13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Pandion
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOD

Re: 13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Post by Pandion » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:20 pm

As a law student i can tell ya that there's a huge difference between the law on paper and the law in actual fact. I don't know about where you live but here in Malta defending your house at night from unauthorised murder is EXCUSABLE, during the day the charge is LESSENED BY 2 DEGREES. So i would'nt worry to much about wasp spray...

If your situation is different i still wouldn't worry too much. If he's blind, how will he identify you as the person who sprayed him?

Is this the same forum which in another topic everyone was saying he'd kill a couple of kids if they attempted to mug him with a weapon?

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:02 pm

dukman wrote:I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.

Something you way want to consider:

Many states with castle laws/stand your ground laws not only give you legal amnesty if you have to defend yourself, they also provide you with CIVIL amnesty as well. Kentucky's does. What that means is if you blind someone with wasp spray after they've broken into your home, they don't have the right to file suit against you. Of course, as always, check your local laws, YMMV
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

hondo

Post by hondo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 pm

ODA 226 wrote:I have to jump in here. I'm a (semi) retired Billy Bad Ass. I've been fighting assholes my entire life from NYC to Iraq. From Iraq to Belgrade. From Albania to Sarajevo. At 50 + I just quit my night job working as a bouncer at one of the most ghetto establishments in the Tidewater Area of Virginia.

I have and will continue to use ANYTHING and EVERYTHING at my immediate disposal to eliminate ANYONE that threatens my life or the lives of those I love.

I have used ashtrays, chairs, tables, pool cues, pool balls, D-cell MagLights, baseball bats, a Lawn Dart, knives, rope, aquariums, firearms, cars, bottles, beer mugs, darts, candles, other peoples heads, jackets, boards, boiling oil, coffee pots, a toilet seat, moonshine rakija and a lighter, cans of food, nails and a whole bunch of other shit to make sure that I went home that night and the badguy(s) didn't.

I don't give a damn about warning labels. I just give a damn about eliminating the threat. Save your life first, worry about legal actions later.
ODA I fell your pain , I fought in Beograd and Sarajevo too and left and right and in between from there , every time with some 5,5" to 6 feet tall , 130 to 170 pounds girl who wanted to sexually abuse me and I lost a fight every single time. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adbgH1Rk ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdFfTMNn ... re=related

ODA this clips are for you reminder on the old days. 8)

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:29 pm

Yeah the girls over there are killers...That's why I married one! :wink:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

mike2010

Post by mike2010 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Wasp spray for self defense is a bad idea. Stick with the Pepper Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans. Wasp Spray will NOT work on those who cannot feel pain i.e. drugs or alcohol. Pepper Spray is an inflammatory which will cause the eyes to slam shut no matter the situation. That’s why over 40,000 law enforcement agencies carry it nationwide and even the smallest canisters will fire 10 ft while the larger will canisters will fire 25 to 30 ft.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 pm

I think most here are in agreement with you mike... Now go check in at the introduction section!

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:05 pm

interesting thread. I don't have the hidden key because a.) I live in an apartment. b.) it's stupid.

Instead, I give keys to people I trust which is my husband's grandparents.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:26 pm

We have a battery push-button code deadbolt... LOVE it! 8 digit code, no key to loose or need to copy for friends/family. The thing was maybe $70 at the depot, not much more than a standard qualty door lock, worth double the price imho. Powered by 4 aa bats, replace every 6 mo.or so.

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:45 am

I think a lot of the posts are conflating robbery with home invasion. If we believe the sources of the original post, then we have to assume that the burglar prefers to hit empty homes. Of course they make mistakes, but, assuming you follow the instructions from any CCW class and yell out your rehearsed one line "stop, I've got a gun, I WILL shoot you, do not proceed, the police are on their way", you've given many burglars a reason not to proceed.

Also, if you live in an urban city, there are alternate versions of some of this information.

To all the Billy Badassess out there: if we're into preparedness, then we all pretty much agree that we'd do what we need to survive a situation. That being said, "dealing with the legal implications later" might mean, figuratively, working for someone else for the rest of your life in an attempt to pay off a judgment with fines or damages that are many times what you make per year.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:14 pm

jnathan wrote: "dealing with the legal implications later" might mean, figuratively, working for someone else for the rest of your life in an attempt to pay off a judgment with fines or damages that are many times what you make per year.
QFT

