PAW Supply Closet

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Lantazan

Re: PAW Supply Closet

Post by Lantazan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:25 am

(New Member.....sorry)

When everybody gets a chance to meet me I'll have to show you my kitchen.....Looks just like your "Red Room"!

streetpig1690

Post by streetpig1690 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:10 am

Just browsing the threads and saw this and even thoughit is an old thread I thought I would add my two cents. Great job! One tip I would give you, and not about your construction skills, its about your rice. Don't know if you did this or not but freeze your rice for about two weeks. This should kill any bugs, or and their eggs. Also get on line and buy some six gallon mylar bags to store your rice in and then place the rice in five gallon buckets. Throw in a few bayleaves and you will have portable food and your rice will last years with no bugs, and no rodents getting into it. I read somewhere that the average family in asia eats around 400lbs of rice or more a year. I have taken that to heart since rice is so cheap, and a good stomach filler. In my preps I quit buying canned soups and stews that are the normal sized cans. I have started purchasing the family size cans. Reason: I figure one large can of stew or soup mixed in with a couple cups of rice will allow the family to have something that taste fairly descent and their tummies will be filled with the rice.
Also water is important. If you dont have access to a hand pump well if the grid and other services go down you will have no water. I have placed a 57 gallon rain barrel on each corner of the house that is connected to my downspouts. Got the barrels at Home Depot and each one has a small faucet to get to the water. Add a little bleach every now and then and I have 228 gallons of fresh water.

glaston
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD

Post by glaston » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 am

Sorry to barge in on this thread here. I just joined but haven't had a chance to introduce myself yet. But I want to throw in some thoughts I had on your supplies. Good job on the construction, your attic space reminds me exactly of mine. Mine was like that when I moved in though, but the house is roughly the same age as yours. Mine gets real hot in the summer and real cold in the winter. Not the best conditions for storage due to that. I use it for storage of PAW things like tools, building supplies and blankets and clothes. Non perishable items.
Anyway.
MRE's do not stay good indefinitely unless they're kept frozen. Their shelf life is dependent upon the temperature and humidity of the room you store them in. There are codes printed on the individual components inside each MRE that indicate when they were packed. From that you can determine how long they last. Back in the 80's most of the stuff in MRE's was freeze dried so it lasted considerably longer than current MRE's, which is where the confusion about them lasting forever comes from.
Todays MRE's have nowhere near the same shelf life. They can last anywhere from 1 month when stored at 120 degrees-F, to 5 years when stored at 50 degrees-F. But on average they should last around 50 months when stored at a consistent 60 degrees. Some things are gonna last longer of course. Generally speaking, vegetarian meals should theoretically last a little longer. If the packaging on any of the component parts is swelled that means it's no good.
http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-shelf-life.html
There's more efficient ways of getting and storing water than in gallon milk jugs. Those jugs are biodegradeable and will break down over time according to environmental conditions. Most grocery stores, even wal-marts allow you to buy and fill those larger 5 gallon "Hinckley&Schmitt" style hard plastic bottles. Those are the kind I use. Where I work they throw them away frequently and I keep them and fill em and seal em. Most areas also have "Water Stores" where you can buy sealed 50 gallon plastic cans of purified water. You can even just buy the cans and fill em yourself if you want. But if you have the money to buy in larger quantity like that you're much better off because you end up paying less in the long run and the container is of better quality and keeps the water good much longer without having to rotate.
Another thing is you might consider getting some sort of shelving for your preps. Keeping them in totes puts stress on all the individual cans and packages and seriously reduces the amount of things you can keep in them. You also then have to keep pulling a lot of other things out to get to other things, which makes rotation more difficult and put extra wear on everything as things bang together.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:21 am

glaston wrote:Sorry to barge in on this thread here. I just joined but haven't had a chance to introduce myself yet.
Let me be the first to say WELCOME!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

glaston
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD

Post by glaston » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 am

Thank you sir!!

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:13 am

Thanks for mentioning the water. Your intentions are good. If you look at my signature, one of the links is to my water storage. I have about 500 gallons of stored water, most of it in plastic food-grade 55 gallon barrels. The gallon milk jugs do indeed break over time and will develop pinhole leaks. For storage of smaller quantities of water, I recommend using 2-liter soft drink bottles. They really are nearly indestructible, are free, and they don't leak. One drop of unscented bleach will disinfect a 2-liter.
glaston wrote:There's more efficient ways of getting and storing water than in gallon milk jugs. Those jugs are biodegradeable and will break down over time according to environmental conditions. Most grocery stores, even wal-marts allow you to buy and fill those larger 5 gallon "Hinckley&Schmitt" style hard plastic bottles. Those are the kind I use. Where I work they throw them away frequently and I keep them and fill em and seal em. Most areas also have "Water Stores" where you can buy sealed 50 gallon plastic cans of purified water. You can even just buy the cans and fill em yourself if you want. But if you have the money to buy in larger quantity like that you're much better off because you end up paying less in the long run and the container is of better quality and keeps the water good much longer without having to rotate.
Another thing is you might consider getting some sort of shelving for your preps. Keeping them in totes puts stress on all the individual cans and packages and seriously reduces the amount of things you can keep in them. You also then have to keep pulling a lot of other things out to get to other things, which makes rotation more difficult and put extra wear on everything as things bang together.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”