Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
unslung
* *
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: spokane wa.

Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by unslung » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQWDZzQfe7I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is the entire door jamb armor from the factory. This is the universal kit with two separate deadbolt brackets, two separate hinge brackets, one door jamb bracket, and a bag of 3 1/2" wood screws. I purchased this unit from Lowes hardware for $108.26 plus tax. They do not stock this item at any of the stores around my location so i had to order it in from the door department, which took about a week. I have never used or seen this product before, have no affiliation with this company, and do not profit from selling or installing any type of security products.
Image

2 deadbolt brackets and screws.

Image

2 hinge brackets and 1 door jamb bracket.

Image

This is the crappy side door to my house, the door frame shakes when you close the door. This is an inward opening door. A twelve year old girl could kick it open in approx. six seconds.

Image

The woman that lived here before me had a douche bag boyfriend that apparently liked to kick in doors. This busted mess is what is left.

Image

Disassemble the handle and deadbolt face from the door using a screwdriver.

Image

Leave the door cross bolts in place.

Image

Try not to break the deadbolt cross pin like some dumb ass that i know. Old and broken on right , new and expensive on the left.

Image

Slide doorknob covers over door knob hole, and screw in place then reinstall doorknob and deadbolt faces. This operation took about 17 minutes ( trip to the hardware store for a new deadbolt not withstanding )

Image

Remove the left and right side interior door moulding,leave the top piece.Remove the screws from the jamb side of the hinge. Using a sawzall cut any remaining screws or nails on the interior wall side of the door jamb so that the hinge bracket can slide over the jamb. Slide the hinge bracket over the jamb, around the hinge. Drill an 11/64" hole through the provided openings in the bracket, and hinge screw holes.
Image

Screw hinge bracket in place and while you are at it replace the 1" hinge screws with 3" screws that will bite in to the wall framing and door .

Image

Repeat with lower hinge bracket. Mine is into the foundation wall so instead of screws it is held in place with 3" concrete nails. This operation took about 45 minutes.

Image

My door framing is apparently made of fiberglass insulation. No wonder it was so flimsy. There is a 2" gap between the door jamb and the framing that it is supposed to be screwed to.

Image

I have removed the insulation and filled the gap with 2" of good lumber,installed the door jamb bracket on the door jamb, using the same sawzall and drill bit process previously outlined for the hinge brackets, and screwed the whole thing together with 4" wood screws. This operation took 2 hours but i had to totally re frame my door jamb. Actual time with good framing would be approx. 30 min.

Image

Door open with bracket installed.

Image

Crappy busted moulding has been reinstalled temporarily. You can see from this picture how much of the bracket shows.

Image

The puny screws on the left , which used to hold the hinges to the door and jamb have been replaced with the beefy wood screws on the right.

Image

Review ... i am a six foot 235# construction worker and i kicked and body checked this door until i was afraid the i would dent the door and it is solid as a rock . This product worked just as i expected from the advertising . This is very effective at making my crummy exterior door in to a heavy duty security door. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for an inexpensive way to beef up there home security.
Last edited by unslung on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Install and review. work in progress.

Post by raptor » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Great Post! Thanks for sharing it.

User avatar
unslung
* *
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: spokane wa.

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Install and review.

Post by unslung » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:42 pm

As a side note on the same project , i installed a security screen door with an additional door knob and deadbolt. This was also purchased form Lowes hardware. The security door cost $118 plus tax . It screws through the existing moulding with 4" proprietary head lag bolt. 3 on each side and 2 on the overhead bracket. The steel framing in this door is very stout once installed and it is backed by a fairly robust screen material. The door knob and deadbolt package was $46.99 and the clerk at Lowes changed them to fit my existing house keys at no additional cost. So i don't have multiple different keys to get in to my own house. I didn't even know that they could do that :D . This install took about 2 hours. All in all i am very happy with the extra security on this entrance and it is very reassuring to have it in place. I am so pleased with the way that this project came out that i am going to start hardening my other exterior doors in the same manner.
Image

Image
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

User avatar
Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: NW of San Jose... in the land of the Hell Mouth

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Wildeman_13 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Well done! Good note on the reinforcing of the space between the door frame and the true wall. Most people don't bother to check this spacing to see how open it could be. Good catch! Did you or were you able to check the other side by the hinges? I would hate to have that side split if someone truly wanted entry. But I guess with the metal door as well you are pretty safe. ;)

Quick note on the metal screen door. I tell people to use double keyed dead bolts on these for additional safety. Mostly if you ever leave the inside door open and the metal one locked for air circulation. The reason is that someone with the right tools can cut open the screen enough to get to the dead bolt and door locks. Yes it is tough and would take the right tools, but it does happen. With the double key dead bolts, there can't do squat. I put these on all side and back doors when I can. I leave the front door with the standard turn latch on the inside for fire safety, plus spare keys to the dead bolts close to those doors, just in case.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

User avatar
unslung
* *
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: spokane wa.

