Erik's Upgraded Drinking Water Storage w/Pics

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Benbrutal

Water storage

Post by Benbrutal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:49 pm

The best storage I have seen was a guy who had plumbed 2 each 275 gallon palstic tanks (used to hold fruit syrup) between where the line came in and the hot water heater. He always has 550 gallons of good water, and he can bypass the tanks when they are filled. I think he just flows through them once a month to keep it fresh.
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

FriedCheese

Re: Water storage

Post by FriedCheese » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:09 pm

Benbrutal wrote:The best storage I have seen was a guy who had plumbed 2 each 275 gallon palstic tanks (used to hold fruit syrup) between where the line came in and the hot water heater. He always has 550 gallons of good water, and he can bypass the tanks when they are filled. I think he just flows through them once a month to keep it fresh.
Brutal - I did some searching.... cannot find anything on this... Got a link for us?
THanks man!
~Cheese
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Try looking for IBC containers (intermediate bulk containers)

I know of a place near Asheboro NC that regularly has them, used of course, for $50!!! PM if you want details.

SmallFry

Skindad88

Post by Skindad88 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:41 pm

nice set up there..

One thing you can do with the old barrels is use them under your rain gutters to collect the rain (after the drought). This water can be then used for your garden, or clothes or washing up, that way you don't have to use your drinking water.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:08 am

Even if the containers are plastic, shouldn't hey be elevated off the ground?
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

TheFreakinBear
Favorite Zombie Movies: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy, Boondock Saints, 300, Snatch, Ghostbusters, Ice Age.

Post by TheFreakinBear » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:11 am

I would think that any containers dealing with food and water no matter what they are stored in should be at least on a pallet but I guess it can depend on your location, and their location (their being the food/water/etc).
ImageImage

jung

Post by jung » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:52 pm

Now, if someone faced a real crisis and that rusted water was all they had, how would one make it drinkable? I'd dislike seeing all that water go to waste, especially considering the drought. Flush toilettes with it?

Fenris

Post by Fenris » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:04 am

You might find it's no more expensive to buy them locally. They'd have to go on one or two skids, wrapped, and be shipped via freight. It would cost an arm and a leg. It would probably be cheaper in the end to just buy six or eight of them locally.

-Erik
Actually, Erik, it may be cheaper for him to rent a Uhaul flatbed, and drive over, but if I was him, I'd definatly check local first...

-fenris-

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:00 am

jung wrote:Now, if someone faced a real crisis and that rusted water was all they had, how would one make it drinkable? I'd dislike seeing all that water go to waste, especially considering the drought. Flush toilettes with it?
Rusted? :?: Did I miss something?

If the water was in clean steel barrels that rusted, you could still make it potable. Move it to a clean container (glass or plastic), and allow the junk to settle out. Then either treat the rust chemically (a few drops of bleach makes dissolved rust drop out of solution) or run it through a good backpacking water purifier (such as a PUR hiker). Let it stand until the bleach smell goes away, pour it back and forth between two containers to aerate it, and drink away. If this doesn't work, distill it. That will definitely do it.

Unless the water is contaminated with something soluble like oil, you can do that. If it's something like oil, gasoline, solvent, or pesticides, you are pretty much screwed. (This is why you should always question the source of a used plastic barrel.)

There are three ways to treat questionable water. If you really want to make it safe, do 1+2, or 3 if it is really bad:

1. Filter (*)
2. Purify (boiling or chemical treatment)
3. Distill (boil, condense steam vapors into a clean container)

*If you have a backpacking water filter, you should always let cloudy water stand to settle out the junk, or use a prefilter to lengthen the life of your filter.

jung

Post by jung » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:19 am

Thanks for the info. The OP wrote that his original steel drums rusted and discolored the water a bit so I was just wondering. I'm not so sure about bleach precipitating rust out, but if it comes to it, I'll try it out. Thanks.

Midian

Post by Midian » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:26 am

At a water treatment plant I have worked at we used Potassium PerMangenate solution to clump any iron or rust out of the water through a permangenate sand and charcoal filters. this of course will work only in a flowing system, not a barrel of water.

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:19 am

TheFreakinBear wrote:I would think that any containers dealing with food and water no matter what they are stored in should be at least on a pallet but I guess it can depend on your location, and their location (their being the food/water/etc).
Speaking of pallets, not to divert or anything, but this sorta goes hand in hand.

When you go around looking for a pallet to put under them bad boys. Ask to see if they have any older, worn out pallets. They make great firewood, just run a circular saw alongside each of the spars that hold the slats, and then cut the spars in half once the slats have been completely cut off.

The slats burn really nice, and when split with a hatchet/machete/kukri/etc, they make really good kindling. The spars themselves make amazing fuel, most burn for more than 4-5 hours and produce a lot of heat. Just be careful you dont get ones that have oil/chemicals in them, those are useless.

Sorry, I'm done hijacking your thread now, please continue with the barrely goodness. :oops:
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

bingo 7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by bingo 7 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:18 pm

Last time the convenience store had Dr. Pepper 2 liters on sell I bought eight of them. The clerk told me to take the plastic carton that was used to display them. She stated I could have all I wanted because outside the store they had a pile of them and the vendor would not take them. I did not take any at the time, but I got to thinking. That would make a good way to store a large amount of water in usable sizes.

MikeCharlieUniform

Post by MikeCharlieUniform » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:26 am

I really want to do this, but finding reasonably priced barrels is proving difficult. $60/ea is ridiculous.