yale

Post by yale » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:37 am

I've also seen the wasp spray idea before but prefer to rely on my Ruger 9mm. My lady, who has health issues which keep her at home, keeps a duplicate 9mm on her bedside table next to her cell phone. She's home all the time unless she is at a doctors appointment which only happens once ever 6 months or so. We live in Louisiana which is a Castle Doctrine state so we have some legal protection from home invaders. Something just as important is to prepare in advance for a justified shooting by consulting with a lawyer.
jnathan wrote:
"dealing with the legal implications later" might mean, figuratively, working for someone else for the rest of your life in an attempt to pay off a judgment with fines or damages that are many times what you make per year.
This is very true but you can lessen the chances by finding a lawyer ahead of time. In my case I have signed up with a lawyer based out of Houma, La who is progun and offers what he calls the Louisiana Armed Citizen Plan. For $5 a month he will be there should you be involved in a legal shooting. http://allison-allison.com/LACP/2010/11 ... it-raised/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . He offers up to $10K of services to members of the plan plus other services.
Many CHP courses tell you, after a shooting to call 911, tell the police basically what happened and that you want to cooperate but want to consult with your lawyer before making any statements. How many people have found a lawyer to call if something should happen? I have and I recommend that everyone do the same.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:48 am

yale wrote:I've also seen the wasp spray idea before but prefer to rely on my Ruger 9mm. My lady, who has health issues which keep her at home, keeps a duplicate 9mm on her bedside table next to her cell phone. She's home all the time unless she is at a doctors appointment which only happens once ever 6 months or so. We live in Louisiana which is a Castle Doctrine state so we have some legal protection from home invaders. Something just as important is to prepare in advance for a justified shooting by consulting with a lawyer.
jnathan wrote:
"dealing with the legal implications later" might mean, figuratively, working for someone else for the rest of your life in an attempt to pay off a judgment with fines or damages that are many times what you make per year.
This is very true but you can lessen the chances by finding a lawyer ahead of time. In my case I have signed up with a lawyer based out of Houma, La who is progun and offers what he calls the Louisiana Armed Citizen Plan. For $5 a month he will be there should you be involved in a legal shooting. http://allison-allison.com/LACP/2010/11 ... it-raised/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . He offers up to $10K of services to members of the plan plus other services.
Many CHP courses tell you, after a shooting to call 911, tell the police basically what happened and that you want to cooperate but want to consult with your lawyer before making any statements. How many people have found a lawyer to call if something should happen? I have and I recommend that everyone do the same.
That's some nice cover you've got on your ass, my friend. Never even thought about having a lawyer on call.

That's great for you and all, but as for me, I think I'll just call Kelvar. :D

Istvan56
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead & Night of the Living Dead

Post by Istvan56 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:01 am

This is a great thread for all of us, even me as a cop. Sometimes hearing it from a different source is great for convincing a spouse who have become complacent being married to a cop, a cop who is not home most nights due to his shift schedule. :(

I recommend that everyone who plans to employ any self-defense measure look at their liability insurance (part of your homeowners/renters insurance) and consider upping it (i.e. double it from the minimum). Having the name/number of a good self-defense lawyer is great. There are a number of lawyers who offer a payment plan to have legal representation when they need it. It is cheaper than trying to come up with a large retainer in the middle of the night following a critical incident.

As for the wasp spray, I can't recommend using anything toxic as a self-defense weapon. However, juries have been sympathetic when citizens have had to improvise with a Louieville Slugger, 9 Iron, frying pan or kitchen knife to defend their home/lives. In states with the Castle Doctrine using an improvised lethal weapon is perfectly legal so any lasting damage to the suspect by your weapon is his/her fault for breaking into your home. You still may get sued and your insurance company is likely to settle out of court on a wasp spray case then turn around raising your rates or cancelling your policy but you shouldn't be paying anything out of pocket.

Krustofski
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Post by Krustofski » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:25 am

How about:

"How reasonable and wise of you to back up all your data, in case your computer goes belly-up. Thing is, when I break into your house and steal your PC, I will take your expensive-looking external harddrive as well."

Alternative title: Why a fellow student missed the deadline for his thesis. Just saying.
Off the internet until further notice.

razi

Post by razi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:56 am

Krustofski wrote:How about:

"How reasonable and wise of you to back up all your data, in case your computer goes belly-up. Thing is, when I break into your house and steal your PC, I will take your expensive-looking external harddrive as well."

Alternative title: Why a fellow student missed the deadline for his thesis. Just saying.
it's a good reason not to keep your backup hard-drive in the same location as your computer. many external drives come with wifi these days, so at the very least you can have it on a different power circuit in case of a severe surge or electrical problem.

Werespaz

Post by Werespaz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 pm

razi wrote:

it's a good reason not to keep your backup hard-drive in the same location as your computer. many external drives come with wifi these days, so at the very least you can have it on a different power circuit in case of a severe surge or electrical problem.
To truly back something up, you should store the backup off-site as well, since, if your house burns down, it'll get both otherwise.

