My new hobby...PREPS PICTURES ADDED

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

medicdan

My new hobby...PREPS PICTURES ADDED

Post by medicdan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:31 am

I got in to the survival/preps/self sufficency thing about 4 months ago. Since then I've have stocked my GHB, BOB, stored 220 gallons of water, got a 5500 watt generator for free cause the guy could not change a fuel filter, bought a 24' camper for 250 bucks, I havent got it set up yet but I could not turn down the deal. I've bought a 22lr pistol, mossberg 500 shottie, ammo for both, as well as increased my supply of .40 and .357 for the pistols and carbines I already had. I picked up a savage .30-06 with a scope for $150 bucks. I've cut my power bill in half, by just being cutting off lights, using CFL bulbs and only using my dryer to dewrinkle my air dryed clothes. I've got three months of cleaners, toilet items, batteries etc for the house and I've added a few months of food.

The money I have saved on my powerbill alone has bought the shotgun.
I traded my crotch rocket for a commuter style bike. The trade cost me nothing out of pocket and got rid of 4000 debt while not getting any more. The insurance for the new bike is 40 bucks cheaper a month too. That was two months ago, so thats 480 extra bucks that bought the 22lr and the trailer. I sold some unwanted/unused stuff on ebay and bought 12 oz of silver coins.

Here are my food preps so far long term

60 pounds rice
40 pounds of pasta
20 pounds of beans
10 pounds of dry milk
8 pounds salt
15 pounds sugar
40 cans of veggies
20 pounds frozen meat
20 cans of tuna
20 cans of chicken
10 cans of beef
10 cans of treet
8 cans of salmon
20 jars of pasta sauces.

I've increased the amount of food I keep in a regualar rotation so that me and the ol lady could go two solid weeks with out ever having to crack the lid on any of the buckets.

I gotta add more water, I'll probably double it to around a total of 500 gallons.

Need to diversify long term foods to include a little more variety.

Continue paying down debt and save more money.

While I am a little concerned about talking about my preps to people, it was talking about survival and preps that got me the generator and the trailer.

I feel I've come along way in four months, and I am enthusiastic about the next four. each morning, I wake up get ready for work and try to figure out more ways to save and earn money. I'm gonna run my a/c this summer, and if it's raining, I'm gonna drive my truck to work. My goal is continue to prep while not living in misery to do it. I totaled up all I've spent in the past four months minus the money saved, and I still have less than a grand tied up in my preps. It has amazed how far you can stretch a buck with a little effort. Here is to a productive summer. And thanks for all you guys help and knowledge!!

This is going to be my preps shelf. I got this for free from Freecycle

The camper will sleep four, has sink/shower/stove/water heater/ ac and heat/ and fridge
Last edited by medicdan on Thu May 01, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:19 am

Very good job so far.

With all that stuff, and being on a motorcycle, I'm guessing you plan to bug in rather than out. Have you looked at your location/house/apartment/ from the standpoint of an outsider, such as a looter or zombie?

And extra special good job on paying down the debt, and reducing your costs. Survival is about flexibility and options, and debt crushes both of those.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

shenkhu

Post by shenkhu » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:25 am

i think you are a good example of what a motivated guy can do in order to survive... especially on a such short notice(took me 2 years to do about the same), the generator is a real good luck BTW!!!!

i don't know what is your current location(downtown, suburbs, rural) but you might like to consider growing vegetables, i live in a suburb, and i manage to grow a few vegetables in my flowerpot!!!! this would be a good long term survival skill, and while you learn how to grow(if you don't already know) you get free food!!! more money saved 8)
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

colinz

Post by colinz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:30 am

Good on you dude. :D

It's nice to have examples of what can be done if the mind is put to it. :D

LittleTeapot
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LittleTeapot » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:34 am

Nice job.

Photos? Photos?
Insert Witty Signature Here

>>> Join Zombie Squad

shenkhu

Post by shenkhu » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:35 am

LittleTeapot wrote:Nice job.

