13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

lostwithagps

Re: 13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Post by lostwithagps » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 am

you could leave a few body sprays around the house, like axe or the like. axe is probable one of the worst things ive gotten in my eye. i dont think they could say you it meant for the bg. i leave these things everywhere without meaning to.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:38 pm

An outstanding review of axe body spray, and it's ability to drive people away!
I'm just afraid I might squirt some on my body by mistake! :lol:

ETA: too bad there's not an actual "AXE" spray. Like where you press the button and genie like, a nice big fire axe flies out of the can. It could have a picture of Jack Nicholson on the label....
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Sogoronin wrote:
midnightreign wrote:RIP, big funny man. Could have been unconsciously an influence on my choice of words... I'd say very probably.
Ummmm, I don't believe john goodman, or his character he played are dead.
Still here, and looking pretty darn good.
[Well, I tried to fix the photo]
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

midnightreign
Favorite Zombie Movies: Flight of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by midnightreign » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:18 pm

One post and I promise no more off-topic:

I would have sworn on *my* life that he was gone. What a wonderful surprise.

HazeyWolf
BANNED

Post by HazeyWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:21 pm

"I''m truly sorry! Here is your property returned, plus a little extra to cover damages and suffering. I'm placing my-self in police custody now, and will peacefully pay for my crimes, reform my ways, become a productive member of our community and vow never to harm another or steal ever again, so help me God..."

HazeyWolf
BANNED

Post by HazeyWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:23 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:
Sogoronin wrote:
midnightreign wrote:RIP, big funny man. Could have been unconsciously an influence on my choice of words... I'd say very probably.
Ummmm, I don't believe john goodman, or his character he played are dead.
Still here, and looking pretty darn good.
Or... he could be a ZOMBIE!

SgtJeep

Post by SgtJeep » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:50 am

dukman wrote:I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.

Then shoot the threat until it isn't a threat anymore!

Necropost! But that needed to be said.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Just found this post:

Great tips on the car keys and wasp spray - it seems like many forumites found those especially useful.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

evergreen

Post by evergreen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:23 pm

dukman wrote:I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.
I know this much...I could care less about the label...and i will tell a jury the truth..hell yes i intended to use it as a weapon and hell yes i intended to hurt him with it...and with the chair and the screwdriver and the gun and any damn thing else i could find...he broke into my house and was possibly going to harm my family or me and i bet you would do the same or....would you rather step back and see what happens?
I will always take that approach...to any thing i see as potentially harmful to my family...uncle sam taught me to always be prepared and i am...with foresight intelligence and the ability to improvise with anything...up to and including raid...i taught my wife/daughter/mother and sisters how to do the same thing...as well as using anything else they can find...and i'll teach it to any one who needs it...there would be less crime against persons if more persons were prepared for crime...
Keep America Beautiful-close the damn door!

Melkor

Post by Melkor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Great topic. Common sense told me most of it but more information and then confirmation is never a bad thing.

I'll stick with my home deterrent. If you break in while I'm here the last thing you need to worry about is wasp spray.

First there is the 350 lbs of fur and teeth that will greet you.

Then comes a man who is well armed and ready. Or if you hurt the dogs, a man who is pissed and looking to kill. just sayin...

jakesway

Post by jakesway » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:42 pm

thats so true about human nature man, weve got to hear it twice to act.

soemthing that i laught at is what people think of car alarms now, when you hear a car alarm what do you do? nothing! exactly. its more like.. everyone look at me here i forgot to unlock the driver door before my passenger door on this crap car of mine and now its yelling at me.

sonicg

Post by sonicg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:08 am

dukman wrote:
I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.

I will articulate that I was in fear of my life or the life / well being of my family and wasp spray, a hammer, a lamp, or anything else in my reach was used in the defence of my person and my family. I am horribly sorry that the bad guy made a VERY poor choice when he decided to enter my house illegally. It is a shame that in the commission of the felony that he was committing just by being there, let alone the felony that he may or may not have premeditated once he was in my dwelling. Not knowing his intentions, I was compelled to protect myself in what ever way I was able too. He may have to live with the consequences of his bad decisions. If that is perm. blindness, then I would guess that is better then whatever the bad guy would do to me...
if i may I would like to refer to the "Make My Day law" currently in effect in Colorado (I don't know about other states) when somebody enters you're home/territory (i.e., your property) without permission you reserve the right to kill/harm said person on the spot. i can attest to this cause i was almost charged with disorderly conduct and assault with a deadly weapon when a kid decided to egg my house.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 am

sonicg wrote:
dukman wrote:
I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.

