Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:07 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:I don't like that the brackets are visible, though, especially on the outside. The fact that they're visible on the inside probably precludes me from installing it on my front door because it won't go with the wife's aesthetics.
I think you need to introduce your wife to this site. :roll:

:lol:
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

yale

Post by yale » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:43 am

Awsome review. It's threads like this that made me sign up here at Zombie Squad. Good quality, rational discussions of realistic prep ideas. We can have a hundred threads about what to do to get ready for the ZPAW and I will skip over all of them. It's threads like this I keep coming back for. Thank you for posting this and I look forward to more like it.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mercdeking

Post by mercdeking » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:10 am

Very true, I know I sell those. That looks like the white gibraltar door. I usually recommend the double deadbolt on that door because of the style of mesh on it. It's perfect for letting in air but that mesh can be compromised in a descent amount of time.
The better doors are usually the ones with the different steel mesh, the ones with the tiny circle holes. Their usually rated a bit better at 900 to 1100 lbs.
But I believe that is on the door not the mesh of course.
Wildeman_13 wrote:Well done! Good note on the reinforcing of the space between the door frame and the true wall. Most people don't bother to check this spacing to see how open it could be. Good catch! Did you or were you able to check the other side by the hinges? I would hate to have that side split if someone truly wanted entry. But I guess with the metal door as well you are pretty safe. ;)

Quick note on the metal screen door. I tell people to use double keyed dead bolts on these for additional safety. Mostly if you ever leave the inside door open and the metal one locked for air circulation. The reason is that someone with the right tools can cut open the screen enough to get to the dead bolt and door locks. Yes it is tough and would take the right tools, but it does happen. With the double key dead bolts, there can't do squat. I put these on all side and back doors when I can. I leave the front door with the standard turn latch on the inside for fire safety, plus spare keys to the dead bolts close to those doors, just in case.

mercdeking

Post by mercdeking » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:33 am

JamesCannon wrote:For new construction, iirc, exterior doors are typically 3070, while interior are 2868. 3'0"x7'0", and 2'8"x6'8" respectively.
Exterior residential are usually 3'0x6'8, commercial is usually 3'0x7'0. But that's where I'm at not sure if that applies to other markets.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:46 am

mercdeking wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:For new construction, iirc, exterior doors are typically 3070, while interior are 2868. 3'0"x7'0", and 2'8"x6'8" respectively.
Exterior residential are usually 3'0x6'8, commercial is usually 3'0x7'0. But that's where I'm at not sure if that applies to other markets.
I primarily work in commercial/industrial so that makes sense that I'd be off :lol:

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:50 am

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=54668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That thread there is about a screen manufacturer that provides screens which resist an INCREDIBLE amount of -blunt- force. They can be cut through, though are still pretty resistant to it, but are super strong.

I thought they were just for windows, at first, but they have screen DOOR models as well, as I just checked.

Products listed: http://www.tapcoinc.net/catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combine one of their screen doors with a reinforced mounting kit and I bet you have at least a much better protection. I look at them more as a hurricane preventive, but dissuading an opportunist burglar is a major plus.

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 am

Saw a video of these from a local tv station. They were doing a review and took it to the next level and had the local SWAT team go at it. They got through with a battering, and by through i mean ended up after 20 something minutes of beating on the door split in half. I will be getting some for all the doors.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:56 am

wulfen wrote:Saw a video of these from a local tv station. They were doing a review and took it to the next level and had the local SWAT team go at it. They got through with a battering, and by through i mean ended up after 20 something minutes of beating on the door split in half. I will be getting some for all the doors.
:lol:

That's funny. I recall seeing a video by the manufacturer where they show someone cutting through it, and it was done... but it required force, sawing, and more importantly, it required a lot more time... which is a thief's enemy if he's exposed, outside, trying to get in. A burglar may still do this if he's secluded in the back yard and out of sight, but it's at least a deterrent, for sure. But the blunt-force resistant can't be beat!!! That's too awesome! After living through many, many tornadoes in the Midwest, I'm not going to say nature won't break them, but I feel they'll at least provide a strong level of protection from hurricanes being able to bust through the windows, at least, now that I'm on the Gulf Coast area.

