Surviving on vacation during a disaster

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KC44
Favorite Zombie Movies: none

Surviving on vacation during a disaster

Post by KC44 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 pm

The Haiti earthquake got me thinking about an upcoming vacation to Mexico that my wife is forcing on me. I want to be prepared if something serious occurs so I am thinking of taking some of my survival gear with me. I just purchased a Lowe Alpine TFX Cerro Torre backpack (75+20) and it should hold everything I would normally put in a suitcase. My thinking is if SHTF then I will have an easy way to carry clothes/gear/food if there is an evacuation/bug out. I think the pack will fit in a blue Air Force duffel bag that my dad gave me years ago so the airport cargo dudes can’t destroy it.

Here is a list of survival gear I will be carrying:
Mainstay brick
MSR miniworks water filter / water purification tablets
Couple of 32oz water bottles that will fly empty and get filled up after arrival at hotel
Good quality custom built first aid kit from my GHB
Hand sanitizer/cotton balls/couple of lighters
Pair of flashlights with spare batteries
Midland survival portable crank radio
50’ of 550 cord
12’ square piece of heavy duty clear plastic (tarp)
Leatherman multi-tool

I am limited to a total of 50 pounds (pack, vacation clothes, dob kit, survival gear, etc) so I can't go totally crazy. Everything I take needs to be legal to go on an airplane.

What else? Is this whole idea too half baked?

GunnBorn
Favorite Zombie Movies: army of darkness
dawn of the dead

Re: Surviving on vacation during a disaster

Post by GunnBorn » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm

You could fill up the water bottles in the airport here in the states.

KC44
Favorite Zombie Movies: none

Post by KC44 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 pm

GunnBorn wrote:You could fill up the water bottles in the airport here in the states.
I could. The pack is too large for a carry on and will be checked baggage. I am concentrating on the 50 pounds total (and not paying the Airline a $50+ penalty fee) and having full water bottles in the cargo hold won't do me much good if there is a "Lost" episode. The hotel will have good quality water. The scenario I am planning for is a natural disaster and having the gear ready at the hotel or in the rental car. I need to expand my list of possible scenarios.

flyingredgoat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil. Cause the ONLY acceptable uniform for killing zombies is a cocktail dress and combat boots.

Post by flyingredgoat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:25 pm

KC. wrote:The Haiti earthquake got me thinking about an upcoming vacation to Mexico that my wife is forcing on me. I want to be prepared if something serious occurs so I am thinking of taking some of my survival gear with me. I just purchased a Lowe Alpine TFX Cerro Torre backpack (75+20) and it should hold everything I would normally put in a suitcase. My thinking is if SHTF then I will have an easy way to carry clothes/gear/food if there is an evacuation/bug out. I think the pack will fit in a blue Air Force duffel bag that my dad gave me years ago so the airport cargo dudes can’t destroy it.

Here is a list of survival gear I will be carrying:
Mainstay brick
MSR miniworks water filter / water purification tablets
Couple of 32oz water bottles that will fly empty and get filled up after arrival at hotel
Good quality custom built first aid kit from my GHB
Hand sanitizer/cotton balls/couple of lighters
Pair of flashlights with spare batteries
Midland survival portable crank radio
50’ of 550 cord
12’ square piece of heavy duty clear plastic (tarp)
Leatherman multi-tool

I am limited to a total of 50 pounds (pack, vacation clothes, dob kit, survival gear, etc) so I can't go totally crazy. Everything I take needs to be legal to go on an airplane.

What else? Is this whole idea too half baked?
A bottle of pepto. The only place you'll be running to is the john, if you get Montesuma's revenge. :twisted:

I would take (and learn) the numbers to the consulate and the embasies. It's amazing how much goes through them sometimes. (Yes, it's only sometimes).

Carry some cash stashed in different places. That way if you get held up, you don't lose it all.

BTW, I had a swiss army knife confiscated because it's a "weapon". They have had a lot of problems with holdups on public transportation. Knives are the main culprit. So don't wear it on your belt.

Also, butane lighters are not supposed to fly. I have never heard of a problem, and I have never heard of the authorities doing anything. Butane are compressed cannisters and theoretically could explode.

K
Merovech wrote:Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:32 pm

Photocopies of your important documents (passport, credit cards, ect) kept separate from the originals.

And anti-dairrheal, just in case.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Seems mostly OK.

There's a few threads floating around on the intersection between BoBs and airline restrictions - a search should surface them pretty easily and probably a few good tips in them.

BunkerBuster had a thread about a bad vacation in Mexico. I don't recall if there were any gear tips in that thread, but it did generate a lot of discussion.

In various nooks and crannies of the following website, there is exceptional advice, but it will take awhile to soak it all in. I enjoyed the advice about making it through/out of a revolution with no preps at all (except cash). There will be bits in there that are NSFW, and Not Safe for ZS, either.
http://straightforwardinacrookedworld.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

rpc

Post by rpc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:43 pm

I believe that the lighters will not be allowed in checked baggage, but I think you can have one lighter in your carry on. Lighters will be widely available in Mexico, so you should be able to get one at a hotel gift shop.

Normal alkaline batteries should be OK in either, but you are not allowed to bring spare LiIon rechargable batteries, unless they are in the device they're for. The leatherman will have to go in your checked bags.

