PAW Supply Closet

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Benbrutal

Paw closet

Post by Benbrutal » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Your living room looks good to me. The one thing I hate about my house is the "open floor plan" that makes painting it a PITA because of the lack of borders. I might have to use some half columns and half beams to make a visual border so I can change the never-to-be-sufficently-damned white walls. Main advantage of owning is being able to paint the damn walls.
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:02 pm

Looks pretty good. I think you may have to give up your amateur status.

Seriously, let me know next time you plan on doing something like this, and I'll see about popping up that way to give a hand. Over the course of this summer I've actually gotten pretty decent at things like this.*

*Been working as a painter, and the GC on our jobsite has fucked up so badly and so often that we've ended up doing a lot of drywall/carpentry/wiring to fix his mistakes, just so's we can paint that bitch. :evil:
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Good job on the closet - I've done some remodeling/framing/drywall in my time and you did a good job for not having done it before.

Working on a little space in my bedroom closet my self with buckets of food and such. Thanks for your inspiration.

Your living room is beautiful too, you need some art on them walls though! :wink:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

BHP

Post by BHP » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:47 pm

While I have no comment on your living room, I don't have to live there so what do I care, I do have one suggestion about security. Remove the picture that has your name and mailing address on it otherwise some of these unwashed heathens will be tempted to come in and take your stuff.

I have already made note of where you live and your real name, I'll be droping in soon...

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:09 pm

I just plan on sending him junk mail.

Grace

Post by Grace » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:18 pm

The best prank by far is to give him subscriptions to bizarre fetish magazines, only alter his address slightly so that it goes to his neighbor, who has to then give it to Erik every time it arrives on his doorstep.
I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver. And since he is so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and give it to him.

AntiZombie Corps

Post by AntiZombie Corps » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:28 pm

nice job :D

makes me want to consider scavenging around during Z-day

Erik

Post by Erik » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:59 pm

I think I'll stick my wife and I's BOBs in there too....

-Erik

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:04 pm

I like the red. As long as it's not pink...I hate pink!
Are you planning to bug in where you are?
In my supplies, I went to the dollar store and stocked up on basic kitchen tools (cheap stirring spoons,spatulas etc) and I also got lots of paper goods and cheap plastic sheets, and garbage bags. I have to agree about the water; if you regularly drink soda, then your just as well off rinsing a 2 liter bottle and filling it with tap. However, it IS easier to just pick up a case of gallons as Sam's. I will have to check into how good the plastic jugs are.
What about using some of those water cooler jugs for water storage?

Your set up looks good to me!
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Echo6Tango

Post by Echo6Tango » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:21 pm

I agree with Jeriah...pics with lots of guns and ammo are absolutely cool, but this is a fine example of being prepared for far more than simply holding off the zombies and raiders. All the guns and ammo in the world will do little good when you're holed up in your house without any supplies to keep you and yours alive for a length of time. I hate to pull a scene from a "fictional" movie, but in Dawn of the Dead, the owner of the gun store across from the mall was starving to death (before being bitten) even though he was armed to the teeth.

GREAT job on the construction! I’ve done some home improvement jobs in the past (not to the scale that you took on) with nothing more than a few pages printed from the Internet or a cheesy do-it-yourself book. It has worked for me and the wife so far, but we have not busted down any dry wall and studs yet…yet :D
"My family would want me to stay alive. Your family would want you to stay alive. You think you're so smart, man, but you're just a bunch of scared kids."
"So what do you think you are?"
"Alone, I guess."
"No, you're not."
- Red Dawn, 1984

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:27 am

You should have posted a pic of the ceiling after you fell through it. :wink:
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:06 am

Erik wrote:Good one, Jamoni. Try to add a little value to your place and you do ten thousand dollars in water damage to your house! :lol: (I don't know why I'm laughing with some of the bonehead stuff I've done).

-Erik
It wasn't my house. :oops:
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Hoolllllly crap! Glad I wasn't you just then. :shock:

-Erik

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Nice work, Erik! I'll second the comment about the can opener. The one in your tote won't last long. Swing-A-Way are the can openers that NASA sent into space. I've used them all my life and I've never found anything better for home use.

jmcanon92

Post by jmcanon92 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:16 pm

Towanda wrote:Nice work, Erik! I'll second the comment about the can opener. The one in your tote won't last long. Swing-A-Way are the can openers that NASA sent into space. I've used them all my life and I've never found anything better for home use.
Swing a way is a lot easier on your hands than a regular one.
Your suplies look good. Do you have any other supplies that you dont keep there?(beside you work or car kits)

paperclip

Post by paperclip » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:35 pm

I think that project is real pratical. One effort with multiple results (making storage space, learning construction and increasing your home's value). Don't be so critical of your skills, what better place to learn than a closet that has its door closed most of the time!
DFWMTX wrote:
It's less about saving the enviroment and more about control. Who needs Big Brother when you've got Mother Gaia?

