Erik's Upgraded Drinking Water Storage w/Pics

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:38 pm

Erik, you should really look into some manual bung pumps for getting the water back out of the drums.

http://www.drummates.com/products.htm

That site has info on three types of manual pumps, to get you started. They arent typically that expensive, I think $30-50 for a good one, and far less than that for one if Harbor Freight has them. They screw into the bunghole :lol: and are pretty easy to operate. It's a lot easier than a siphon, thats for sure.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:51 pm

Hehehe...you said bung
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Erik

Post by Erik » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:49 am

crypto wrote:Erik, you should really look into some manual bung pumps for getting the water back out of the drums.

http://www.drummates.com/products.htm

That site has info on three types of manual pumps, to get you started. They arent typically that expensive, I think $30-50 for a good one, and far less than that for one if Harbor Freight has them. They screw into the bunghole :lol: and are pretty easy to operate. It's a lot easier than a siphon, thats for sure.
I may do that! Thanks!

-Erik

Biff

Post by Biff » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Last edited by Biff on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

safariteam5

Post by safariteam5 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:17 am

Awesome post Erik. I will have to stop by next time I am home in NC (probably in June/July) and get you to show me where to get some. I imagine my father-in-law would let me store a few in his barn until I am living in the US again.
De Oppresso Liber

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Re: Erik's Upgraded Drinking Water Storage w/Pics

Post by Cymro » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:54 am

Very, very nicely done, Sir. Any plans to expand your storage capacity further, or are you calling it sufficient for now?

Erik wrote: Drought, do your worst!

-Erik
Please don't jinx us.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Post by SweetTea » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:23 am

Awesome job, Erik! I wish I wasn't moving soon, or I would totally copy you.
*remembers to give schlafly a call once settled down*

Erik

Post by Erik » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:55 pm

Per Crypto's advice, I have purchased a bung pump.

-Erik

Famine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of The Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by Famine » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:33 pm

Erik wrote:Per Crypto's advice, I have purchased a bung pump.

-Erik
*snickers*

Kevin
NNYWCT Alum! We Bug Out Harder!
crypto wrote:Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:48 pm

I am up to a whole 6 gallons now. So between me and the dog I have a whole 3 days water. I am still shamed by Erik and his uber water storage capacity.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

Shep

Post by Shep » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:06 am

Can you tell us what the purchase price of the actual water was based off your water bill?

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:11 am

Shep wrote:Can you tell us what the purchase price of the actual water was based off your water bill?
Boy, darned if I know. A typical monthly water bill for me is $11.25. So I don't know, another five or ten bucks in water?

-Erik

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Woman Drowns in 55 gallon water barrel.

http://www.koat.com/news/14993696/detail.html

Eric.........don't go diving head first after cats if they drop into the barrel.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:00 am

You can actually move these when they are full. It takes talent, and two people, or one person who *really* knows what they are doing. Just tip it up on edge (not too far) until it reaches a balance point. This is about 25-30 degrees from vertical. Now you grab the top rim and turn it like a steering wheel and the drum will roll (tangentially) in the direction you are rotating. To steer, don't turn; tip it in a slightly different direction and keep rolling.

Anyone who has run a floor buffer will understand the concept.

Apollo-11

Post by Apollo-11 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:04 am

Erik wrote:
Shep wrote:Can you tell us what the purchase price of the actual water was based off your water bill?
Boy, darned if I know. A typical monthly water bill for me is $11.25. So I don't know, another five or ten bucks in water?

-Erik
I just looked at some city water websites for us. They were talking about how dumb it is to pay $1.50 a bottle for bottled water when most of it is just tap water anyway. They said that a gallon of city water costs just about 0.7 cents (7/10 of one cent).

So if that's right, a 55 gallon drum would cost 38.5 cents to fill. Your 8 drums would be $3.08 if your rates are similar to ours. Good guess.

doctor_ocks

Post by doctor_ocks » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Excuse my noobiness, but how long will that keep before you need to swap it out or add more bleach?
Jeriah wrote:Gimme one in .505 and a time machine so I can take a picture of myself putting my balls in a dead T rex's mouth.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:19 pm

I figure a couple of years before a swap.

-Erik

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:18 pm

doctor_ocks wrote:Excuse my noobiness, but how long will that keep before you need to swap it out or add more bleach?
Depends on water quality and if it was chlorinated prior to storage. Bare minimum even lightly chlorinated water should give you over a year of storage time.

The only problem with opaque barrel storage containers is you can't see whether a film or minerals are depositing on the inside of the containers. That's one good reason to have a regular schedule that you check all of your preps, including your stored water.

FriedCheese

Post by FriedCheese » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:04 pm

Hey Erik.

How are your shipping skillz? :)

I wonder ... how much it would cost to ship, say.... 6 - or 8 of those bad boys to Colorado from NC?
I've done lots of searches here, and I can find "NEW" ones for $50 + tax.

I bet maybe a few others here in CO would split the costs.... of shipping plus "Erik Beer or new unused gas mask fees...". :lol:

~Cheese
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Erik

Post by Erik » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:28 am

FriedCheese wrote:Hey Erik.

How are your shipping skillz? :)

I wonder ... how much it would cost to ship, say.... 6 - or 8 of those bad boys to Colorado from NC?
I've done lots of searches here, and I can find "NEW" ones for $50 + tax.

I bet maybe a few others here in CO would split the costs.... of shipping plus "Erik Beer or new unused gas mask fees...". :lol:

~Cheese
You might find it's no more expensive to buy them locally. They'd have to go on one or two skids, wrapped, and be shipped via freight. It would cost an arm and a leg. It would probably be cheaper in the end to just buy six or eight of them locally.

-Erik

LittleTeapot
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by LittleTeapot » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:43 am

That is a truly inspiring setup.
Insert Witty Signature Here

>>> Join Zombie Squad

ant69
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by ant69 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 am

Nice job Erik, inspiring indeed. Makes the the eight cases of bottled water and two cases of CG approved water pouches that I have set aside look weak in comparison. Ant

Umbrella

Post by Umbrella » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 pm

Erik wrote:
AwPhuch wrote:Cool Erik...do you have a hand pump to get the water out..or are you going to gravity feed with syphon
I'm going to syphon the old fashioned way.

-Erik
If that is the plan you need a few of these.

http://www.supersyphon.com/

All you have to do is add it to hose and jiggle.
--Umbrella Corporation--
International Biological Solutions

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:55 pm

I see I need to post some pics of distillation of sea water/brackish for us coastal persons. (though I won't mention the artesian wells located less than a klick away).

Seriously, excellent post. Fresh water and sanitation issues will be, in my mind, the deciding factor for successful survival. A few weeks without sanitation (sewage pump stations) in my area, will render the region a biological hazard.

The drought situation is becoming quite interesting here. Though locally we are in good shape, the rest of the state is looking to divert several million gallons of water from the St. Johns a day to water other people's lawns. Just recently, are landscape watering restrictions going into effect. Not to vent (but I will), if one must implement restrictions...perhaps the grass and landscape should be let to die (statewide) BEFORE it's too late.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”