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by unslung » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Wildeman, I couldnt see into the wall on the hinge side but my long screws all found good purchase and seated solidly so i think I'm good. The bottom hinge is also anchored into the concrete foundation, and it is very solid. I will also do some thinking about double key deadbolts. That possibility had not crossed my mind. Thanks.
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

User avatar
Richter
* * * * *
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:35 am
Location: Utah

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Richter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:27 pm

nice! I've been trying to do this for a while...

how long did it take you to install everything? total time? like an afternoon?

User avatar
Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: NW of San Jose... in the land of the Hell Mouth

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Wildeman_13 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:30 pm

unslung wrote:Wildeman, I couldnt see into the wall on the hinge side but my long screws all found good purchase and seated solidly so i think I'm good. The bottom hinge is also anchored into the concrete foundation, and it is very solid. I will also do some thinking about double key deadbolts. That possibility had not crossed my mind. Thanks.
Not a problem. I know quite a few people that have the simple dead bolts with the turn latch on doors with glass windows on them or next to them. Kinda defeats the purpose of a dead bolt when someone can smash the window and open it from the inside.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

User avatar
unslung
* *
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: spokane wa.

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by unslung » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:39 pm

pmpmzd6 wrote:nice! I've been trying to do this for a while...

how long did it take you to install everything? total time? like an afternoon?
The door jamb armor took approx. 1 1/2 hr. as long as you don't run in to any big problems or break anything like i did. This time includes rummaging around for tools and prep work so it is actual time. But you don't have to install all of the parts at one time to maintain your current level of security. The security screen door took me 2 hrs. but that includes a trip to the hardware store .
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

Jaqen
*
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Central Florida

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Jaqen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Nicely illustrated post. Thanks!

User avatar
Vicarious_Lee
* * * * *
Posts: 6650
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:21 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911
Location: Tumblrina City, TX

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:09 pm

Wildeman_13 wrote:Not a problem. I know quite a few people that have the simple dead bolts with the turn latch on doors with glass windows on them or next to them. Kinda defeats the purpose of a dead bolt when someone can smash the window and open it from the inside.
Yes, it does. I have one of those. I'm pussyfooting on what to do, since my house is so unsecure in so many ways. I should prioritize replacing it with a keylock before armoring doors.

And thank you all upside your head for this thread, OP. I'm thinking it's Hall Of Fame worthy. There's a lot of talk about door jamb armor floating around. You can be the resident ZS expert on the topic. Great thread and thanks for contributing! :D
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...
Image

User avatar
Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: NW of San Jose... in the land of the Hell Mouth

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Wildeman_13 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Yes, it does. I have one of those. I'm pussyfooting on what to do, since my house is so unsecure in so many ways. I should prioritize replacing it with a keylock before armoring doors.

And thank you all upside your head for this thread, OP. I'm thinking it's Hall Of Fame worthy. There's a lot of talk about door jamb armor floating around. You can be the resident ZS expert on the topic. Great thread and thanks for contributing! :D
I'm no security expert, but the best way to prioritize is to walk around your house and think like a thief. Find the easiest ways in first. Criminals will almost always take the easiest path. From that list, figure out which you can afford to fix now and try to do one a month. Better than fretting and doing nothing.

And I second the vote to sticky this and HoF it!!!
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

User avatar
thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1989
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:46 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness
Location: Central NJ
Contact:

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by thelight » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks for the post. I've been curious to see an unbiased review of that product. Might have to put that on the BOL.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image
Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

User avatar
nyiangelo
* * * *
Posts: 848
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:17 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by nyiangelo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for reviewing this. I have 3 that I am installing in my house. Good to see a review on it.
A metal detector is like a new girl friend. Spend a lot of time with it, treat it right and it will give it up.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

mtnfolk mike
* * * *
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:57 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: the omega man..
Location: Santa Cruz mtns. CA.

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by mtnfolk mike » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:45 pm

very cool.. great post.... :)
>>>>-----LIFE IS A KNIFE----->

Trebor
* * * * *
Posts: 4444
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:14 am

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Trebor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:59 am

Good write up. Thanks for posting it.

How do you think the system would work on an interior door? I've been thinking of installing it on my gun room door for some added security.

I'd also probably do the exterior doors as well, but I actually might do the gun room door first as I can afford one door right now and not all three.
Image
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

User avatar
phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 11424
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:18 pm
Location: central tx

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:26 am

Excellent post - thanks!
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

User avatar
unslung
* *
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: spokane wa.

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by unslung » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 am

Trebor wrote:Good write up. Thanks for posting it.

How do you think the system would work on an interior door? I've been thinking of installing it on my gun room door for some added security.

