generator

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

generator

Post by thefirebuilds » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:21 am

I've finally got the cash to afford a generator, and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. For $999 Gander has the Honda 2000 gas unit which will work great for my race weekends and emergencies. My question is are there comparable units available with similar sound production and engine/low maintenance qualities?

A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

nyiangelo

Re: generator

Post by nyiangelo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:40 am

Is that one of the super quiet models. I looked at em too last year. If it is, pull the trigger.
A metal detector is like a new girl friend. Spend a lot of time with it, treat it right and it will give it up.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

thefirebuilds

Post by thefirebuilds » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:45 am

they're so quiet that at a race track you can't usually hear them over the ambient traffic noise. At night its a low hum about like one of their honda mopeds running at idle. super super quiet. super super expensive :p

nyiangelo

Post by nyiangelo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 am

Yeah but the reason I put this on my list is because if I ever have to use it I don't want the whole neighborhood to know. Besides there are crappy generators out there. Cosider it an investment.
A metal detector is like a new girl friend. Spend a lot of time with it, treat it right and it will give it up.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:17 am

Cool. I've been using my pickup as a generator on stormy nights when the power goes out. I hook up a 750 watt inverter
to the battery and run an extension cable into the house to power a couple lights and a radio.
I'd love to get something like the OP posted, for portable use, and I'd also like to set up a Lister gennie here at the house.
It oughta provide enough juice to keep some lights, my network, and a freezer going, while also supplementing our hot water
supply. Ya use something like a 55 gallon drum to hold cooling water. If you go with a heat-exchanger, the water will be isolated
from the engine itself and can be used for household hot water. Cool, huh?
http://www.utterpower.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

stilagrrl
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Omega Man

Post by stilagrrl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:52 pm

We have the EU2000I and it's great. Super quiet, very reliable (always starts on the first pull) and it's lightweight enough to be easily transported. The EU3000 has higher peak wattage, but it's also heavy. The other advantage of the EU2000 is that if you end up getting a second one, you can tie them together with the parallel kit and get close to 4000 watts peak output. You should make sure you add some Pri-G or Stabil to the fuel or simply run it until it's out of fuel to keep it from getting gummed up when not in use.

However, don't expect miracles from it. You can certainly run a microwave off of it. You can also easily run a refrigerator off of it, but you probably can't run both at the same time. Well, you can probably run them, but if the refrigerator motor kicks in while you're microwaving, it might not be able to keep up.
Last edited by stilagrrl on Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:59 pm

This is slightly OT, but I bought, and love, a power inverter that plugs into and runs off of my car...it cost about $25 bucks, runs lights and TV/DVD, weighs about a pound, and is as big as a big paperback book...

I've used it on a bunch of ZSNY camping trips, and in a couple of power outages, to keep the natural world and the dark at bay...

My parents bought a nice Honda generator a couple of years ago, and haven't lost power since...it is sitting in the basement gathering dust...I'd rather run the risk of losing some frozen food and save $1000...

JMHO...YMMV...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

thefirebuilds

Post by thefirebuilds » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:13 pm

stilagrrl wrote:We have the EU2000I and it's great. Super quiet, very reliable (always starts on the first pull) and it's lightweight enough to be easily transported. The EU3000 has higher peak wattage, but it's also heavy. The other advantage of the EU2000 is that if you end up getting a second one, you can tie them together with the parallel kit and get close to 4000 watts peak output. You should make sure you add some Pri-G or Stabil to the fuel or simply run it until it's out of fuel to keep it from getting gummed up when not in use.