ZGhostRex9
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Hellsing (Anime), Zombieland

Post by ZGhostRex9 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Great review, just added to the list of things to get when I close on my house in 3 weeks.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster himself". Frederick Nietzsche

"'Cause all you need to change the world is one good lie and a river of blood" Capt. Price COD MW2

drunkensurvivor

Post by drunkensurvivor » Mon May 03, 2010 3:09 am

Good stuff OP... this is the type of real world, realistic survival info that we need more of here.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon May 03, 2010 4:31 am

If you are going to buy a steel door, go with a steel frame as well. The door, no matter how well you install it, is only going to be as strong as the frame is. Advantage to the steel frame , right off, is that the "old credit card trick" is impossible to get away with, if you size and install everything correctly. You can also add ALL those improvements you made to the steel door in the wood frame, though I doubt the hinge protection would be needed. Also, any exterior door should be set up with THREE hinges, never just two- it makes a much stronger barrier. And for the love of all that's right, don't ruin it all by buying cheap locks for it- avoid the Kwik-Set stuff.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

unslung

Post by unslung » Mon May 03, 2010 7:32 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:If you are going to buy a steel door, go with a steel frame as well. The door, no matter how well you install it, is only going to be as strong as the frame is. Advantage to the steel frame , right off, is that the "old credit card trick" is impossible to get away with, if you size and install everything correctly. You can also add ALL those improvements you made to the steel door in the wood frame, though I doubt the hinge protection would be needed. Also, any exterior door should be set up with THREE hinges, never just two- it makes a much stronger barrier. And for the love of all that's right, don't ruin it all by buying cheap locks for it- avoid the Kwik-Set stuff.
1. Where do you get steel framed doors? I never saw anything like that at my area hardware stores.
2. This is a three hinge door. The armor kit only comes with jamb reinforcement for top and bottom.
3. Where do you get Commercial / Industrial / Heavy Duty lock sets? These are Schlage commercial locks with an over sized bolt. Also the best that i could find in my local hardware stores. Lowes, Home Depot Etc...
4. Doors are inward opening, and the jamb is offset from the edge of the door. Unless i am mistaken you would have to remove about 3/8" of jamb to get anything like a credit card between the door and the jamb.
5. The main point of installing this product is to beef up the security of an existing door. I don't think that anyone would argue that a steel door with a steel frame and industrial locks installed by a security company would be a more rugged installation than is shown in this post. But like most people here i live in my home, with existing doors, hung on an existing door jamb, with existing locks. Removal of all functional exterior doors, jambs, knobs, locks, and structural framing , and replacement with an industrial security entry way is knowledge / time / cost prohibitive. Particularly when an existing entry door can be brought up to a fairly high level of security with relatively inexpensive materials that can be quickly installed by an average homeowner.
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Mon May 03, 2010 8:30 pm

My wife and I are going to be moving in 18 months so I have been hesitant to put to much more into the house but the price for these is pretty reasonable. I will certainly keep these and the security screen doors in mind for our next house. As someone that is not knowledgeable of housing repair/construction/pretty much anything how much difficulty is there in taking off the molding and then putting it back on? I am sure if I screwed that up with the first install my wife would squash any future installs.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

anotheroldfart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell, they're all good.

Post by anotheroldfart » Tue May 04, 2010 3:26 am

Another note about the steel screen the OP installed. It isn't the same style as the one I have installed, but very similar. They (at least the 2 varieties I have installed) have the added benifit of allowing you to see out while obscuring visibility from the outside.
Murphy's Military Corolary #1
Remember, your weapon system was provided by the lowest bidder...

unslung

Post by unslung » Tue May 04, 2010 6:14 pm

pyratemime wrote:My wife and I are going to be moving in 18 months so I have been hesitant to put to much more into the house but the price for these is pretty reasonable. I will certainly keep these and the security screen doors in mind for our next house. As someone that is not knowledgeable of housing repair/construction/pretty much anything how much difficulty is there in taking off the molding and then putting it back on? I am sure if I screwed that up with the first install my wife would squash any future installs.
Removal and installation of moulding is about a 1.2 on the Sasquatch home renovation difficulty scale of 10, it is not very difficult. If it is painted to the wall carefully cut the seam between between the wall and the moulding with a sharp razor knife so that it doesn't tear the paint / wallpaper when you pry off the moulding. Be careful not to pry to hard and break the moulding trying to remove it. You will almost inevitably have to remove and replace, or relocate the nails which hold the moulding in place. A new paint job to the trim after installation might be a good idea. Didn't you say that you were stationed on the Medina annex.? I was an Ammo troop stationed there in "93-94" small world, anyway, Good luck.
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

