We went looking for some white rice today and found...

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Glockmeister

Post by Glockmeister » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 am

We haven't had any shortages in my neck of the woods yet,.. but the prices sure have skyrocketed. Rice, flour, & wheat have doubled in price in the last year. At this rate we'll all starve because we can't afford to buy the stuff :!:
Glockmeister

Molon Labe!

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:21 am

Glockmeister wrote:We haven't had any shortages in my neck of the woods yet,.. but the prices sure have skyrocketed. Rice, flour, & wheat have doubled in price in the last year. At this rate we'll all starve because we can't afford to buy the stuff :!:
I hear that. 100 bucks goes nowhere as far as it would last year. Me and my step-mom went shopping yesterday and what was once 100 dollars worth of groceries, even with coupons and bargain deals, came to 170 dollars.

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Sapient wrote:It's a good idea to use food grade plastic for any long term storage. Some plastics are not suitable for food storage and can leach toxins into food or water, even if they are new, clean, and have never been used to store anything else.

These paint buckets you mention may or may not qualify for food storage purposes; it all depends on the type of plastic they are made from.
Even though you put food in bags, it still makes a difference? I guess I can check locally for bakeries and stuff, plenty of em around. I feel like I'm begging though.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Food-grade bucket and drum liners should be pretty easy to order over the internets, you can get them as thick as 10mil.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:41 pm

I live next to an indy bakery (Grand Central Bakery) and the price of flour for them has doubled and stayed doubled since August last year. My old drinking buddy who is a baker there said they got a memo last month stating no raises for the rest of the year and many other bakery extra-curricular activities were cut to keep prices from rising on product. The owners even cut their own pay to keep folks in jobs.

He was in a meeitng last week and their main supplier said there is not a shortage on food. There is only rising prices due to specualtion. We have the same amount of food as we always have had but folks are panicking which drives up prices. Fuel has a small bit to do with it but there is not a food shortage.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

phoric

Post by phoric » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Sapient wrote:
The Commander wrote:BTW, are any new, clean buckets OK, so long as the contents are in mylar bags? I'm thinking of getting new 5 gallon buckets from a paint place that has em for around $3-$5 for 5 gallons.
It's a good idea to use food grade plastic for any long term storage. Some plastics are not suitable for food storage and can leach toxins into food or water, even if they are new, clean, and have never been used to store anything else.

These paint buckets you mention may or may not qualify for food storage purposes; it all depends on the type of plastic they are made from.
Agreed. I would never store food or water in a paint bucket. Check out the Rubbermaid Brute plastic 'trash' cans available at most hardware stores. The gray colored ones are certified food-grade and you can get them up to 55 gallons. I have a 32 gallon one I use to fill with RO filtered water. You can fill it to the top with water and it's very sturdy.

Ronnin

Post by Ronnin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Well, good news is there are tons of candy bars available...I know folks like their rice, but white rice that sits around for a bit isn't much more than empty calories to put healthier stuff on top...

Don't worry too much, zombie hordes aren't expected until 2010 or 2011 I think?

kaoskingnd

Post by kaoskingnd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:14 am

Small economic indicators, food gas, cigs...economic stimus package my ass, maybe two years ago. For 35% of my town it will be gone to the power company that has raised it's rate by 52% . I wanted to buy my upper bastards but I can't because my wage has been the same since 2000
Between the farming crop insurance and the sustadies all the farmers around here a buying new trucks and not farm trucks though, brand new 3/4 tons with twentytwo inch wheels, there is no shortage of wheat or rice investors are making a killing by buying and holding.
When you go into the Stop and Go and have to wait in line because poor people have to buy smokes with change and the crime rate starts climbing welcome to an "Economic correction", my ass, more like a new stock market boom for much like the eighties, more billionares are created in this type of market, but instead of drugs it's wheat.
I am no marxist but the rich always blame the poor for being poor, the reality is the trickle down theory has not changed it hides behind multi national corporations and the very carefull use of media propaganda. Atleast in the eighties you could get a extra under the table gig, not any more.
Sorry for the rant but when someone messes with my food and my ability to get ahead it's getting to the point of being Unconstitutional, a persuit of happiness thing.
End rant...please don't ban me. It is borderline political I know.

colinz

Post by colinz » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:44 am

Famine wrote:
Glockmeister wrote:We haven't had any shortages in my neck of the woods yet,.. but the prices sure have skyrocketed. Rice, flour, & wheat have doubled in price in the last year. At this rate we'll all starve because we can't afford to buy the stuff :!:
I hear that. 100 bucks goes nowhere as far as it would last year. Me and my step-mom went shopping yesterday and what was once 100 dollars worth of groceries, even with coupons and bargain deals, came to 170 dollars.