However, don't expect miracles from it. You can certainly run a microwave off of it. You can also easily run a refrigerator off of it, but if you probably can't run both at the same time. Well, you can probably run them, but if the refrigerator motor kicks in while you're microwaving, it might not be able to keep up.
when one considers fuel consumption, unit costs, and power output it's almost a better deal to run two units in tandem rather than pop for the heavier, louder, thirstier 3k model. The onboard ECU does a really good job of regulating RPMs and power production and of course there is the manual advantage of shutting down one motor when not needed.

yale

Post by yale » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:21 pm

...I'd rather run the risk of losing some frozen food and save $1000...
Many of us have weighed the options and come to the same decision. Unless I have a large chest freezer loaded to the top with frozen steaks I don't thing the cost of a genny is worth it. It's not just the cost of the unit itself but the cost of gas which I will have to keep feeding it every couple of hours. After Katrinia my sister's family ran their generator for about a week. The amount of money they spent on gas plus the hassle of FINDING gas after a major storm just wsn't worth it. They sold the generator soon after the storm. It's cheaper to just toss the stuff in the trash when it spoils in the freezer/fridge and buy new food after the event.
President/Founding member of Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)
http://www.laopencarry.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hayling
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Hayling » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:54 am

Yeah those super quiet ones are nice. Mine sounds like a freakin' go-kart. Get's reaaal old hearing that thing roaring in the garage for extended periods of time.

As has been pointed out, you don't want to advertise that you have a generator...so the smaller sound signature is worth the investment.
"I will be out of toilet paper long before the batteries die anyway. Why live if you can't wipe in comfort?" - RadioShooter

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:26 am

We have a generator, some years we have used it a lot, others not at all. However, I have to say that it has paid for itself in the savings from lost food and having to go to a hotel. Although our situation is different now (no needing to go to a hotel), we recently lost over $500+ in food during the ice storm, while the generator wasn't working. We diagnosed the genny and have decided to get a new one that is hooked up to our propane, with an switch that I can work instead of a pull cord.
If we use it twice in the next 6 years, it will pay for itself (based on a loss of electricity for more than 72 hours)
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thefirebuilds

Post by thefirebuilds » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:21 am

Hayling wrote: Get's reaaal old hearing that thing roaring in the garage for extended periods of time.
you know people die from that every year...

thefirebuilds

Post by thefirebuilds » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:23 am

yale wrote:
...I'd rather run the risk of losing some frozen food and save $1000...
Many of us have weighed the options and come to the same decision. Unless I have a large chest freezer loaded to the top with frozen steaks I don't thing the cost of a genny is worth it. It's not just the cost of the unit itself but the cost of gas which I will have to keep feeding it every couple of hours. After Katrinia my sister's family ran their generator for about a week. The amount of money they spent on gas plus the hassle of FINDING gas after a major storm just wsn't worth it. They sold the generator soon after the storm. It's cheaper to just toss the stuff in the trash when it spoils in the freezer/fridge and buy new food after the event.
Gas is $2/gallon. Honda runs 3 gallons/day. that's $45-50 over the course of a week.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:21 am

If you have access to natural gas through a local utility I would suggest that serious though to one of the smaller NG powered units. This coupled with your Honda generator gives you access to multiple fuel sources and the convenience of having fuel without standing in line for gasoline as long as the utility can supply NG.

thefirebuilds

Post by thefirebuilds » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:51 am

raptor wrote:If you have access to natural gas through a local utility I would suggest that serious though to one of the smaller NG powered units. This coupled with your Honda generator gives you access to multiple fuel sources and the convenience of having fuel without standing in line for gasoline as long as the utility can supply NG.
There is a propane converter for it, and I've considered that. LP is an alternative. I don't have NG available in my home or my primary BOL, but I have LP stored at both.

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:23 am

Get yourself a kill-a-watt meter to hook up to the appliances you plan to use that device with so you know exactly how many amps/watts you'll need. I got one of these over the winter and then sold it because it ran nothing I had, except a few CFB lights, fan, sump pump... all I can run off of 12v batteries/inverters. The compressor on refrigerator and freezer wouldn't kick on due to pulling more amps then the EU2000 produced - now remember, the EU2000's max surge is around 1685 watts, and the plug is only a 13.5amp.

Yes, my refrig and chest freezer are within 5 years old and even running the genny without the eco throttle engaged wouldn't run the units. They just kicked the overload off the compressors.

