13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Outlaw80401

Re: 13 things (and more) a burglar won't tell you

Post by Outlaw80401 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:19 am

A little more on topic, the best way to take care of burglary, is to make your home as uninviting target as you can. Don’t move large home electronics into the house out in the open. Keep them in there box or better yet a plain brown box. Leave your porch light on at night and lock your doors and windows. When in doubt a large dog works better than almost any other deterrent. I have met allot of bad guys who are not afraid of a gun. I have never met anyone who didn’t almost pee themselves when my 110 lbs black lab comes out barking and pissed.
Shoot – Reload - Repeat as Necessary

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:17 am

Outlaw80401 wrote:A little more on topic, the best way to take care of burglary, is to make your home as uninviting target as you can. Don’t move large home electronics into the house out in the open. Keep them in there box or better yet a plain brown box. Leave your porch light on at night and lock your doors and windows. When in doubt a large dog works better than almost any other deterrent. I have met allot of bad guys who are not afraid of a gun. I have never met anyone who didn’t almost pee themselves when my 110 lbs black lab comes out barking and pissed.
And, when you get rid of those boxes, rip them up- it's not just easier for the trash man, but safer- you can put them printed side down, instead of advertising your nifty new purchase with the empty box out on the curb.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:12 pm

cdmelton wrote:oc spray and chemical deterents dont always work. 1% of the population have 0 reaction to the capsacin in the spray. In addition to that some people (myself included) have been trained and can still function and be very effective after being OC sprayed.

use a taser or kentic impact weapons such as bean bag rounds or a baton as a non lethal weapon for defense. they are statisticly more effective.

also if you are useing bean bag rounds or other shotgun non-lethal ammo hot load that stuff. put the last round or so in the shot gun a live round incase he still poses a threat.
We all make our own choices, do what you're comfortable with but I strongly recommend staying away from the bean bag rounds, and from mixing and matching LTL and other types of shotgun ammo in the same tube (nomenclature quibble: a round that can go bang and emit a projectile is a "live" round, beanbag rounds are "live.") In most AOs the use of shotgun ammo for self defense will still be considered lethal force, because the platform (shotgun) is considered a deadly weapon no matter the composition of the round. In a situation where lethal force is warranted, it might as well be effective lethal force. In a situation where lethal force isn't warranted, firing a beanbag round may get you charged with a serious felony.

Mixing and matching ammo of varying lethality, with the idea that you'll fire more progressively dangerous rounds as an attack persists, sounds good at first until you realize that if you are pointing a shotgun at another person in the first place, it is because they are trying to kill you - and using less effective rounds for your first several shots just makes them more likely to succeed in killing you. Remember, the threat posed to you must already be credibly deadly for you to even point the shotgun.

Good information about tactical shotgun use, and a glimpse of the Great Beanbag Controversy:
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=75701" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 16&t=58200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... &p=1097272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... =6&t=38007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=75400" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =25&t=1969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the interest of mitigating derail pleas respond, if you wish, via PM or in a thread specifically about shothuns and ammo choices. Sorry to get sidetracked.
Last edited by squinty on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:46 pm

I didn't intend for my question to derail this thread- we already have a LTL vs LF thread going to argue these points in.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:11 am

the_klenzer wrote:...
9. I always knock first. If you answer, I'll ask for directions
Somewhere or Offer to clean your gutters. (Don't take me up on it.)
I had this happen about a year ago. :evil:
Take what you're being given, make your stand
because the life that you're living
may soon come to an end.

2005RedTJ

Post by 2005RedTJ » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:21 pm

I'm another alarm guy, with 20+ years experience installing systems in everything from little construction trailers to DOD installations, banks, jewelry stores, and armored car companies. Alarm systems are just like anything else, you really do get what you pay for. If you pay for 2 door contacts and 1 motion, that's how much coverage you get. And like the former ADT guy said, monitoring through the phone line alone is a thing of the past as far as I'm concerned. I use Long-Range radio on my system. We have some high-end systems that are monitored through A)the internet, B) long range radio, and C) phone line. And stickers and signs only help deter if they are from an actual company that operates locally - don't put some stickers up you bought over the internet and expect to fool crooks.