David_K

Post by David_K » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:36 pm

WTF is with your camera? All your pictures look like I'm seeing them through a carnival distorted mirror.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:17 pm

Damn, just saw the pics of downstairs. Eric, I like you. I respect you. We have shared Manbath, and nothing can ever alter that, but, is that RED AND YELLOW SEMI GLOSS?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:19 pm

Towanda wrote:Nice work, Erik! I'll second the comment about the can opener. The one in your tote won't last long. Swing-A-Way are the can openers that NASA sent into space. I've used them all my life and I've never found anything better for home use.
Get a Swing-A-Way from a thrift store. I've noticed that the new ones have really gone down in quality.
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:47 am

jamoni wrote:Damn, just saw the pics of downstairs. Eric, I like you. I respect you. We have shared Manbath, and nothing can ever alter that, but, is that RED AND YELLOW SEMI GLOSS?
Mike,

The red and yellow walls ROCK! How can you not like them? Have you no taste?!? I suppose all your And they are flat, not semi-gloss. I bet all your rooms are boring white walls with white trim! Grow some cajones, buy some @#&!$& red paint and get to work! Immediately! :twisted:

Do you like the bedroom and wardrobe better?

And David_K, I already stated that the lens is a wide-angle lens. In tight spaces, you can use WALs to get more of the closet in the picture. Unfortunately, the fish-eye effect is very noticable.

-Erik

fixitman

Post by fixitman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:17 am

Great idea, and the execution looks pretty good actually, especially considering how bad the original construction was.
My worst home upgrade ever, was rewiring the outlets in an old house we were renting. The existing outlets in the living and dining rooms were 2 prong/not grounded. I decided to upgrade to 3 prong/grounded... Thats when I discovered the house had FOUR sets of wiring... The original wiring was 2 separate wires running on ceramic posts because they had little or no insulation. Then there was the area that was wired 2 wire cloth wrapped insulation. The 3rd area was 2 wire plasic insulation. The 4th area was a bedroom with modern 3 wire. And of course I added the 5th wiring area....

That original "2 separate wires on ceramic posts" was truly scary, since large sections were not even insulated. I rewired that section too. Funny thing is, this was a rental house. The owner saw what I did and gave us a months free rent.

Oh, my sister would love your paint job. Red is her favorite color, and she loves deep intense colors on the walls. I probably woulnt want those dark colors, too hard to keep the place illuminated. Each to thier own :D

Now we gotta wait for the next closet, when that one fills up!
screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers, Oh my!

The Ron

Post by The Ron » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Yay! Many more people should be willing to do a job badly. So many of us, because we think we won't do something "right" end up doing nothing at all.

I agree with the rest though, that it looks much better than you describe it.
Also, very wise to put the insulation in. The attic heat might have cooked those MREs otherwise. Their shelf life goes way down when the heat goes up.

Way to get away from white on off-white paint for the main rooms! I keep painting bathrooms in primary colors and my wife keeps "softening" the effect. Bah.

One thing you have probably thought about already on the closet. Is the floor strong enough to hold all the weight of that water? 50 gallons * 8lbs each = 400 lbs + weight of the other gear. Hopefully you've got some of those rough-hewn timbers underneath.
Kathy in FL wrote:Makes me want to have a screaming hissy fit ... and boys, that is not a pretty sight.

"Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother, is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light." 1 John

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:36 pm

Indeed, there are rough-hewn 2X4s underneath. I'd think 400 pounds would be nothing on a floor, even for a poorly constructed house. 400 pounds is only twice my weight. We'll see if the cieling collapses. :)

-Erik

Citizen Simon
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Citizen Simon » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:55 pm

Very nice stock pile. I am working on mine right now. Here in about three weeks I think I will post my BOL supply closet as well. You've given me some insipration on some things, and ideas that I will impliment as soon as I get this wedding payed for.

Thanks for leaving my address on the MREs in the pic... :twisted:
I survived Zombie Con 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 07
I survived LA Camp and Shoot 09

AK-9-Pie

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”