Preparations when you're sick?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ReInventor

Preparations when you're sick?

Post by ReInventor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:00 pm

I stayed home from work today with a stomach virus. I'll save you the details, but I was up all night and I've got absolutely ZERO energy today. It took a good bit of effort to walk down the hall without falling over from dizziness/exhaustion. (Yes, I'm drinking my fluids, etc... and doing a bit better as I post this)

I started thinking though. Usually I'm relatively alert, and I feel reasonably prepared to handle a sudden situation, but being sick like this, what the hell would I do?

I was mainly thinking along the lines of home invasion, but this goes equally well with a bug out situation or whatever. Is there anything that you guys do differently to prepare when you are sick and operating way below 100%?
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is he who is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:33 pm

It is good to have all the supplies and meds on hand so you don't have to leave the house.

Just think if bird flu were being spread by humans in the US what effect a trip to the grocery or drug store would have.

Becareful handling firearms, sweating off a fever I sometimes have wild dreams.

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:44 am

You know, this is actually an interesting topic.

Right now, my fiance is not doing well, due to a pinched nerve in her leg, which is making it nearly impossible for her to do much of anything (getting better, but still having problems walking when it flares)

If the SHTF right now, we'd be in trouble, because, frankly, even a shambler could overtake her.

Has anybody factored in scenarios like this into their planning regimens? I mean, what happens if you're bugging out and you twist your ankle or jam your knee? Or a loved one does...

Ice

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:16 am

I've got my fourth round of bugs this month, so I've been bugged in since New Year. Last week with Norwalk was self-imposed isolation so I didn't spread it. I think this would be my same response if something nastier was going around.

The hard bit is giving a damn when you're all wrapped up and whiney; I think if the SHTF I might get real focused real quick. But I'm dumber and slower and weaker than usual, so I'm just staying and working through my stash of beans and Kendal mint cake...

I will have to top up the stash though.
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

ReInventor

Post by ReInventor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:53 am

Giving a damn would have been pretty hard for me the other day too. When I first started thinking about it, lying in bed, my first response was, "Take what you want, shoot me if you need to, but I'm not moving."
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is he who is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin

andygates
Favorite Zombie Movies: ROTLD 2 ;)

Post by andygates » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 am

Bolt the door, put the news on TV, and train the cat to wake you if "zombies" are mentioned. The apocalypse can wait.

Unfortunately it can't. What do military types do? Do large shouty men with purple faces inject a quantity of give-a-damn into anyone laid out?
Czechnology: "If you have to ask an internet forum for confirmation on whether or not a Revolution is coming, the answer is always no."

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Have a small bag of stuff for the invalid. This would be in addition to any first aid kit you might have. Powdered broth and/or soup mixes are good. Homemade ORS (oral rehydration solution) or powdered gatorade type stuff would be good. A case of easy to open water bottles or pull-tab cans of juice.

Plus you have all of your "sick meds" for the first aid kit like anti-diarrheals, fever reducers, decongestants, etc. You know your family's needs so your list will be diff from my list.

I wouldn't think of bugging out if I was sick. One, that is liable to make your sicker. Two, you could make some dumb mistakes that you wouldn't make if your head was clear. Three, if you are additionally responsible for others - especially kids - and become totally incapacitated due to your illness or injury they are going to be up the creek too.

Our main option is bugging-in. However if we are stuck out in the middle of the mess and illness or injury occurred, my main focus would be to find a location to hole up in until the illness or injury subsided.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:34 pm

One thing to consider is whether or not you should stopper the outflow...immodium can often stop the diarrhea, but in many cases, it's best to let nature take its course and just keep yourself hydrated...

An exception to this would, of course, be when hordes of the undead are shambling after you, intent on feasting on your brains...then it's probably better to not have to squat every 15 minutes...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Dak Kovar

Post by Dak Kovar » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:24 pm

There are so many 'what if's' to cover. I have a bad back and all of my preps have to take that into account.

Sorry you've been so sick. I think a large part of the deal is preventing from getting sick in the first place. Personal/field hygene, food handling, etc. Once you're sick like that, I'd stay put or bring lots of TP and something to clean yourself with. Animals go hide somewhere until they are better or they die. I'd be doing the same thing.

M2C,
DK
"I don't wan't to be the ruler of this world... I want to be the ruler of another world."
"Well he should have armed himself...if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."
"...And you can keep that silly fat wanker. The lads can't lift him."