I like the car alarm idea, there are also keychain remotes for most home alarm systems that can set the alarm off and call the police. Check with your alarm company and see if they offer them for your brand of system.

I have the house covered with a ton of alarm equipment, I keep a close eye out for any vehicle or person in the yard, and answer the door with a .45 very handy. NO-ONE is getting inside my house to use the phone, or the bathroom, or pretty much anything. I answered the door for the census taker with a .45 in my hand, tucked it in my waistband, and then stood in the driveway talking to them.

Soren
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Original Dawn of the Dead (the new one too I guess...) and Shaun of the Dead

Post by Soren » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Ah, a topic I finally have some sort of expertise in - the wasp spray debate.

In short, those tiny labels that say "it is a crime to use this product in a manner inconsistent with the label/directions" are not lying. It is illegal. All pesticides, (each chemical, and each formulation it may be presented in, and each method of application), are registered with EPA, who regulates its use, conducts risk assessments, and enforces safety measures associated with the use of pesticides (e.g. restricted entry intervals). As a major component of this, and in order to comply with OSHA's requirement for employers to inform their employees about hazardous material they may work with, the EPA has set "label is law" as a legal mandate. Using a pesticide for reasons other than its labeled purpose, or in a manner inconsistent with the label or directions, is illegal in its own right. Castle laws will not protect you - the illegality of the action has nothing to do with why you sprayed it, only that you did so without intending to kill wasps/stinging insects.

Given, all that is most likely moot. The EPA is a dangerously under-funded organization. They will certainly never lend any funding/employee time to investigating someone using a can of wasp spray in their home. But enforcement powers may move beyond the EPA, and many states have enacted further laws restricting the use of pesticides. I would not rule out a non-EPA agent prosecuting an individual for violating that law, or using it as precedent.

All in all, ask yourself this question - knowing that using the wasp spray as self defense is illegal (at least nominally, even if enforcement wouldn't likely come in this case), and that there may be more strict laws in your area, and that even if you win, the costs of defending yourself in court may ruin you, and that you have time to prepare and aren't being currently mugged/robbed/murdered (if you are, I suggest fighting back is a better use of your time than reading my post, though thank you for reading), why not invest in a real self-defense weapon?

PsycoBob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by PsycoBob » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 pm

I can think of 2 reasons I might use wasp spray.
1. I buy the stuff by the case for the antique .mil trucks that attract nests.
2. I generally keep my guns locked up- I live in a low-crime area that's heavily patrolled by police & curious retired neighbors. I'm less than 100yards from a local school.

If I really feel the need for a firearm, I probably don't have time to unlock get one before someone finishes climbing in my window- but a fscking bright flashlight & .mil lug-nut wrench in the hands of an annoyed 6'2" 220# male will work in a pinch. Rubber bullets, hell- I've got a 20# recycled-rubber wheel chock on a rope.

Wasp-spray is rather down my list. Trigger-operated blowtorch & brake-cleaner are quite a bit higher. :twisted: Nice fireball, evaporates fast enough to avoid the 'napalm' effect.

ErMaK
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Dead Snow, I am Legend, Zombieland, Resident Evil

Post by ErMaK » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:58 am

I never really thought about Wasp Spray, but those things DO shoot far and I can see where it would be a great self-defense wepon.

It blows my mind about how thoughtless some people can be. I know several people who just leave their car keys laying around or their cell-phones. a lot of people(some of them close friends) never lock their car or house and just go and come like nothing will ever happen. I give them hell about it all the time. It just blows my mind how many people are like that, then when something does happen they wanna start pointing fingers at everyone else but themselves.

