Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Thorne
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Re: Global Debt Time Bomb explodes soon

Post by Thorne » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:14 pm

TheZone wrote:
Thorne wrote:
But it has happened.. Not every collapse is all the way back to the stone age..
Recession and depression are just terms for economic trends.

It does not seem to be a serious danger to me.
I'm glad your semantic arguments give you peace, however I suspect you are just taking comfort from your own confirmation bias..

The Great depression.. Post WW2 UK.. Argentina in 1999-2002...

Nothing but simple market corrections right...
Education on the value of freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights should be a prerequisite for being a citizen of any nation. If we can't think for ourselves, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. If citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us.

Carl Edward Sagan (9 Nov '34 – 20 Dec '96)

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:27 pm

Thorne wrote:
TheZone wrote:
Thorne wrote:

I'm glad your semantic arguments give you peace, however I suspect you are just taking comfort from your own confirmation bias..

Yes, they were.

The Great Depression was just that: a depressed period, not a collapse. As I already noted, the Weimar Republic, Europe's least stable regime and one hobbled by occupation & reparations, survived.

There is a huge difference between a depression and a collapse.

I'm taking neither comfort nor alarm from the above. As I've already noted, I take financial planning quite seriously, and have since the 80s. I encourage it for everyone.

In financial matters it is best to avoid taking a hard and fast position as that will lead to one twisting the data to fit that assumption, as the five years devoted to this thread shows.
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

Thorne

Post by Thorne » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Funny when I check a map I don't see a Weimar Republic anywhere...

FWIW you are probably better off to use Hungary as an example than the nation who's economic troubles led to a globe spanning conflict that killed 3-4 % of the global population.
Education on the value of freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights should be a prerequisite for being a citizen of any nation. If we can't think for ourselves, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. If citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us.

TheZone

Post by TheZone » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Thorne wrote:Funny when I check a map I don't see a Weimar Republic anywhere...

FWIW you are probably better off to use Hungary as an example than the nation who's economic troubles led to a globe spanning conflict that killed 3-4 % of the global population.
Lots of changes to maps. You used to see Imperial Russia and the USSR on them. :mrgreen:

I'll stick with my example. The question was economic collapse, and the Weimar republic is a good example-despite a very shaky central government, crippling payments, foreign occupation of its primary industrial sector, it survived the '29 crash.

My alien invasion novel.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:11 pm

It seems as though the question is "what is economic collapse?" and I'll offer Wikipedia's take on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_collapse
There is no precise definition of an economic collapse. The term has been used to describe a broad range of bad economic conditions, ranging from a severe, prolonged depression with high bankruptcy rates and high unemployment (such as the Great Depression of the 1930s), to a breakdown in normal commerce caused by hyperinflation (such as in Weimar Germany in the 1920s), or even an economically caused sharp increase in the death rate and perhaps even a decline in population (such as in countries of the former USSR in the 1990s).
I'm not going to claim that Wikipedia is definitive, but the quote does include three events during the 20th Century that could be considered "economic collapse".
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

TheZone

Post by TheZone » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:17 pm

sheddi wrote:It seems as though the question is "what is economic collapse?" and I'll offer Wikipedia's take on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_collapse
There is no precise definition of an economic collapse. The term has been used to describe a broad range of bad economic conditions, ranging from a severe, prolonged depression with high bankruptcy rates and high unemployment (such as the Great Depression of the 1930s), to a breakdown in normal commerce caused by hyperinflation (such as in Weimar Germany in the 1920s), or even an economically caused sharp increase in the death rate and perhaps even a decline in population (such as in countries of the former USSR in the 1990s).
I'm not going to claim that Wikipedia is definitive, but the quote does include three events during the 20th Century that could be considered "economic collapse".
Good points.

All three were events which ran their course without a significant breakdown in social order or governmental control.

My alien invasion novel.

Thorne

Post by Thorne » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Mostly off topic but TheZone's semantics brought it to mind...

Enjoy the intermission! :)

George Carlin - Euphemisms

TheZone

Post by TheZone » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Carlin certainly had a style! :clap:

My alien invasion novel.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:33 pm

TheZone wrote: Lots of changes to maps. You used to see Imperial Russia and the USSR on them. :mrgreen:

I'll stick with my example. The question was economic collapse, and the Weimar republic is a good example-despite a very shaky central government, crippling payments, foreign occupation of its primary industrial sector, it survived the '29 crash.