I will articulate that I was in fear of my life or the life / well being of my family and wasp spray, a hammer, a lamp, or anything else in my reach was used in the defence of my person and my family. I am horribly sorry that the bad guy made a VERY poor choice when he decided to enter my house illegally. It is a shame that in the commission of the felony that he was committing just by being there, let alone the felony that he may or may not have premeditated once he was in my dwelling. Not knowing his intentions, I was compelled to protect myself in what ever way I was able too. He may have to live with the consequences of his bad decisions. If that is perm. blindness, then I would guess that is better then whatever the bad guy would do to me...
if i may I would like to refer to the "Make My Day law" currently in effect in Colorado (I don't know about other states) when somebody enters you're home/territory (i.e., your property) without permission you reserve the right to kill/harm said person on the spot. i can attest to this cause i was almost charged with disorderly conduct and assault with a deadly weapon when a kid decided to egg my house.
There are no "make my day" laws. There are "stand your ground" or "castle doctrine" laws. Opponents of such laws have labelled (mis-characterized) them as "make my day" laws. These laws do not give you carte blanche to kill whoever comes onto your property. For lethal force to be justified the person on your property must still pose a reasonable threat of death, sexual assault or grievous bodily harm.

Stand your ground/castle doctrine laws remove the need for the homeowner/defender to prove his actions were defensive. They shift that burden of proof back onto the prosecution, who must prove that the action was not defensive - ie criminal - in order to secure a conviction. They also indemnify the defender against subsequent lawsuits, if the defender is found to have acted legally and appropriately when using lethal force. That's a far cry from "you reserve the right to kill them on the spot." No law permits that, and no sane person would celebrate a law that did.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

pickledog

Post by pickledog » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:09 am

Big D wrote:The wasp spray is probably bad advice. It clearly states on the can that it is a crime to use that product in a manner other than what it is intended for. The companies that make OC make some pretty good products these days that can shoot just as far as those wasp sprays can.

As far as the other statements they all sounded petty good. One thing I read somewhere not too long ago was not to have any liquor or wine bottles in plain view through your windows or where solicitors could see them when you answer your door. This was something I had never considered but it makes sense. Many residential burglaries are committed by teenagers who would love to score a bottle or two of booze.

Another trick I've heard, especially for women who may live alone or with other women. Put a large pair of work boots outside the front door. It makes it look like there is a man ho lives there and he may be home.

Oh another thing I forgot to add. If you have an attached garage and you don't park in it all the time don't leave your garage door opener in your vehicle. Bad guys break into your car and grab the opener and walk right into your casa.

man ho - Intentional or not, that`s funny. :lol:

madwolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Days of Darkness!

Post by madwolf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:34 pm

squinty wrote: There are no "make my day" laws. There are "stand your ground" or "castle doctrine" laws. Opponents of such laws have labelled (mis-characterized) them as "make my day" laws. These laws do not give you carte blanche to kill whoever comes onto your property.
With respect, you are wrong.

In Colorado the law in question (which is commonly referred to as "make my day" not just by opponnents) states that as long as someone is on your property and presents any physical threat, and I quote "no matter how slight", then you may use force up to and including lethal force with full authority of the law and full immunity from criminal prosecution.

No shit. I lived there for the last five years and was briefed on the lay by a lawyer during my CCW class, also, here's a link to the law:
[urlhttp://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/sheriff_u ... atutes.htm][/url]
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

squinty

Post by squinty » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:37 pm

madwolf wrote:
squinty wrote: There are no "make my day" laws. There are "stand your ground" or "castle doctrine" laws. Opponents of such laws have labelled (mis-characterized) them as "make my day" laws. These laws do not give you carte blanche to kill whoever comes onto your property.
With respect, you are wrong.

In Colorado the law in question (which is commonly referred to as "make my day" not just by opponnents) states that as long as someone is on your property and presents any physical threat, and I quote "no matter how slight", then you may use force up to and including lethal force with full authority of the law and full immunity from criminal prosecution.