It might be helpful for the group if anyone finds an industry that regularly discards this kind of stuff to post it here; people might be able to find a local company in that field to check with for their "waste" barrels.

ToddGray

Post by ToddGray » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:08 pm

BloodLust wrote:Even if the containers are plastic, shouldn't hey be elevated off the ground?
I was thinking the same thing. Your local hardware store (or even Wally World for that matter) should be willing to part with some wooden (or maybe even plastic) pallets for cheap.

SkullGirl

Post by SkullGirl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 pm

That is not a bad idea to get a few of those and put them in my storage on the porch. I may be pming you for in fo on the location!
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:22 pm

SkullGirl wrote:That is not a bad idea to get a few of those and put them in my storage on the porch. I may be pming you for in fo on the location!
By all means. :)

WeirdoC

Post by WeirdoC » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Foosinho wrote:I really want to do this, but finding reasonably priced barrels is proving difficult. $60/ea is ridiculous.

It might be helpful for the group if anyone finds an industry that regularly discards this kind of stuff to post it here; people might be able to find a local company in that field to check with for their "waste" barrels.
They aren't barrels, but they are free, and I know for sure that I can get at least three of them every Monday afternoon 'til TSHTF.

These are the jugs in which my local Arby's fast food restaurant gets their fry oil. Every Monday, they change out the oil in each of the three fryers, and then throw away the three empty jugs. I believe that McDonald's may use similar jugs. Next time you go to get a burger, ask if they use jugs like these, and if they just throw them away to set them aside for you.

The jug is food-grade #2 plastic. Basically, it's a four gallon milk jug that's really thick and sturdy. The mouths are fairly wide, which makes washing out the residual corn oil pretty easy. They are squared off, so they store and utilize floor space better than round drums. Also, the handles and lids are even on top, so if you stack two or more side-by-side, you can put a board across the top and start a second course.

I live in a second-floor apartment with nowhere to put a 55-gallon drum, so these are much more convenient for me. Also, I like free stuff.

Hope this helps some folks with getting water stored.
I have a tendency to talk a lot about my time in the service, so let me make this clear, lest you think I'm some sort of tough guy. If the Army taught me nothing else, it's that I'm a total pussy.

grannie smith

Post by grannie smith » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:48 am

Was it difficult to get the oil residue out of those?

WeirdoC

Post by WeirdoC » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:08 pm

It's just corn oil. A few drops of dish soap and about a gallon of hot water, swish it around a lot. You really need a garden hose for rinsing them out, though. It takes quite a bit of water to get the job done, so make sure you do it before TSHTF. :D
I have a tendency to talk a lot about my time in the service, so let me make this clear, lest you think I'm some sort of tough guy. If the Army taught me nothing else, it's that I'm a total pussy.

kir

Post by kir » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:22 pm

I was at a local grocery/department store, Fred Meyers, today looking for unrelated goods when I came across a whole aisle of these:

Maker: http://www.cccllc.com/

Five gallon containers for $10 each. Screw on tops. They have a tag on the side that states they are food grade containers intended for water use only. Specifically states that the plastic won't impart any smells or other alterations to stored water. Additionally there's a handle built into the container that after filling one with water, I found easy to carry around.

Not the best deal around, considering the options that Erik and others have indicated in this thread. However, given my circumstances (apartment) it seemed a reasonable method for storing water. At 2 gallons of water per day, if I got 6 I would be set for two weeks. Less if I started portioning it out to others.

Easy to carry and move to my truck should I decide to leave town. Not so easy if I'm moving on foot, but for the intended purposes of water storage at my BIL with the option for easy relocation to my BOV it seems to serve the purpose well.

I would suggest getting some kind of sink-hose and/or a funnel to make filling these up more efficient. It didn't fit in my sink, so hand filling with the largest jar I could find was tedious.

Allen

Post by Allen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:43 pm

kir wrote:I was at a local grocery/department store, Fred Meyers, today looking for unrelated goods when I came across a whole aisle of these:

Maker: http://www.cccllc.com/

Five gallon containers for $10 each. Screw on tops. They have a tag on the side that states they are food grade containers intended for water use only. Specifically states that the plastic won't impart any smells or other alterations to stored water. Additionally there's a handle built into the container that after filling one with water, I found easy to carry around.

Not the best deal around, considering the options that Erik and others have indicated in this thread. However, given my circumstances (apartment) it seemed a reasonable method for storing water. At 2 gallons of water per day, if I got 6 I would be set for two weeks. Less if I started portioning it out to others.

Easy to carry and move to my truck should I decide to leave town. Not so easy if I'm moving on foot, but for the intended purposes of water storage at my BIL with the option for easy relocation to my BOV it seems to serve the purpose well.

I would suggest getting some kind of sink-hose and/or a funnel to make filling these up more efficient. It didn't fit in my sink, so hand filling with the largest jar I could find was tedious.
Water Cooler Carboys are a good idea.
Thanks!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

E

Post by E » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:57 pm

wierdoC - thats bloody brilliant. I'll have to check around and see man, I never thought of that before. I'm sure if I checked around I'd find some. good job man
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for."

Once you dread potential danger
You are bound by fear...
Fear is the only enemy.
Face the enemy

Glockmeister

Post by Glockmeister » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Exactly what I need! Then again I don't have anywhere to store the barrels that wouldn't freeze in the winter. :(
Glockmeister

Molon Labe!

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”