13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dragonetti

Re: 13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Post by Dragonetti » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Can I just use the keys to claw/stab the intruder?

Also is there a law against hanging a sign on my door that says "Solicit and Die"? Was thinking of adding an illustration with it. :D

On the topic of gardening if a pretty garden says I have pretty things, what does this garden gnome say?

ruralranger

Post by ruralranger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 am

to a jury , i hhahahave tttrreeets & ananand myyy fffinger waswaswas stustuck on ththe tttriger (reason why they were shot with a full clip ) :D

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:38 pm

I had a police officer friend who suggest to keep a can of brightly colored spray paint for home defence. You spray him in the face and then call the police. He can't wash it off and it will incapacitate him, plus the police won't have trouble finding a partially blind person who's painted neon pink.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:25 am

s.leinicke wrote:I had a police officer friend who suggest to keep a can of brightly colored spray paint for home defence. You spray him in the face and then call the police. He can't wash it off and it will incapacitate him, plus the police won't have trouble finding a partially blind person who's painted neon pink.

Not a very wise move. It would be less trouble to shoot the intruder in the face with a shotgun. There are so many ways spray painting a guys face can turn around on you. I'm all for the idea that an intruder has no rights and if he lives through the ordeal he should be on hands and knees thanking the home owner for his mercy, but, the court system doesn't think that way, at least not always.

The long lasting effects of spraying chemicals (spray paint in this case) into someones face can turn into a nightmare of litigation, against the person defending themselves. I'm not suggesting you wouldn't be cleared of any and all liability, but it could be a long and expensive process to do so.

In a State that has a "Castle Doctrine", or similar law, it would be legally easier for you to just kill the guy and get your carpets cleaned. And in those States, getting dead is a occupational hazard for intruders. They know what they're doing is illegal and possibly lethal.

In a State that doesn't have such laws, spraying chemicals not meant as human deterrence agents, can land you in jail. Especially in CA where those chemicals are known to cause cancer.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:42 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:
s.leinicke wrote:I had a police officer friend who suggest to keep a can of brightly colored spray paint for home defence. You spray him in the face and then call the police. He can't wash it off and it will incapacitate him, plus the police won't have trouble finding a partially blind person who's painted neon pink.

Not a very wise move. It would be less trouble to shoot the intruder in the face with a shotgun. There are so many ways spray painting a guys face can turn around on you. I'm all for the idea that an intruder has no rights and if he lives through the ordeal he should be on hands and knees thanking the home owner for his mercy, but, the court system doesn't think that way, at least not always.

The long lasting effects of spraying chemicals (spray paint in this case) into someones face can turn into a nightmare of litigation, against the person defending themselves. I'm not suggesting you wouldn't be cleared of any and all liability, but it could be a long and expensive process to do so.

In a State that has a "Castle Doctrine", or similar law, it would be legally easier for you to just kill the guy and get your carpets cleaned. And in those States, getting dead is a occupational hazard for intruders. They know what they're doing is illegal and possibly lethal.

In a State that doesn't have such laws, spraying chemicals not meant as human deterrence agents, can land you in jail. Especially in CA where those chemicals are known to cause cancer.

As someone mentioned earlier, there are 3-in-1 defense sprays that have OC, old fashioned Mace, and UV dye. It's specifically designed for in the face spraying, and the dye is harder to wash of and the BG is less likely to even realize it's there (unless he goes to a nightclub or titty bar, in which case he'll get really embarassed once he stands near a blacklight.)
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

john917v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Romero movies

Post by john917v » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Some craphead tried to break into my mother's WHILE SHE WAS HOME ALONE :shock: She could hear the sliding door being pulled. I'd use the wasp spray IF it was the only thing handy. I'd much rather a firearm. It's such nonsense about being sued by the burglar....WHAT ON EARTH WERE YOU DOING IN THIS INNOCENT PERSON'S DWELLING?? :x

I try not to make patterns, try to make sure at least one person's always home (it's good that I'm the only one that works nights), keep outdoor lights maintained and on at night. The day after the jerk failed at breaking in to my mom's, I cut some plants in the backyard with my sword and I cut several of the trees against the fence with a pretty sharp angle-cut.

