What did you get for Christmas that is a PAW Prep Item?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Did you get anything useful for the ZPAW at Christmas?

No, my family thinks I'm crazy
17%
No, my family gives Yanni CD's
7%
Yes, my family understands
37%
Yes, my family ROCKS!
39%

Total votes: 149

Rainman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, 28 Days Later

Re: What did you get for Christmas that is a PAW Prep Item?

Post by Rainman » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Slim-pickins this year:
1. A small stamped-metal "wallet" multi-tool (mostly slots for various nuts/bolts, a serrated edge and a sharp edge, etc.)
2. The green light to order some ammo for upcoming duck hunt... oops! Did that box of JHPs fall into the cart, too? And that spam can of surplus ammo? Oh, darn!

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:15 pm

got some really nice REI cookware and utensils
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

EDSLocklear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by EDSLocklear » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:35 am

I got an Israeli M15 Gas Mask and a digital camo army jacket. My parents think I'm going crazy (I recently started looking at suits, too)

mobilesuithomer

Post by mobilesuithomer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:49 am

I asked for a Fenix E01 and a renewed subscription to Backwoodsman Magazine, and a few non-prep items.

I got the non-prep items and a printed receipt for a $50 flashlight that was purchased online. I don't know what brand, but apparently it has three different modes including strobe and takes a single AA battery. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'll update when it does if anyone's curious. Guess I'll have to buy the subscription for myself. (We each drew a name and there was a $50 limit, incidentally, which just added to my consternation. My dad drew my name and didn't count the non-prep stuff since I'll mostly be using it to cook food for my family. His logic, not mine.)

As a family we got three days worth of food from an older brother to put in our bags. He even had an extra bag that can be put on my mom's wheelchair's rear handles without dragging on the ground. (We plan on bugging out via car, of course, but you never know...) He also got us three days worth of bottled water that is currently sitting on top of wooden pallets in our basement.

I gave the same brother: a Sanrenmu knife from EDC Depot*; three P-51 can openers; and a beef ravioli MRE. On the non-prep side, I got him an electric boot dryer.

*It was their last one, and isn't even listed on the site anymore. I actually had to stop myself from opening the box and keeping it for myself, although I'm glad I did since he said it was exactly the kind of knife he wanted. It was a pretty nice knife, overall.

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:15 am

3 sets lexan 'silverware'
aluminum mess kit (pot, pan, 2 plates and handle)
1lb beef summer sausage, 13oz jerky, can of spam, a foil pack of tuna, can of vienna sausage, 6oz cashews, box of ritz crackers.
$35 towards a new pair of shoes (current ones 3 years old)
$10 Gift Card to Starbucks.

Sure, not a lot of gifts, but all exactly what I wanted/needed.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:27 am

1. A leopold RX-600 laser range finder. Really fun and helpful in my daily ranging exercises.
2. A BALS mk2 rifle rest. Seems to work as promised. Looking forward to some testing.
3. New knee pads, Alta Tactical.
4. Additional stuff for the family first aid kit.

Happy holidays!
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

stonecutter2

Post by stonecutter2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:26 pm

I got a solar powered charger for my iPhone (celltowers might end up down in the PAW, but with a pair of headphones and juice for the battery, i can still listen to some music until the battery loses it's ability to charge!).

Also got a lockback folding box cutter, takes standard razor blades so they're easily changed out. I plan on buying several boxes of razor blades and stashing them in my BOB.

I also bought my wife and I a set of jumper cables that work by plugging into cigarette lighters of the good car and bad car - no more popping hoods and connecting wires to the batteries! Nice and easy to work with, especially in the winter.

Shroud

Post by Shroud » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Amazon gift card. :D
Ordered a molle backpack (EDC/GHB) and one of those solar/wind-up radio/flashlight things.
Also got long underwear.

I gave my family members emergency food/water (among other things).

marbhán marfóir
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead, 28 days later, resident evil series.

Post by marbhán marfóir » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:20 pm

I got a $50 dollar Cabelas Gift card from my Mother in law.

this allowed me to buy a new thick leather belt to replace my aging beyond repair leather belt and stop wearing the weird woven double D ring belt that came with my cargo shorts that didnt really keep my pants up.

this leather belt also helps hold up my EDC (sheath, holster, mag sheath).

I also got a pair of comfortable fitting cargo pants. I'm well beyond my healthy bodyweight, but I figure I need to have clothing I can move in now until I can slim down. it's a sour taste in my mouth spending good money on clothing I'd Ideally not fit in a year from now, but they're probably the most comfortable pair of cargo pants ever.

wife got me the broadheads I asked for, and tools I wanted, I now have a bench vise. (happy)

Uncle gave me probably the best present, taught me how to make base dough and how to render lard, he also bought me a 30qt turkey fryer and we've made 14 dozen tamales so far.

neighbor went goose hunting saturday and brought me a bunch of Goose breast to go in my freezer.

been a good Xmas so far, Freezer is currently 60% capacity with food, I haven't fired a round either. got my venison from a relative that lived in an intensive harvest zone this year, got about half of a mixed quarter from a friend for fixing his exhaust, and still have fish left over (pike/trout) from fishing trips earlier. I also have my brother's limit in the fridge since he doesn't eat fish.