I'd also probably do the exterior doors as well, but I actually might do the gun room door first as I can afford one door right now and not all three.
Not knowing what your door, door jamb, and frame are like, i would guess that it would turn the door into the weak link in that scenario. Most of the interior doors that i have seen are built for privacy not for security. If it is a low quality door maybe you could also replace the door with a good stout exterior door? I am doing that myself today with the back door on my house. Maybe one of the carpenters on the board will chime in. But i like the idea, and have done something very similar to what you are describing myself. It is very reassuring.

After thought... if you decide to go for it don't for get to measure the door thickness, door knob setback, and door knob to deadbolt spacing center to center. If you dont have a deadbolt on that door this would be a good excuse to get one :wink: . A couple of those heavy duty sliding bolt locks high and low on the inside of the door might not hurt either. Just saying
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

User avatar
Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 5576
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Sckitzo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:03 pm

Very nice, been thinking on that DJA for awhile, glad to hear it lives up to the hype.

User avatar
unslung
* *
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: spokane wa.

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by unslung » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:18 pm

Sckitzo wrote:Very nice, been thinking on that DJA for awhile, glad to hear it lives up to the hype.
I have another D.J.A. kit ordered. I should have it around the first of Feb. I will briefly let you know how that one went as well .
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

User avatar
whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Posts: 8187
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:34 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.
Location: Monterey Bay, California

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:22 pm

Awesome write-up and thanks for all the pics.

I don't like that the brackets are visible, though, especially on the outside. The fact that they're visible on the inside probably precludes me from installing it on my front door because it won't go with the wife's aesthetics. The fact that they're visible on the outside makes me nervous that someone may notice them and start paying too much attention.

I just noticed that the pictures on the vendor's site don't show these as being visible in the end. They're noticeable now that I re-watch the YouTube video, though.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

User avatar
unslung
* *
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: spokane wa.

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by unslung » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:13 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:Awesome write-up and thanks for all the pics.

I don't like that the brackets are visible, though, especially on the outside. The fact that they're visible on the inside probably precludes me from installing it on my front door because it won't go with the wife's aesthetics. The fact that they're visible on the outside makes me nervous that someone may notice them and start paying too much attention.

I just noticed that the pictures on the vendor's site don't show these as being visible in the end. They're noticeable now that I re-watch the YouTube video, though.
They are paint-able to match your door. This spring I am going to remove and repaint the entire door, so i have installed them without painting.
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

User avatar
Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1746
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: NW of San Jose... in the land of the Hell Mouth

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Wildeman_13 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:16 pm

If you do decide to replace your interior doors with something heavier... specifically an exterior door, make sure that you measure the opening to ensure it fits. Exterior doors tend to be larger/wider than interior. Also, older houses may not have standard sized door frames. You should remove all molding from your door frame and measure the width and height from the opening framing itself... not the door frame! This is critical if your door is not standard. Nothing worse than spending $100+ on a door that doesnt fit and forces you to reframe the entire doorway. Not that I have ever had to do that...

On the plus side, it helps to teach your basic framing skills and even dry walling. ;)
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

User avatar
JTNieman
* * * * *
Posts: 9409
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm
Location: Greater STL Area

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by JTNieman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:42 pm

For new construction, iirc, exterior doors are typically 3070, while interior are 2868. 3'0"x7'0", and 2'8"x6'8" respectively.

Trebor
* * * * *
Posts: 4444
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:14 am

Re: Door Jamb Armour, Security Screen Door , Install and review.

Post by Trebor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:01 pm

unslung wrote:
Trebor wrote:Good write up. Thanks for posting it.

How do you think the system would work on an interior door? I've been thinking of installing it on my gun room door for some added security.

I'd also probably do the exterior doors as well, but I actually might do the gun room door first as I can afford one door right now and not all three.
Not knowing what your door, door jamb, and frame are like, i would guess that it would turn the door into the weak link in that scenario. Most of the interior doors that i have seen are built for privacy not for security. If it is a low quality door maybe you could also replace the door with a good stout exterior door? I am doing that myself today with the back door on my house. Maybe one of the carpenters on the board will chime in. But i like the idea, and have done something very similar to what you are describing myself. It is very reassuring.

After thought... if you decide to go for it don't for get to measure the door thickness, door knob setback, and door knob to deadbolt spacing center to center. If you dont have a deadbolt on that door this would be a good excuse to get one :wink: . A couple of those heavy duty sliding bolt locks high and low on the inside of the door might not hurt either. Just saying
Thanks for the tips.

There is a deadbolt on that door now. When we moved in the first thing I did was have a locksmith install new, better, locks on the exterior doors. I recycled one of the old deadbolts by having it installed on that interior door. This also made it so that room uses a different key then all the exterior locks, just for when we loan keys to a friend to take care of our pets, etc.

I think what I might do is buy a set and see if it will work on the interior door. If it doesn't, I'll just install it on the front door instead.
Image
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”