Well actually if you look at history you will see the hyper inflation that the Wiemar Republic sustained occurred during a the post war period prior to 1924.

The period between 1924 and 1929 was called the Golden Era and the prosperity of that period was in no small part due to the Dawes Plan and Young Plan which provided loans in US dollars to Germany. After 1929, the US withdrew the loan aid from these plans and this of course lead to severe unemployment in Germany which caused turmoil and ultimately the ascent of facism.

Thus while the Wiemar Republic technically survived until 1933, the economy was not in very good shape after 1929.

That said the Wiemar Republic's issues are not really similar to the problems we face today. It is not really comparable. The Argentine problems are more similar but even that is not really comparable.
TheZone wrote:The closest thing you can find to a true economic collapse of a First world state in modern history is Imperial Russian in 1917, and even then it was revolution, not entirely the economy.
Imperial Russia did not collapse due to economic problems. The Argentine Collapse is much closer to an economic collapse. Then there is the collapse of Iceland's banking collapse in 2009, the on going saga in Greece and of course do not forget the banking crisis in Cyprus and Malta in 2013.

These countries all experienced or are presently experiencing significant economic hardships due to banking/economic issues. They are still standing but that does not mean if you were an account holder in these affected countries that it was a non-issue. You would have ta the very least had trouble getting your own cash out of your own account.

sheddi wrote:It seems as though the question is "what is economic collapse?"
Sheddi is absolutely correct here.

The old definition of recession and depression comes to mind.

A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose your job.

Economic issues do not have to bring about TEOTWAWKI to cause problems for people. In fact of all of the disasters we plan to face an economic issue of some level (job loss, pay cut, medical bills, lawsuit, etc.) are the highest probability of items.
TheZone wrote:
Nor does it mean it will happen.

Back when I was in high school in the 70s our science teacher solemnly advised us that the world had ten years' worth of oil reserves left, and that an economic collapse was imminent.

Later, in college we were earnestly advised that the next war would be fought over cropland.

I spent the first thirty year of my life fairly confident the Cold War would eventually go hot.

For a century or more the world has been changing at a faster rate than previously seen in history, and it has continued to be a bumpy ride. as 3d printer technology matures we can see another reshuffling of the global markets come in just a few years' time.
You are correct on all counts above and that is actually part of my message directed at the doom and gloom folks, but I would add a caveat to the below statement.
TheZone wrote: Time will tell. Meanwhile, the sun is shining and life is good, so enjoy the day. :wink:
Make sure your financial house is in order such that if and or when the sky gets cloudy and the rain starts falling and the lightning is striking around you, your fiscal house is not washed away.

Individually make sure you follow some basic rules:
1) Have at a minimum 6 months of expenses saves up. 12 months obviously is preferable.
2) Do not spend more money than you have on hand.
3) Avoid variable rate debt.
4) Keep an eye on the economy it matters.
5) Make sure you have adequate insurance for your likely risks.
6) Check on the health of companies which hold your investments.

Just to name few. Because while indeed bad things may not happen; you should be prepared if they do.

TheZone

Post by TheZone » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:17 pm

raptor wrote: Make sure your financial house is in order such that if and or when the sky gets cloudy and the rain starts falling and the lightning is striking around you, your fiscal house is not washed away.

Individually make sure you follow some basic rules:
1) Have at a minimum 6 months of expenses saves up. 12 months obviously is preferable.
2) Do not spend more money than you have on hand.
3) Avoid variable rate debt.
4) Keep an eye on the economy it matters.
5) Make sure you have adequate insurance for your likely risks.
6) Check on the health of companies which hold your investments.

Just to name few. Because while indeed bad things may not happen; you should be prepared if they do.
My rules are somewhat different.

1) Continually build savings every month you live. Ideally you should save 10% of your income each and every year, not counting pension value.
2) Never spend savings. If you do pull money out, replace it.
3) Do not carry any debt save a mortgage. Never keep a mortgage more than ten years. Five is better.
4) Diversify your savings package, but do not take unnecessary risks.
5) Same as yours.
6) Tax and investment advice is well worth the investment.
7) Every day you work should pay into a secure pension system.
8) Always buy quality, and know what you are buying before you buy it.

