13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Richter

Re: 13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Post by Richter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:21 pm

I wouldn't use wasp spray

http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/06/odd ... _1522.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:41 pm

I wouldn't use a baseball bat or a MagLite or a kitchen knife or a lawn dart either to defend myself because none of these objects were intended for self-defense and I might get sued if I use them to defend myself, my wife and my kids against an aggressive intruder hell bent on robbing and killing us during a home-invasion..... :roll:

Good thing everyone in my family carries firearms and Cold Steel knives huh? I guess I could grab my 30 inch custom Kukri off the wall and just lop his head off if I needed to because that was designed to be a weapon :!: :lol:
Last edited by ODA 226 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

taskforce71

Post by taskforce71 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:24 am

Another tip from a reformed pickpocket: when traveling, NEVER put your home address on the luggage tags. This guy said he didn't steal luggage but pretended to look and went "Oh, not my bag." He memorized the address and broke into the house. Last three trips I took, I never put my address on them either.

And one last thing, English is becoming more of a global language. When traveling, never ever assume that nobody understands English just because you're in Paris, Milan or Moscow, etc. You might accidentally blurt out information at a taxi driver about where you stay. Then the burglar breaks into your hotel room when you're conducting your business AWAY from the room. One comment I overheard a few of my naive fellow Americans say was that they're astounded how many Germans can speak English while traveling in Berlin, Frankfurt, Duesseldorf, etc. And German pickpockets are very slick. PS: about the taxi: say the address of your hotel AFTER you close the cab door and roll up the window.

bloodpet

Post by bloodpet » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:11 am

Hehe, that is a very good advice.

You wouldn't know how many funny conversations I was already listening to while on the train, when Americans or Englishmen thought nobody in a foreign county can understand them, because they are using that fancy enigma-machine - called "English".

Best part was when a couple talked about very private stuff they were planning in the hotel and then where discussing where they had to go from the train-station. I just walked up to them and told them the way. The woman looked quite a bit shocked, because she knew I was sitting face towards them the whole travel. :wink:
Suum Cuique

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:25 am

One thing I used to do with cabs in the middle east was have them drop me somewhere within a block of my apartment building and I would walk the rest of the way. Mostly I would do this if the cabby seemed dodgy in any way.

I would start out my ride with asking to be talken to the district I lived in. Then as the ride progressed if the driver seemed ok I would start giving more and more specific directions. If he set off my scumbag meter the directions were less specific. I one time had a taxi drop me off a block away facing the oposite direction form my aparment and I ducked into the back alleys and took them back to my building because the driver just seemed really off.

I also inststed on sitting in the front passenger seat so I could take over the wheel if I felt it was necessary. Thankfully I never felt the need to, but I made sure I had the option. It helped that I (being a normal sized American) was a lot bigger then 99% of the middleeastern and third world types there.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Aikibiker wrote:One thing I used to do with cabs in the middle east was have them drop me somewhere within a block of my apartment building and I would walk the rest of the way. Mostly I would do this if the cabby seemed dodgy in any way.

I would start out my ride with asking to be talken to the district I lived in. Then as the ride progressed if the driver seemed ok I would start giving more and more specific directions. If he set off my scumbag meter the directions were less specific. I one time had a taxi drop me off a block away facing the oposite direction form my aparment and I ducked into the back alleys and took them back to my building because the driver just seemed really off.

I also inststed on sitting in the front passenger seat so I could take over the wheel if I felt it was necessary. Thankfully I never felt the need to, but I made sure I had the option. It helped that I (being a normal sized American) was a lot bigger then 99% of the middleeastern and third world types there.
This is a good plan. However what I suggest is if you going to be in a shit hole for any length of time find a trustworthy cabdriver to be on call. Pay him well and treat him him well after you think you can trust him. Use only this cab driver if you can. The key is finding a cab driver you can trust. You may have to try several before you run into the right one. This also gives you local you can ask about various local places.

This is what I look for in a driver:
Cab drivers who keep pictures of their kids/grandkids visible.
Female cab drivers where applicable.
Cab Drivers who own their own cabs.

Chat with them and watch their body languages. Start with asking about whatever picture they have on the dash. They have it there for you to see so his answer should be the most practiced and relaxed. Go from there.

Ask if they are available to pick you up for a return trip. Set a time, tell them to be prompt. Tip them well this should result in a positive reaction so you can judge their reaction.