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm

I guess it would depend on how you were sick, and the disaster you're worried about.

I find it hard to believe that a zombiepocalypse level event could sneak up on us, totally unnoticed. If you're halfway paying attention to the news--or just the DiCE section of this forum--you'll have a pretty good head's up, and can plan around your illness/infirmity with the help of friends and family. Provided you do have friends or family. Some of us would just be screwed.

For something like home entry, honestly if you're home defense plan is well thought out, you'll wake up at the first sign of trouble unless you're on some serious happy pills. If that's the issue, might be prudent to have a friend stay with you while you're down for the count.

For sudden illnesses/injury during the zombiepocalypse....well, it would be prudent to have a good home medical kit on standby, with the knowledge of how to use it. It would also be good to have a community of likemindedly prepared people there to help you.

On a related note, I had a great conversation with Politenessman over Christmas about how survival in the PAW or even a major disaster is going to depend to a frightening degree on luck.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Cymro wrote:On a related note, I had a great conversation with Politenessman over Christmas about how survival in the PAW or even a major disaster is going to depend to a frightening degree on luck.
See United States, 19th Century.
Our ancestors are the lucky ones.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:43 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:
Cymro wrote:On a related note, I had a great conversation with Politenessman over Christmas about how survival in the PAW or even a major disaster is going to depend to a frightening degree on luck.
See United States, 19th Century.
Our ancestors are the lucky ones.
Neal Stephenson, in Cryptonomicon wrote:Let's set the existence-of-god issue aside for a later volume, and just stipulate that in some way, self-replicating organisms came into existence on this planet and immediately began trying to get rid of each other, either by spamming their environments with rough copies of themselves, or by more direct means which hardly need to be belabored. Most of them failed, and their genetic legacy was erased from the universe forever, but a few found some way to survive and to propagate. After about three billion years of this sometimes zany, frequently tedious fugue of carnality and carnage, Godfrey Waterhouse IV was born, in Murdo, South Dakota, to Blanche, the wife of a Congregational preacher named Bunyan Waterhouse. Like every other creature on the face of the earth, Godfrey was, by birthright, a stupendous badass, albeit in the somewhat narrow technical sense that he could trace his ancestry back up a long line of slightly less highly evolved stupendous badasses to that first self-replicating gizmo--which, given the number and variety of its descendants, might justifiably be described as the most stupendous badass of all time. Everyone and everything that wasn't a stupendous badass was dead.
I love this book and quote...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

ReInventor

Post by ReInventor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:16 pm

So I suppose that if I'm not a stupendous badass, then I'm dead. Well, lucky for me, even on my sickest of sick days, I am a stupendously stupendous badass.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:05 am

I'm having a bout with the flu as I type this. A 38.6C fever and colds and cough. Not good when the SHTF. The pain reliever helps as I don't feel my body aches much. At least this lets me move a bit more freely. I can walk with no problem, but If I were to run with a loaded pack, I'm screwed. Plus I have to drive to the office in case I have to pick up my gf and take here from work tonight. I'd rather feel shitty for a night than rather let her commute home late in the evening.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

ant69
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by ant69 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:49 pm

I'd guess my bug out plans would just have to be bug in plans until I felt well enough or threatened enough to bug out. Ant

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:12 pm

nfa wrote:One thing to consider is whether or not you should stopper the outflow...immodium can often stop the diarrhea, but in many cases, it's best to let nature take its course and just keep yourself hydrated...
+1 I caught the same bug myself recently. At first I thought it was just upset stomach from 2 days worth of Taco Bell, so I took multiple doses of Peptol Bismol. I went from having diarrhea from the stomach virus, to being constipated after the bug wore off (yeah, y'all really wanted to hear that).

And let me tell you, having a ready supply of water, ginger ale, and chicken soup in the house was great; didn't have to worry about leaving the house to get supplies or giving the bug to anyone while I was out.
It can always get worse.

Zamboni

Post by Zamboni » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Plenty of vitamins, fruit juice, fruit and brothy soups and peanut butter crackers. I guess I had a bit of what a lot of people on here had with the stomache and whatnot. But that is what got me through. Oh, and Riccola and tea. (A wee bit of bourbon at night didn't hurt.)

This kind of reminds me of the beginning to The Earth Abides.
Rectum? It nearly killed him!

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”