Current Survival Plan

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Arrow

Current Survival Plan

Post by Arrow » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Well folks, here is my current situation. My main issue is hurricane protection being that I live near the coast in Florida. I currently have enough to be sufficient for about 3 -6 weeks but would like to upgrade that to be able to go for 8 - 12 weeks. Ultimately in my part of FL, that should be more than enough time for government/charities to step in if TSHTF (Yeah, I am aware that might seems naive to some people on this board). I am looking for some tips to help improve my set up and think of anything that I can’t.

House: Single story ranch style home, since we have been here, we had some construction done to add a bonus room above the living room. With the exception of the front door, we have solid core doors on all two external doors which can be secured from the interior. Since we haven’t had any other better idea (and the wife has no plans to replace the door), the current stopgap is to bring all our backyard furniture on the porch and board up the columns to create a fully secured front. Our garage can be locked down with padlocks on the inside joints making it impossible to open. The entire backyard is fenced in with an 8 foot wooden privacy fence and a shed detached from the house. We have a generator stored which has the ability to be hooked up to the house circuits and an underground propane tank. Our water comes from an industrial depth well and our sewage is provided by a septic tank.

Supplies: The upstairs closet has become our storage area. Currently we have about 50 gallons of water stored in jerry cans and three Rubbermaid’s full of food. In a fourth Rubbermaid tub, we have batteries, flashlights, blankets, FAK, gloves, sunscreen, and spare clothing. A fifth tub contains dog food for our lab. Storing large amounts of gas for a long duration is not really an option here but in the case of any major storm system, we have a gas station about .05 miles from here where we fill up our tanks and about 40 gallons. We do have two safes in the bedroom closet with 3 rifles and 3 handguns and about 400 rounds of ammunition. In the shed, we have stored plywood for covering the porch, tarps, and general tools.

BOL: In case of a serious storm, we plan to go to stay with my brother in law and his family in Georgia. If this is the case, we will secure the house, bring our dog, and leave because it is more dangerous to ride the storm out. If we did leave it would be due to a mandatory evacuation. We have two cars, mine is a WD Jeep and the wife’s is a small Honda. If we were evacuating, we would take both cars with mine loaded with the supplies and hers with clothing, photo albums, the dog, etc.

What do you all think?
--
Messing with Texas for over 20 years

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:33 pm

I've noticed that wood privacy fences don't usually survive hurricanes, they fall over intact. If you were really going to take a direct hit, I'd pop some slats out of the fence. It might save the fence. I speak having had to rebuild a fence after Ivan.

Putting the backyard furniture on the porch MIGHT help. If you can get it inside do so. If not chain it together to an immovable object, like the porch post on the house and away from windows.

For a hurricane you don't necessarily need long term storage of gas, but you will need empty gas cans. There was one station in town that had generators in our town before Ivan and the pumps blew over. When the storm is in the gulf go fill your spare cans.

Arrow

Post by Arrow » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:34 pm

Well, since I don't know how to put pictures into the post, I will do this:
http://www.sanibelseawinds.com/porch_g.jpg

My porch looks like this one with screans on all sides and an enclosed top. What we have done in the past is put plywood up over the entire outside section to protect the screen. This seemed to hold up pretty well in 2003 but there HAS to be some better way to protect this.

Our fence right now is pretty shot actually and I doubt it would hold up. One of my next big Home Improvement tasks might actually be to replace the wooden fence with painted cement at least up to 6 feet. Leaning towards something like this: http://designerconcrete.com/

The main reason that I am working on a wall is that there has been a rise in home invasions in the past 6 months in our area and we are backed up to undevloped land. We just got an alarm system and automatic external lights to try and prevent this.
--
Messing with Texas for over 20 years

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi Arrow. I'm northern Hillsborough county just north of Tampa.

For water, have you looked into a WaterBob? Check 'em out at http://www.waterbob.com/ (no affiliation). I have four of them that I got one a buy three, get one free sale. Each one holds 100 gallons and fits inside a normal bathtub. I have two tubs and will put the other two in large storage bigs ... the ones like you store big artificial Christmas trees in.

Also, while it is off-season try and get a gas grill that has that extra burner attachment if you don't have one already. A couple of 20 lbs. propane tanks will go really well that way.

Another thing you can do is keep your 2 liter soda bottles, fill 'em with water and use them to fill any empty space in your freezer. Better than a bag of ice for keeping your freezer stuff cold when the power goes out.

At SAMs ... and I've seen a couple of Black n' Decker ones as wallyworld ... they have these power inverter things that you can charge from the wall or from a car battery. The 400 watt ones run about eighty or ninety dollars. I'm still trying to decide which one I want to get. I'm also looking into getting at least one solar panel and a marine battery to charge such a device with. I have some friends on another forum that are really into the solar stuff so I'll get some set up help from them.

We have an inground pool to help with non potable water needs but we still have stocked plenty of pool chemicals too for incase of water contamination.

Check the number of calories you have stored. You really need to make sure you have at least 2000 kcal/day/person. Some folks are surprised to find out they don't have near as much food as they think.