No shit. I lived there for the last five years and was briefed on the lay by a lawyer during my CCW class, also, here's a link to the law:
[urlhttp://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/sheriff_u ... atutes.htm][/url]
OK, I am wrong. Thanks for the link and the information!

Still it doesn't quite give carte carte blanche to kill anyone on your property though, does it? It still maintains that there must be fear of some crime in addition to the break-in, and reasonable fear that the intruder would use force against you.
Which is not how the poster I responded to interpreted the law.

In my AO the law is a bit schizophrenic. It stipulates that you can use any necessary force up to and including lethal force to prevent a home invasion. It also states that you can use lethal force against a home invader within your dwelling if you believe him to pose a threat of death, grievous harm or sexual assault (same standard as anywhere else) and specifies that there is no duty to retreat in the home.
In my CCW class we wracked our brains trying to imagine a scenario where someone who broke into an occupied house could not reasonably be considered to pose such a threat, simply by having broken in while you're home.
We came up with:
-a surrendering man who proned out on your command (I personally would never risk apprehending or holding a home invader at gunpoint.) -someone who broke in and subsequently passed out in your house and remained unconscious, or
-someone clearly in the act of fleeing or exiting the home (and not 'fleeing' down the hall to where your kids were asleep.)
Except for the surrendering guy, most of what we came up with probably wouldn't have presented any threat at all and might not have met the "however slight" standard spelled out in your state's law.

The law you linked:
Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.
My state's law:
(a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using any degree of force that the occupant reasonably believes is necessary, including deadly force, against an intruder to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry (i) if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or (ii) if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence.

(b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder in the circumstances described in this section.
No immunity from prosecution or civil suit in my state. So in my state it isn't quite castle doctrine, but that might change.

NightWatch
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead....the walking dead

Post by NightWatch » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:39 pm

hawk55732 wrote:Unfortunatly, now days you would probably lose and have to pay money to the burgalar. Thats the sad state that our legal system has come to.

Please do not believe that , and dont spread that terrible rumor around. Good people have every legal right to defend themselves and there family. Please go to the NRA website a read the many many stories of self defence. Also scope out the dogbrothers.com , forums..remeber " We the people " , Im not trying to hate on you or flame you Hawk I just dont want people to die or get hurt by that type of brainwashing. "they" want you to feel that way , baddies and some not so bad. The baddies say that stuff so they dont get jacked up , when they do a B and E , or worse when they get in your space. And the not so bad people want to say/believe that so they dont have to have the job of defending them self or another. Go watch some youtube videos of crimes in public how oftern do people help one another if they dont have to. And some of it is cowardice of physical harm or pain ansd some of it is the hit in the wallet they are scared of. anyways I think you get my point.
"A knifeless man , is a lifeless man" -old Nordic proverb.

NightWatch
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead....the walking dead

Post by NightWatch » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Melkor wrote:Great topic. Common sense told me most of it but more information and then confirmation is never a bad thing.

I'll stick with my home deterrent. If you break in while I'm here the last thing you need to worry about is wasp spray.

Then comes a man who is well armed and ready. Or if you hurt the dogs, a man who is pissed and looking to kill. just sayin...
haha awesome dogs and pic. One thing I have heard is that if they still have the balls to go to a house like your they bring steaks or something. sometimes they will go and sorta befriend your dogs if they are in your yard or whatever. remember " dogs are dumb. " So watch out for that stuff to.
"A knifeless man , is a lifeless man" -old Nordic proverb.

Melkor

Post by Melkor » Sun May 22, 2011 3:19 pm

NightWatch wrote:
Melkor wrote:Great topic. Common sense told me most of it but more information and then confirmation is never a bad thing.

haha awesome dogs and pic. One thing I have heard is that if they still have the balls to go to a house like your they bring steaks or something. sometimes they will go and sorta befriend your dogs if they are in your yard or whatever. remember " dogs are dumb. " So watch out for that stuff to.
Train your dogs for "quite time", the time of the day/night that nothing should be moving around outside and to let you know if there is something. These were trained that way. You can bring all the food you want and they will be happy to eat it, but I'll get the advance warning that someone or thing is outside (as these are obviously house dogs). Even family/friends can't come by the house at these times and not set the dogs off.

tazmanny

Post by tazmanny » Sun May 22, 2011 3:57 pm

I Would like to add something here.

