Where to start

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DeadHorse

Where to start

Post by DeadHorse » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:29 pm

I know this is probably redundant, but so is looking through 42 pages of posts. I'm just looking for some info on where to start preparing myself.

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Re: Where to start

Post by roOism » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Preparing for what? That's a pretty broad statement. Prepare for the PAW? Prepare for natural disasters? Prepare for unemployment?

There's a few general emergency preps that I think everyone should do (not quite there myself).

Stock up on food storage/water.
Start saving an emergency fund
Prepare a 72hr Kit (Bug Out Bag).

In the bug out gear section the first few posts have a veritable plethora of instructions and pictures of Bug out Bags and prep kits.

Depending on your housing situation, you might consider starting (or expanding if you already have one) a garden, nothing says self reliance like growing your own food.

Again this is all just pretty general stuff. If you want specific answers you need to ask specific questions.

Cheers
~roO
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

roOism

Post by roOism » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:45 pm

Also, they like us to hop into the introduction section and say hello, might want to do that :)

DeadHorse

Post by DeadHorse » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:51 pm

Just hopped on and said hello, and thanks for the info to start.
I live with my parents right now and we have something like a 40' by 20' garden, 16 chickens (though 15 are not fully grown yet ).

propdoc
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead

Post by propdoc » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:18 pm

DeadHorse wrote:I know this is probably redundant, but so is looking through 42 pages of posts. I'm just looking for some info on where to start preparing myself.
Welcome to Zombie Squad.

Yes, there's a lot here, and if you've just figured out that sane people should prepare and "OH MY FRAKIN' GOD, I DON"T HAVE JACK SHIT!!!!" then you might feel the need to get prepped quick.

:wink:

The good thing is you don't need to rush it. I'd actually say, take a few weekends and read some of those 42 pages. You'll find quite a few similar posts to yours where you'll find tons of reqs on how to get started and what's nice, you'll find a few threads to get you thinking completely outside your current expectations of what prepping means.
Last edited by propdoc on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roOism

Post by roOism » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Awesome sauce, with a garden and livestock like that you're leaps and bounds ahead of city dwellers like myself that have a back yard that can only grow the local scorpion population :P

What do you have in the way of food storage/water storage? Erik posted an excellent piece on water storage: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=24111

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:06 pm

food, water, and a means to aquire more if need be.
since you have a garden and chickens, you have a jump on meat and veggies, so you may want to stock up on starch (rice/pasta).
but start with water, the most baic of needs. without water your screwed. start with 1 gallon per person per day times ?? number of days. shoot for a week to start. plus how do you water the garden? rain barrels may be in order.
i always tell someone starting out to think about everything you need in an average day that requires outside resources, then imagine those resources are gone. how will you provide them for yourself. how dependant are you on electricity? how will you prepare the food you have stored?
once you have the basic needs covered, work on the gear to get more when supplies run low. water filtration, firearms to harvest deer and other food animals. seeds to grow more veggies.
then move to more involved requirements. medical supplies to handle any emergency, from simple illness to a broken bone or gunshot wound. sustainment supplies: how will you provide clothing, heat, light, food storage, communtication, or transportation for you and yours when going to walmart is no longer an option? think 1700/1800's pioneer stuff. when folks had to make do with what was in the wagon or what the land provided, and the only thing that could be counted on was yourself and the sweat of your brow. search the web about survival, homesteading, self-reliance, and primitive living. or if you have more specific targeted questions feel free to ask here. welcome to the wonderful wacky world of zs....
“Blessed be God, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.”
Psalms 144;1

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:53 pm

Prep for the ZPAW and everything will be fine. You'll need a Get Home Bag (GHB), or a Bail Out Bag (BOB), or and I'm Never Coming Home (INCH) kit. Lots of awesome acronyms and things to learn. These guys have really taught me a lot in my short time here, and there's plenty of motivation and ideas. A great wealth of info and advice here.
"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:06 am

You found ZS.

Now start reading.

Continue asking questions (a bit more specific ones will give you more specific advice :wink: ).

