You Might Be A Survivalist If...

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

almm

Re: You Might Be A Survivalist If...

Post by almm » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Somebody asks if you're done at the store and you say, "No, I still need bleach and road flares."

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:43 pm

...you inherit a bunch of great baby stuff and think of it as instant baby preps.

...you are most excited about the stainless steel baby bottles and sleeping bag, Included in such preps.

...you plan to breast feed your new baby but stock up on all the formula samples, and bottles, you can get four hands on.

.... your friends know this and request the same samples to give to you for your pantry.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

NateHood

Post by NateHood » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:11 am

When you know (to the penny) what the best price is for a round of virtually every caliber of ammunition...and you know where to get it.

You know how many calories are in 5-gallon buckets of hard white wheat, rice, and beans.

You watch Doomsday Prepper and roll your eyes when those fools are wearing Tyvek suits in a nuclear scenario.

You go into the dollar store, and upon seeing the small section of canned food realize that when everyone is swarming Walmart when SHTF you can likely pick up a few things safely at the dollar store.

You have multiple types of sutures in your med kits, know how to tie suture knots of all kinds, but have never worked in the medical fields.

Your BOB has a roll of quarters in it in case you come across a vending machine after SHTF.

You've bought more than one $100 box of nickels from the bank...and you don't run a vending machine business.

When the price of silver goes up a dollar you feel like you made a bunch of money.

You'll eat a can of tuna 3 years after expiration because the seals look clean, no rust, and the ends aren't bulging.

When your wife asks you to stop at the store for milk on the way home and you end up buying flats of canned vegetables, toilet paper, 30 pounds of spaghetti, 30 cans of spaghetti sauce, 5 jars of peanut butter...and you forget the milk.

Badger24
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Badger24 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:28 am

Natehood, nice post, but why all the nickels?

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:50 pm

NateHood wrote:When you know (to the penny) what the best price is for a round of virtually every caliber of ammunition...and you know where to get it.

You know how many calories are in 5-gallon buckets of hard white wheat, rice, and beans.

You watch Doomsday Prepper and roll your eyes when those fools are wearing Tyvek suits in a nuclear scenario.

You go into the dollar store, and upon seeing the small section of canned food realize that when everyone is swarming Walmart when SHTF you can likely pick up a few things safely at the dollar store.

You have multiple types of sutures in your med kits, know how to tie suture knots of all kinds, but have never worked in the medical fields.

Your BOB has a roll of quarters in it in case you come across a vending machine after SHTF.

You've bought more than one $100 box of nickels from the bank...and you don't run a vending machine business.

When the price of silver goes up a dollar you feel like you made a bunch of money.

You'll eat a can of tuna 3 years after expiration because the seals look clean, no rust, and the ends aren't bulging.

When your wife asks you to stop at the store for milk on the way home and you end up buying flats of canned vegetables, toilet paper, 30 pounds of spaghetti, 30 cans of spaghetti sauce, 5 jars of peanut butter...and you forget the milk.

Canned tuna is good for 5 years past it's exp date. Barring rust, denting or bulging of course. :P

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:37 pm

goofygurl wrote:
NateHood wrote:You'll eat a can of tuna 3 years after expiration because the seals look clean, no rust, and the ends aren't bulging.
Canned tuna is good for 5 years past it's exp date. Barring rust, denting or bulging of course. :P
...You know how to, very neatly, open said can of tuna using only concrete, make a weapon from the lid, use the label for tinder, and use the can to boil water.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

polliedes

Post by polliedes » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:39 pm

You Might Be A Survivalist If...
The local hospital ER is on diversion...to your house.
Your pet's collar has his name, address and a recipe.
You are on the 10th pet with the same name, but have never buried a pet.
You know the best location for a water wheel and power output potential of every water source within 50 miles.
You are learning the best location for a water wheel and power output potential of every water source within 100 miles.
You don't have garbage pick-up because you re-use everything.
The garbage truck leaves your house 200 pounds lighter because you "went shopping."
The power company writes you a check every month.
ICRS EMTB

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Dogan wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:You scream at your TV when the character on The Walking Dead walks by a dead soldier without checking the body for weapons, ammunition, FAK or at least a firearm cleaning kit.
DIT-TO!

...You wonder about how much hi-vis duct tape your new bicycle helmet can hold, and the same about brightly colored paracord, and how many lumens of light you can attach to it, and whether it's stronger than a coconut...
...And how many pieces of things like spare chain links, inner tubes, brake or shifter cables, spokes, brake pads, lube and cycling specific multi-tool(s) can you stash/wrap/tie down in or on different parts of your bicycle, without any add on bags, or panniers, y’know "just in case".

Bonus if you ever figured out that you can store a small roll of toilet paper in the hollow of the seat post (corking the open end) or to bend Power Bars so they can be taped to your top tube or handlebars where they are easily accessible for munching during a bug out without having to stop.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:44 pm

Dogan wrote:
goofygurl wrote:
NateHood wrote:You'll eat a can of tuna 3 years after expiration because the seals look clean, no rust, and the ends aren't bulging.
...You know how to, very neatly, open said can of tuna using only concrete, make a weapon from the lid, use the label for tinder, and use the can to boil water.
... any of this came as no news to you. And then you added to it in your head. :lol:
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:49 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
Dogan wrote:
goofygurl wrote:
... any of this came as no news to you. And then you added to it in your head. :lol:
... You are now designing a small game trap based off of one tuna can opened in this fashion and baited with the residual tuna juices.