Kaptain

Post by Kaptain » Wed May 05, 2010 10:38 am

For commercial/industrial lock sets go to a good locksmith and pickup a set of Medeco locks. I have them on all my outdoor doors. When you pick one up right away you can feel the quality and the keys cannot be duplicated at your regular hardware store. They cost way more that the cheap locks At Home Depot but they are the best.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 pm

unslung wrote: 1. Where do you get steel framed doors? I never saw anything like that at my area hardware stores.Steel frames can be ordered through Lowes or Home Depot- when I first started working for Lowe's in '05, They put me in Millwork (apparently, being a master plumber made me a real prize there?) For off the shelf decent locks, Schlage is about as good as it gets before the prices ramp up considerably.
2. This is a three hinge door. The armor kit only comes with jamb reinforcement for top and bottom.
Well, if that's what you have, that's what you use, right? The reason I mention three hinges is for the extra resistance to being kicked in
3. Where do you get Commercial / Industrial / Heavy Duty lock sets? These are Schlage commercial locks with an over sized bolt. Also the best that i could find in my local hardware stores. Lowes, Home Depot Etc... (see above #1)
4. Doors are inward opening, and the jamb is offset from the edge of the door. Unless i am mistaken you would have to remove about 3/8" of jamb to get anything like a credit card between the door and the jamb.Correct- and it takes all of 10 seconds to do it with the standard wood frame, assuming they don't just kick it in, shattering the frame's wood. Adding the plates around your lock MIGHT help this, but only if you get them well anchored into really solid wood framing inside the walls.
5. The main point of installing this product is to beef up the security of an existing door. I don't think that anyone would argue that a steel door with a steel frame and industrial locks installed by a security company would be a more rugged installation than is shown in this post. But like most people here i live in my home, with existing doors, hung on an existing door jamb, with existing locks. Removal of all functional exterior doors, jambs, knobs, locks, and structural framing , and replacement with an industrial security entry way is knowledge / time / cost prohibitive. Particularly when an existing entry door can be brought up to a fairly high level of security with relatively inexpensive materials that can be quickly installed by an average homeowner.
Good point, and one I can appreciate, too. However, the expense of ordering a standard sized steel frame for your new door isn't all THAT costly. Assuming you don't have to completely re-build the inner framing of your walls to accommodate anything, the steel frame can be assembled in the empty framing rough-in space in very little time, as it's already measured and cut, pre-drilled, etc. Your new door blank can then be hung in the steel frame. If you look closely at the wooden frame, you can see where most brands are made of sections of wood, and then glued together, using a finger joint, making many small sections of wood into a length that is then painted to hide just how cheap and crappy it really is. The doorstop is also a weak point- rarely are the nails holding it on right where they would interfere with a credit card being slid between the stop and frame to pop the door bolt. Your new armor plates will probably address this, tho. With a steel frame, there is no seperate piece of molding as a stop, it's formed of the same piece of steel as the frame, and a credit card would have to make TWO 90 degree bends before it got to the bolt.

Another thing to watch for on door locks: be sure that when your door is fully closed, the smaller half-moon shaped bolt that slides with the "live bolt" of the doorknob does NOT go inside the striker plate. If it does, the ancient credit card trick will work on the doorknob, opening the door with the same movements internally as it has when the door closes. A retracted half moon bolt will stop the live bolt from moving in on it's own- try this with the door open some time, and you'll see what I mean. And, for the love of god, don't be like my landlord- install the lock cylinders so the teeth on the key go UP!!! You'll get much more wear out of the lock if the pins of the tumblers aren't accumulating crap on them.
I shall now climb down off my soapbox, continue on with your day :D
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:22 pm

I have been able to break through a door on one swing at the top of a wooden door splitting it down the middle. It all depends on the wood grain. Metal doors can buckle in a couple of shots again from the top of the door. two counter measures I would do are place a deadbolt at the top and bottom of the door to secure those weak spots and place reinforcement bands of steel across the door at 1 foot intervals with carriage bolts coming from the outside. it may look ugly as sin but it will keep the door splitting down the middle.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

MingTheMerciless

Post by MingTheMerciless » Tue May 11, 2010 11:49 pm

Thanks unslung for the "how to".