My alien invasion novel.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:49 pm

TheZone wrote: My rules are somewhat different.
Not really. My list above was not intended to be all inclusive. :wink:
raptor wrote: Just to name few.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:24 pm

TheZone wrote:The question was economic collapse, and the Weimar republic is a good example-despite a very shaky central government, crippling payments, foreign occupation of its primary industrial sector, it survived the '29 crash.
One can argue that the Weimar Republic didn't survive the '29 crash. It just took a few years to die from it's economic and political woes. The crash and the global depression that followed aided a party that never won a majority in free elections in gaining control of the government and eventually almost all aspects of life. That lead to full-on political and economic collapse for Germany in 1945. At the end of the war Germany's government was completely dismantled, the economy was non-existent, and the Reichsmark was worthless. The fall of the Weimar Republic is a perfect example of an economic crisis destabilizing a country and government enough to allow Really Bad Things to happen.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:52 pm

raptor wrote:
TheZone wrote: Lots of changes to maps. You used to see Imperial Russia and the USSR on them. :mrgreen:

Well actually if you look at history you will see the hyper inflation that the Wiemar Republic sustained occurred during a the post war period prior to 1924.

The period between 1924 and 1929 was called the Golden Era and the prosperity of that period was in no small part due to the Dawes Plan and Young Plan which provided loans in US dollars to Germany. After 1929, the US withdrew the loan aid from these plans and this of course lead to severe unemployment in Germany which caused turmoil and ultimately the ascent of facism.

Thus while the Wiemar Republic technically survived until 1933, the economy was not in very good shape after 1929.

That said the Wiemar Republic's issues are not really similar to the problems we face today. It is not really comparable. The Argentine problems are more similar but even that is not really comparable.
TheZone wrote:The closest thing you can find to a true economic collapse of a First world state in modern history is Imperial Russian in 1917, and even then it was revolution, not entirely the economy.
Imperial Russia did not collapse due to economic problems. The Argentine Collapse is much closer to an economic collapse. Then there is the collapse of Iceland's banking collapse in 2009, the on going saga in Greece and of course do not forget the banking crisis in Cyprus and Malta in 2013.

These countries all experienced or are presently experiencing significant economic hardships due to banking/economic issues. They are still standing but that does not mean if you were an account holder in these affected countries that it was a non-issue. You would have ta the very least had trouble getting your own cash out of your own account.

sheddi wrote:It seems as though the question is "what is economic collapse?"
Sheddi is absolutely correct here.

The old definition of recession and depression comes to mind.

A recession is when your neighbor loses his job. A depression is when you lose your job.

Economic issues do not have to bring about TEOTWAWKI to cause problems for people. In fact of all of the disasters we plan to face an economic issue of some level (job loss, pay cut, medical bills, lawsuit, etc.) are the highest probability of items.
TheZone wrote:
Nor does it mean it will happen.

Back when I was in high school in the 70s our science teacher solemnly advised us that the world had ten years' worth of oil reserves left, and that an economic collapse was imminent.

Later, in college we were earnestly advised that the next war would be fought over cropland.

I spent the first thirty year of my life fairly confident the Cold War would eventually go hot.

For a century or more the world has been changing at a faster rate than previously seen in history, and it has continued to be a bumpy ride. as 3d printer technology matures we can see another reshuffling of the global markets come in just a few years' time.
You are correct on all counts above and that is actually part of my message directed at the doom and gloom folks, but I would add a caveat to the below statement.

(SNIP)

So, where on the continuum of badness do these fall
Zimbabwe - once the breadbasket of southern Africa, it is less than a basket case today

Brazil inflation + corruption - an economy where 3/4 of all work (or jobs0 is 'underground'.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:26 pm

TacAir wrote: So, where on the continuum of badness do these fall
Zimbabwe - once the breadbasket of southern Africa, it is less than a basket case today

Zimbabwe is a poster child for government ineptitude, market interference, corruption and many other evils. It should be held out as an example of what happens when idiots are allowed allowed access to a currency printing press. I am not sure it is a model for any kind of economic meltdown beyond the basic lesson of not letting buffons stay in power.
TacAir wrote: Brazil inflation + corruption - an economy where 3/4 of all work (or jobs0 is 'underground'.
Brazil is a bit more difficult in that they have been rather successful in some respects despite the systemic problems of corruption. They are the "B" in the BRIC currency consortium that in 2009 was talked about as the replacement for the USD in that time frame.