See if they are prompt but keep them waiting 10 or 15 minutes. This should irritate them so you can judge their reaction irritated. Again tip them well when you drop them off so you can judge the change in body language assuming they are not too pissed off.

Give him your business for a few trips and see how it goes. You will either trust him or find out you cannot trust him.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:23 pm

raptor wrote:
Aikibiker wrote:One thing I used to do with cabs in the middle east was have them drop me somewhere within a block of my apartment building and I would walk the rest of the way. Mostly I would do this if the cabby seemed dodgy in any way.

This is a good plan. However what I suggest is if you going to be in a shit hole for any length of time find a trustworthy cabdriver to be on call. Pay him well and treat him him well. Use only this cab driver if you can. The key is finding a cab driver you can trust. You may have to try several before you run into the right one. This also gives you local you can ask about various local places.
It took a lot of painful experience before I finally started listening to my scumbag-o-meter. You naturally don't want to be mean, you don't want to prejudge, you don't want to be rude or seem paranoid - and all those impulses have led me to dismiss that little warning, apprehensive sensation on a couple of occasions. With bad results.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:45 pm

I did eventually find a good cab driver. Unfortunately being a good cab driver, he wasn't always available to haul me around so it was back to the old routine.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Spookadelic

Post by Spookadelic » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Call me noob but this is the first time I ever heard of the wasp spray thing.

As far as keeping it on your bedstand, next to the door, I like most posters disagree with this, get a tool instead designed for the job.

However, many of us cant take the tools designed for the job everywhere we go. For example in the OP's anecdote the receptionist at the church may have be unable to have "weapons" at church (not authorized, forbidden by their moral code, etc). If the lady at the church is similar to the church receptionist I have seen before (old - never raised a hand in their life or had a violent thought) then wasp spray might be the only stand off "weapon" suitable for her.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Krustofski wrote:How about:

"How reasonable and wise of you to back up all your data, in case your computer goes belly-up. Thing is, when I break into your house and steal your PC, I will take your expensive-looking external harddrive as well."

Alternative title: Why a fellow student missed the deadline for his thesis. Just saying.
That's why I email a copy of all papers to my Hotmail account. If those go missing as well then I know I'm on someone's hit list. :)
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:31 pm

Spookadelic wrote:Call me noob but this is the first time I ever heard of the wasp spray thing.

As far as keeping it on your bedstand, next to the door, I like most posters disagree with this, get a tool instead designed for the job.

However, many of us cant take the tools designed for the job everywhere we go. For example in the OP's anecdote the receptionist at the church may have be unable to have "weapons" at church (not authorized, forbidden by their moral code, etc). If the lady at the church is similar to the church receptionist I have seen before (old - never raised a hand in their life or had a violent thought) then wasp spray might be the only stand off "weapon" suitable for her.
Last time I had to use wasp spray - on a wasp nest in my eaves - the little bastards flew out and stung me.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

EllenDee

Post by EllenDee » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:27 pm

NapTime wrote:"Thank you for putting your spare key under the mat / under(in) the flowerpot / in the same fake rock everyone else has / on the hook 4 feet from the door."

I really want one of those fake rock things! I figure if I put a fake set of keys in it, the burglar will waste lots of time pointlessly trying to unlock the front door. It might even take them long enough they get nervous and decide to leave. At the very least, it's good for a laugh....

squinty

Post by squinty » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 pm

There's a key under the mat in front of my house... but of course that's just my decoy house....
(thread about decoy safes or "sucker safes")

Gingersam

Post by Gingersam » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:07 pm

raptor wrote: This is what I look for in a driver:
Cab drivers who keep pictures of their kids/grandkids visible.
Female cab drivers where applicable.
Cab Drivers who own their own cabs.
That is a really bad idea. You want to book taxis from reputable and licensed firms and never get into a taxi from the street even if it is just because they cost more. Also on the picture front it can all be part of the con. How would you know they really are his children/grandchildren?