Unslung mentions switching out the screws and speaking as someone who owns several rent houses, just replacing the screws in the hinges and strike plates with longer screws will go a long way toward hardening the door.

The little screws that come with locksets and the ones that are used to attach the door in a prehung door frame just go into the ~3/4 inch frame. If you have a screw-gun/cordless drill it takes about 10 minutes to one by one switch out all of the screws in the strike plates and hinges. Longer screws will go into the studs and will make all of the difference in the world.

My favorite screws are the torx drive deck screws they sell at lowes, 4 inch for all of the screws through the frame so that they will make it into both layers of studs around the door frame and 2 inch screws into holes around the bolts and hinges. If you will drill a pilot hole with a 1/8th drill bit it will be less likely to split the wood.

The reinforcement frame described at the top of this thread is definitely stronger, but speaking from experience, if you switch to the longer screws, it will no longer be possible for someone to just shoulder the door open.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Here's some TARD TIPS that I learned today:

1. You will need a reciprocating saw to cut through the pussified screws and nails that your door is framed with. This will also be used to linger in spots and saw away material outside the door frame where the armor is too tight and squeezing your door out of square.

2. You will need a strong drill with good bits for pilot holes and screws.

3. You will need shims, unless your door is squared down tight like mine. Then you will need to use the sawzall to clearance area for the armor.

4. DJA is, to a certain extent "self-shimming". The giant 3 1/2" screws bite into your rough door frame and pull the armor away from the door and toward the wall, making room for itself.

5. Rubber mallet is a MUST. This can also be used to do a "retard radius" of the leading edge of the lock protectors so the door closes much easier and smoother.

Other than that, this product looks like a wonderfully cost effective (and very minimalist) way to make your door incredibly strong. Thumbs up for cost, ingenuity, strength, ease of installation, and even customer service. They forgot hinge plates with my order, and sent replacements out the same day I called.

Vicarious_Lee

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Another TARD TIP:

1. The DJA "Sidelight" kit is for doors that have a window integrally framed near the door. They are not for a door with a window 6" away that is sitting in a traditional door frame.

2. In a Sidelight door, these kits take considerable more effort to install.

3. In a non-sidelight door, these kits won't really work, and will take considerable effort to install, and jury rig.

4. Their customer service really is quite good. :oops: :lol:

KnightoftheRoc

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and rev

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:48 am

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Here's some TARD TIPS that I learned today:
5. Rubber mallet is a MUST. This can also be used to do a "retard radius" of the leading edge of the lock protectors so the door closes much easier and smoother.
My first thought on this was that establishing a retard radius should be step one: Take the rubber mallet, and swing it around in a circle- this will clear retards from watching you too closely and getting hit on the back swing. :D

And, before anyone gets their PC panties in a wad- I mean the DEE-DEE-DEE's, not some poor kid in a helmet who had no say in the matter. So lighten up. If my handicapped daughter doesn't take offense at my sense of humor, you sure as hell have no cause to.

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:19 am

KnightoftheRoc wrote:My first thought on this was that establishing a retard radius should be step one: Take the rubber mallet, and swing it around in a circle- this will clear retards from watching you too closely and getting hit on the back swing. :D

And, before anyone gets their PC panties in a wad- I mean the DEE-DEE-DEE's, not some poor kid in a helmet who had no say in the matter. So lighten up. If my handicapped daughter doesn't take offense at my sense of humor, you sure as hell have no cause to.
Beeing handicapped is a medical condition, deserving all proper care and respect.

Beeing a retard is something completely different, more deserving of a getting hit by a rubber mallet.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

Nurumkin

Post by Nurumkin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:49 pm

I can tell you that those are pretty nice, I have had to deal with a bunch of them doing lock changes on foreclosed houses. I will also commend you on what looks like a decent deadbolt. I can probably drill or pick a cheap deadbolt quicker then a normal person can get set up to kick it in. Best economy lock is a schlag with the ceramic plate in it because you have to tear it out with a bolt cutter before you drill it, which takes a couple min.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”