Bulk Food Storage

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Bulk Food Storage

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:19 pm

Stormrider wrote:Thanks for that info, I wouldn't have thought of unroasted beans. What I meant though, was if the method described in this thread could be used on the coffe beans?
I buy and roast green beans as it is cheaper, and gives better coffee. However, they say the green beans will keep 5 years without anything more than keeping them dry. They don't start to age until roasted, and you do that in small quantities.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Stormrider
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombi II

Lots of really good B movies (is that an oxymoron?) whose titles slip my mind

Post by Stormrider » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:26 pm

Thanks for that info phil

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:53 am

So how many O2 absorbers will be required in a 5 gallon bucket?
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:23 am

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks Granny! It was really interesting to see the results after having been packed since the 90's. It was Good as New!
We did 25 #'s each of Hard White Wheat and Hard Red Wheat, each free bucket that we got from our local Ingles Bakery holds 25 #'s of each. We did 3 mylar bags around the sides and then the remaining 2 on top. Sealed with the Gamma lids and ready to store. :mrgreen:
ZSC025 President
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

HurricaneDad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by HurricaneDad » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Stormrider wrote:This might be a dumb question, but do you think this would work on coffee beans?

Yeah, yeah, I'm coming into this late. Storing roasted coffee beans this won't really preserve their "best" flavor. Freshly roasted beans will make acceptable coffee for at least a month, but they start losing/changing flavor after being open for about a week. You'll get the "best" coffee if you store green beans (e.g. from Sweet Maria's or the like) in small vacuum pack and roast them as needed. The second most durable flavor-savor would be to buy fresh roasted beans and store those in small vacuum pack so that you can open one every few days/as needed.

Next best would be to vac-pack a whole large quantity (5-gallon bucket?) of green beans, followed by large vac-pack of roasted. Less optimal still would be sealed mylar bag with oxygen absorbers, first green, then roasted.

The absolute worst way to preserve coffee is ground, in any manner.

(These tips come from my wife, who was a Starbuck's Black Apron/Coffee Master a couple of years back, when it actually meant they had knowledge about coffee)
dani monster wrote:"Mom you do know that zombies aren't real, right?" "...You get Santa and the Easter Bunny. I get zombies. Eat your damned trail mix."
Standard disclaimer applies.

stressrelief 28.5

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:21 am

I have not gone totally bulk yet. I have been buying things on sale and vacum sealing them and storing them in 20 gallon tub with clamp on lids that have seals ..Have I wasted my time? I havnt been useing the packets in them because I was vacum packing...Any advise on this?

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:26 am

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

stressrelief 28.5

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:33 am

I watched all three of his vids but didnt see where he touched on my question. Thanks for the response.

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:08 pm

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:35 pm

stressrelief 28.5 wrote:I have not gone totally bulk yet. I have been buying things on sale and vacum sealing them and storing them in 20 gallon tub with clamp on lids that have seals ..Have I wasted my time? I havnt been useing the packets in them because I was vacum packing...Any advise on this?
I saw one you tube video where the guy opened his stored food years after putting it away. He hadn't used O2 absorbers and it seemed fine. I would just use that stuff first and then start using O2 absorbers and mylar bags for future storage.
ZSC025 President

stressrelief 28.5

Post by stressrelief 28.5 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Perhaps I misunderstood then.
I thought you were referring to grains, and he shows the results of just pouring rice, oatmeal, etc into a bucket and also the results from leaving them in the original interior packaging (like his pancake mix bags in the bucket.)
What things have you been storing?
Thanks again. I have rice -beans-fruits-veggies-lots of items that I vacum packed in their orginal packs. Then storied them in tubs.I just didnt use the O-2 packs...I was under the assumption that vacum packing would be all I really needed.

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:10 am

stressrelief 28.5 wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:Perhaps I misunderstood then.
I thought you were referring to grains, and he shows the results of just pouring rice, oatmeal, etc into a bucket and also the results from leaving them in the original interior packaging (like his pancake mix bags in the bucket.)
What things have you been storing?
Thanks again. I have rice -beans-fruits-veggies-lots of items that I vacuum packed in their original packs. Then storied them in tubs.I just didn't use the O-2 packs...I was under the assumption that vacuum packing would be all I really needed.
I always try to use some O2 packets to hedge my bets. O2 is a bad thing for food stored long-term, and those little packets can only help give your food an edge in longevity and nutrition.