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Boarding up the porch sounds like a lot of work, espically carrying plywood from a shed as its heavy. I've seen porches where they were walled off halfway up, can you do that, it would halve the work. Could you hinge the plywood from the porch ceiling so it would simply swing down into place?
I don't think I would take two cars with one being a honda, seeing what happens to those in a minor fender bender and knowing how people drive normally then put bugging out stress on top and its just asking to get run over.
Can you back up the photo albums, at very least put the negatives in a safe and take it, better still convert to digital, paper is bulky and heavy. It would take a whole crate to carry the amount of photos I have on my laptop.
Search for the waterbob on the equipped to survive forums, IIRC its a cheap copy of the real thing.

SkullGirl

Post by SkullGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:51 pm

I was reading through the WATERBOB site and in the instructions section it says that when water is no longer needed, slit the side of the liner to drain it, then dispose of the plastic bag.

So they are not resuable?
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:19 pm

SkullGirl wrote:I was reading through the WATERBOB site and in the instructions section it says that when water is no longer needed, slit the side of the liner to drain it, then dispose of the plastic bag.

Yes, they are reuseable. Just some people don't want the work of emptying them using a pump. They are relatively cheap for what they hold. And some people might choose to be lazy about it.

Now, when my box of four came, let me tell you I was surprised at how lightweigh they were. But I filled one just to see and yes, they are easy to fill from the tub faucet and while they are a pain in the tush to empty when they are really full as you empty them they get easier because you can just squish the water out of them. You need to really let them dry out before storing though.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:21 pm

If you plan on staying and riding out a hurricane you have to have a tornado shelter of some kind. A hurricane is nothing more than a tornado machine. You do not mention whether or not your home meets Miami Dade county wind standards. If not I would concentrate on strengthening the structure and openings. If you plan to ride out a hurricane you have to make sure your home is secure as possible from wind damage.

Remember in a hurricane it is not the wind but rather the debris picked up by the wind that causes most of the damage. The previously mentioned wooden fence is prime example of debris that will likely impact your home.

The other thing is insurance and documentation of your house condition pre-storm. If you have any chance of flooding get federal flood insurance. What I do every may is take photos of the interior and exterior of my home and properties. i use a digital camera and it takes just a few minutes. I store these photos on a thumb drive along with images of the insurance policies, key documents, medical records and pet vacinations. The thumb drive goes with me if I bug out.

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:25 pm

For window security and wind protection, we have the accordion shutters at our BOL. At http://www.hurricaneshutters.com/accord ... utters.htm you can see a picture of what I'm talking about.

We have upgraded locs on our. They aren't cheap, but for our needs they fit. We are saving to have them put on our primary home.

Another picture of the product is at http://www.thermogardsolarfilms.com/acc ... utters.htm But again, we have upgraded the locking mechanisms as the standard is pretty cheapy.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:14 am

Kathy in FL wrote:For window security and wind protection, we have the accordion shutters at our BOL. At http://www.hurricaneshutters.com/accord ... utters.htm you can see a picture of what I'm talking about.
I was reading Dave Barry once, and he said he has bolts outside around the window frames set into the brick, and sheets of galvanized steel with handles welded to them that he can pop in place and secure with wing nuts.

He also said hurricanes are anti-magnetic, since if he actually puts them in place, all that steel pushes the hurricane somewhere else :lol:
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
Kathy in FL wrote:For window security and wind protection, we have the accordion shutters at our BOL. At http://www.hurricaneshutters.com/accord ... utters.htm you can see a picture of what I'm talking about.
I was reading Dave Barry once, and he said he has bolts outside around the window frames set into the brick, and sheets of galvanized steel with handles welded to them that he can pop in place and secure with wing nuts.

He also said hurricanes are anti-magnetic, since if he actually puts them in place, all that steel pushes the hurricane somewhere else :lol:
If you lose your windows you will lose your roof. Also, if you have a garage door, if you lose that you'll lose your roof or it will lose its integrity.

When we had an addition put on our house we had to - per code - retrofit the entire roof to Dade wind codes. You can do this yourself if you know how. You are basically just nailing in a bunch of tie-dows from your roof to your load bearing walls. For insurance claims though you might be better off hiring a professional to do this.

SkullGirl

Post by SkullGirl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Kathy in FL wrote:
SkullGirl wrote:I was reading through the WATERBOB site and in the instructions section it says that when water is no longer needed, slit the side of the liner to drain it, then dispose of the plastic bag.

Yes, they are reuseable. Just some people don't want the work of emptying them using a pump. They are relatively cheap for what they hold. And some people might choose to be lazy about it.
Gotcha! Thanks for the info. I think I am going to look into getting some for my supplies. I have two tubs and those would be a great thing to have on hand. Thanks for the link.
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:45 pm

Watch the garage doors, heard a story floating around town after a hurricane. A woman said her and the husband spent several hours pushing a dining room table against their garage door to keep it from blowing inwards.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”