and place it inside the straight part of the bottle.
>Glue or tape the two pieces together, using a glue or silicon.
>Add 1 tsp yeast and ½ cup sugar to some luke warm water, and pour the mixture into the bottle.

Rationale: Mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide that you exhale. The yeast feeds off the sugar and emits the same gas, so the mosquito enters the bottle, thinking it will find food there. It cannot then get out.

You can use the same bottle design for a fly trap, but fill it with a putrid smelling liquid. For wasps, use a sugar mixture.

Want more detailed instructions? Click here: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to ... quito-trap
Cogito, ergo nom...nom...nom.
Cave canem, te necet lingendo.

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I have good luck with permethrin, mostly for ticks/chiggers. I've been concidering using it on some wide brimmed hats with mosquito netting to deal with biting flies and those annoyances that you mentioned.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Just a quick update. The only thing that I have found that works is a combination of these:

1) Wear long pants and socks. They do not seem to fly higher than waist level.
2) Get a powerful fan and stand in the breeze of the fan.
3) Aggressively fog the area right before sundown. Too soon and the "fog" wears off and too late and the little blood sucking bastards are gone. By aggressive I mean sweep the area at least 3 times.

Finally... go inside before before sundown.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:36 pm

I'll toss in another vote for the Thermacell here. I bought one a couple of years ago and they do work very well when it's calm. Unfortunately they don't work if there's more than a slight breeze so when the wind lets up the mosquitoes come back faster than the Thermacell can saturate the area again. Other than that? They work great.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:01 pm

I was going to pick up some of these for the upcoming ZSC003 MBO, but after that report, I'll probably stick with the spray I have in stock.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”