Holding out for a new pair of walkaround boots for my birthday in a couple months.
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
- Thomas Paine, from his essay “The Crisis”
I live in MN now, we dont have a chapter yet. so no more cool AZ ZS 18 banner. I can still take the heat though :-)

Gr3g

Post by Gr3g » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Victorinox Spartan
Victorinox Climber
Victorinox Outrider
Fenix PD20
Eagle Creek organizer - small
The Walking Dead Comic Volumes 1-3 (so much better than the TV series)
ESEE Firekit
UST Starflash mirror
50 UCO matches
Petzl e-lite
Martin Swinkler sheath for Swamp Rat HRLM & Leatherman Wave (present to myself)

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:03 pm

I got quite a bit of cash, which a good chunk of will no doubt go into my prep supplies. :D

Also, I got a new LED flashlight to keep by the bedstand, and a knife sharpener.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:08 pm

I went around looking for clearance Christmas goodies that can double as prep items. At Target I found huge plastic bag that are meant for disposing of your old tree (up to 10 foot tall!) - $1 each on clearance. Small bug out shelter anyone? Also at Target I found hook-and-loop on a roll that looked usefull. One side was hook, the other loop, in a couple foot length. You can cut it to what length you need and wrap it around gear that is already in your bag such as lengths of paracord.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Alps 20 degree sleeping bag
USGI bivy bag
CB microphone
Barnes and Nobals Gift Card
Sportco Gift Card
Two 30 round AR15 magazines
My mom knitted me a scarf
Iron Gym pull-up bar (for gettin' ripped lol :o )
Chevy T-Shirt
(i might be able to squeeze a Leatherman Squirt and a Buck 110 outta it too)

oh and as a total surpise my dad bought me Mosin 91/30 and a box of 54R...yay! I felt like Ralphie from a Christmas Story...despite the fact i didnt even ask for a rifle...but yay!

I gave my dad a 3-pack of .45 13 round XD magazine, my mom got a ITunes gift card, my Best Firend got a pair of leather gloves, my firend got a Russian Tea Glass holder, and the rest of my friends got shot glasses...

Edited to add what i gave
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

jonny_sniper

Post by jonny_sniper » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:42 pm

I got the George A. Romero 6 movie boxset at long last. I guess it'll help in teaching me what not to do should the sh*t hit the proverbial fan!

And it'll also teach me never to hold a video camera when zombies are trying to eat you alive.
I HAVE BOWELS FULL OF S**T, EAT THEM! EAT THEM!!!!!!!!!!

FrostedCandyMan
Favorite Zombie Movies: ZombieLand, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead

Post by FrostedCandyMan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:57 pm

-ESEE-5 knife
-4 pair of wool socks
-400 rds of .22 CCI mini mag
-Coleman sleeping mat

Great Christmas! My parents and grandparents are awesome. By the way the ESEE knife is so badass...

jonny_sniper

Post by jonny_sniper » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:00 pm

I hate living in Britain, all I'd have to protect me is a baseball bat or something. Sure as Hell my christmas tree won't be holding any zombies off...

marbhán marfóir
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead, 28 days later, resident evil series.

Post by marbhán marfóir » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm

go for the cricket bat man!
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
- Thomas Paine, from his essay “The Crisis”
I live in MN now, we dont have a chapter yet. so no more cool AZ ZS 18 banner. I can still take the heat though :-)

G-man
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by G-man » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:56 pm

38 spcl, .40 and .223 a couple of 2 person survival blankets and some assorted fire starting supplies

taz-hein
Favorite Zombie Movies: shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later

Post by taz-hein » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:57 am

upon seeing my xmas list

sister in law #1 to my wife: "his christmas list entertains every year. I'll get him the hacking and stabbing stuff"
sister in law #2 to my wife: "is he going on an expedition?"

both got me eastwing hatchets
one added a cold steel bird and trout knife. :-)

wife got me a Syderco Pacific Salt H1 rust proof knife, and has agreed to my sailing lessons.

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:39 am

I got a book claiming to be an SAT test about zombies. Still not sure if the two-legged and zero-armed variety is more dangerous than the two-armed and zero-legged variety. :cry:

I freaking have a wish list on amazon!

scorpionsak47
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything romero made ,dawn of the dead 2004, hell any zombie movie for that matter

Post by scorpionsak47 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:38 am

citadel 1911 tactical , kershaw volt 2 , 250 rds.45 acp was a good xmas

Takaaco78

Post by Takaaco78 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:08 am

Got a pressure canner and a set of Cobra walkie talkies
“When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years after it happens anywhere else.” – Mark Twain

jonny_sniper

Post by jonny_sniper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:04 am

marbhán marfóir wrote:go for the cricket bat man!
Yeah, but come on, they're so shoddily made here that they collapse after two minutes of use. Or in order words after contact will a couple zedheads.

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:58 am

Wife and family did good this year...

(2) GSI 1L SS Dukjug bottles
http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp ... tles_jugs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(2) Vargo Titanium Ti-lite Mug (750 ml)
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-Ti-lite-Mug-(750-ml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

(1) vargo Titanium Triad XE Alcohol / Fuel Tab Stove
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-T ... -Tab-Stove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(1) Vargo Alcohol Fuel Bottle
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Alcohol-Fuel-Bottle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(1) Light My Fire Spork Titanium
http://lightmyfire.com/products/wild-ki ... 1:FEATURES" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(1) Streamlight Sidewinder Compact - Military Model
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit to add...
(1) Howard Leight Impact Sport earmuffs
http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”