Personally, I burn data to a DVD that I then keep at work (locked in a file drawer).

ShortFieldBreak

Post by ShortFieldBreak » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:54 am

Werespaz wrote:
razi wrote:

To truly back something up, you should store the backup off-site as well, since, if your house burns down, it'll get both otherwise.

Personally, I burn data to a DVD that I then keep at work (locked in a file drawer).
My wife is onboard with my plan, though I haven't been able to make the purchase yet. Our plan is to purchase a Liberty gun safe with the electrical pass through option. Use internet over power )IOP)and utilize a power strip to power the IOP unit and backup hard drives inside the fire proof safe. That way the data is backed up, locked up, and fireproof (as much as the safe anyway).

I may not have all the answers, but that's my solution to the computer data problem.

-SFB

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:44 am

ODA 226 wrote:moonshine rakija and a lighter
Ow. Just ow. Coming from a first generation Canadian with Serbian parents, I've drank that stuff by the gallon. That's just mean. Kudos.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Good post I like everything except the wasp spray. I live in one of those castle doctrin states with legal and civil protection for people that have to use force in self defense, most of the time, but I still wouldn't choose bug spray over a firearm. There is one thing about the spray only one or two people have eluded to: We don't know for a fact that it works. I am very comfortable with the idea that if I shoot someone multiple times center of mass with my carbine or my pistol then they will likely not wish to continue being a threat to myself and my family. There is a very good chance they will not be a threat to anyone else ever again afterwards. I can't say that about the bug spray.

And if the spray doesn't work then I am stuck in a wrestling match with a guy covered in wasp spray. No thanks, I did that once with a guy covered in pepper spray and it was no fun.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Anomic1

Post by Anomic1 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:18 pm

I have to second the solicitor issue. I dont oprn the door or answer the phone for anyone i dont know. Ive had more than a a few guys with a clipboard knock on the door then lean over and try to peak in the window (view blocked by a plant). Since they have ignored 2 no solicitation signs at this point they are greated from behind by myself and my dog (and my open carried glock23).

I dont generally say anything just stand there and listen to stammered execuses why they are trespassing/casing my home. After a while of me just staring them down they figure out its time to leave; and usually leave the whole block.

Space Jockey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Post by Space Jockey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:33 pm

My car alarm only goes off for 3 minutes and then shuts itself off until someone tampers with things again. I found this out when my door unlocker battery died and i tried opening the door with the key instead. Always read your manual for information like this.
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

The Sarge

Post by The Sarge » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Space Jockey wrote:My car alarm only goes off for 3 minutes and then shuts itself off until someone tampers with things again. I found this out when my door unlocker battery died and i tried opening the door with the key instead. Always read your manual for information like this.
Haha, I know that feeling, only mine doesn't go off after a time period, but the key will unlock the dor, so eventually I had to open it, pull the release for the bonnet and disconnect the battery, not fun.
When you think about it, the end of Romeo & Juliet is acutally pretty funny. (Note that some of the females in my class called me quite a few things when I said this, none of them nice)
Jeriah wrote:A sword is like a sling: useless unless you also pack the stones necessary to actually use the thing.

Space Jockey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead 2004
Night of the Living Dead

Post by Space Jockey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:48 pm

The Sarge wrote:
Space Jockey wrote:My car alarm only goes off for 3 minutes and then shuts itself off until someone tampers with things again. I found this out when my door unlocker battery died and i tried opening the door with the key instead. Always read your manual for information like this.
Haha, I know that feeling, only mine doesn't go off after a time period, but the key will unlock the dor, so eventually I had to open it, pull the release for the bonnet and disconnect the battery, not fun.
I also had to pull the battery cable off to get it to shut up. It wasn't until after the fact that I read the manual and could have just let it go for 3 minutes. This was also on the first snow we had this year, perfect timing as always.
Fortis fortuna adiuvat

Gun control isn't about guns, it's about control.

Skinny
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD 04

Post by Skinny » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Most Burglars looks for easy targets, like if the house is being foreclosed, for sale, or if they know that the owners haven't been there for days. Depending on the police response in your region, if they hear an alarm, they may say f**k it and flee, but your mileage is going to vary. Tons of newspapers in the driveway, no cars, lawn not mowed; those are signs of a person not there.

They may come by the house pretending to be lost, and if no one answers, it's go time.

I think I may try the back door as is it is probably out of sight of other neighbors.

Cool, thanks for leaving that ladder laying around in your backyard, I think I will try the second story window.

I am more likely to try the doors rather then the windows.
AK-47 Shopping Channel!!

Where is my AK... :(

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”