I know plenty of horror stories of rapes including a guy being thrown out of a moving taxi involving unlicensed taxi's.

real2all
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, Resident Evils, Dawn of the Dead,

Post by real2all » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Using Wasp spray for a defensive purpose is a great idea. Some people are worried about using the contents in a other way may constitute a violation of some law. I work at a Prison and some of the "inmates" that are incarcerated there are there for drug related offences. The inmates told me how they use Wasp spray for the production of some types of illegal substances. That is what I believe what is meant by using this product a different way may be a violation of law. Your not altering the substance and not introducing any other chemicals to produce a new substance, your keeping the product in the can the same and not tampering with it.
Besides in a life and death situation what court would say you acted unreasonable. I know the court system is over worked but come on, if you were on a jury would you say a person was guilty of a crime, if that person was only trying to protect his/her self or family from being assaulted or killed?
IF YOU CAN'T SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, YOU CAN NEVER MEAN WHAT YOU SAY, THE ATTENTIONS ARE IN THE DETAILS.

Power Fail

Post by Power Fail » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:36 pm

real2all wrote:Using Wasp spray for a defensive purpose is a great idea. Some people are worried about using the contents in a other way may constitute a violation of some law. I work at a Prison and some of the "inmates" that are incarcerated there are there for drug related offences. The inmates told me how they use Wasp spray for the production of some types of illegal substances. That is what I believe what is meant by using this product a different way may be a violation of law. Your not altering the substance and not introducing any other chemicals to produce a new substance, your keeping the product in the can the same and not tampering with it.
Besides in a life and death situation what court would say you acted unreasonable. I know the court system is over worked but come on, if you were on a jury would you say a person was guilty of a crime, if that person was only trying to protect his/her self or family from being assaulted or killed?
First, I agree that the warning is indeed talking about using it for drug related/illegal purposes.

I also agree that if someone was trying to murder you and all you could grab was wasp spray, and somehow your attacker died, that would be viewed as reasonable.

Neither of those two things mean that "using wasp spray for a defensive purpose is a great idea." Just because I wouldn't be breaking the law by using a crow bar to dig a hole instead of a shovel, and to an extent, I could indeed dig a hole with a crow bar, doesn't mean it's a great idea.
JamesCannon wrote:I think he's also forgotten more about spelling and grammar than ... well it just seems he's forgotten a lot about it.
DannusMaximus wrote:Few things are more win than saving the day with something that other people think you're weird for hauling around. 8)

Dedsquirrl
Favorite Zombie Movies: Bubba's Chili Parlor
Dawn of the Dead
Outpost (Not sure if it qualifies)
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Dedsquirrl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:54 am

That car key thing is awesome and I can't believe I have never thought of it before.
I am heading to Home Depot in a bit and I am adding a Key Ring Strip to the list.

Motion Lights. Check.
Firearms. Check.
2 85lb dogs. Check.

Always like adding one more thing to the deterrent list.

"The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'"
Edd Tollett

corrsk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land, day of the dead, resident evil (all of them)

Post by corrsk » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:23 pm

such a small world. I went to high school at northview in sylvania ohio. southview was my highschools rival.

midnightreign
Favorite Zombie Movies: Flight of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by midnightreign » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:24 pm

"And thanks for not planting heavy-duty thorny plants like roses and pyracanth under your ground-floor windows. I really like not having to wade through a wall of pain to enter that one out-of-the-way window."

squinty

Post by squinty » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:21 pm

midnightreign wrote:"And thanks for not planting heavy-duty thorny plants like roses and pyracanth under your ground-floor windows. I really like not having to wade through a wall of pain to enter that one out-of-the-way window."
Just begs for a Walter Sobchak joke.

Agent

Post by Agent » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Skinny wrote: Cool, thanks for leaving that ladder laying around in your backyard, I think I will try the second story window.
This happened to my parents house when I was a kid. Of course there wasn't anything to steal, all they got was a jar of change. :lol:

The ladder is now kept in a shed, it doesn't lock or anything, but at least it's out of sight.
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

squinty

Post by squinty » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm

If you climb in that window...

midnightreign
Favorite Zombie Movies: Flight of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by midnightreign » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:15 am

RIP, big funny man. Could have been unconsciously an influence on my choice of words... I'd say very probably.

Sogoronin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days

Post by Sogoronin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 am

midnightreign wrote:RIP, big funny man. Could have been unconsciously an influence on my choice of words... I'd say very probably.

Ummmm, I don't believe john goodman, or his character he played are dead.
"The Darkness must be fed."- Mac
"It's better have and not need than to need and not have.
I'd rather be a Student of Reality than a Master of Fantasy.

MS in Info Sys Sec
Future Litigator for the Prosecution

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”