Also, the 12v fuction for it sucks, you're better off plugging a battery charger into the genny and running it off that - the newer Duracell 12v battery chargers are great to charge batteries, then run your devices (low amp/watt) off of marine deep cycle batteries/inverters.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

Biff

Post by Biff » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:39 pm

. . .
Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:16 pm

for those who have and run it (EU2000i) with their fridge/freezer units, how many amps/watts are your units pulling on startups? Did you even check it? OR did you just plug it in and hope it worked? My Kill-a-Watt meter had starting amps a little over 1800ish for the refrig/freezer and just shy over 1700w for the freezer.

Northern Parts and tools has a couple comparable units to the Honda EU2000i. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200373666

and

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200359066
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

thefirebuilds

Post by thefirebuilds » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:19 pm

You know B&S is a local company and god bless you for pushing them, but a briggs motor has nothing on Honda anymore.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:39 pm

Biff wrote:
To the issue of fuel consumption: On those occasions when I've used it, I don't let it run 24 hours a day. Starting in the morning I run it 4 hrs. on- 4 hrs. off for sixteen hours, then I shut it off overnight. The freezer contents won't thaw overnight if I keep the door closed. I'm not so worried about the expense of the fuel, but having it in case I need to bug out.
BTW one little trick if you are doing this; is to freeze about 4 -1 gallon water jugs the freezer.

Then about 10 minutes before you shut off the generator move the water jugs into the refrigerator compartment. The frozen water jugs will help keep the frig cooler longer or leave them in the freezer and it will also help keep the freezer cooler longer. When you start up the generator and the frig/freezer the water jugs will start to freeze all over again. Viola, a primitive holding plate refrigeration system.

Hayling
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Hayling » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:49 pm

thefirebuilds wrote:
Hayling wrote: Get's reaaal old hearing that thing roaring in the garage for extended periods of time.
you know people die from that every year...
Well when I run it the garage door is open and the generator is on wheels so it just sits right in the door.

Luckily there's plenty of distance between me and the neighbors. It's a Coleman Powermate 5000.
"I will be out of toilet paper long before the batteries die anyway. Why live if you can't wipe in comfort?" - RadioShooter

Red_Ramage

Post by Red_Ramage » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:08 pm

raptor wrote:
BTW one little trick if you are doing this; is to freeze about 4 -1 gallon water jugs the freezer.

Then about 10 minutes before you shut off the generator move the water jugs into the refrigerator compartment. The frozen water jugs will help keep the frig cooler longer or leave them in the freezer and it will also help keep the freezer cooler longer. When you start up the generator and the frig/freezer the water jugs will start to freeze all over again. Viola, a primitive holding plate refrigeration system.
Water has a lot of heat holding capacity. Tangentally related is the trick to keep a barrel of water in a root cellar. The water freezes and moderates the temperature of the room. I've heard of fruit growers spraying water on fruit to protect them from frost damage. Thermodynamics is fun!
Kipling wrote:But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew, An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!

thefirebuilds

Post by thefirebuilds » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Red_Ramage wrote:
raptor wrote:

Water has a lot of heat holding capacity. Tangentally related is the trick to keep a barrel of water in a root cellar. The water freezes and moderates the temperature of the room. I've heard of fruit growers spraying water on fruit to protect them from frost damage. Thermodynamics is fun!
The cranberry farmers do this to their bogs up north do this when a frost is coming. Big companies do a similar thing with their Air Conditioners... freeze water at night when electricity demand is down and subsequently cheaper (and ambient temp is lower) and then use the block during the day to cool the building.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:10 pm

thefirebuilds wrote: Big companies do a similar thing with their Air Conditioners... freeze water at night when electricity demand is down and subsequently cheaper (and ambient temp is lower) and then use the block during the day to cool the building.
Sailors/boaters do this also with holding plates to minimize fuel and electrical consumption on board a boat. On my boat you only have to run the compressor about an hour a day to freeze the holding plate coolant in the frig/freezer. It will keep the proper temperature for about 23 hours. However my boats frig has 4 inches of foam insulation and the freezer has 6 inches and they are both top loading so the cold air does not spill out when you open the door.

kinda like this
http://www.technauticsinc.com/blue.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”