Best places for canned foods.....nationwide...

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

november14

Best places for canned foods.....nationwide...

Post by november14 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:46 pm

Just wanted to share some ideas regarding placed to buy canned food, more-so in standard retail environments like supermarkets.

As far as New England goes, the small chains like Foodmaster usually sell pretty cheap. Also the Market Basket chain is VERY inexpensive for canned goods, but the stores are ALWAYS mobbed so be prepared for that every time you go there. The best time seems to be mid-day and mid-week.

The big ones like Shaws and Stop & Shop sometimes have decent deals, but its not very consistent.

I was at Market Basket this weekend and bought at least a months worth of canned goods (and a box of powered milk) for around $60. This also included low sodium can hammed/meat.....

Anyone else have some decent places in the North Atlantic and New England region of the country where canned goods can be had at reasonable prices?

Feel free to post regarding other parts of the country as well....

:idea:

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:21 pm

I'd go to a grocery salvage place. You'll get large price breaks on scratch and dent cans.

-Erik

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:36 pm

I don't know about your corner of the country, but down here (Florida) we have a two chains of discount groceries that offer really good deals on canned foods, Sav-a-lot and U-Save.

I've also had some luck at Big Lots (great for gourmet foods & imports) and some of the discount stores like Dollar General and Family Dollar.

firerat

Post by firerat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:44 pm

ArtfulDodger wrote:I don't know about your corner of the country, but down here (Florida) we have a two chains of discount groceries that offer really good deals on canned foods, Sav-a-lot and U-Save.

I've also had some luck at Big Lots (great for gourmet foods & imports) and some of the discount stores like Dollar General and Family Dollar.
save-a-lot FTW!!!

Where abouts in Florida Art?
"If someone with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?"

-George Carlin

Sapient

Post by Sapient » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:41 pm

Erik wrote:I'd go to a grocery salvage place. You'll get large price breaks on scratch and dent cans.

-Erik
Aren't dented cans the least likely to survive long term storage? I wouldn't worry too much if all they have is a few exterior scratches. That's just cosmetic damage. But I seem to recall reading somewhere that dented cans are more likely to spoil.

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:33 pm

We have Sav-a-lot here in TN also. Definatley a good place to buy a case or 10 of canned food. They used to sell pinto beans by the 25lb. bag, but they don't have them here in my neck of the woods anymore.
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:38 pm

What neck of the woods in TN?

Psyko5616
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead,

Post by Psyko5616 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:25 am

We have discount stores here in the midwest (Springfield, MO), Food 4 Less, Aldis, ALPS. The problem I find is that while the can weights of the store and off brands are the same as the name brand implying they have equivelant content a lot of times the cheaper brands have a lot more water and a lot less solid products. We have Big Lots as well but in my experience the cans being sold there are much closer to their expiration dates. I've finally quit buying the cheap brands and stick with Campbells for the most part, seems to be the most sustinance in a can.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”