Ruppism
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead, the walking dead

Post by Ruppism » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:42 pm

I used to live in a really shitty part of town with a lot of tweekers and breakins were quite a problem so after my neighbors house got broken into i decided to put a few 12ga shells in my front window sill just a warning to any unwanted visitors.

and as for wasp spray for home defence no thanks if you break into my house your getting shot end of story simple as that.
slow is smooth, smooth is fast
when unsure what to do, do the most violent thing possible

SurfnBob

Post by SurfnBob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:36 am

First off, it really saddens me that some of you folks live in such a shitty neighborhood or part of town that you have to answer every knock on the door with a pistol in hand. That, in my opinion, is not being prepared, that is living in fear. I have a wife and family and pets and believe me, I will defend them to the death if need be, but I refuse to cloister myself in a hole, daring someone to break in so that I can shoot them. Now while the Soldier of Fortune subscribers type thier belittling replies, I'll get back on topic. During a recent forced renovation, I wired the plug that my garage door opener plugs into to a switch located inside the house. When I go through my nightly lockdown I simply hit the switch which turns off my garage door opener. It is also a nice feature to have when going out of town.

NeverReady

Post by NeverReady » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

epirider wrote:
dukman wrote:I remember seeing a discussion about the wasp spray, and NOT to do it. You don't want to be sued because you caused the permanent blindness of the crook.
I will articulate that I was in fear of my life or the life / well being of my family and wasp spray, a hammer, a lamp, or anything else in my reach was used in the defence of my person and my family. I am horribly sorry that the bad guy made a VERY poor choice when he decided to enter my house illegally. It is a shame that in the commission of the felony that he was committing just by being there, let alone the felony that he may or may not have premeditated once he was in my dwelling. Not knowing his intentions, I was compelled to protect myself in what ever way I was able too. He may have to live with the consequences of his bad decisions. If that is perm. blindness, then I would guess that is better then whatever the bad guy would do to me...

Just so everyone is aware, all states will define whether or not an attacker can sue after you defended them selves from the attacker. There are states that specifically prevent even a civil suit from taking place if the attacker tries to sue the defender. But this is not all states.

Edit: And from my research, the arguments made hold little merit, you need to know the law. Common sense seems to no longer apply in this world, no matter how common sense and reasonable it may seem.
Last edited by NeverReady on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:21 pm

SurfnBob wrote:First off, it really saddens me that some of you folks live in such a shitty neighborhood or part of town that you have to answer every knock on the door with a pistol in hand. That, in my opinion, is not being prepared, that is living in fear. I have a wife and family and pets and believe me, I will defend them to the death if need be, but I refuse to cloister myself in a hole, daring someone to break in so that I can shoot them. Now while the Soldier of Fortune subscribers type thier belittling replies, I'll get back on topic. During a recent forced renovation, I wired the plug that my garage door opener plugs into to a switch located inside the house. When I go through my nightly lockdown I simply hit the switch which turns off my garage door opener. It is also a nice feature to have when going out of town.
I like the garage door disabling feature. My automatic garage door has a keyed external lock that I can use to secure it, and I lock that when I leave the house or go to bed. It prevents the door from opening, but it wouldn't be too difficult to defeat.

As for answering every knock with a gun in hand - no, not every knock. But I do wear a small, holstered revolver around the house, pretty much whenever I'm dressed it's on my person. So it's there whenever I go to the door. I disagree with the "living in fear" characterization. There are fire extinguisher's, co2 and smoke detectors in my house in strategic areas, just in case. Yet, I am not cowering in a hole living my life in fear of a fire, or daring arsonists to ignite my house so I can douse the flames. Likewise the handgun. Like the extinguisher, it's there if I need it, convenient and part of my routine. I am not living in fear of a home invasion or assault, I am not "daring" anyone to break into my house so I can shoot them - I certainly do not want to shoot anyone, nor would I ever like to be in so dangerous a situation that I have to shoot at anyone. The handgun is like the extinguisher in that I hope I never need to use either in a serious situation. The only real difference is that the extinguisher is a strictly utilitarian prep, while shooting and collecting guns is a rewarding hobby as much as it is a prep.