I'm not sure I would bother bringing empty water bottles. I would just buy a couple of bottles of water at the hotel gift shop or a convenience store. (OXXO is the Mexican equivalent of 7-11.) While there, I would also stock up on various packages of chips, cookies, candies, etc. All such items, as long as they're in a package of the type you would find in the U.S. will be of very good quality, and most are really good, typically better than U.S. junk food. I would also bring along a little bit of U.S. junk food (cookies, crackers, etc.) to eat on the airplane.

The plastic tarp seems unnecessary. The hotel where you are staying will presumably have sheets and blankets, and they could be borrowed in an emergency.

Most hotels will have CNN or a similar channel in English, so you can keep tabs on any dangers headed your way. In case of disaster, the Mexican Red Cross seems to do an excellent job, so you can expect some assistance, although the food they feed you might be unfamiliar, so your cache of junk food could be particularly important.

In case of disaster, I would try to contact the U.S. embassy or consulate. However, if transportation were available to a safe area, I would probably just try to self-evacuate. This, of course, is best done before the actual disaster hits.

A portable radio is always a good idea, but remember that there won't be much to listen to in English. The last time I was in Mexico City, there was one FM station in English, but that's about it. I would try to be somewhat familiar with shortwave stations that might have useful information. Also, depending on where you are, you might be able to get some U.S. AM stations at night.

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:57 pm

flyingredgoat wrote: A bottle of pepto. The only place you'll be running to is the john, if you get Montesuma's revenge. :twisted:
Buy the pill form. Works almost as fast and is easier to carry around. Plus it doesn't count as a liquid for TSA rules. I always carry a bottle with me along with the usual pain meds and such.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

TheDelusionalBlogger

Post by TheDelusionalBlogger » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:40 am

I don't know if your first aid kit would have this stuff, but make sure to bring some Tylenol, Motrin, Aspirin, etc.
If you have the time, and want to read a blog all about the coming zombie invasion check out The Delusional Blogger. Let me know what you think!

Iprotectmine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead

Post by Iprotectmine » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:03 am

I always take a half-full normal-sized backpack with some essentials when going to different countries. Water filter, 550 paracord, first aid kit, water bottle, toilet paper, that sort of thing. It would make a crappy bugout bag, but it still helps. You'll need something to carry water anyway, might as well include a few other useful items. It paints me as a tourist, but most places I travel that's already pretty clear. I carry it on the plane so it's always with me, which means some items have to go in my checked bag until I get there.

Just beware that some tourist sites you may visit in some countries have metal detectors. In Egypt, I went to visit a monument and forgot I had a small and sharp metal item in my pocket. Fortunately, security was there to protect us poor vulnerable tourists (read: future tourist money) from potential attackers, not the other way around. When the detector beeped, they waved me right through. Still, I should not have put myself in that position. I didn't run across any metal dectectors in Mexico (outside of the airport), but I didn't visit the whole country.

Regarding Montazuma's revenge: get some Cipro. Gotta get it by prescription, but that's a pretty standard prescription. And it works. I almost never take any sort of drugs or medicine, but my one major exception is Cipro. I've had diarrhea in Mexico, and it's no fun to crap 10 times a day when at least 5 of those bathrooms are direct portals to hell (and they don't have toilet paper). Cipro will fix that pretty quickly.

Iprotectmine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead

Post by Iprotectmine » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:06 am

Also, a small flashlight has proven VERY useful on two of my trips to foreign countries. Once for a power outage on an overnight sleeper train, and once when the entire city of Rio di Janiero had a power outage.

bluesquid
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALLLLLLLLL

Post by bluesquid » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:41 am

with all due respect, taking cipro for MR is like getting chemo for a cold. Those antibiotics are a last resort. Can you say spontaneous tendon rupture?

But +1 on the pepto. I had MR for 2 weeks after coming back from Cabo. And I never drank the water. Could be a real pain in the ass in a survival scenario. :D
FEED YOUR WOLVES WISELY! "The best battle rifle ever made is the FAL bar none".

Hannibal
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead (68), Land of the Dead, Most asian kung fu zombie movies!

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Really when traveling the first thing I would pack is my MacGuyver skills. How can you make things in your immediate area function as the gear you are used to having? Sometimes thinking outside the box can keep you from ending up inside of a bag.

For refrence The infamous "What good is it?" thread... http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=29421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

therianthrope
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead

Post by therianthrope » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:15 pm

And I never drank the water.
Did you have any ice in your mixed drinks/soda or wash your hands in a public restroom or maybe a salad with lettuce (washed) in it? There's plenty of ways to consume their water besides from a glass.

As for the OP.

KC, dunno if you have any capacity for the language, but it might not be a bad idea to bring a spanish-english/english-spanish travel dictionary. Most of the service industry and stores and shops people you'll deal with may know at least some english, but if there's an emergency, authorities -or anyone you may want to ask for help/recieve information from- may not. Even single words can communicate at least something.

LeeG

Post by LeeG » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:51 pm

I have friends that travel Central America often and they highly recommend a Steripen. http://www.steripen.com

It lets them purify water in cafes and restaurants.
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Lazarus Long

Preparing is the opposite of wishing.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”