Kevin
One of the major newspapers in NZ just did their annual food item cost comparison. It ended up with a rise of just over 28% IIRC. Just brilliant.

kaoskingnd

Post by kaoskingnd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:42 am

Going to the silo again sat, price on beans went up two cents. 100.00$ does that include vegatables? Tried to buy a green pepper 1.60$ a piece, simply insane. Not to sound like a tin foil hat, but how long can this go on?
My mother is on social security because of Phyisical problems and she is having to make the decision either to pay the electric bill and rent or eat.
I do my part to help, what is the old saying? A Country is only as good as it's treatment of its elderly and prisoners.

BottomsUp

Post by BottomsUp » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:29 am

Famine wrote:

Kevin
Soon we'll all be eating Soylent Green
Beware the fury of a patient man.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:54 am

BottomsUp wrote:
Famine wrote:

Kevin
Soon we'll all be eating Soylent Green
Avoid the soylent green made from clowns...it tastes funny... :wink:

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

The Commander

Post by The Commander » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:34 pm

My focus is now on bakeries. I'll just say it's to store dog food, as people are nosy like I said and I distrust them for some reason. I still don't see a logical reason to get special buckets if another means of storage (bag) is in the bucket not touching the contents. It's all good.

Mumbles

Post by Mumbles » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:19 pm

I stopped by a restaurant supply store today.

Rice prices seemed to have increased, and there was a limit on one variety/brand, but other than that, they had PALLETS of the stuff in stock.

I picked up a 25# bag for about $13. FYI and YMMV.
"Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them" - Leto Atreides

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:56 am

The Commander wrote:My focus is now on bakeries. I'll just say it's to store dog food, as people are nosy like I said and I distrust them for some reason. I still don't see a logical reason to get special buckets if another means of storage (bag) is in the bucket not touching the contents. It's all good.
Yep. If you store the food in a foil mylar bag, you can use any kind of bucket, or no bucket at all. The bucket is merely there so you can stack it tall, and to protect from gnawing mice and rats.

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Fri May 02, 2008 3:12 am

No shortage of rice at my local grocery, but this is south Louisiana. We probably grow more rice than mainland China. If we're out of rice down here, then the S has well & truly HTF. Only type they were out of was the 20 lb bags of the store brand long grain. Prices were up about 10% or so on the 1 lb bags, and hadn't seemed to have changed much at all for the larger bags.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

bonanacrom

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Fri May 02, 2008 6:16 am

The end is near !
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Fri May 02, 2008 9:15 pm

Hypothesis 1: America's systems (economic, political, military, governmental, utility, etc.) in certain areas have been severely strained by all the recent natural disasters.

Hypothesis 2: Those systems have not fully recovered, particularly the economic system. As a result, all systems are feeling strain.

Hypothesis 3: People are scared.

Hypothesis 4: The government is scared of the people.

Hypothesis 5: America may be put under martial law in order to to curtail disasters on a national scale that the systems are unable to match (say, an earthquake in Nevada that affects many cities, while at the same time a blizzard takes out the Northwest.)
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

kaoskingnd

Post by kaoskingnd » Sat May 03, 2008 2:03 am

Hypothesis 1: America's systems (economic, political, military, governmental, utility, etc.) in certain areas have been severely strained by all the recent natural disasters.

Hypothesis 2: Those systems have not fully recovered, particularly the economic system. As a result, all systems are feeling strain.

Hypothesis 3: People are scared.

Hypothesis 5: America may be put under martial law in order to to curtail disasters on a national scale that the systems are unable to match (say,

an earthquake in Nevada that affects many cities, while at the same time a blizzard takes out the Northwest.)
I agree, if we look at the fundamentals of our society,
3: people are scared
, any one under a certain pay grade or social class and socio-economic criteria are going to suffer why because the basic ability to work and live independantaly without government interference or "help" has been undermined by the idea that information is a tool to either :
A: Create a managable and complient working class that will work to pay back loans that are incured from a Bank that is "Federaly insured" and therefore public information and make everyone a member of this bank.
B: Use this information to keep and restrain the economic development of a educated lower class and at the same time own all property of the middle class through taxes, grants,loans ....ect ect......