I am not sure Brazil should even be mentioned in the same thread as Zimbabwe. They are so different it is really a comparison.

TheZone

Post by TheZone » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:44 pm

TacAir wrote: So, where on the continuum of badness do these fall

Brazil inflation + corruption - an economy where 3/4 of all work (or jobs0 is 'underground'.
Dunno. Africa is being plundered today just as it was in the 1800s. Otherwise toys like cell phones would never be so cheap and accessible.

That's why I specified First World states above. Africa can have the bloodiest conflict since WW2 without the slightest attention from the world (Second Congo War), while the small-scale fighting in the aftermath of the break-up of Yugo requires a decade-long NATO commitment.

As you note, Zim is pretty much wrecked, but Greece's issues are a front-page news item.

Its not how you are suffering, but where that often matters. The Feds bailed out GM, but let Bob's Tire Service hit a crisis level and its hello, foreclosure notice.

I'm not saying its right, but I think there's an extremely strong argument for the validity of the premise.

My alien invasion novel.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:04 am

Interesting article about the market

http://nypost.com/2015/03/25/us-stock-m ... ggin-easy/
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Pvt. Pirate
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later <- realistic views;
zombieland <- funny
Location: (Germany) Holy Roman Empire, Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Bevenhusen near Loewenwohlde

Post by Pvt. Pirate » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:30 am

Thorne wrote:
TheZone wrote:
Thorne wrote:

indeed, the whole problem reaches back to the "Tulip Mania" with its peak in 1637 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania.
And ever since, they ignored the danger of that kind of speculations, just as if those international incidents never happened, although they were sometimes davastating as they even sometimes lead to war:
Without the big economic crisis that began with the Black Friday http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_Crash_of_1929 that lead to mass unemployment in Germany, the NSDAP would most likely not have gained that much power and WW2 would not have happened.
You might have noticed my native language is german, but i'm eager to improve my english :wink:
"To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

Thorne

Post by Thorne » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:05 pm

Filed under Hindsight is 20:20 and Eerie Deja Vu

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:48 am

Well this seems to be getting interesting:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... yment.html
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Pvt. Pirate wrote:
Thorne wrote:
TheZone wrote:
Thorne wrote:

indeed, the whole problem reaches back to the "Tulip Mania" with its peak in 1637 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania.
And ever since, they ignored the danger of that kind of speculations, just as if those international incidents never happened, although they were sometimes davastating as they even sometimes lead to war:
Without the big economic crisis that began with the Black Friday http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street_Crash_of_1929 that lead to mass unemployment in Germany, the NSDAP would most likely not have gained that much power and WW2 would not have happened.

WWII would still have happened. Stalin was not building the largest and most modern army the world had ever seen for gits and shiggles.

Pvt. Pirate
zombieland <- funny
Location: (Germany) Holy Roman Empire, Duchy of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Bevenhusen near Loewenwohlde

Post by Pvt. Pirate » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:40 am

Das Sheep wrote:
Pvt. Pirate wrote:[...]
WWII would still have happened. Stalin was not building the largest and most modern army the world had ever seen for gits and shiggles.
Okay, Stalin would've started it instead of Germany and Germany would not have been a fascist military totalarian regime.

What i was saying is that those speculative bubbles are a known phenomenon that always appears before such a big market crash - yet everyone allows it to grow, believing they can control it.
You might have noticed my native language is german, but i'm eager to improve my english :wink:
"To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity." - Abraham Lincoln

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:47 am

I get that everyone likes to debate economics...

But really, if you're right or wrong ("you" as in anybody), it doesn't matter. None of us control the federal reserve or government policies, etc. Just be smart, be ready, save, live life, and hope for the best.

You can be the best economic genius or an illiterate bum, if shit crashes, it crashes. Semantics won't save you when you have to poop in a bucket. Or should I say defecate in a pale?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Pvt. Pirate
zombieland <- funny

Post by Pvt. Pirate » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:28 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:I get that everyone likes to debate economics...

But really, if you're right or wrong ("you" as in anybody), it doesn't matter. None of us control the federal reserve or government policies, etc. Just be smart, be ready, save, live life, and hope for the best.

You can be the best economic genius or an illiterate bum, if shit crashes, it crashes. Semantics won't save you when you have to poop in a bucket. Or should I say defecate in a pale?
Words of Wisdom. :clap:

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:13 am

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”