Photos? Photos?
+1...+1!!!
in the begining, there were man and wolfes, not quite enemies, not quite friends.

medicdan

Post by medicdan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:42 am

Buggin in is my plan, this winter I plan to fortify the house a little with some bars and reinforcing my doors frames. We had a standoff the other day and I saw a door take a dozen direct hits from a 25 pound sledge hammer before it gave. All the guy did was add a 1/4 thick strip of steel along the lock side of the door frame.

The generator was a great score. I was surprised how far I could stretch some money when it came to buying the food. All it took was a little patience and watching for good sales. I'm on duty again today, but when I get home I'll snap some pics of the fort and my cheap goodies!

Iprotectmine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead

Post by Iprotectmine » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:23 am

I also caught the survivalist bug within the last year or so. Making preparations is quite addictive, isn't it? Since I've caught the bug, it has always felt like I was just a few preparations away from being ready (I'd make those preparations, and thenI'd think of a few more). I went from 0 firearms to 5 in a few months, from a few cans of food laying around to 500 pounds sealed for long term storage, from no bugout gear to 2 pretty complete sets. I even got a refurbished Level IIIA helmet, which has been quite the source of amusement for my siblings. I'm hoping that I won't always have that feeling of "Just a few more preparations and I'll be ready..." I feel a bit like a crackhead saying "Just one more hit, man, just one more." Has anyone else felt a bit addicted?

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:27 am

Iprotectmine wrote: I even got a refurbished Level IIIA helmet, which has been quite the source of amusement for my siblings.
Refurbished? So they patched the hole that ended the previous owner's need of it?
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:34 am

Solid work all around so far.

Did I see anything about water / water filter?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Iprotectmine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead

Post by Iprotectmine » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:52 am

Iprotectmine wrote:
I even got a refurbished Level IIIA helmet, which has been quite the source of amusement for my siblings.
phil_in_cs wrote:
Refurbished? So they patched the hole that ended the previous owner's need of it?
It's been repainted (black) and the webbing inside the helmet has been replaced. No changes to the structure of the helmet.

I have to agree with my siblings, it's kind of silly for a grad student in a college town to have a Level IIIA helmet. But it's like I tell my girlfriend, laugh now, but we'll see what you say if we ever need all of this stuff

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 am

Good show! I started this by being a shooter and already being into camping/hiking, and it slowly turned into disaster preps. I don't even live in an area that has disasters.

You use the "prep in comfort and stability" approach that I've tried to maintain, and advocate to others. If one is already stable and comfortable, preps almost take care of themselves. The guys that are running up their credit cards with the 18th new firearm they just bought just don't get it.

Make oneself and one's environment more efficient.
Have one's financial house in order (this one step makes everything else SO much easier)
Turn useless clutter into resources (I just hocked my childhood toys for a new reloading press), Especially resources that generate more resources.
Be aware of your shortcomings.
Develop absent skills.

Your food list looks a lot like mine actually, save the frozen meat.

And remember the unofficial mantra of ZS: "Pics or it didn't happen"
ImageImage

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:02 am

Also, you may want to think about going by costco and getting $20 of spices to make your dried food more palatable. :D

My staple spices are:
Salt
Black Pepper
Red Pepper
Sugar
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Curry Powder
Chili Powder
Basil
chicken and beef bullion cubes

Yeah, You can make chili powder out of some of that stuff, but I put it on beans and rice often enough that I figure it merited it's own big bottle.

Anyway, just remember that rice and beans get pretty boring pretty fast.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

medicdan

Post by medicdan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:38 pm

Murph wrote:Solid work all around so far.

4 55 gallons drums filled right now. Hoping to double that next time I get by the drum store. I keep a few cases of bottled water on hand, but I consider that gravy, not the taters.

Crypto: Once I actually took an inventory of everything I had, I looked at and tried to come up with as many ideas for meals that I could. I could make an almost infinite number of semi-healthy, nutrient dense meals, that were almost completley devoid of flavor. Yep I need spices. BTW take every spice you got listed except for the basil, and bullion. Mix it together, rub down some ribs and throw in the smoker. YUMMY. MMMMMMM pork.

I'm gonna have some pics up by tomorrow night.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:16 pm

medicdan wrote:
Murph wrote:Solid work all around so far.

4 55 gallons drums filled right now. Hoping to double that next time I get by the drum store. I keep a few cases of bottled water on hand, but I consider that gravy, not the taters.