I consider it cheap insurance. Besides, the less O2 in the pail/package, the less any critters that escaped the sublimated dry ice, or vacuum have to use to eat thru your food.

Just my opinion.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

ZombieGranny

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:06 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:That should be fine for 3 - 7 years; when you get to the point you want to store for a decade or more it's best to use the Mylar and O2 packets.
Sorry, should have specified that I do Mylar liners in my pails. So the full rundown is Mylar liners, dry ice(sublimated), O2 packets, and some diatomaceous earth if it's grain.

If I had a tank of nitrogen I would use that instead of the dry ice just because it's easier to deal with, but I make do with what I have.

Cheers.

-urban
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 pm

Yeah, nitrogen flushing is definitely on the list for the next time we lay in some wheat. Dry ice is kind of a pain. We started using DE with grains lately, since we happened to have some on hand for the chicken coop. (Keeps down mites or something.) O2 absorbers are really cheap, but they can be somewhat hard to come by. We bought some first from Walton's Feed, then later from a local Mormon lady who is the volunteer in charge of her food prep for her church.

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:21 pm

NoAmnesty wrote:So how many O2 absorbers will be required in a 5 gallon bucket?
From what I've read a 2000cc packet will absorb all the oxygen from the inside of a empty 5 gallon bucket. Its the size I use. 2000cc's refers to how much oxygen it'll absorb.

It may sound like severe overkill to use that large of a packet (about handwarmer size) but you have to realize that oxygen (and water vapor too) will seep through mylar bags so you want leftover capacity to scavenge seeped oxy over the years you'll have that bag sealed.

I also use 6oz of dry ice at the bottom of my bags to fumigate (kill any bugs by oxygen deprivation) and to displace oxygen to preserve the capacity of the 2000cc packet.

Finally, I've quit using 5 gallon buckets after doing about 30 buckets: I've started packing bulk food into 7.5mil mylar bags and in turn storing them in commercial quality garbage cans for rodent/environment proofing. You can put a lot more food into a 20x30 mylar bag thats not confined by a 5 gallon bucket. And its less hassle too.

The 7.5mil bags are plenty tough enough to deal with handling if I need to load them into a vehicle and scoot.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

EllenDee

Post by EllenDee » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:10 am

**CAUTION**: DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, USE YOUR WIFE'S / GIRLFRIEND'S / MOM'S GOOD IRON FOR THIS!!!

I can totally relate to this... Even though it is not politically correct, I have fallen totally in love with my new "good"iron. I would be happy for you to use the old one, so please feel free to buy your wife/girlfriend/YOURSELF!! a new iron before using the old one...

In regards to storing the contents of bulk storage once you have opened it, has anyone experimented with mason jar vacuum sealer and a hand pump? I have order both, but have not had a chance to try them yet. I am hoping that they will help keep the food a bit longer after I have had to open one of my bulk storage tubs. Has anyone else tried this? Let me know if you need more info on the specific equipment I am planning to use.

EllenDee

Post by EllenDee » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Space Jockey wrote:Any ideas on the use of vacuum seal bags for food storage? You wouldn't be able to put much in them and it may cost more for the bags and sealer, but you could store individual servings in the bags
These should work fine, just might not be the most cost effective. I use the largest size mylar bags, then cut them down into smaller bags (much cheaper than buying small bags, or foodsaver bags). I use a purchased sealer, but you can use an iron just as well. The vacuum sealing aspect is great for storage - just keep in mind that larger food like rice will still have a lot of air space between the grains, and for really long term storage you might be better investing in O2 absorbers and dry ice which push out all the air that a vacuum sealer can't get to. Oh, and the foodsaver machines can't vacuum seal mylar and other "smooth" bags, they need the more expensive "rough" plastic bags - I am using the cannister attachment and a bit of fiddling to vacuum the mylar, then a separate heat sealer. I have one of the FoodSaver vacuum sealers for preserving bulk meat in the freezer, in which case vacuum sealing some of the dry goods with it makes sense, not sure it is the best option if you are buying it specially - some other models use smooth plastic bags, you might want to look into these & use them with Mylar (although the one I had had less powerful vacuum, and the seal with very narrow, so not very durable)

I am using the small mylar bags (with vacuum seal and O2 absorbers) for the more perishable goods I use in small quantities, like my sour cream powder and dried onion, but things like rice which last ok once opened I am packing in bigger containers. The other thing I am looking into is the vacuum packing system for Mason jars - I have ordered a hand vacuum pump you are supposed to be able to use so I won't be reliant on electricity, and it should allow me to repack bigger buckets into vacuum sealed jars as I open them. Trying to pack a couple of years worth of food is a huge task if you are doing it into single serving sizes!