Note, please, that so far no one has replied to you in a belittling fashion, and there was no reason for you to get defensive in anticipation of such replies, nor to resort to belittling language yourself ("Soldier of Fortune" subscribers? Really? :roll:) in your post.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

SurfnBob

Post by SurfnBob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Yea, definately came off jerkish there, hadn't taken my meds. Saying that someone being prepared for something doesn't equate to them being afraid or living in fear, I understand that totally. I also understand a knock on the door at 3 pm. does not raise the same concern as one at 3am. My SOF crack was aimed at a fringe group I'm sure exists that do answer every knock with a weapon. They might read some other publication, like Southern Living for instance, but heck, Dale Gribble(King of the Hill) has an ad in Soldier of Fortune, which makes it a bit more relevant. My main point was to pass on a tip that might deter theft and help protect your family and home. It cost little, none in my case, and could easily deter a "casual criminal" I guess. My secondary point, though maybe it didn't seem this way, was that I feel bad for anyone who has to live, at the ready, all the time. Me and my family have been ripped off a couple times in the past and it just plain sucks, especially when you know the person or persons.

squinty

Post by squinty » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:47 pm

SurfnBob wrote:Yea, definately came off jerkish there, hadn't taken my meds. Saying that someone being prepared for something doesn't equate to them being afraid or living in fear, I understand that totally. I also understand a knock on the door at 3 pm. does not raise the same concern as one at 3am. My SOF crack was aimed at a fringe group I'm sure exists that do answer every knock with a weapon. They might read some other publication, like Southern Living for instance, but heck, Dale Gribble(King of the Hill) has an ad in Soldier of Fortune, which makes it a bit more relevant. My main point was to pass on a tip that might deter theft and help protect your family and home. It cost little, none in my case, and could easily deter a "casual criminal" I guess. My secondary point, though maybe it didn't seem this way, was that I feel bad for anyone who has to live, at the ready, all the time. Me and my family have been ripped off a couple times in the past and it just plain sucks, especially when you know the person or persons.
Eh, fair enough. ETA: I came off judgmental and sensitive in my reply. I hadn't had my coffee yet. Sorry! Like I said earlier though, I really liked your garage door tip. Thanks for it.I have at time had issues that made me very insecure about my safety at home, and my homes integrity when I was out, and it does indeed suck, and the experience does leave a lasting change in attitude. Guns played less of a key role in resolving those situations than a change in locale and severing toxic personal ties. Still glad I had the guns though.
:wink:

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 am

squinty wrote:...

Note, please, that so far no one has replied to you in a belittling fashion, and there was no reason for you to get defensive in anticipation of such replies, nor to resort to belittling language yourself ("Soldier of Fortune" subscribers? Really? :roll:) in your post.
IDK, reading posts as a visitor can give plenty of examples of this sort of post replies, if you start off looking in the "wrong" sections first- it would depend on what particular interest brought you to ZS in the first place. I will say, tho, that ZS seems to have much less of it than other forums I've been on, and is a big reason I stay here. Still, a word of advice to any new poster- grow a thick skin, and don't let someone else's opinion get you riled up. You know what they say about opinions...