... You've ever eaten plain canned tuna for research purposes.

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Pilsung » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:52 pm

http://englishrussia.com/2011/08/05/cam ... -the-past/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will not go quietly into places like this.
Last edited by Pilsung on Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrANkNstEin

Post by FrANkNstEin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 pm

...you inherit a bunch of great baby stuff and think of it as instant baby preps.

...you are most excited about the stainless steel baby bottles and sleeping bag, Included in such preps.

...you plan to breast feed your new baby but stock up on all the formula samples, and bottles, you can get four hands on.

.... your friends know this and request the same samples to give to you for your pantry.
....you still have half the stuff from back when you where a baby, safely stored in the attic because you know: they don´t build sturdy stuff like that anymore, and even the cheap baby stuff is effin´ expensive. And nothing beats the wooden horse handmade by your grampaw!

I´m not going to try and breast feed a baby though.... wouldn´t work out all that welll :rofl:

Ableto

Post by Ableto » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm

...you know where your towel is.

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Life is like a box of chocolates, eventually we will all melt in the sun.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:18 am

Badger24 wrote:Natehood, nice post, but why all the nickels?
Since nickels are currently made of a fairly valuable copper/nickel alloy, there are those who say the value of the base metals will soar when tshtf. Coinflation has the value just above $0.05 right now, although it has gone up to twice the face value a few times over the last few years as I recall. It goes up and down with the markets.

There is also a new coin soon to be mass produced with a lot less valuable metal, so the current 5 cent piece may become a collectors item.

Also; You may be a Survivalist if you add up your spare change by melt value.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:19 am

Pilsung wrote:http://englishrussia.com/2011/08/05/cam ... -the-past/

If you listen to the stories of those who did not go quietly in such a place...and yet did (Thank you Voiko Staschko, KitkhaOlga and Baba Anna, take pride in calling them family, while taking notes:

"At 14 I figured my chances were better spending the night with the wolves in the forest than with the Germans in town"
- Anna M. 89, mother of two, grandmother of three. Makes a mean potato salad -

“This? Oh, it’s from a piece of how do you say? Granada?...yes grenade, German grenade…we were running away and I did not realize it happened until we stopped running outside of the town and didn’t see anyone chasing us.”
Replying to my asking why was there a piece of muscle tissue missing from the back of her left leg...over tea and cookies.
- Olga O. 90, mother of two, grandmother of two, great-grandmother of 5. - Still gardens, cooks and cans and is fluent in four languages.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Dogan wrote:
... You are now designing a small game trap based off of one tuna can opened in this fashion and baited with the residual tuna juices.

... You've ever eaten plain canned tuna for research purposes.

You sir are a braver soul than I. :lol:

YMBASI you get giddy when a free sample of baby wipes comes to your house, not because you actually have an infant but because it means more wipes for the bob.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:

If you listen to the stories of those who did not go quietly in such a place...and yet did (Thank you Voiko Staschko, KitkhaOlga and Baba Anna, take pride in calling them family, while taking notes:

"At 14 I figured my chances were better spending the night with the wolves in the forest than with the Germans in town"

“This? Oh, it’s from a piece of how do you say? Granada?...yes grenade, German grenade…we were running away and I did not realize it happened until we stopped running outside of the town and didn’t see anyone chasing us.”
Replying to my asking why was there a piece of muscle tissue missing from the back of her left leg...over tea and cookies.
- Olga O. 90, mother of two, grandmother of two, great-grandmother of 5. - Still gardens, cooks and cans and is fluent in four languages.
I read things like this, and I bow my head in thanks that I have never faced such events. Then I kiss my WWII medal and thank those who died, in many wars and in many places so that I never had to face them.

GG: It's actually pretty bland and inoffensive.

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Dogan wrote:
mr_slappy75 wrote:

I read things like this, and I bow my head in thanks that I have never faced such events. Then I kiss my WWII medal and thank those who died, in many wars and in many places so that I never had to face them.

GG: It's actually pretty bland and inoffensive.
I don't like tuna much in the first place so it would prolly be offensive to me..lol

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:32 pm

-You've been asked by your parents/roomates/friends "Did you order something from Israel?" and got all excited 'cause your izzy bandage came in the mail.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm

YMBASI- You've worked out Bug-In plans for any three of this list
Your workplace (if not home)
Your children's school (if not home)
Any relative's Residential Carehome
Any sports or social club you visit more then monthly
Family's dental/doctor's practice

YMBASI- You've weaponised a kid's toy since you turned 20
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:29 pm

... One of the main arguments for your Svea 123 camp stove is that you know how to turn it into a flamethrower inside of thirty seconds. :clap:

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:49 pm

YMBASI you get an Amazon gift card and you instantly start thinking about which prep item on your wishlist fits into the dollar amount of the gift card.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:45 pm

If you pop a boner when you get the latest issue of Outdoor Living, You might be a survivalist.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:03 pm

YMBASI ...your first thought on opening a package of latke mix for the holiday is "Hey, I bet I can make this with the food storage instant potatoes I got at the LDS cannery!" :lol:

... And indeed you can... :mrgreen:
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”