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Got a question about a specific container I've been thinking about using. What do you storage gurus think about >>THIS<< as an option? I here a lot about plastic eventually letting air in, so how about an never used paint can 1qt?
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Molon Labe wrote:Got a question about a specific container I've been thinking about using. What do you storage gurus think about >>THIS<< as an option? I here a lot about plastic eventually letting air in, so how about an never used paint can 1qt?
I've been eyeballing those cans on the shelf at the store for a year now, trying to figure out something cool to do with one, ZS-style. And while I'm still nowhere, maybe you're on the right track.

They might be kind of expensive per cc of storage space, even if they do turn out to be OK for food. Maybe good for garden/sprouting seeds, but not for mass quantities of wheat?
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

fattycakes
Favorite Zombie Movies: Book of Eli. 28 Days Later, Chud, LILU!

Post by fattycakes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Yea this was something I have been wanting to do for a while. I slowly started buying the materials. I finally got all my stuff together and then went to sams club and bought some rice and beans. I only bought the 1 gallon bags and filled about 8 of them with rice and beans. I used to oxy absorbers and bought a really cheap clamshell sealer called the euro sealer. Well I should have tested it before hand but I did not. It didnt work, it actually worked on half a bag then it shit the bed. I was in a panic because I had already opened the oxy absorbers. I was looking for an iron but couldn't find one. Finally I came upon my girlfriends hair straightener. It worked like a charm. Everyone should be doing this it is so easy and I was able to store enough food for a family of four for about 2 weeks. That is a guess but I think its about accurate. All in all the total cost with food was about $30.

I am going to be doing this more and more because it is so damn easy and cheap. You don't really need the Gamma Lids but they are really nice to have. They are in my opinion worth it. I am storing dry beans and rice and also canned veggies and proteins. You cant go wrong doing this and its easy and fun.

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:19 pm

FanaticalModerate wrote:
Molon Labe wrote:Got a question about a specific container I've been thinking about using. What do you storage gurus think about >>THIS<< as an option? I here a lot about plastic eventually letting air in, so how about an never used paint can 1qt?
I've been eyeballing those cans on the shelf at the store for a year now, trying to figure out something cool to do with one, ZS-style. And while I'm still nowhere, maybe you're on the right track.

They might be kind of expensive per cc of storage space, even if they do turn out to be OK for food. Maybe good for garden/sprouting seeds, but not for mass quantities of wheat?
If you do use the paint can method make sure you use a ziplock bag first to put the food into it as a added safety caution, since they aren't lined for food storage. There is a can with a gold lining made for food storage but Personally, almost $3 for a quart can is expensive. Check out local paint stores and the gallon cans normally run about $3.49. I use these cans for candy - M&M's, candy bars and such. I put them into freezer Ziplock bags, toss in a couple O2 absorbers into the container then seal it up.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:54 pm

Tonto wrote:
FanaticalModerate wrote:

If you do use the paint can method make sure you use a ziplock bag first to put the food into it as a added safety caution, since they aren't lined for food storage. There is a can with a gold lining made for food storage but Personally, almost $3 for a quart can is expensive. Check out local paint stores and the gallon cans normally run about $3.49. I use these cans for candy - M&M's, candy bars and such. I put them into freezer Ziplock bags, toss in a couple O2 absorbers into the container then seal it up.
Give the man a prize! This is the answer you are looking for. The gold lined cans are food grade, the gray lined cans are not. The unlined cans are OK, but they will get a thin coat of rust on the inside before too long. It's best to use a 1 gallon mylar bag if you have it, or a ziplock bag if you don't. I understand from other forums that people are going to their Ace Hardware or paint stores or whatever, and talking to the managers about bulk purchases of these cans. You get like 28 1-gallon containers with lids in a case, at a steeply discounted price vs. buying them individually. You also get to choose whether you want a wire handle or not.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”