Crypto: Once I actually took an inventory of everything I had, I looked at and tried to come up with as many ideas for meals that I could. I could make an almost infinite number of semi-healthy, nutrient dense meals, that were almost completley devoid of flavor. Yep I need spices. BTW take every spice you got listed except for the basil, and bullion. Mix it together, rub down some ribs and throw in the smoker. YUMMY. MMMMMMM pork.

I'm gonna have some pics up by tomorrow night.
oops, my bad, you said 2020 gals that in like your first line. I'm a quick one.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:30 pm

Ahh, well. Sometimes I think I'm doing great, then I realize I have a lot to do. I get a jug of about a gallon of water when I go to WalChinaMart, and I thought that is spectacular. But, space is limited. :?

Props to your preps :!:

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:43 pm

All that prep in 4 months. Amazing :shock:

Rock2Fox

Post by Rock2Fox » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:04 pm

What is the "drum store" you speak of? And where the hell can I find it? I have called every farm and ranch supply store w/in 100 miles and they don't have any blue 55 gallon drums for sale. I can find them on the internet, but shipping is out of control $120 just for the freight from Walton Feed.
"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

medicdan

Post by medicdan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Rock2Fox wrote:What is the "drum store" you speak of? And where the hell can I find it? I have called every farm and ranch supply store w/in 100 miles and they don't have any blue 55 gallon drums for sale. I can find them on the internet, but shipping is out of control $120 just for the freight from Walton Feed.
The drum store is just a guy that sells them on the side of the road. He sells them for 20 bucks a pop cash and carry. You would probably have better luck just cruising around some industrial areas and looking for someone that recieves delivery of ingredients in them, such as a food manufacturer.
Last edited by medicdan on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:19 pm

crypto wrote:Also, you may want to think about going by costco and getting $20 of spices to make your dried food more palatable. :D

My staple spices are:
Salt
Black Pepper
Red Pepper
Sugar
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Curry Powder
Chili Powder
Basil
chicken and beef bullion cubes
A couple bottles of good hot sauce will make even the worst food tolerable. :wink:
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

Organdonor

Post by Organdonor » Thu May 01, 2008 9:13 am

Iprotectmine wrote:
I have to agree with my siblings, it's kind of silly for a grad student in a college town to have a Level IIIA helmet. But it's like I tell my girlfriend, laugh now, but we'll see what you say if we ever need all of this stuff
Naw, you're just subscribing to the Ron White terror alert level system. He advocates getting rid of all the colors in our current alert system, and switching to two levels:

1. Get your helmet.

2. Put your helmet on.

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Thu May 01, 2008 9:34 am

Medicdan, that's a great post, thanks. It's always great to see someone else's preparations, and read the responses. Nice job.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Tonto

Post by Tonto » Thu May 01, 2008 10:34 am

That's a great start - Congrats!

Now the thing to do I hate to say is keep this hobby hush hush among aquaintences and strangers otherwise you will get people showing up at your door if even a minor TSHTF occurs looking for handouts.

Be cautioned though.. this hobby will turn into a mindset. :D I've always thought of my preps as a hobby until sitting down with a fellow prepper and realized, it's not just a hobby but a total change of mindset. Talk to someone totally unprepared or with a loose "I'll just come to your house" or "I'll just go to the Red Cross Shelter if..." and you'll just laugh at them for thinking that.

Seriously.. this is one of those hobby's that actually changes your mindset from one of what would I do to one of self reliance.

It's pretty amazing though.. good job, just don't become complacient now.
CERT member, former OHMR member (2001-2005), amateur IDPA shooter and reader of Blogs & Prep forums. Yes, I am a legend in my own mind and I'm emailing this from the secret shadow goverment bunker located beneath Walmart.

StrangeLove

Post by StrangeLove » Thu May 01, 2008 11:27 am

Iprotectmine wrote:I have to agree with my siblings, it's kind of silly for a grad student in a college town to have a Level IIIA helmet. But it's like I tell my girlfriend, laugh now, but we'll see what you say if we ever need all of this stuff
My mom used to put football helmets on our heads during tornado warnings when we were kids. And no - we weren't retarded.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”