I wonder if they (I wasn't there) knew my mom was home....In either case, I showed her how to load and use my .22 rifle. It's not much, but I'd rather her have that than nothing, or something too big for her.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks to a bunch of recent incidents in Lexington, KY:

I'm a drug addict, and I got a bad habit, man. But don't worry, I'm not after your jewels or anything inside your house. I'm coming to gank the copper out of your home heating/cooling unit. That shit will get me enough money to get high for a week! I don't care if I cost you hundreds or thousands in repairs. I need to ride the snake tonight.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:42 am

MaconCJ7 wrote:

He was from Wisconsin where there is no Castle law. Although Illinois has a castle law I think there would be far less litigation about using a non lethal, yet harmful method of home defense instead of just killing the person. It's also far less dangerous than firing a weapon in your house.

Besides,
Taken from IL Code

(720 ILCS 5/7-2) Sec. 7-2. Use of force in defense of dwelling.
A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a dwelling. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:
(a) The entry is made or attempted in a violent, riotous, or tumultuous manner, and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon, or offer of personal violence to, him or another then in the dwelling, or
(b) He reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the commission of a felony in the dwelling.

(720 ILCS 5/19‑4) (from Ch. 38, par. 19‑4)
Criminal trespass to a residence.
(a) (1) A person commits the offense of criminal trespass to a residence when, without authority, he knowingly enters or remains within any residence, including a house trailer.
(2) A person commits the offense of criminal trespass to a residence when, without authority, he or she knowingly enters the residence of another and knows or has reason to know that one or more persons is present or he or she knowingly enters the residence of another and remains in the residence after he or she knows or has reason to know that one or more persons is present.
(3) For purposes of this Section, in the case of a multi‑unit residential building or complex, "residence" shall only include the portion of the building or complex which is the actual dwelling place of any person and shall not include such places as common recreational areas or lobbies.
(b) Sentence.
(1) Criminal trespass to a residence under paragraph (1) of subsection (a) is a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Criminal trespass to a residence under paragraph (2) of subsection (a) is a Class 4 felony

In order to use Lethal or Grievous force you have to be able to prove they entered in a violent manner or knew you were there. It's not quite as easy as just shooting them. If you kill them it makes it much harder to prove either of these. If you were to spray them in the eyes with spray paint it proves that they knew you were there because you had to get close enough for them to be sprayed. I see your point though. I was just offering it as a suggestion to those who wanted an alternate solution to killing another human being.

Valorius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Crazies
Resident Evil I

Post by Valorius » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:15 am

the_klenzer wrote:This has probably been posted here before, but it's a good read and a good reminder.
There are some really great tips here: The best are near the end. Common Sense applied in a vigorous way.

1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your Carpets, paint ing your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.

2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in Your Yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to Make my Return a little easier.

3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste... And taste means There Are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make Me Wonder what type of gaming system they have.

4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I Might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes You to Remove it..

5. If it snows while you're out of town, get a neighbor to create car And Foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead Giveaway.

6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don't let your Alarm Company install the control pad where I can see if it's set. That makes It Too easy.

7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the Windows On the second floor, which often access the master bedroom - and your Jewelry. It's not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.

8. It's raining, you're fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to Lock Your door - understandable. But understand this: I don't take a day off Because of bad weather.

9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions
Somewhere or Offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)

10. Do you really think I won't look in your sock drawer? I always check Dresser drawers, the bedside table, and the medicine cabinet.

11. Here's a helpful hint: I almost never go into kids' rooms.

12. You're right: I won't have enough time to break into that safe where You Keep your valuables. But if it's not bolted down, I'll take it with me.

13. A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm System. If you're reluctant to leave your TV on while you're out of town, you Can Buy a $35 device that works on a timer and simulates the flickering glow
Of A real television.

(Find it athttp://www.faketv.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8 MORE THINGS A BURGLAR WON'T TELL YOU:

1. Sometimes, I carry a clipboard. Sometimes, I dress like a lawn guy And Carry a rake. I do my best to never, ever look like a crook.

2. The two things I hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.

3. I'll break a window to get in, even if it makes a little noise. If Your Neighbor hears one loud sound, he'll stop what he's doing and wait to Hear It again.. If he doesn't hear it again, he'll just go back to what he Was Doing. It's human nature.

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy Alarm system and leave your house without setting it?