That's an excellent way to start - you're a lucky guy!
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:31 am

My stock advice for this question is when you go shopping you should pick up a couple extra of whatever non-perishables you normally use. Just a bit here and there. Some extra soup this week, a few extra cans of beefaroni the next, and before you know it, you've got a stash built up of the same stuff you're already used to eating.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:23 am

My advice is to take stock of what is already in the cupboard and start picking up extras. Keep doing this until you have 3 months (minimum) of food supplies.
Then look at water...is there city water, which could go out? then pick up water (not the water that comes in milk type jugs).
Then think about what you are prepping for...natural disaster, economic collapse, grid going down....then start gathering supplies that you will need in the way of arming yourself for hunting and protection.

Everyone should have a decent first aid kit and a backpack that will enable them to survive for 3 days (walking home in case of emergency etc) This backpack should be in your vehicle.
It sounds like you live a healthy lifestyle with the garden and chicks. Talk to your parents and see if they are on board, once you have a few ideas.
Good luck!
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:29 am

DeadHorse wrote:I know this is probably redundant, but so is looking through 42 pages of posts. I'm just looking for some info on where to start preparing myself.
First, sit down and make a list of the hypothetical scenarios that you want to prepare for.

Next, make a list of the people that you are preparing for.

Lastly, decide whether for each of those scenarios you are going to be bugging in (staying home) or bugging out to some other location (BOL).

Once you have that you can starting the physical part of preparing. I missed your location but think of all your hypothetical scenarios as storms in life. You probably have a plan for whatever bad weather affects your area. Preparing for those life storms is similar.

Food and water will likely take priority right after shelter. You are also going to need some way to cook the food you are collecting. Bare minimum you will need a realistic way to boil water.

Cheapest way to prep food - aside from growing and preserving it yourself - is to just buy one or two extras of items when you pick them up at the grocery store and to watch for sales. For buying I would lay in two types of food ... longer term bulk items like rice and dried beans AND some convenience foods that get you through the times when you have minimal ability to cook or if things are so crazy you just to have time to cook (i.e., canned soups, canned pasta, canned meats, etc.). A good rule to remember is store what you eat and eat what you store. It minimizes expense and wastefulness.

+1 to Erik's water storage thread at the link that was mentioned. Fifty gallon barrels are an easy way to store and rotate water if you have the room for them. No milk jugs, they deteriorate too quickly and you wind up with a mess on your hands (been there done that).

For specific scenarios just sing out and there are lots of us who are more than willing to share our experiences and plans or at least point you in the direction of an existing thread on the topic.

Hope this helps.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:29 am

Kathy in FL wrote:A good rule to remember is store what you eat and eat what you store. It minimizes expense and wastefulness.
+1

Not to mention that a sudden radical change in diet to rice and beans would make your digestive system crash.

Which would be... inconvenient... in a time of crisis.

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:39 am

A DoublePlusGood +1 to what Kathy says re: planning and and thinking through what your goals and concerns are first. (But building a FAK and a BOB are so fun and fundamental that there's no harm in doing that at the same time :D )
Although it's pretty heavy and intimidatingly, manic-ly thorough ...go check out the "Listening to Katrina" blog (A quick Google search will get you there). The author makes a HUGE push for the conceptual planning part and recommends a "Life Goes On Bag" which makes good sense to me.
Since your group includes your parents, their witting cooperation with your plans would be wonderful. You haven't specified their level of interest in preparedness (although I guess the 16 chickens suggest they're cool with it.) The Life Goes On Bag is a heck of a lot of work up front, and they would either be very disturbed by it, or inordinately grateful.
(Note to myself: I know my dad would be in freaking bliss if I did this for him, and I just haven't been able to find the time, darn it!)
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

Rí na hÉire
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1: 28days later
2: Shawn of the Dead
3: Dawn of the Dead
4: Pet Cemetary (not really a zombie movie)
5: Land of the dead

Post by Rí na hÉire » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 am

Water water water water. Whatever situation happens the first thing you will regret is not having water. You can live for weeks without food, you can live a life without guns(but they are shiny and fun to play with), but try going a few days without water. If you lose 2.5% of your body weight in water you lose 25% efficiency.

