PAW Supply Closet

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

shillard

Post by shillard » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Jeriah wrote: I don't see the point of buying bottled water, then breaking the seal, which means you have to add bleach, which makes it taste worse than tap water. Why not just rotate your stock of bottled water occasionally? Most of us could stand to drink more water anyway.
My long-term water storage is comprised of 5 Litre casks - mylar bags encased in cardboard, an Australian brand "Noble's" - about as pure as pure water gets, and probably good for decades as long as the bag remains sealed. These are easy to transport (around 5.1kg), easy to stack, and offer the bonus of a useful mylar bag or emergency pillow once drained.

We keep 1 in the boot of each vehicle, and rotate those every six months as it gets pretty hot here. I currently have 16 of them stored in the house (still rebuilding supplies lost in the deluge), along with around 20 litres in individual plastic bottles that are rotated far more frequently.
Ewige Blumenkraft!

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:56 pm

supplies lost in the deluge

There a thread describing the deluge? what happended? what u learned?

Dr. Quickdraw McGraw

Post by Dr. Quickdraw McGraw » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:06 pm

It would be nice to see an update to this seeing as Eric has moved the bulk if not all of his water to his basement. Whats up with the closet???
"A man can live on processed food from here till judgement day if he has enough Rosemary" - Shepherd Book

For the record I am, AR, .45, pie.

shillard

Post by shillard » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:38 pm

southalabama wrote:supplies lost in the deluge

There a thread describing the deluge? what happended? what u learned?
I've been meaning to document it, but at heart I'm a lazy bitch, and nobody has dangled a big bonus around it as a KPI so my motivation is lacking. :wink:

May get around to finishing it and uploading it to the "experiences" forum today.
Ewige Blumenkraft!

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Erik wrote:There you go, hating on my living room AGAIN, CC! :(

Let the good folks here decide - do you like my living room colors or not? Tell me now! :D

-Erik
Actually that red is almost a dead on match to the one we were considering in our living room... The problem we had\have is that our living room does have really good natural light, so when we put it up it made the room seem very small. So, we stuck with white on the walls and put up floor to ceiling drapes along two of the walls which are still almost that same color (AND they serve to help keep the cold contained in the winter since our 1894 brick house isn't known for it's high insulation values...)

So, from me, thumbs up.

Ice

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Re: PAW Supply Closet

Post by AmirMortal » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:45 am

Nicely done! Wish I had a second story to work with, as it is my back door is sliding glass, not much chance of bugging in :( Must say the shade of red is not offensive to my questionable taste.

That actually looks a lot like the standard Florida hurricane stash, water is one of those things, have and not need etc. Purification tablets dont weigh much or take a lot of space.

You might consider an extra, sealed tin of ammo in with that room also, JIC.

Can openers? not ergo-friendly, but ye olde p38 costs a quarter apiece, weigh nothing, and each case of anything can have one in it. Got any multi-vitamins to offset the ramen?

As far as that rope and pulley system, consider a closed loop, with a carabiner attached (minimize distractions when under duress) rather than tying knots as you go. That way it can be operated from anywhere you can reach the rope. You can also prepare the point of attachment to the structure ahead of time with an eye bolt. A climbing pulley with another carabiner, will allow you to keep it all tucked away, out of the weather, but ready for deployment. You also get to practice rappelling and such if you reinforce your point sufficiently. (Sorry, I get carried away. I jump at any opportunity to be on rope.)

I was wondering what is the footprint of those supplies? That setup looks like it'll work great

mr.trooper

Re:

Post by mr.trooper » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:05 pm

Jeriah wrote: Where's the snake?
In my pants.

Oh, good job Eric.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

End

Post by End » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:43 pm

I think you did a great job to. But I think there is one thing that would make it perfect, make hidden door for it. A book self one would go the best in that room.

codecowboy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by codecowboy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Very nice work on the closet!
---Codecowboy

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Eric I am so impressed with the closet building. I wouldn't even think to do that, let alone know how.
I also noticed that your bins match the blue walls. tres chic. ;)

and looking your pics was like taking an acid trip, without the acid. so an added bonus.

also, I kept giggling at jamoni's "man closet"
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Erik

Post by Erik » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:32 pm

Why, thank you!

iMack

Post by iMack » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Hmm, looks awesome. I like the new closet, I think you did a good job. I have but one question...

You said it only gets to about 80 degrees in your attic, is that with or without air conditioning? That might factor into the storage life of everything in there if you couldnt keep the AC running, like in a PAW. Just curious, but kudos on the closet.

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:07 am

Without air conditioning, the entire house will become the temperature of the outdoors. In the summer, that will mean 95 degrees. In the winter, that will mean 30 degrees. So the lifespan of the food will be lowered by the summer temperatures, but the winter temperatures will hopefully do something to counterbalance that. I can't think of anything I can do about the temperature.

Snapcat

Post by Snapcat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 am

Great job, I've been meaning to investigate any dead spaces that could be turned into a closet. How did you go about finding the dead space? Also, why did you put a door on it and not a hidden door (sliding bookcase, etc.) to this closet?

Erik

Post by Erik » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:59 pm

Mainly I did not put a sliding bookshelf into place because I didn't think of it until I was done.

The attic in my house is divided into two parts. One side of the attic can be accessed by a full-sized door at the top of my stairs. It only made sense the other side could be accessed, so I removed a wall at the back of a small closet in the opposite room to find it.

Arch

Post by Arch » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Erik,

Don't let anyone tease you about the red walls....some of us like them....

This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

Kommando E

Post by Kommando E » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:21 pm

Damn, Erik I'd say you did an awesome job on making your Closet. I'd really like to have a PAW Closet too in my house...though, I hope I don't have to build it myself :shock: :lol:

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Yay for red! And thanks for the compliments.

I'm strongly considering adding a swinging bookcase to hide the door. Whaddya' all think?

thelight
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Special Dead, Evil Dead, Army of Darkness

Post by thelight » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:42 pm

A loan bookcase with no clearance from the wall will look suspicious. However, if you make it a built-in bookcase, it will be harder to detect as anything but a bookcase. You can hide hinges really easily in the trim molding around the case...
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rush2112 wrote:TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Ooh, good point.

NOIZ3

Post by NOIZ3 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:41 pm

Theres a chance that I may have missed it but how much did your closet project run you?

Erik

Post by Erik » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:24 am

Oh, I'd say $400 for *everything*. I even bought some of the tools, including a reciprocating saw.

You can cut it down to $300 or even less if you have all the tools, maybe ten spare feet of wiring, a spare electrical outlet, etc.

NOIZ3

Post by NOIZ3 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:47 pm

Wow... Good stuff. Makes me want to look into building something now. :mrgreen:

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:51 am

I'm a little concerned that I can read your name and ADDRESS on the boxes in the photos--now everyone knows where this gear is...

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”