2005RedTJ

Post by 2005RedTJ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:10 am

SurfnBob wrote:Yea, definately came off jerkish there, hadn't taken my meds. Saying that someone being prepared for something doesn't equate to them being afraid or living in fear, I understand that totally. I also understand a knock on the door at 3 pm. does not raise the same concern as one at 3am. My SOF crack was aimed at a fringe group I'm sure exists that do answer every knock with a weapon. They might read some other publication, like Southern Living for instance, but heck, Dale Gribble(King of the Hill) has an ad in Soldier of Fortune, which makes it a bit more relevant. My main point was to pass on a tip that might deter theft and help protect your family and home. It cost little, none in my case, and could easily deter a "casual criminal" I guess. My secondary point, though maybe it didn't seem this way, was that I feel bad for anyone who has to live, at the ready, all the time. Me and my family have been ripped off a couple times in the past and it just plain sucks, especially when you know the person or persons.
I reckon that was aimed at me since I specifically stated that I answer the door armed. For a little clarification - first off, I live far enough off the main drag that no-one accidentally ends up on my door step. If you're here, you are pretty much either a friend or up to no good. Second - I work in a business where I deal with the after-effects of home invasions on an almost daily basis. Third - I already have a firearm on me due to the fact that I carry pretty much everywhere, not like I grabbed a gun just to answer the door. And lastly - my current home has been broken into once, my fiance's parents house (next door) has had every vehicle broken into in the driveway. It's a nice neighborhood out in the country but the bad guys know it'll take a while for the cops to respond so you're on your own in the meantime.

MrM4Guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by MrM4Guy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 am

About the wasp spray being a bad idea. One of my rules to live by is that being judged by 12 is better than being carried by six. If you cannot figure this out, maybe you should NOT be using the wasp spray. I personally start with the .45 or 12 gauge, then maybe if the burglar is LUCKY, I will resort to the wasp spray.
MORS CERTA VITA INCERTA
" Two means one, and one means none, so always have three..."

williaty

Post by williaty » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:06 am

MrM4Guy wrote:About the wasp spray being a bad idea. One of my rules to live by is that being judged by 12 is better than being carried by six.
Is it not better, though, to successfully defend you and yours in a way that gets you neither dead nor imprisoned?

Chris1836

Post by Chris1836 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:00 am

This is why I love being a Texican, I find you in my house I night, I will take your life. Hell I find you snooping around, I will take your life, drag your bloddy body into the yard and wait for the cops to come and haul it off.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:43 am

Chris1836 wrote:This is why I love being a Texican, I find you in my house I night, I will take your life. Hell I find you snooping around, I will take your life, drag your bloddy body into the yard and wait for the cops to come and haul it off.
While I understand your enthusiasm, killing someone and then dragging them onto your property in order to be covered by Castle Doctrine is still a crime, and police are pretty good at following blood trails 30' long.

Please review forum rules, which include the exclusion of discussion of illegal activities.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:08 pm

Chris1836 wrote:This is why I love being a Texican, I find you in my house I night, I will take your life. Hell I find you snooping around, I will take your life, drag your bloddy body into the yard and wait for the cops to come and haul it off.
Goddamn I'm glad my 4-year-old and all my teen and preteen cousins in North Texas live more than a half hour from you.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Czechnology wrote:
While I understand your enthusiasm, killing someone and then dragging them onto your property in order to be covered by Castle Doctrine is still a crime, and police are pretty good at following blood trails 30' long.

Please review forum rules, which include the exclusion of discussion of illegal activities.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.
I'd also point out that making bellicose statements on line is generally a bad idea. Your handle can easily be matched to you by someone with the power to issue warrants, and getting the above statement into a court proceeding could be a deciding factor. You could find yourself convicted on even a good shoot.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

TWhite260
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the dead, 28 days later

Post by TWhite260 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:29 pm

I love this neat little product

http://www.pepperball.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shoots paintballs filled with pepper spray. Nothing like shooting a bad guy in the face/eye/neck (oh, scuse me, upper torso) with a paintball. That REALLY hurts!

Then the OC kicks in. AAAAAaaaaaaAAAaaaaaRRRrrRrrgh!!!

Not perfect, but will do in a pinch. Especially if you are in a state that doesn'y allow firearms. To my knowledge, paintball guns are legal all over.
Now offering wholesale sarcasm to the masses!

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”