In some messed up places (states, counties, etc) the burglar can actually file a lawsuit if they get injured while breaking in.

The insurance on the house will cover those kind of injuries under the Liability clause. Say for example:

Neighbor's kid breaks into your yard and jumps to the pool from a nearby tool shed and breaks a knee. The home insurance liability up to $100,000 or $300,000 depending on your limit will cover it.

- When I got my insurance agent's license I was told that an intruder or anyone on your roof who was still uninvited and tried to break in and fell from the roof would also be covered. I disagree and dislike this like you have no idea, but is the way the insurance law works. They just cover those injuries even though they were not guests on your house.

I assume a judge and jury would make the final decision here and turn away these frivolous claims but it can happen. Wasp spray is an idea I go all in for if you have no other medium range ways of self defense. However, someone on your lawn goes to knock on your door at 3:00AM and you pop out of a window and spray the bastard after telling him to go away, the intruder could lie and say he was approaching to ask about directions or a glass of water and you simply jumped on him and sprayed him. This could land you a liability lawsuit and they could win it if the judges and jury on the case were retarded (some times they are).

Anyone with better knowledge than me, please come forward and contradict me if you have a way to prove me wrong. I did my license 4 years ago and have been out of the insurance industry for 1 year and a half. I will not say my post is absolute, and some stuff may have changed or could have been misunderstood by me. My apologies if any of the information given here by me is incorrect.

*Disclaimer, do not be fooled by my post! - Next to my bed are 3 full sized knifes, 2 samurai swords, 1 AMD 65 AK47 variant and 1 CZ82 both fully loaded. (Everyone in my house has a weapon at arms reach) No intruder will be given the chance to harm anyone here. Let the intruder's family say he was a good boy/guy/girl and call us unfair for shooting anyone with bad intentions if we fear our lives. Even if the legal system covers injuries to those breaking in our homes does not mean I Will hold back and not fulfill my self defense duty.
https://sites.google.com/site/simunomicsguide
Can you beat a Business Simulation game if you played against real people?

armydawg11b

Post by armydawg11b » Wed May 25, 2011 6:21 pm

FOX spray (if legal in your area, it should be.) You can buy the cone shaped nozzle for multiple attackers, or a straight stream one for a one threat kinda day. FOX will shoot almost just as far a the dang wasp spray and is intended to put someone down, and it does so VERY VERY WELL! No legal ramifications like the wasp spray. Here is another thought. THE 21 FOOT RULE! this says that if an attacker is withing 21 foot of you , you probably wont have time to draw your weapon and return effective fire. Its the same for freakin self defense sprays. If they are withing that radius you better have a damn good back up plan b/c you are about to enter the unforgiving realm of hand to hand combat. For everyone, EVERYONE, I recommend krav maga the Israeli defense force's fighting system. It works. This comes from a well versed martial artist, military vet (Army) ,and a SERIOUS self-defense student and teacher. I also would like for you to check out my book DON'T BE A VICTIM. on lulu.com. It is an Ebook and I have only published my rough draft. When I finish this deployment ( one day!) I will be publishing the full version. Stay safe folks.
Be willing to be called a terrorist in order to be a true patriot.

undeaddeadguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by undeaddeadguy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:38 pm

4. I'm not complaining, but why would you pay all that money for a fancy Alarm system and leave your house without setting it?
Ugh, this. Folks do it a lot when they know they'll be out for an hour. Always put it on when leaving, no matter how long you're out.

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:26 am

tazmanny wrote:I Would like to add something here.

In some messed up places (states, counties, etc) the burglar can actually file a lawsuit if they get injured while breaking in.
That's the way it is in Sweden. Also if your dog injures an intruder you're liable and you'll possibly loose the dog.

If YOU injure the intruder you might end up in jail for assault. If you use wasp spray or any other implement they can argue that you prepared it witch makes it something like premeditated assault, possibly attempted manslaughter.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

mac66

Post by mac66 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:49 pm

Ever get wasp spray in you eyes? I have accidentally. Yes it burns and is uncomfortable but it is not incapacitating. I've been pepper sprayed many times to show people it's effects. It is very uncomfortable but will not stop a determined attack. If you have time to pick up a can of spray, aim it and actually hit them with it, then you have time to pick up a gun and shoot the SOB.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”