Start reading old threads cause lots of stuff has already come up already.
Here's a few handy tips;
1. If TSHTF never think a shopping centre is a good idea
2. A katana is not a good zombie weapon(don't listen to the katana prick brigade)
3. Don't tell people what preps you have if you are encouraging them to prepare for a SHTF situation.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... ce#p966142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(just be warned)
4. Check out Erik's styff and feel completely inadequate.
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=46449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can I either aim for this level of preparedness or you sleep happy in the knowledge that somebody somewhere is crazier and more paranoid than you.

Good luck and good hunting!
With the right shade of sunglasses you can take a dog anywhere.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, guns defend people from people with smaller guns!

I am Hurley/Crowbar/Spatula/Para-cord and pro-bayonet

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:44 am

Also, be sure to mention Blue Phone Cord a lot as that tends to be popular.
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:03 pm

As soon as you wake up, go to the bathroom, relieve yourself, brush your teeth, grab a shower, dry off, put on deodorant, comb your hair, then get dressed. That way, when you walk out of your front door, you're not only legal, you're presentable, and your day can proceed as you choose.

No joke. Do this every day, first thing.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

DeadHorse

Post by DeadHorse » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:04 pm

Wow, thanks a lot guys. I need to take all of this in as best i can. Also, we have a well, so how important is water storage to us??

Kabong30

Post by Kabong30 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:34 pm

DeadHorse wrote:Wow, thanks a lot guys. I need to take all of this in as best i can. Also, we have a well, so how important is water storage to us??

Man, I wish I had a well. Just on the face of it not knowing much about them I'd have a tank or something that held a good amount just in case your well got contaminated. Couple hundred gallons?

Pondo_Sinatra

Post by Pondo_Sinatra » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:02 pm

SMoAF wrote:As soon as you wake up, go to the bathroom, relieve yourself, brush your teeth, grab a shower, dry off, put on deodorant, comb your hair, then get dressed. That way, when you walk out of your front door, you're not only legal, you're presentable, and your day can proceed as you choose.

No joke. Do this every day, first thing.
Is it okay that sometimes I skip the shower if I'm coming back home in a short period of time and am planning on getting dirty/sweaty?

And to the OP: What everyone else said.

I'm not an expert, but I would suggest as a minimum to start out with at least 30 days worth of food, water, and medicine (prescription meds and vitamins/supplements). Add a first aid kit (basic), fire extinguisher, matches/lighters, duct tape, tarps, rope, knife, and a good pair of boots/shoes.

After that, take a look at your budget and decide (honestly) what you can afford to spend every month to increase your preps. It would be easy to run out and spend thousands of dollars buying supplies, but it would be better to add maybe 10-20% to your shopping budget to increase your level of preparedness. Start with the basics, get to your target level, and grow from there. BOB's, FAK's, caches, firearms/ammo, the sky 9and the floor load limit in your home) is literally the limit.

Read through the forums. There's a LOT (understatement of the decade) of good information. You need to decide for yourself how much you're going to be comfortable with buying and storing. Three months worth of supplies? A year? Two years?

Realizing that you need more and being willing to do something to change that is a great first step.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:08 pm

farblue wrote: I'm not an expert
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I thought we all were!

If I didn't, I would never have paid the insane amounts of money it costs us to join this forum!

Aw. From now on, I'll have to pay more attention, and not take anything for granted.

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:09 pm

Kabong30 wrote:
DeadHorse wrote:Wow, thanks a lot guys. I need to take all of this in as best i can. Also, we have a well, so how important is water storage to us??

Man, I wish I had a well. Just on the face of it not knowing much about them I'd have a tank or something that held a good amount just in case your well got contaminated. Couple hundred gallons?
and how does that water get up out of the well? electric pump run by grid power? do you have a generator or solar power to run that pump? or atleast a removeable top you can dip a bucket in? if not, that well is useless when the power goes out.
“Blessed be God, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle.”
Psalms 144;1

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:14 pm

That depends. Is your well dependent upon electricity to get the water to you? If so, and there's a problem with the electrical supply, how will you get the water out of the ground? Having water in a well that you cannot access would well and truly suck.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

grey_fox

Post by grey_fox » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:33 pm

I'm new here myself but, I just wanted to add my two cents... being somewhat physically fit seems to be something that is often over-looked.
When in doubt empty the magazine.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”