I would have to agree to disagee with your hypothisis in it's wording but not it's spirit
.....Hypothesis 1:
America's systems (economic, political, military, governmental, utility, etc.) in certain areas have been severely strained by all the recent natural disasters

Take a population that is 20% felons and 60% some how fedelaly funded and a mix of each, why would they make an effort to keep them in the place they were, easier to sluff them off on Texas....IM NOT EVEN GOING TO GET INTO TEXAS....I love the place and hate it too.
I believe that as a society we are apothetic and unwilling in general to face large problems such as poverty crime and poverty, has anyone heard of the homeless since 911? Why would they be afraid of some one that has three employment obligations and still is a paycheck away from claiming bankrupsy that has become unafordable to the poor.....? WTF

I am sorry for the poor grammar my keyboard needs replacing.....

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Sun May 04, 2008 3:10 am

Any one under a certain pay grade or social class and socio-economic criteria are going to suffer. Why? Because the basic ability to work and live independently without government interference or "help" has been undermined by the idea that information is a tool to either

A: Create a managable and complient working class that will work to pay back loans, incured from a Bank that is "federally insured" and therefore public information and make everyone a member of this bank.

B: Use this information to keep and restrain the economic development of a educated lower class, and at the same time own all property of the middle class through taxes, grants, loans ....ect ect......
A combination of A and B works nicely. Price rises have made it severely uncomfortable for anyone to carry on a professional and social life without some goverment help in this country.

I would have to agree to disagee with your hypothisis in it's wording but not it's spirit:

<i>Hypothesis 1: America's systems (economic, political, military, governmental, utility, etc.) in certain areas have been severely strained by all the recent natural disasters.</i>

Take a population that is 20% felons, 60% somehow federally funded, and the rest a mix of each. Why would they make an effort to keep in the place they were? Easier to sluff them off on Texas... I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO GET INTO TEXAS... I love the place and hate it too.
If affected people have a reason to stay in an area, they will. With all respect, Joe Ghoul (a poster here) wrote in his 'escaping Katrina' story that he was seeing chaos all around him on the television and outside, and he was "digging it" because he prepared way ahead of time. Took a couple of very trustworthy and levelheaded friends to convince him to leave.

But my point was that the resources to recover affected areas have been put under strain. The Lousiana National Guard and the 82nd Airborne were in Iraq for months before getting assigned straighaway to New Orleans. New Orleans was already a depressed town before the hurricane came. Politicans were already known for being slow and corruptable before the hurricane turned them to hand-wringing. FEMA has stretched its resources and money to the breaking point, and have evicted people still living in the trailers and asked for repayment from a lot of victims.

The state has not fully recovered in the three years since Katrina wore off, which means that if another disaster were to happen no one could handle it.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey » Sun May 04, 2008 6:57 am

I made a trp to my local WalMart yesterday, and very much to my surprise...no rice! None.
All species capable of grasping this fact manage better in the struggle for existence than those which rely upon their own strength alone: the wolf, which hunts in a pack, has a greater chance of survival than the lion, which hunts alone.

OhioMe

Post by OhioMe » Sun May 04, 2008 7:43 am

I went grocery shopping yesterday. Both the 'ethinc' aisle and 'American regular' aisle looked fully stocked. All bags from 1# to 20# bags.
German Serial Killer Who Hacks Heads Off Rabbits Uses Google Earth to Find Victims
DavePAL84 wrote:If you guys bring an old t-shirt or two each it would also be beneficial (maybe something you don't mind being perforated with bullets and then thrown out?)
BeerandGuns wrote:.25 ACP. It took down Zombie Reaper and he's a bad a** motherf****r

Rock2Fox

Post by Rock2Fox » Sun May 04, 2008 9:11 am

This is only barely relevant, and probably should go into the "The Masses of America are Sheep-Ostriches who Blindly Follow and Consistently Place their Head in the Sand." Forum.

At Sam's yesterday, I heard a lady bitching about there being no rice. Almost insisting that it was some sort of violation of her 5th and 14th Amendment rights or something. She had no clue about the shortages on either coast. I guess whenever the SHTF there is a large population in America that won't even realize it for a while.
"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

ArtfulDodger

Post by ArtfulDodger » Sun May 04, 2008 10:13 am

I've made a point of looking at rice stocks when shopping the past couple of weeks.

The Indian and Mexican groceries were both well-stocked, and prices were about the same as they've been since the beginning of the year.

The regular supermarkets have been out of bigger bags for a couple of weeks, but have had plenty of one and two pound bags around.

The Save-a-Lot near me was undergoing some sort of reorganization last time I was there. Half the shelves were empty & there were pallets everywhere. I'll check again whenever they are done doing whatever they are doing.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”