5. I love looking in your windows. I'm looking for signs that you're Home, And for flat screen TVs or gaming systems I'd like. I'll drive or walk Through your neighborhood at night, before you close the blinds, just to Pick my targets.

6. Avoid announcing your vacation on your Facebook page. It's easier Than You think to look up your address.

7. To you, leaving that window open just a crack during the day is a way To Let in a little fresh air. To me, it's an invitation.

8. If you don't answer when I knock, I try the door. Occasionally, I hit The Jackpot and walk right in.

Sources: Convicted burglars in North Carolina, Oregon, California, and
Kentucky ; security consultant Chris McGoey, who runshttp://www.crimedoc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and Richard T. Wright, a criminology professor at the
University of Missouri-St. Louis, who interviewed 105 burglars for his Book
Burglars on the Job

Protection for you and your home:

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you. (I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.):

WASP SPRAY

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about
using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker
until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection...
Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

FROM ANOTHER SOURCE

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School. For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says, "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's
a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.

PUT YOUR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT
PUT YOUR KEYS BESIDE YOUR BED AT NIGHT

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr.'s office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night...
If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies. This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next
time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or
until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage. If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick
around. After a few seconds all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking
lot. The alarm can work the same way there
1 thing a nut like me doesn't tell a burglar.

"I left those things out to make me look like an easy target. So i can make an example of you when you come back."

Hehe...

Seriously though, good list, lots of good tips. But i do like to think that about 15 seconds after coming through my door any burglar would have an epiphany that he chose the wrong career path.
I am Infantry, Follow me!

Woody187
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Woody187 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:59 am

dukman wrote:I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.
A one sided story is better than a two sided one.
Building your dreams one paycheck at a time!

Woody187
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Woody187 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:03 am

Dragonetti wrote:Can I just use the keys to claw/stab the intruder?

Also is there a law against hanging a sign on my door that says "Solicit and Die"? Was thinking of adding an illustration with it. :D

On the topic of gardening if a pretty garden says I have pretty things, what does this garden gnome say?
That Knome says "your awesome!!" Where did you get that???
Building your dreams one paycheck at a time!

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 am

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Dash

Post by Dash » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:39 am

I work for a large security company. Some FBI stats you may like to know is...

85% of break-in's happen thru a door. They are quiet and easy to get thru.

Just having a security sign out front & stickers on windows takes your chances of being broken into from 1-4 to 1-60.

70% of the time a burglary happens, its done by someone the victim knew. (Friend, Relative, Neighbor, etc)

The more you know. *shooting star*

Str8Shooter

Post by Str8Shooter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:11 pm

OP, great list!!!
Dash wrote:Just having a security sign out front & stickers on windows takes your chances of being broken into from 1-4 to 1-60.
I haven't seen actual stats to back up what you've said but a customer of mine who owns a alarm company once told me basically the same thing. At the time I snagged some stickers and put them on every window of my house. I now have a monitored alarm and a yard sign. Heck I even put alarm stickers on my shed.
My Storage Locker Review - http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 34&t=82803

ASSume I did search prior to asking my question. Thanks!

Dash

Post by Dash » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Str8Shooter wrote:OP, great list!!!
Dash wrote:Just having a security sign out front & stickers on windows takes your chances of being broken into from 1-4 to 1-60.
I haven't seen actual stats to back up what you've said but a customer of mine who owns a alarm company once told me basically the same thing. At the time I snagged some stickers and put them on every window of my house. I now have a monitored alarm and a yard sign. Heck I even put alarm stickers on my shed.
Yeah, when I throw that stat out, people always ask "Can I just buy the sign and stickers?" Lol

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:11 pm

DarkAxel wrote:Thanks to a bunch of recent incidents in Lexington, KY:

I'm a drug addict, and I got a bad habit, man. But don't worry, I'm not after your jewels or anything inside your house. I'm coming to gank the copper out of your home heating/cooling unit. That shit will get me enough money to get high for a week! I don't care if I cost you hundreds or thousands in repairs. I need to ride the snake tonight.
This up here ^ times a thousand. This happens with depressing regularity in my AO to every house that stands vacant for even a day. Sometimes they'll break in and tear the wiring out of the walls. If there are copper pipes under the house, they'll gank that too. Most crawl spaces and hvac units etc aren't secured at all. That has to change, copper is pretty valuable these days (ask anyone who buys bulk ammo)
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:05 pm

squinty wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:Thanks to a bunch of recent incidents in Lexington, KY:

This up here ^ times a thousand. This happens with depressing regularity in my AO to every house that stands vacant for even a day. Sometimes they'll break in and tear the wiring out of the walls. If there are copper pipes under the house, they'll gank that too. Most crawl spaces and hvac units etc aren't secured at all. That has to change, copper is pretty valuable these days (ask anyone who buys bulk ammo)
Copper's not the only thing going up. Just about every scrap metal out there is going up fast. Thieves are not only breaking into people's yards to steal the bikes or the lawnmower, they are stealing the FENCE as well! Any house trailer that stays empty for more than a day or so gets stripped of it's copper pretty quick like squinty said, in my AO, the thieves will come back and steal the metal siding and roofing. Hell, the next county over saw a empty trailer completely stripped down to the frame. Then they cut up the frame and hauled IT off.

Cemeteries and homes with wrought-iron fencing are prime sources of heavy iron, and a good long fence is worth a lot in metal salvage. Scrapping a junk car can net you $300+, and the thieves aren't above stealing cars for scrap as well. The electricity and telecom infrastructure in my area is old, and we sometimes get service outages because someone decided to shoot down and steal a few miles of power or phone line.

Aluminum is up big, too. I do business with a lot of the scrap/recycling yards in my AO. Every one of them are saying that they are getting a lot more people showing up to sell things like extension ladders, bike frames, gutters, downspouts, flashing, and trim that couldn't explain where they got the stuff. My boss had a $1500 metal break (a tool used to bend fascia, trim, and flashing during construction and renovation) stolen. Not because it was worth $1500 to a contractor, but because it was worth $180 bucks in aluminum salvage. The local LEOs recovered it from a salvage yard.

The value of scrap metals are on the rise, and the thieves and addicts know all about it. A professional auto thief may not steal your broken-down-blown-engine project car because it's not valuable as a car, but a desperate addict will try to steal it because it's valuable as scrap.

I urge you all to take a look at your homes and properties with this in mind.

ETA: A couple of years ago, my AO had a rash of catalytic converter thefts (On your car's exhaust, between the muffler and the exhaust manifold). Might want to keep an eye on those, too.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

john917v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, Romero movies

Post by john917v » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:55 am

Were they extracting the platinum from the catalytic converters?

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 am

john917v wrote:Were they extracting the platinum from the catalytic converters?
They were selling the converters directly to the the salvage dealers.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 am

Something that happens from time to time around here is that people put stickers on their cars showing membership in gun/hunting clubs. Bad guys see these stickers on cars parked in the woods during hunting season, then track the owners adress down through the DMV. This way they know both that there are likely guns stored in the house and that you're not home.

Note that Sweden has strict gun control, and no armed self defense.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

flip

Post by flip » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Woody187 wrote:
Dragonetti wrote:Can I just use the keys to claw/stab the intruder?

That Knome says "your awesome!!" Where did you get that???
I never post..... but I'm in the process of attempting to convince my wife that we need a $70 zombie garden gnome in our front yard.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/dougfx?ref=seller_info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cobra6987

Post by cobra6987 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:39 pm

There's also another thing that's like OC, It's called HEAT. instead of aiming for the eyes directly, you aim center mass and the cloud from it moves up into the attackers face. This stuff can cause 3rd degree burns and it is commercially available.
Presisdent: ZSC:041

Pomegrante

Post by Pomegrante » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:58 pm

I think if I ever post some good tips I'll leave out weaponry so people read my tips and not be so conserned about one of my more than 13 suggestions...

TXwaterdog
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, Shawn of the Dead, I'm more a fan of apocalyptic movies than Zombie movies. I'm not much of a horror fan. Hobo With a Shotgun, book of Eli, Mad Max...

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Post by TXwaterdog » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:40 am

These are some really great tips that everyone should know. As far as the Wasp Spray, good point, we all have to think outside the box when something like this is going down. Legal or not it's better than being dead/assaulted or made to watch as a loved one is assaulted. Besides, Wasp Spray might work on zombies as well.. a blind zombie is a less threatening zombie.
"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”